BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-07-29 8:51 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED
Would love to do more road biking but none of the local bike clubs seem to be meeting. Have not really even seen more than one or two people riding this summer, except at Row River (rural bike trail). Really not comfortable riding solo way out in the country, so I've been stuck with trainer and going out to Row River every couple weeks.

About to do another one of my pool slot booking calls. All depends on my call getting in with hundreds or thousands of others at exactly 7 AM. Wish me luck!

2020-07-29 9:21 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

It's hard to believe we are almost at the end of July! It's the fastest/slowest year ever! 

Not too much to report on my end. Running a small amount and doing strength training which i am enjoying. Doing daily exercise is helping me so much! At least to deal with some of the anxiety and uncertainty. It let's me zone out a bit. 

I have run a bit with a neighbhour who we've bubbled with it. So that's been nice. We are permitted of bubbles up to 10 but i know ours is a bit bigger than that with my parents. But other than my family it's the neighbours who have kids so they can play together which is super important for the kids. 

2020-07-29 10:49 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ceilidh Well, my last planned event canceled today. I knew it would and as I haven't been training AT ALL, it is a good thing. So much has changed in my health, our business, as well as the rest of 2020 shitstorm, I have to totally reassess what I want to be doing.

I'm sorry to hear that but I'm not surprised.

Endurance Nation generally has some "key" team events where they try to get a lot of people to participate. This year's biggie was IM St. George.  The running joke on the team was that the new key event would be IM Kazakhstan with all kinds of jokes about we still have Kazakhstan.  Well, guess what was cancelled yesterday.  Yup, "based on the directive by the Government of Kazakhstan in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic, we can confirm that the inaugural BI Group IRONMAN Kazakhstan triathlon originally scheduled for August 23 cannot take place in 2020."

I think that a lot of people will be re-evaluating after this year.  Take care!

2020-07-29 10:53 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ceilidh I would like to get over my fear of road biking. Around here it can be scary. But wow! Such beautiful rides!

I think that we can find some places to ride together (yet distant) next time that I am in the area.  I did part of the Tour d'Apple route last week and the Fruitland section was not crazy hilly and had very little traffic.  If you want some gravel riding, I think that we could do Yellow Gap Road from the 276 side.

2020-07-29 10:54 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Would love to do more road biking but none of the local bike clubs seem to be meeting. Have not really even seen more than one or two people riding this summer, except at Row River (rural bike trail). Really not comfortable riding solo way out in the country, so I've been stuck with trainer and going out to Row River every couple weeks. About to do another one of my pool slot booking calls. All depends on my call getting in with hundreds or thousands of others at exactly 7 AM. Wish me luck!

May the Force be with you!

2020-07-29 10:57 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by juniperjen

It's hard to believe we are almost at the end of July! It's the fastest/slowest year ever! 

Not too much to report on my end. Running a small amount and doing strength training which i am enjoying. Doing daily exercise is helping me so much! At least to deal with some of the anxiety and uncertainty. It let's me zone out a bit. 

I have run a bit with a neighbhour who we've bubbled with it. So that's been nice. We are permitted of bubbles up to 10 but i know ours is a bit bigger than that with my parents. But other than my family it's the neighbours who have kids so they can play together which is super important for the kids. 

It sounds like a lot of parents are doing small bubbles in my area. They are signing up for Virtual Academy (our school system has a choice, 1/3 in-person or 100% online for the first semester but you have to pick now) and partnering with one or two other families.

I'm really glad that I have running and biking and walking the dog. It gets me outside and helps with the whole sanity thing.

2020-07-29 5:58 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Today is my last day in the mountains of western North Carolina.  It has been nice to basically be in a bubble at the cabin with runs in the national park and bike rides in the National forest. We’ve ventured out for dinner at places where there was outside dining and strong rules on masks . I’m pleasantly surprised that the majority of people I’ve seen have been wearing masks. There are exceptions of course, but it seems very safe here.

On a different note, I’ve seen s9me people post that their Garmin app is working again. Mine is not. Anyone else still having issues?

And on another different note, it looks like I may be going home just in time for a tropical storm ( potential hurricane)

2020-07-30 8:33 AM
in reply to: #5271726

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Ann-Marie: Its good to hear mist people there are doing "good mask". It is SLOWLY getting better here, but as Janyne can attest, i am unwilling to go many, many places. Living with a 92 year old and a person with cancer, makes me really paranoid. And there are some aggressive, anti masters around. Be safe with that storm coming. Though it could go any which way at this point.

Janyne: i would love to go for a ride with you somewhere when you are here. I don't have a gravel bike, just a super heavy MTB. But it gets me places. You could talk me into a gravel bike on a ride!
2020-07-30 8:34 AM
in reply to: #5271746

User image

Champion
Bronze member
adding, i would love to (fearfully) road bike as well.
2020-07-30 9:22 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Today is my last day in the mountains of western North Carolina.  It has been nice to basically be in a bubble at the cabin with runs in the national park and bike rides in the National forest. We’ve ventured out for dinner at places where there was outside dining and strong rules on masks . I’m pleasantly surprised that the majority of people I’ve seen have been wearing masks. There are exceptions of course, but it seems very safe here.

On a different note, I’ve seen s9me people post that their Garmin app is working again. Mine is not. Anyone else still having issues?

And on another different note, it looks like I may be going home just in time for a tropical storm ( potential hurricane)

Re: Garmin.  Bluetooth connection is still flakey for me.  Wired connection is working 100% though so when you get home, give that a try.

2020-07-30 9:28 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ceilidh Ann-Marie: Its good to hear mist people there are doing "good mask". It is SLOWLY getting better here, but as Janyne can attest, i am unwilling to go many, many places. Living with a 92 year old and a person with cancer, makes me really paranoid. And there are some aggressive, anti masters around. Be safe with that storm coming. Though it could go any which way at this point. Janyne: i would love to go for a ride with you somewhere when you are here. I don't have a gravel bike, just a super heavy MTB. But it gets me places. You could talk me into a gravel bike on a ride!

Sounds like a plan!  We'll have to investigate the parking situation on 276.  I was thinking Yellow Gap Road (kinda near Pink Beds) to Wolf Ford Road Camping. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/33579880?privacy_code=yQsCrne2CGPvnI6...

2020-07-30 1:28 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by ceilidh Ann-Marie: Its good to hear mist people there are doing "good mask". It is SLOWLY getting better here, but as Janyne can attest, i am unwilling to go many, many places. Living with a 92 year old and a person with cancer, makes me really paranoid. And there are some aggressive, anti masters around. Be safe with that storm coming. Though it could go any which way at this point. Janyne: i would love to go for a ride with you somewhere when you are here. I don't have a gravel bike, just a super heavy MTB. But it gets me places. You could talk me into a gravel bike on a ride!

If my mother stilled lived with me I would be ( even more) paranoid about bringing COVID home too!
Now, what’s the deal with the road work through Asheville on 26? It doesn’t matter what time I drive through the traffic is at a standstill !  It seems it’s been years since construction started .  I thought Florida was the worse for never ending road work, but Asheville is a real contender .

2020-07-30 1:29 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

Re: Garmin.  Bluetooth connection is still flakey for me.  Wired connection is working 100% though so when you get home, give that a try.

Thanks, I’ll give it a try.

2020-07-30 1:43 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

If my mother stilled lived with me I would be ( even more) paranoid about bringing COVID home too!
Now, what’s the deal with the road work through Asheville on 26? It doesn’t matter what time I drive through the traffic is at a standstill !  It seems it’s been years since construction started .  I thought Florida was the worse for never ending road work, but Asheville is a real contender .

The I-26 current project is widening the 17 miles between Hendersonville and Asheville, including the BRP bridge (the one that is WAYYYY up there) It should be done in 2024. 

2020-07-30 8:24 PM

User image

Expert

Garmin issues bad.
Social distancing vacations good. It is amazing how much more relaxing vacations are when a major point of the vacation is to avoid everyone except the people you wanted to go on vacation with. I am advocating a social distancing vacation every year.
2020-07-31 8:46 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella

Garmin issues bad. Social distancing vacations good. It is amazing how much more relaxing vacations are when a major point of the vacation is to avoid everyone except the people you wanted to go on vacation with. I am advocating a social distancing vacation every year.

Yes! I love social distancing vacations regardless of COVID! 

2020-07-31 8:57 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Garmin issues bad. Social distancing vacations good. It is amazing how much more relaxing vacations are when a major point of the vacation is to avoid everyone except the people you wanted to go on vacation with. I am advocating a social distancing vacation every year.

+2

BTW, our place is sort of near the airport so if you get sick of I-26, you can get off there and visit us next time -- you know, assuming the timing works out.  And yes, I realize that at that point in your drive, you just want to get to Bryson City...

2020-07-31 9:36 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

+2

BTW, our place is sort of near the airport so if you get sick of I-26, you can get off there and visit us next time -- you know, assuming the timing works out.  And yes, I realize that at that point in your drive, you just want to get to Bryson City...

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind! I may change the route and go up through the Atlanta (ish) to Franklin areas. I have 6 weeks til the next trip up, so we shall see!

2020-07-31 11:52 AM

Can someone fill me in on what's going on with the Garmin issues? I have been looking at possibly upgrading from the Fitbit Versa to something in the Garmin line. What's going on with them?
2020-07-31 12:07 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by alaskatri Can someone fill me in on what's going on with the Garmin issues? I have been looking at possibly upgrading from the Fitbit Versa to something in the Garmin line. What's going on with them?

earlier this week that had a ransomware attack that pretty well shut them down.  The main issue Garmin wearers had was the inability to upload their workouts ( there was a work around for Strava). The devices still recorded. I’m  not sure if they’ve completely recovered, but I can upload workouts now. 

2020-07-31 12:21 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by alaskatri Can someone fill me in on what's going on with the Garmin issues? I have been looking at possibly upgrading from the Fitbit Versa to something in the Garmin line. What's going on with them?

earlier this week that had a ransomware attack that pretty well shut them down.  The main issue Garmin wearers had was the inability to upload their workouts ( there was a work around for Strava). The devices still recorded. I’m  not sure if they’ve completely recovered, but I can upload workouts now. 

Same. No workout data was lost. I did lose some steps/sleep data but I can live with that. If my step streak was broken by the outage, I would be very annoyed, though!  I'm currently on day 52.  First world problems, right?  Anyway, I did several bike rides and runs during the outage and all of it uploaded just fine when we they came back online.

https://connect.garmin.com/status/

2020-07-31 1:11 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Same. No workout data was lost. I did lose some steps/sleep data but I can live with that. If my step streak was broken by the outage, I would be very annoyed, though!  I'm currently on day 52.  First world problems, right?  Anyway, I did several bike rides and runs during the outage and all of it uploaded just fine when we they came back online.

Same for me. Missing two days worth of step data and that seems to about it. 

2020-07-31 1:25 PM

Got it, thanks. So many options from Garmin to choose from. I'm thinking along the lines of a Vivoactive 4, or a 645. Not sure I need all the features of a 935 or 945. The 945 looks pretty fantastic, but that's a hefty price for a first time tri watch.
2020-07-31 2:51 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Thankfully, I did not weigh myself that morning, or I would have lost that too. The HORROR!

2020-07-31 9:29 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Haha. I usually only weigh myself for FTP tests (to get watts per kilo, which is the ONLY way my biking ever looks semi-impressive) or when I think I might be dehydrated, or if my clothes stop fitting properly. I don't think I've done so for several months. Mom happened to leave the scale out this morning and after reading that, I wondered, what do I weigh now anyway? The answer is about 5 pounds more than when IM training. So I guess if I do go after my 20-minute power record, shouldn't mention watts per kilo if I break it....
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127