BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-01-10 9:27 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s!

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

January 11-2
Chris - Hamster Wheel

Dooo Eeettt!!!

Is anyone else racing?

Thanks Janyne, but I am hardly racing. I'm helping a friend get in mileage, so he is hoping for a metric century as he preps for the Rift in Iceland.  My only two hopes are to stave off boredom and avoid saddle sores.

Oh yeah, TW will be hoping to sell Piggy's OOMF socks. Let me know if you want a pair, Oink, Oink My Friends!

2020-01-10 9:28 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Racing Manatees!!!

January 11-2
Chris - Hamster Wheel

Dooo Eeettt!!!

Is anyone else racing?

Go Chris! Have fun

And thank you for the challenge spreadhsheet. I'm on it!

Have a great weekend everyone
2020-01-10 9:37 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by cdban66

Racing Manatees!!!

January 11-2
Chris - Hamster Wheel

Dooo Eeettt!!!

Is anyone else racing?

Thanks Janyne, but I am hardly racing. I'm helping a friend get in mileage, so he is hoping for a metric century as he preps for the Rift in Iceland.  My only two hopes are to stave off boredom and avoid saddle sores.

Oh yeah, TW will be hoping to sell Piggy's OOMF socks. Let me know if you want a pair, Oink, Oink My Friends!

Good luck to you and your friend! The Rift looks amazing! 

2020-01-10 9:54 AM
in reply to: UberClydesdale

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by UberClydesdale

Originally posted by alaskatri
Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Hey Curtis!! Good to see you here!! --TS

Ditto, fellow Laramieite.

Laramie, Wyoming?

Yep! I live in Laramie, Wyo! Gotta love trying to train when it usually below freezing outside, but @alaskatri you are well aware of that! --Tom

I lived in Laramie, Wyoming for 6 years.  I pulled out my cross country race spikes a few times on ice days for outdoor runs.  They weren't very effective.  I took my fair share of ice-related wipeouts, put mostly just learned to run the straight and walk the corners.  The bad weather builds character.  

2020-01-10 9:59 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

January 11-2
Chris - Hamster Wheel

Dooo Eeettt!!!

Is anyone else racing?

Chris, you know that we use "Racing" kind of generically. Whether actually racing or participating in and event, it goes on the list!

Good luck with the saddle sore avoidance!

2020-01-10 10:55 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

Hey Curtis!! Good to see you here!! --TS

Ditto, fellow Laramieite.

Laramie, Wyoming?

Yep! I live in Laramie, Wyo! Gotta love trying to train when it usually below freezing outside, but @alaskatri you are well aware of that! --Tom

I lived in Laramie, Wyoming for 6 years.  I pulled out my cross country race spikes a few times on ice days for outdoor runs.  They weren't very effective.  I took my fair share of ice-related wipeouts, put mostly just learned to run the straight and walk the corners.  The bad weather builds character.  

I lived in Laramie for a few years as well. Long before I decided to go to law school, I actually went to WyoTech up there and then worked in auto body shops for a number of years. The GM dealership there in town used to be called Burman Motors way back and I worked there. My wife is from CO and is a UW grad. She and I met when I was up there. We drove the kids through there a couple of summers ago and showed them the town where we met, then we drove out to the area back in behind Vedauwoo and did some trout fishing in the beaver ponds. I also got really into fly fishing when I lived there - I grew up in Cali and never did it until I met my wife and her family. I ended up working part time at the West Laramie Fly Shop for about a year and a half. We stopped in there on our last trip and the guy that I worked for, his grandson now runs the place.

Alaska is cold for sure. But honestly, it's nothing like that Laramie wind. We sometimes tell the kids about how we used to have go out in the mornings and cross the street to see where our car was parked because the sides of all the cars that faced our apartment would drift so bad that all the cars were buried, but the other side of the cars were completely clean. So if you forgot where you parked, you had to get to the clean side to figure out which one was yours. They can't even grasp the concept. Such great memories.

2020-01-10 11:07 AM

I've linked and unlinked strava and fitbit a few times now and can't seem to get the data to automatically carry over. I might have to start doing manual entry I guess if I can't get them to read each other.
2020-01-10 11:18 AM
in reply to: alaskatri

I've linked and unlinked strava and fitbit a few times now and can't seem to get the data to automatically carry over. I might have to start doing manual entry I guess if I can't get them to read each other.

I think I found the answer. Apparently Strava doesn't support indoor activities like treadmill because they don't have GPS data. It's wintertime in Alaska, so all of my running will have to be entered manually.
2020-01-10 12:26 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Right. Do you have a fitness watch? My garmin tracks steps so it can track (not that well) so it can record treadmill runs which go to Strava ... several folks here have invested in footpods to go with their watch for treadmill running (not me at this point)

that's so funny about the wind and the snow banks! 

Happy Friday all! I have a few folks on my Instagram who are doing the Disney Marathon and Dopey Challenge - and i have to say i am intrigued but i don't think i am in the place where i would enjoy in the way it's supposed to. How long do people wait in line for character photos? And all the costumes i do think are fun but are so not me ... what say you manatees - what are the pros and cons of these races? 

2020-01-10 1:19 PM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina

Originally posted by IronOx

Originally posted by juniperjen

Hello to Mark, Robin and Chris - happy Thursday.

I went back to the office today after a holiday break. My daughter is still on break but at my parents' house being spoiled at the moment. My little guy was happy to go see his friends at daycare this morning. Anyway, nice to have some quiet time (hahahaha, work is quiet time) to organize myself and be out of the house. Because work is also very very quiet. I suspect that by the middle of next week it will be super crazy but until then i will just keep at it. 

So, with the new year is the build up to the HIM. Workout planned for tonight is lane swim - i probably will procrastinate on going but i think if i post it here it will be public accountability - right?? Manatees? You will keep me accountable?? 

And so to kick off some discussion: i have read so much and know so many early birds who workout at the crack of dawn (Janyne, I am looking at you) but I have accepted that for me this training cycle will be primarily evening training. This is about making life work and for me i have my tri club swim late two days a week. It's 8:30pm which is awesome because my kids are in bed and i don't miss family time. But this also makes waking up early super difficult. And, my 2.5 year old is not all that consistent about not waking up at 3am and still wakes up at 6am so for me the early morning is good in theory is not terribly practical for me at this time. 

When in the day do you workout? Is this your preference or would you change if your circumstances were different? 

I try to get at least one workout done in the early AM.  NOT because I am a morning person--I am not!  But being tired after work is too easy an excuse for me to use....I learned that lesson very well again this past fall.  If I didn't work, I would definitely not get up early to work out

Yeah, that's Kevin's thing.  He calls it no excuses workouts!

I'm late chiming in on this question, but I'm glad you posted it because I have a huge aversion to early morning workouts.

My preference is to workout between 9-11 a.m. However, because I have to be an responsible adult and work, that poses a problem. My workday begins at 7:00 a.m., and I have to be on the road by 6:15 to get to work. I'm usually out the door by 6:00. Thus, in order for me to workout 'before work' really would mean a 4:00 a.m. workout. NOT going to happen.

The one thing I will do is swim before work. The pool opens at 5:00 a.m. (the YMCA opens 30 minutes prior, so you can be suited up and ready to break down the door to the pool deck at 5 if needed). Because the pool is 10 minutes from work, I have time to swim for an hour, shower, get ready, grab breakfast and still be at work by 7. I do not do this as often as I'd like, though, because I have 3 dogs, and if my husband is traveling for work that week (which he does 30 weeks of the year), they have to go from 4:30 a.m. until almost 4:00 p.m. without a pee break. That's not fair.

I have been on my bike training at 4:45 in the morning when given a split session and part of it just had to get done in the morning.

My body HATES running in the morning. It hurts to run that early, so it's not happening.

Being a teacher means I'm done with work at 3:00 and am usually home between 3:30-4:00. That leaves some room to get things done before dark and before dinner.
2020-01-10 1:22 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

Right. Do you have a fitness watch? My garmin tracks steps so it can track (not that well) so it can record treadmill runs which go to Strava ... several folks here have invested in footpods to go with their watch for treadmill running (not me at this point)

Yes, I have the Fitbit Versa. So I hit the treadmill exercise function as soon as I start and it tracks my time, speed, distance, steps, and heart rate. In looking for answers this morning I came across this:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Ionic/Unable-to-Sync-Treadmill-Exerc...

Essentially, if there is not a GPS track on something, which Fitbit does not do with treadmill running since you don't actually go anywhere, then Fitbit doesn't export that to Strava. I found another thread elsewhere that says Garmin does export that type of data even if you are just running in place.

2020-01-10 1:33 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Yes, I have the Fitbit Versa. So I hit the treadmill exercise function as soon as I start and it tracks my time, speed, distance, steps, and heart rate. In looking for answers this morning I came across this: https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Ionic/Unable-to-Sync-Treadmill-Exerc... Essentially, if there is not a GPS track on something, which Fitbit does not do with treadmill running since you don't actually go anywhere, then Fitbit doesn't export that to Strava. I found another thread elsewhere that says Garmin does export that type of data even if you are just running in place.

This is true, my Garmin 935 exports my (rare) treadmill runs to strava without issue.

2020-01-10 1:48 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Happy Friday all! I have a few folks on my Instagram who are doing the Disney Marathon and Dopey Challenge - and i have to say i am intrigued but i don't think i am in the place where i would enjoy in the way it's supposed to. How long do people wait in line for character photos? And all the costumes i do think are fun but are so not me ... what say you manatees - what are the pros and cons of these races? 

I ran the half back in 2011(?). The benefit is that it is an experience, not a race for most of us. If you want to be motivated by one of the Green Army Men from Toy Story yelling at you as you climb the exit ramp at mile 11, this is the event for you. If you want to run a 5K, a 10K, a HM and a full marathon in a four day stretch, the Goofy or Dopey is for you. If you want to see princes, princesses, people cheering all along the course, run through a piece of the back lot at Magic Kingdom or run past Cinderella's castle, this is the event for you. If you want to visit the Magic Kingdom the next day for free (if they still do this), this is the event for you. The issue is that you spend way too much time in buses, corrals, people traffic, character lines, etc. Wanna wake up before 3 to sit in traffic at 4:30 on the Disney roads? If you want to PR or are a person that likes to show up, stretch, run, and go home, then don't do this event. 

All that said, it was a great experience and if I can ever run somewhat well again, I want to sign up for the Dopey Challenge.

2020-01-10 1:58 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Living in Orlando and training with the LRS that runs the Disney races I am exposed to them a lot! I run with a couple of people who have done every Disney marathon (this is year 27) and others like me who were one and done (though i also did the HM the following year).  Disney is a tough race to get a PR unless you are one of the very fast runners who are slotted in the first or second corral. There are lots of runners and a good deal of the course is narrow and twisty as you run through the parks. It can also be hot -like this year. 

As far as getting pictures with the characters and in front of Cinderella's castle - that shocked me the first time i saw it! Some runners will stop at every character or other photo op (I think there is a pretty big group of walkers) and others who won't stop at all. You make this race what you want. Some runners are all costumed out, but most (unless things have changed since I volunteered a couple of years ago) are not. I think the Princess and StarWars HMs get more people dressed up then these "regular" races. 

The same goes for the Goofy and Dopey participants - some try for good times others are there just to finish.  

Me, I don't do costumes and if I enter a race I try to finish it as quickly as I can so no stopping for pictures! But for some crazy reason, there are people who disagree with me  and enjoy the costumes and picture taking.

2020-01-10 1:58 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

I ran the half back in 2011(?). The benefit is that it is an experience, not a race for most of us. If you want to be motivated by one of the Green Army Men from Toy Story yelling at you as you climb the exit ramp at mile 11, this is the event for you. If you want to run a 5K, a 10K, a HM and a full marathon in a four day stretch, the Goofy or Dopey is for you. If you want to see princes, princesses, people cheering all along the course, run through a piece of the back lot at Magic Kingdom or run past Cinderella's castle, this is the event for you. If you want to visit the Magic Kingdom the next day for free (if they still do this), this is the event for you. The issue is that you spend way too much time in buses, corrals, people traffic, character lines, etc. Wanna wake up before 3 to sit in traffic at 4:30 on the Disney roads? If you want to PR or are a person that likes to show up, stretch, run, and go home, then don't do this event. 

All that said, it was a great experience and if I can ever run somewhat well again, I want to sign up for the Dopey Challenge.

Thanks Chris!! hahahaha, i really enjoyed the sly negative things slid in there with positive phrasing. I am definitely watching and thinking that i am still at the point where the cost of the event would make it my main event of the year but then i would be dissatisfied because i feel like i still have athletic accomplishments to achieve ... for future years! 

2020-01-10 2:04 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

FYI, they moved the start time up to 5am, so if you're in your car at 4:30 you are screwed  Plus Dinsey does not give away tickets. In fact, you're lucky you don't have to buy separate tickets for each park you run through 

2020-01-10 2:05 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Thanks Chris!! hahahaha, i really enjoyed the sly negative things slid in there with positive phrasing. I am definitely watching and thinking that i am still at the point where the cost of the event would make it my main event of the year but then i would be dissatisfied because i feel like i still have athletic accomplishments to achieve ... for future years! 

Wait, what sly negatives?!?! 

I didn't mention the money and time issues because I understand that monetary extraction is a big part of the Mouse. And while the Mouse understands how to effectively move people, there are roughly 25,000 people at any one event, so be prepared to hurry up and wait.

Keep in mind I am cheap. I still want to do it again. I'm probably at that point in my life where my athletic achievements may be tailing off a bit.

2020-01-10 2:07 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by amd723

FYI, they moved the start time up to 5am, so if you're in your car at 4:30 you are screwed  Plus Dinsey does not give away tickets. In fact, you're lucky you don't have to buy separate tickets for each park you run through 

So my 3:00 am wake up call is a sure way to start the day off on the wrong foot????? We stayed offsite in a condo and the traffic was, shall we say, a bit much. And I used every back road and WDW traffic hack I know of.

2020-01-10 4:30 PM

User image

Laramie, Wyoming

I lived in Laramie for a few years as well. Long before I decided to go to law school, I actually went to WyoTech up there and then worked in auto body shops for a number of years. The GM dealership there in town used to be called Burman Motors way back and I worked there. My wife is from CO and is a UW grad. She and I met when I was up there. We drove the kids through there a couple of summers ago and showed them the town where we met, then we drove out to the area back in behind Vedauwoo and did some trout fishing in the beaver ponds. I also got really into fly fishing when I lived there - I grew up in Cali and never did it until I met my wife and her family. I ended up working part time at the West Laramie Fly Shop for about a year and a half. We stopped in there on our last trip and the guy that I worked for, his grandson now runs the place. Alaska is cold for sure. But honestly, it's nothing like that Laramie wind. We sometimes tell the kids about how we used to have go out in the mornings and cross the street to see where our car was parked because the sides of all the cars that faced our apartment would drift so bad that all the cars were buried, but the other side of the cars were completely clean. So if you forgot where you parked, you had to get to the clean side to figure out which one was yours. They can't even grasp the concept. Such great memories.

So we have three Manatees that are familiar with the Laramie winters!! At least you and Curtis will know what I am working with up here! And yes the winds are brutal and cut right through your clothing! Coldest I've been out in was -51F!! 

Where in California are you from?! Up until 2016, I live in the Inland Empire area, Fontana specifically. My wife got her job as a museum curator for the Wyoming Territorial Prison State Historic Site here in Laramie, and I followed suit about 9 months later with a far better job up here. As someone who was used to SoCal weather, this has been quite an adjustment. What I don't miss are the 110+F summer days!! 

2020-01-10 4:37 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Fitbit > Strava: https://strava.fitbit.com/

Wahoo > Strava: https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/220633087-Wahoo-Fitness-and-Strava

Zwift > Strava: https://zwift.com/news/4898-zwift-how-to-connect-to-strava

TR > Strava: https://support.trainerroad.com/hc/en-us/articles/204620814-Strava

The Sufferfest > Strava: https://thesufferfest.com/blogs/the-sufferfest-blog/introducing-stra... I've linked and unlinked strava and fitbit a few times now and can't seem to get the data to automatically carry over. I might have to start doing manual entry I guess if I can't get them to read each other.

I think I found the answer. Apparently Strava doesn't support indoor activities like treadmill because they don't have GPS data. It's wintertime in Alaska, so all of my running will have to be entered manually.

Are you using the Fitbit dashboard as your main training log?  If not, you could possibly record your treadmill workouts using another app such as the Wahoo Fitness App.  

Also, please remember that Strava usage is not a requirement at all.  We just have found it to be kind of fun.

ETA: Runkeeper may work as well.

Edited by jmkizer 2020-01-10 4:59 PM
2020-01-10 4:39 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Ann-Marie can probably add more info. I have done the half marathon there and found it to be really early and really dark. 

EDIT: I see that she already did!

Edited by jmkizer 2020-01-10 4:53 PM

2020-01-10 4:50 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Yes, I have the Fitbit Versa. So I hit the treadmill exercise function as soon as I start and it tracks my time, speed, distance, steps, and heart rate. In looking for answers this morning I came across this: https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Ionic/Unable-to-Sync-Treadmill-Exerc... Essentially, if there is not a GPS track on something, which Fitbit does not do with treadmill running since you don't actually go anywhere, then Fitbit doesn't export that to Strava. I found another thread elsewhere that says Garmin does export that type of data even if you are just running in place.

This is true, my Garmin 935 exports my (rare) treadmill runs to strava without issue.

Yes, my Garmin does as well.  FWIW, I do select "treadmill" as the activity type. I think that just turns off the GPS though.

2020-01-10 5:53 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

I lived in Laramie for a few years as well. Long before I decided to go to law school, I actually went to WyoTech up there and then worked in auto body shops for a number of years. The GM dealership there in town used to be called Burman Motors way back and I worked there. My wife is from CO and is a UW grad. She and I met when I was up there. We drove the kids through there a couple of summers ago and showed them the town where we met, then we drove out to the area back in behind Vedauwoo and did some trout fishing in the beaver ponds. I also got really into fly fishing when I lived there - I grew up in Cali and never did it until I met my wife and her family. I ended up working part time at the West Laramie Fly Shop for about a year and a half. We stopped in there on our last trip and the guy that I worked for, his grandson now runs the place. Alaska is cold for sure. But honestly, it's nothing like that Laramie wind. We sometimes tell the kids about how we used to have go out in the mornings and cross the street to see where our car was parked because the sides of all the cars that faced our apartment would drift so bad that all the cars were buried, but the other side of the cars were completely clean. So if you forgot where you parked, you had to get to the clean side to figure out which one was yours. They can't even grasp the concept. Such great memories.

So we have three Manatees that are familiar with the Laramie winters!! At least you and Curtis will know what I am working with up here! And yes the winds are brutal and cut right through your clothing! Coldest I've been out in was -51F!! 

Where in California are you from?! Up until 2016, I live in the Inland Empire area, Fontana specifically. My wife got her job as a museum curator for the Wyoming Territorial Prison State Historic Site here in Laramie, and I followed suit about 9 months later with a far better job up here. As someone who was used to SoCal weather, this has been quite an adjustment. What I don't miss are the 110+F summer days!! 

Very cool!

2020-01-10 7:38 PM

User image

Expert

Racing Manatees!!!

January 11-2
Chris - Hamster Wheel

Dooo Eeettt!!!

Is anyone else racing?

Good luck racer!
2020-01-10 9:28 PM

User image

Make that 4 Manatees that know Laramie. I'm a bit north of Denver and two hours south of Laramie on a good day. My great aunt and uncle owned a ranch on the Laramie River and I spent many summers there as a kid. They moved into town when they retired from ranching and we visited them often.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127