BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 298

2011-06-06 6:59 AM
in reply to: #3534200

User image

Champion
marietta
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed

SSMinnow - 2011-06-06 7:14 AM

I am the queen

2011-06-06 7:07 AM
in reply to: #3534240

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
jfought - 2011-06-06 6:53 AM
dcon - 2011-06-05 6:05 PM

SSMinnow - 2011-06-05 8:48 PM RR short and sweet, just like me, right John?

Very nice!!  Your short and sweet RR doesn't say anything about the podium though....

Ha! Fixed that!!

Jayne--I am the queen of freaking out in OW, especially in my early years.  I agree with Kim, break those 500y down into pieces.  I count the buoys ahead of time and then tick them off as I swim by them.  I also encourage you to get in the OW as much as possible especially with a pack--having many people around you is a different beast, especially because many of them are also scared. I think sprints tend to bring out newbies--I realized that yesterday so there will be a lot of alternate strokes in use.  Rely on them if you need them.  There is NO shame in it!!!  I had people breast and back stroking around me in IM!!!  If you do need a time out, take it....tread it a little to get your bearings.

If you have a shallow lake you can go by yourself and practice, practice, practice.  Run in, start too fast, get breathless, freak out....rinse and repeat.   

Thanks Kim and Suzy,  It's good to know that other people have overcome this swimming "hurdle".  I like the idea of counting the buoys!  I'm going to be doing some ows with my local tri club twice a week.  I should be able to get in the water with them 5 times before my race.  I can't even imagine showing up at a race having never been in the open water!!!!  My race is close enough to home that I will be able to go and check out the race course the week before. 

Oh, I almost forgot to mention that my lbs/tri club is putting on a transition clinic next weekend.  That will be helpful too!  Now, if I can get Kyla to email me her checklists, I should be ready to go!  Laughing

P.S. Is doggie paddling considered a "stroke?"

Yep, but it takes a lot out of you....I was always a back floater

PS. I'll send you my list if you PM me your email.  It may be too detailed since I used it for IM, but you can easily scale it down.

2011-06-06 7:08 AM
in reply to: #3534248

User image

Champion
fattyfatfat - 2011-06-06 6:59 AM

I am the queen

HA!  That's me....

2011-06-06 12:26 PM
in reply to: #3434069

User image

Champion
WOW, I killed the MG! Impressive.
2011-06-06 12:36 PM
in reply to: #3534989

User image

Elite
Raleigh

SSMinnow - 2011-06-06 1:26 PM WOW, I killed the MG! Impressive.

That is exactly what I was thinking! I am thinking about entering another sprint the weekend of June 18th, the 3 Little Pigs Triathlon. I know Tracy did this race last year and Linda (Havin' Fun) is doing it this year. Hmm.....

Edited by DougRob 2011-06-06 12:39 PM
2011-06-06 12:48 PM
in reply to: #3534259

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
SSMinnow - 2011-06-06 8:07 AM

Very nice!!  Your short and sweet RR doesn't say anything about the podium though....

Ha! Fixed that!!

Jayne--I am the queen of freaking out in OW, especially in my early years.  I agree with Kim, break those 500y down into pieces.  I count the buoys ahead of time and then tick them off as I swim by them.  I also encourage you to get in the OW as much as possible especially with a pack--having many people around you is a different beast, especially because many of them are also scared. I think sprints tend to bring out newbies--I realized that yesterday so there will be a lot of alternate strokes in use.  Rely on them if you need them.  There is NO shame in it!!!  I had people breast and back stroking around me in IM!!!  If you do need a time out, take it....tread it a little to get your bearings.

If you have a shallow lake you can go by yourself and practice, practice, practice.  Run in, start too fast, get breathless, freak out....rinse and repeat.   

Thanks Kim and Suzy,  It's good to know that other people have overcome this swimming "hurdle".  I like the idea of counting the buoys!  I'm going to be doing some ows with my local tri club twice a week.  I should be able to get in the water with them 5 times before my race.  I can't even imagine showing up at a race having never been in the open water!!!!  My race is close enough to home that I will be able to go and check out the race course the week before. 

Oh, I almost forgot to mention that my lbs/tri club is putting on a transition clinic next weekend.  That will be helpful too!  Now, if I can get Kyla to email me her checklists, I should be ready to go!  Laughing

PS. I'll send you my list if you PM me your email.  It may be too detailed since I used it for IM, but you can easily scale it down.

HA, most have heard it, I tell it every time someone brings up first OWS.

My first OWS was 750M, it looked like 5 miles when standing on the shore.  I was hanging on to a kyak before the first buoy, and proceded to hang on every kyak on the course.  I tried to quit once by raising my hand but no one saw me so I had to finish.

I back-floated (not back-stroke), doggy paddled, did everything I could think of to get through, I think it took me 35 minutes to finish, but I actually wasn't even the slowest swimmer which was amazing.

But I got through it, everyone does, and now I prefer OWS to pool swimmign any day.

2011-06-06 1:54 PM
in reply to: #3535018

User image

Champion
DougRob - 2011-06-06 12:36 PM

SSMinnow - 2011-06-06 1:26 PM WOW, I killed the MG! Impressive.

That is exactly what I was thinking! I am thinking about entering another sprint the weekend of June 18th, the 3 Little Pigs Triathlon. I know Tracy did this race last year and Linda (Havin' Fun) is doing it this year. Hmm.....

Now, that's funny!  Speaking of the piggies, where are Linda and Tracy these days?

2011-06-06 4:29 PM
in reply to: #3535046

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
dalessit - 2011-06-06 1:48 PM
SSMinnow - 2011-06-06 8:07 AM

Ha! Fixed that!!

HA, most have heard it, I tell it every time someone brings up first OWS.

My first OWS was 750M, it looked like 5 miles when standing on the shore.  I was hanging on to a kyak before the first buoy, and proceded to hang on every kyak on the course.  I tried to quit once by raising my hand but no one saw me so I had to finish.

I back-floated (not back-stroke), doggy paddled, did everything I could think of to get through, I think it took me 35 minutes to finish, but I actually wasn't even the slowest swimmer which was amazing.

But I got through it, everyone does, and now I prefer OWS to pool swimmign any day.

Tony,

I LOVE this story and every other one like it!!! You have no idea how much it reassures me.  I'm doing an ows tomorrow morning with some people from the tri club.  It will be fun to have some others out there with me.  And, there will be at least one other newbie :-)  Hope you're all having a great day! 

Suzy and Kyla,  thanks for sending me your "packing" lists.  I will let you know if I have any other questions. 

2011-06-06 4:54 PM

User image

Champion
marietta

we closed!

what a relief!!!

14 months later we got our a$$es handed to us.  but in the end the money is just a part of the big picture.  we brought the 2 girls home to that house.  made some great lifelong friends in teh old neighborhood.  had some awesome parties.  threw back a few beers.  etc... so its all good. and we did pretty good on our house after katrina so in a way its kind of a wash  (no pun intended... ha!) financially.  and maybe we'll get a good deal once we figure out where we want to be here in town. 

2011-06-06 8:36 PM

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY

Way to go weekend racers!  Great showing this weekend.  Makes me want to get out and do it!! My wife did a sprint on Sunday and had a PB for that race by 5 minutes - she was stoked!!

Glad you got rid of your house Fatty.  Even though it sounds you didn't get the price you hoped for, I am sure it is a big relief to have it gone. 

Catching up on a few older posts...

I typically go no socks on the bike and socks on the run except for sprints.  Haven't tried sockless at longer distances yet.

My tri shoes are much easier to get in and out of then my road shoes, so they "make" me faster in and out of transition.  I think it is totally equipment specific, and the practice you put into using the equipment.

On a new note...has anyone used ridewithgps.com??  It is a great program for mapping out bike routes...gives elevations, builds cue sheets, follows the road (vs. you having to make sure you click in the right spot.  Very cool.  I guess you can upload the route to your gps bike computer but I don't have the gear for that.  If you use map my ride or bike route toaster, check this out - very cool.

That's all I got for now.

2011-06-06 9:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Yorktown, VA & Langley AFB

Attention: Serious training question ahead... been lurking around here long enough :-)

Extremely hard training sessions (i.e. fast paced tempo runs, pushing the speed envelope averages on rides, bricks, etc...) leads to feeling very poor, nauseuos, actually not hungry, and head aches for the remainder of the day.  Been having this problem periodically for a few months, and it seems to be getting worse and more frequent with summer in full swing (temps are forecasted triple digits all this week, ugh!)

I know it is not dehydration, I still gotta go to the bathroom as normal with a normal (ahem) "outcome".  Fluid intake is normal as well; liquids I can intake, solids not so much (this is all after training). 

** So I'm leaning towards a nutrition during training problem... right?  I do sporadically use Clif Gel Shots during runs exceeding 45min with some success; though, often forgetting about them during rides.

Thoughts?... Recommendations before I go experimenting with brands?  I'm quite certain I will want a thin drink mix but nothing "thick" like a shake.

Thanks!

Edited by Scalded_Dawg 2011-06-06 9:57 PM

2011-06-06 11:40 PM
in reply to: #3536130

User image

Expert
Noosa
Scalded_Dawg - 2011-06-07 12:39 PM

Attention: Serious training question ahead... been lurking around here long enough :-)

Extremely hard training sessions (i.e. fast paced tempo runs, pushing the speed envelope averages on rides, bricks, etc...) leads to feeling very poor, nauseuos, actually not hungry, and head aches for the remainder of the day.  Been having this problem periodically for a few months, and it seems to be getting worse and more frequent with summer in full swing (temps are forecasted triple digits all this week, ugh!)

I know it is not dehydration, I still gotta go to the bathroom as normal with a normal (ahem) "outcome".  Fluid intake is normal as well; liquids I can intake, solids not so much (this is all after training). 

** So I'm leaning towards a nutrition during training problem... right?  I do sporadically use Clif Gel Shots during runs exceeding 45min with some success; though, often forgetting about them during rides.

Thoughts?... Recommendations before I go experimenting with brands?  I'm quite certain I will want a thin drink mix but nothing "thick" like a shake.

Thanks!

Probably not the answer you're looking for but maybe you're pushing these sessions TOO hard?? I'm always amazed when I see my recommended tempo pace, it's much slower than I used to do, a bit more like race pace, not puking pace.

Short hard intervals with full recovery are great and leave me feeling pleasantly fatigued, if I feel nauseated and have a headache then I've pushed the hard stuff too far.

I read an article by Mark Allen yesterday where he says a lot of triathletes don't like to be told that the biggest gains in endurance sport come from the long, zone 1 sessions. He reckons our Type A personalities want to push each session to the limit but the results are worse if we do so.

2011-06-07 6:07 AM

User image

Champion
Scalded_Dawg - 2011-06-06 9:39 PM

Thanks!

I occasionally have this problem.  When you are pushing very hard, blood is taken from the digestive process to the muscles which are working like crazy.  If you eat before things have reached some level of normalcy you can have GI issues.  I've never had headaches although I know you can get them if your electrolytes are out of whack.  After hard sessions, I do not eat, I drink.  In fact, I won't have anything solid for nearly an hour (with races, it's always longer than that).  I can do smoothies (frozen berries, juice, yogurt, spinach, whey protein) and sometimes chocolate milk without issue.   I'm not a fan of a purchased product for recovery, but that's just me.

You say you go to the bathroom normally.  What is the color of the pee? pale? if so, great.  if not, you can still be dehyrated and go whiz.  I suggest you consider an hour long sweat test in the conditions you will race in.  Super easy: weigh in naked, go run or bike an hour, weigh in naked.  If you've taken in any fluid at that to the original number.  That will tell you how many lbs you lost.  You may not be able to drink enough during an effort to make those two numbers equally, but you better be drinking about 32-48oz of fluid for every lb lost throughout the day.....

My two cents!

2011-06-07 6:43 AM
in reply to: #3536266

User image

Veteran
copa2251 - 2011-06-06 11:40 PM

Thanks!

Probably not the answer you're looking for but maybe you're pushing these sessions TOO hard?? I'm always amazed when I see my recommended tempo pace, it's much slower than I used to do, a bit more like race pace, not puking pace.

Short hard intervals with full recovery are great and leave me feeling pleasantly fatigued, if I feel nauseated and have a headache then I've pushed the hard stuff too far.

I read an article by Mark Allen yesterday where he says a lot of triathletes don't like to be told that the biggest gains in endurance sport come from the long, zone 1 sessions. He reckons our Type A personalities want to push each session to the limit but the results are worse if we do so.

I was going to say the same thing, being new to the sport when I 1st started training it was EXTREMELY hard for me to do zone 1, 2, 3 sessions because the recommended paces sucked! but after forcing my self with much recommendation from this MG and doing speed work once  a week to fulfill my speed craving I feel its the best way to go

2011-06-07 6:48 AM

User image

Veteran

Ummmm... So what is everyone's thoughts on Ironman NYC?

WTC Ironman US Championships NYC 2012

It really mostly in northern new jersey and NY as only the swim is totally in the city, blocking off a bike and run route through major portion of the city for 17 hours would have been impossible as new yorkers complain and petition about everything so someones city council rep would have had a field day if they tried it.

2011-06-07 6:52 AM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR

Late to the party, as usual!

I always wear socks.  The idea of being without them while working out makes me cringe!

I have tri shoes, but for no particular reason.  I tried on every pair of shoes in the place, and mine were the most comfortable!  I didn't care whether they were road or tri! 

Tony - I love that story!  My first OWS was mostly backstroke because I was panicking and couldn't breathe.

So, Ryan is on his recovery week this week (he's still doing the HIM that I sold my bib for), and so he convinced me to go on a bike ride with him yesterday.  We were turning back into our apartment complex, and I signaled for my left turn, and the car that was driving behind us tried to pass while I was turning, then slammed on her brakes when I was turning so she wouldn't hit me, and started cursing at us.  When Ryan told her we had the right of way, she just said "F*** you, no you don't!"  It's scary and discouraging when that happens!  I'm already paranoid enough on the roads!

2011-06-07 7:24 AM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Scalded_Dawg - 2011-06-07 12:39 AM

Thanks!

Hey Dawg (in my best Randy Jackson voice),

Given that you live in Abilene (I'm assuming Texas), I will guess you are pushing too hard too soon and overheating.   The symptoms you described match up with my overheating experiences (more than a few unfortunately) - it really can make you feel like crap for the rest of the day.   Given your run and bike volumes, you probably don't have the foundation to be "pushing the envelope".   Slow down and try to get your workouts done in the cooler hours (if there are any in Abilene).    

2011-06-07 8:04 AM
in reply to: #3536266

User image

Champion
copa2251 - 2011-06-07 12:40 AM

Thanks!

I believe you read it but I don't belive that Mark Allen is true.

Maybe it's true when you are first starting out and need to build a base, but not sure then if Z1 workouts are worthwhile for anything other than recovery.

In both biking and running, I noticed better fittness when I started doing longer & harder runs/rides.

As for your problem I think it might be nutrition leading up to your workouts or just pure heat issues.  Seems silly but I had to have a coach tell me once duh, stupid when it's very hot, you can't run the same pace you run when it's cool.

Edited by dalessit 2011-06-07 8:07 AM
2011-06-07 8:23 AM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia

Hi gang - finishing up the race report.  Race site was down yesterday so I wasn't able to get my final placings.  And I've been tired the past 2 days.  Go figure!

Congrats on everyone's super training weekend.  Sounds like some real break throughs.

Jayne - don't worry about being nervous in the water.  Unless you LOVE being in big, wide open body of water most people get a little nervous.  I still am not happy getting in the water.  I do much better race morning w/ the adrenaline pumping.

Brent - I think you might be pushing too hard during your workouts or too many hard workouts especially in the heat.  Not sure if you have been having this problem w/ workouts over an hour or under.  Under an hour you shouldn't need much more than 1 gel and water.  Over an hour and things change and you need some form of nutrition but if it is wiping you out for the rest of the day then I think it's overexhertion.  Tired is one thing - feeling crappy a few hours later is another.  See if there is a pattern to the type of workout, length/time and the weather.  Maybe your body needs some slower paced stuff to adjust to the heat then start to pick things up.  And at the very least find something you can stomach at the end of a workout.  Protein shake, smoothie, bard boiled egg, etc..

2011-06-07 8:51 AM

User image

Champion

I guess I should clarify since I re-read my post and it contradicts itself.

Not saying every workout must be a Z4-5a type workout where you go all out with everything you have.  You need some mix of Z1-Z3 workouts and maybe when the heat is up you need to stick more in the lower end of the zones, but I just don't see how workouts where your HR never gets out of Z1 are good for more than recovery.

2011-06-07 9:09 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh

I was looking at my race schedule and there is a big gap between an olympic on 9/10 and my A race on 10/29. I was looking for a race in this time frame and for the heck of it decided to look in NY. I grew up on Long Island, and my best friend still lives there. We have been friends for 41 years now.

Anyway there is a sprint in Huntington, NY (Northport) on 9/25. It is the inauguarl Madetotri sprint triathlon. Funny thing is my friend Tom live 0.3 miles from the transition area! I called him on the way into work this AM. I have to do this race now! It will take some logisitics.

Any NY MG'ers want to race this one too?

2011-06-07 9:26 AM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
Here's my RR finally!!!!  it's long (winded) ha ha so I've warned you.  :-)
2011-06-07 9:50 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
Scalded_Dawg - 2011-06-06 10:39 PM

Thanks!

just gonna shoot straight here... sorry if it offends. 

first of all, did you have a doc look over you before you started all this?  if so i'd probably go back to him/her and make sure its nothing more serious.  if you didn't, then you need to! nausea, feeling like crap for a little while after a workout... ok.  headaches lasting the rest of the day and they are getting worse... heck no

below are a few things i see after briefly reviewing your logs that might be playing a role, but again i'd go talk to a doc, that's what they are there for. and  keep in mind, i think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone around here that didn't have the same or similar issues below early on.

-perusing back a few months in your logs,  i don't see any workouts that would require any nutrition during training.  i'd have water handy on some of them but that's about it.  of course we're all different so maybe you do need something. 

-assuming your logs are accurate, you have huge holes in your training.  we're talking weeks at a time of no activity.  i totally get life and other things get in the way/ take but i gotta think lack of consistency is somehow playing a role in what you're feeling.

-i see you've already had indications from medical folks that pf maybe setting in.  hard training sessions, especially on the run are something you should not be doing now.  build slow.  get a good case of pf and you'll be on the sidelines for a long time to come.  that would suck.  

essentially, it seems you're trying to do to much without any rhyme or reason.  perhaps this is playing a role in what's going on.  but talk to your doc.

and i couldn't agree more with everyone else.... slow it down.  i know that can be hard to do and frustrating at times... but just do it for now.

edit removed repeated word....

Edited by fattyfatfat 2011-06-07 10:47 AM
2011-06-07 10:29 AM
in reply to: #3536382

User image

Champion
marietta
GrapeJuice - 2011-06-07 7:48 AM

Ummmm... So what is everyone's thoughts on Ironman NYC?

WTC Ironman US Championships NYC 2012

It really mostly in northern new jersey and NY as only the swim is totally in the city, blocking off a bike and run route through major portion of the city for 17 hours would have been impossible as new yorkers complain and petition about everything so someones city council rep would have had a field day if they tried it.

i can't wait to see the price. 

2011-06-07 11:03 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  

of 298