North Face
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 52m 40s
Overall Rank = 88/332
Age Group = F30-39
Age Group Rank = 11/39
Pre-race routine:

Jogged over and back to Georgetown from work during lunch to pick up my packet. Very happy that the weather broke and looking forward to perfect racing conditions on Sat.

Friday was supposed to be a short little run w/ a few bursts but I ran out of time taking care of various chores, kid stuff and some light gardening. All in all I moved around plenty and ate well. Even tried to drink an extra glass of water throughout the day.

Race morning - up early, ate some oatmeal, drank a cup of coffee and a swig of water. Took a baguette w/ some peanut butter for closer to the race start. I drove down to the shuttle parking and hopped on a bus right away. It was a short drive over to the race start.

Got there with enough time to walk around, check out the food tent (didn't eat anything, hit the porta-a-potty, and apply sunscreen & bug spray. Then sit and wait. Chatted w/ a few people and tried to think about my plan.
Event warmup:

Do you really need to warm up for a 50k run? HA
Run
  • 5h 52m 40s
  • 31.68 miles
  • 11m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

So the race started and we were off. Not quite the crazy pace/start of a road race. I think everyone knew this was going to be a long day. The course started off around a soccer field then turned onto a gravel road for about 2.5 miles. Then the fun began. The course turned left onto the Potomac Heritage trail, a dirt single track. For the next 4-5 miles, everyone formed a pretty tight line. Passing was tricky b/c you never know what might be off the path - poison ivy, stinging nettles (yes they do sting), hidden roots. rocks or even snakes. For the most part this section was easy enough w/ one steep climb that brough everyone to a grinding walk. I did pass people on the downhill sections.

Next part of the race opened up a bit w/ a mix of fire/gravel roads, dirt trails and mowed field paths. Twice I saw runners going way off course. Sometimes they heard us yelling and sometimes they didn't. The course was very well marked but you did have to pay attention and the runners had thinned out by now. Before heading into Great Falls Park, there was this super long downhill right around mile 10. I commented to another runner that this hill was going to suck coming home.

The next few miles were flat and fast and aid station #2. I had finished up my double strength bottle of infinit and a bag of chomps. I didn't stop for food but grabbed a few cups of water and got a partial refill on my bottle. The next aid station was only 3 hilly miles away. This was a cool part of the course that I had run 3-4 times during my training. It was in Great Falls park so lots of unknowing spectators out for a family stroll. But the trails/roads were plenty wide so no problem running at my pace. At this point I was about 10min behind my best projected pace but I felt good so I wasn't too worried. Still keeping a steady 10:20ish pace.

The hilly section called the Ridge Trail went up from the river and followed it along the ridge. There were a few spots that required walking but mostly rolling hills that were manageable. Since I was heading towards the turn around I got to see where I was in the field. I guessed around top 20 for the women so I was pleased. I hit the next aid station which was halfway, got more water and grabbed a bag of pretzels to nibble on during my walk breaks.

Headed back towards aid station #4 with a detour to the River Trail. This was the most technical section. Very little trail, mostly rocks/boulders to climb over. And as luck would have it, just as I made the turn to head to the river trail, a gnat flew into my eye. I could not get it out and it messed up my contact. Normally not to be a deal but it provided to be a big deal. It left my right eye blurry and made it hard to judge depth. Not a problem on a flat, road surface but a huge problem on a trail where things are constantly changing. Even so, I flew through this section and came out on the other side at mile 20 feeling like roses and eager to see the family.

I got to aid station #4 at 3:28 still only 10min behind schedule but on the earlier side of the window I gave Tony. I stopped and got lots of water and looked around for the family. Didn't see them so I refilled my bottle w/ water and started walking on the course hoping to see them. After a minute or two, I heard them come running my way. So happy to see them. Tony had my bag but I really only needed my new bottle of infinit. He ran back to the aid station to get it filled while I kept moving w/ the kids. He caught up a few min. later then w/ kisses from everyone I was off. Next few miles were good. I even looked down at one point and realized I had been running for 4 hrs. It didn't seem that way at all.

The last 8 miles were tough. The hills really started to take their toll on me and w/ tired legs and my eye messed up I had to go slow on the downhills so I didn't fall. Slower walking up the hills. The one really big downhill earlier on course really did suck going back up it. The logs that I hopped, jumped, sprung over on the way out brought me to a stop and swing my legs over on the way back. A few cramps in my thighs along the way but nothing too bad. My only worry spot on course was heading to the next aid station. It was 6.7m from Great Falls and I had finished my infinit bottle. I was getting hungry and thirsty. I was trying to calculate in my head how much further I had to go before I got there. Finally I saw it appear out of the trees on the trail like a mirage. I felt instant relief. Lots of water and few nibbles on oranges and bananas.

Back on track, I had one stream crossing that was easy to jump over going out but had to waded through on the way in. The bank was too steep and slippery for jumping. The water did feel nice on my legs. 2 guys that I was running near stopped and stood in the water for a few minutes. So wet feet for the last 5 miles. The only sad part about my run was slowly seeing my pace tick upwards. I just couldn't keep it down on the hills. I think on the way out I made up the slow uphills w/ fast downhills. I just couldn't risk falling on the way back so some of my downhills were as slow as my uphills.

All in all, I felt better and stronger longer into the race than I had for anything previously. I was in serious pain the last 2 miles at Shamrock as the wheels starting coming off around mile 16. Today I wish I was running a marathon I felt good through mile 24 and could have easily pushed hard to the finish. So I was proud of myself at that moment. The last 3 miles are flat and fast and I did ok holding a decent pace but I was tripping a lot on roots and rocks.

I was so happy to see the finish. I stopped briefly for a hug and kiss from Tony and the kids then jogged under the arch. Whew I made it.

Medical staff gaev everyone the thrid degree at the finish to make sure you were ok. After three yes I'm ok's, they let me pass.

I had a great time. The miles and time flew by and the course was beautiful. So peaceful to hear the water running, birds chirping and the occasional scamper of a squirrel up a tree. Maybe I've found my calling.
What would you do differently?:

I've had 3 big races so far this year and each time one thing or another has prevented me from preparing as thoroughly as I've wanted. So next race execute the plan before I get to the start line.
Post race
Warm down:

This was the biggest lesson learned from the day. Listen to that little voice in your head that says don't eat now, you'll regret it. I know that after a hard effort my body has no interest in processing food. But I was mentally hungry and had passed up all the goodies I'd seen all day so I thought I could get away with it. Alas ...

Volunteers were handing out chocolate milk at the finish. I drank it wondering if it would come back to haunt me. I saw the kids and Tony right away. They wanted to take me to the milk tent to get a smoothie. They were whipping up sample milkshakes. Of course, it sounded good and I drank only to realize after bottoms up that I had crossed the line. So porta-a-potty trip #1.

Walked back over to t he finish line area and tried to get into an ice bath but it was toooooo cold. So I sponged cold water over my legs until I couldn't feel my hands. Decided that I wanted my finish line meal, so I picked up a hot ham/cheese panini, pasta salad and brownie. Ate half the sandwich then porta-a-potty trip number #2 followed by lay down in the grass and try to be as still as possible.

Finally up and off to the shuttle. We stopped at a restaurant on the way home where I tried a third time to eat. I got through about 1/3 of a chicken pasta dish and let's just say I had the same result.

8 hrs. later I happily ate a delicious salad loaded with all sorts of yummies. And my body didn't punish me.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I did my best today. Only more base miles and experience will allow me to go faster. But I was very happy with my first Ultra.

Event comments:

Great race! Really well organized, super volunteers and a beautiful course. Lots of help at the aid stations. I hope to do this race again next year. Great finish line area with lots for the family. It was also nice that the runners were very well taken care of. I loved the ice bath tent.

Last updated: 2011-04-25 12:00 AM
Running
05:52:40 | 31.68 miles | 11m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/39
Overall: 88/332
Performance: Good
10:30, 9:35, 9:54, 10:27, 12:20, 9:55, 9:59, 10:01, 12:09, 9:49, 10:30, 10:06, 9:11, 10:20, 10:15, 11:45, 10:26, 10:27, 11:10, 12:28, 12:58, 10:23, 9:30, 15:00, 11:20, 11:42, 12:03, 18:02, 11:27, 10:29, 11:14, 10:37
Course: Variety of single track, fire roads and gravel paths. Some very steep climbs and rocky sections. But plenty of flat, fast sections. Out and back so you get to do all of the hills twice.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-06-07 9:23 AM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
Subject: North Face Endurance Challenge

2011-06-07 9:41 AM
in reply to: #3536688

User image

Master
Subject: RE: North Face Endurance Challenge
Congratulations, Sam!! Awesome race out there. That is a LONG way!! (And yes, we have lots of nettles on our trails -- you do not want to brush up against those!) You are amazing!!! Good job, UltraMom!!
2011-06-07 9:49 AM

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Great job Sam, I was very proud of you out there, I know you didn't get in all the workouts you wanted to beforehand but you were still able to finish strong!
2011-06-07 9:58 AM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon

Awesome job, Sam! Loved reading the race report! Sounds like a fantastic ultra... so cool that they had ice baths for afterward. Congratulations, Ultrarunner!

2011-06-07 10:25 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
VERY VERY COOL!!!!!  Congrats!  North Face does put on a GREAT EVENT!
2011-06-07 11:32 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
AWESOME!!  Very proud of you!!!!

2011-06-07 11:40 AM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Sam, that was an amazing accomplishment. You have every right to be proud of yourself, not just at that moment, but truly, for all of the sacrifices and hard work you put in! I'm so happy for you, Ultra-woman!
2011-06-07 1:29 PM

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
Nice work ... Ultra woman!  (still sounds like a superhero of some kind,  oh wait, it is!   
2011-06-07 11:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
Awesome race, Sam!  I don't listen to any of the voices in my head.
2011-06-08 2:03 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX
Great Job Sam!  Look at you now - an official ultra-marathoner... 
2011-06-09 5:59 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Great job Sam!!!!  You set a goal to finish this race and you did it.  Always nice to have our first Ultra Junkie in the MG.

Rest up, Mad City 100K is in October!

2011-06-09 12:35 PM

User image

Master
Maryland

Way to go Sam, loved reading your race report. I think after moving the legs so long, it is hard for the stomach to go back to doing its job. JFK is the oldest and awesome ultra, what do you think? It is in Novemeber. Congrats, so proud of you!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » North Face Endurance Challenge Rss Feed