BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D's triathlon training group CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 108

2012-07-23 2:59 PM
in reply to: #4124687

Master
, California
Subject: RE: Fred D's triathlon training group CLOSED

what have you learned lately that you probably should have known a long time ago?

My recurring lesson: it's more important to have a steady build and avoid injury.  Maybe after all my mishaps and close call this year it'll finally sink in on me.

2012-07-23 3:27 PM
in reply to: #4326247

User image

spudone - 2012-07-23 9:59 AM

what have you learned lately that you probably should have known a long time ago?

My recurring lesson: it's more important to have a steady build and avoid injury.  Maybe after all my mishaps and close call this year it'll finally sink in on me.

I actually can't think of too many things that I wish I had known a long time ago.  I think that BT and other resources have helped me grow and learn much faster than if I had tried to do this on my own.

One thing I do wish I had done from the beginning was get a quality bike workstand.  Makes doing simple tune ups, cleaning my bike, and general maintenance SO MUCH EASIER!!!

2012-07-23 3:45 PM
in reply to: #4326185

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-07-23 7:37 PM

2012-07-23 7:38 PM
in reply to: #4325793

2012-07-23 8:05 PM
in reply to: #4326847

Champion

Fred D - 2012-07-23 6:38 PM
Catwoman - 2012-07-23 1:37 PMChrisM, having a good time over on slowtwitch today? What a bunch of jerks!
agree, recordcarbon10 is the epitomy of Internet jerkiness IMO. I'm quite sure he has some sig. Mental issues, I don't even read his posts in general. Too useless.

My fav part of today was admitting he has a seizure disorder and still more or less stood by his initial comments. I agree that if you are going to do an IM that you should be prepared, but stuff happens sometimes come race day. I nearly had a panic attack in a really cold OWS a few years back and last year at Lake Placid I had to really focus on keeping calm and not freaking out while being pummelled by all the wetsuit men...and I know I'm a strong swimmer. Anything can happen at any time, so idiotic to say what he said when it could have been panic attack, MI, PE, really anything that didn't involve being unprepared.

2012-07-23 8:17 PM
in reply to: #4326844

Fred D - 2012-07-23 2:37 PM Just came back from a run after work and it felt pretty good. I definitely feel as though my bike and run are getting up to snuff for IMMT. Swim will be my weaker link, but I'm counting on lots of prior swimming over the last few years to help me out. I'm also counting on a wetsuit lol.

I double dog dare you to create a new BT login and post the bolded in TT.

2012-07-23 8:51 PM

Master
2012-07-23 9:41 PM
in reply to: #4323573

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
TankBoy - 2012-07-21 6:53 PM Chris, Jason and Goose you guys are killing it on the bike - looks like you guys have been taking Rudy's advice WAY too seriously.

I am NOT going to do that tomorrow...

Thanks for all the inspires and PMs - I cannot respond too well as the phone network seems pretty overwhelmed here, but I really do appreciate it. I got to spend some time with James this morning - it was really great to meet. Happy to have him out on the swim course watching over us. We got signed up for next year, and James is signing up on Monday. Anyone up for a Fred D's Mentor Group meetup at 2013 IMLP????   

Rusty is was so good meeting and chatting with you and your wife.  I am in for Lake Placid 2013.  We will most likely staying over the hill onSaranac Lake Dr.  I tried to press Stacy to stay at Mirror Lake Inn.  She was digging the amenities.

Great job atLake Placid!  You hammered it and looked great!  Sorry I missed your finish.  After I got done with the swim I headed to aid station #2 from5-8pm.  Then back to a awesome finish at the oval with Andy and Pete running in the last finisher. 

2012-07-23 10:51 PM
in reply to: #4323459

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
TSimone - 2012-07-21 4:23 PM

Good luck in LP Rusty!  And I hope James enjoys his time there, too.  And good luck to anyone else racing this weekend. 

I've had a pretty bad flare up in both glutes, darn near debilitating so I've put myself on the shelf until Monday.  It's been getting progressively worse for about a week.  Annual physical Monday so I'll ask my doc what I should do.  Been trying some stretches but no relief thus far.  Not a good time for this.  7 weeks to Rev 3... 

On a lighter note, Wiggo was a machine today. 

Tom,

I had an awesome time at Lake Placid.  The swim went well with only one competitor being pulled for getting kicked in the nose.  Everyone else safely made it.  I also got to talk to the Swim Director for Mont-Tremblant.  He was at Lake Placid to see was a how a 14 year event and with and impeccable safety recorded was conducted.  We had 32 life guards and over 40 kayaks and boats.  Actually I lost count on the kayaks after 40.

I also got in some great training in.  Friday PM on arrival to LP I ran 4.5 miles.  Saturday AM I did a long loop plus swam to and from the opposite shore.  My Timex Global trainer measured 1.735 miles (3053 yards) @ :37 minutes for the swim.  It was a moderate TT effort without a wet suit.  It converted to a 1:13 per 100yds pace which I was happy with.  I purposely swam off the cable to work sighted as well.  Saturday PM I rode up Whiteface Mt.  My Strava Whiteface Mt climb;  http://app.strava.com/activities/14300598 As I started up the mountain I got to the toll not knowing it was the correct route I went back down.  Thinking I missed the turned to the Mt climb and a guy that descended behind me said I was on the Mt I just needed to go past the toll.  So I turned around and went all the way to the top.  Fun climb but legs still a little tired from last Sundays half iron distance race.  The climb was beautiful and a lot like what you would see on the Tour just not as long or steep.  Real cool climb.  Sunday I worked the swim on a Rescue board which I paddled all the way out to the turn around and back.  My time on the water was over 3hr.  Fun to get so close to Andy swimming.  I yelled out he is on a :45 minute pace and the pro on the paddleboard leading the leaders (Andy) started laughing and agreed.  Sure as you know what Andy broke the course swim record with a :45:01 time.  Very cool!  After the swim I went on a nice 8 mile run.

I also met some great people and made some new friends.  Race day was busy and I wish I was racing but I know I’ll be on that oval soon enough. 
2012-07-23 11:58 PM
in reply to: #4326886

Master
, California
tri808 - 2012-07-23 6:17 PM

Fred D - 2012-07-23 2:37 PM Just came back from a run after work and it felt pretty good. I definitely feel as though my bike and run are getting up to snuff for IMMT. Swim will be my weaker link, but I'm counting on lots of prior swimming over the last few years to help me out. I'm also counting on a wetsuit lol.

Also mention you're going to use the kayaks for planned rest intervals since you're not sure you can swim the full distance

2012-07-24 2:08 AM
in reply to: #4327128

spudone - 2012-07-23 6:58 PM
tri808 - 2012-07-23 6:17 PM

Also mention you're going to use the kayaks for planned rest intervals since you're not sure you can swim the full distance

And deny that you're an ignorant ....

2012-07-24 5:17 AM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

wow! Was it bust on Fred day?  I missed the sarc font.....

I personally think you'll be fine.  I would probable do a few longer sets like 2000-3000 straight ez to mod.  See how the body reacts.  Making sure NO strain on shoulders and good rotations; that’s just me tho......

2012-07-24 6:01 AM

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

Hello boys and girls!!!

Rusty!!!!  SOOPER CONGRATS!!!!  AWESOME!!!!

Well, i have not much to add seeing i really am done for the season. I have an Oly in September that is mostly for fun, and cyclcross starts at the end of August.

Been on my bike a bit, did 75 miles Saturday and played a round of golf yesterday and played pretty well!!!

this coming weekend i have a charity ride, the ride is scheduled for 100 miles, it actually is about 103, and I plan on doing 15 before the ride, and ride home, should get close to 125 miles, which will be my longest ride to date.

2012-07-24 7:46 AM
in reply to: #4326398

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
TSimone - 2012-07-23 4:45 PM
GoFaster - 2012-07-23 3:46 PM

Chris - I envy (can't stand) you every time you post your ride pics.  I figure it would be the same if Jason posted pics.  Don't get me wrong, I love where I live and have some great places to ride, but I wish I had proper hills to climb and train on.  Just think it would be so much fun.

Question for the group - what have you learned lately that you probably should have known a long time ago?  For me, it was taking 20lbs of pressure out of my tires form the max psi down to about 100 per wheel based on my weight.  What a difference that made on some rougher roads.  After 5 years and all the time I've spent reading and learning, I'm not sure how I missed out on proper tire pressure.  I may go even slightly less than that for my Sprint race this weekend since some of the roads are quite bad.

Air pressure for sure.  I ran max PSI last year.  One lesson I learned this weekend:  The resulting sound from a pinch flat is exponentionally louder indoors as compared to outdoors.  Still hating how hard my Conti's are to get on.  Thinking about giving Michelins a try.

I used to run at max as well but now run at 110 psi.  It is much better on all the chip seal roads around here.

Tom - Are you using the 4000s?  I find they are really easy to get on/off but maybe its just small differences in the wheel diameter.

Neil:  I found that when I started getting 8 hours of sleep each night my training really turned the corner.  I was able to hit all my workouts and add alot more intensity since recovery was better.

2012-07-24 7:48 AM
in reply to: #4327208

Payson, AZ
tasr - 2012-07-24 3:17 AM

wow! Was it bust on Fred day?  I missed the sarc font.....

I personally think you'll be fine.  I would probable do a few longer sets like 2000-3000 straight ez to mod.  See how the body reacts.  Making sure NO strain on shoulders and good rotations; that’s just me tho......

I think it is more bust on BT day.

2012-07-24 7:55 AM
in reply to: #4327330

Elite
Ontario
rymac - 2012-07-24 8:46 AM
TSimone - 2012-07-23 4:45 PM
GoFaster - 2012-07-23 3:46 PM

Chris - I envy (can't stand) you every time you post your ride pics.  I figure it would be the same if Jason posted pics.  Don't get me wrong, I love where I live and have some great places to ride, but I wish I had proper hills to climb and train on.  Just think it would be so much fun.

Question for the group - what have you learned lately that you probably should have known a long time ago?  For me, it was taking 20lbs of pressure out of my tires form the max psi down to about 100 per wheel based on my weight.  What a difference that made on some rougher roads.  After 5 years and all the time I've spent reading and learning, I'm not sure how I missed out on proper tire pressure.  I may go even slightly less than that for my Sprint race this weekend since some of the roads are quite bad.

Air pressure for sure.  I ran max PSI last year.  One lesson I learned this weekend:  The resulting sound from a pinch flat is exponentionally louder indoors as compared to outdoors.  Still hating how hard my Conti's are to get on.  Thinking about giving Michelins a try.

I used to run at max as well but now run at 110 psi.  It is much better on all the chip seal roads around here.

Tom - Are you using the 4000s?  I find they are really easy to get on/off but maybe its just small differences in the wheel diameter.

Neil:  I found that when I started getting 8 hours of sleep each night my training really turned the corner.  I was able to hit all my workouts and add alot more intensity since recovery was better.

Ryan - that's a good point.  I keep promising myself a solid night's sleep, but by the time the kids are down to bed and we've cleaned up, it would time for me to head off to bed - so I let some of the sleep time slide so I can hang out with my wife.

As for the Conti's, I also find mine are a PITA, same as the trainer tire.  The cheaper tires, no issues, but sometimes I'll throw on a pair of full finger gloves to wrestle the 4000's on so I save my thumbs.

2012-07-24 7:59 AM
in reply to: #4327330

2012-07-24 8:00 AM
in reply to: #4327352

Payson, AZ
GoFaster - 2012-07-24 5:55 AM

As for the Conti's, I also find mine are a PITA, same as the trainer tire.  The cheaper tires, no issues, but sometimes I'll throw on a pair of full finger gloves to wrestle the 4000's on so I save my thumbs.

Interesting.  I have no problems with mine.  But often I am putting mine on when it is like 100 or so.  Wonder if that is a factor given that the tire is pretty warm.  The very first installation is rough though.  I run my stock wheels though.  Would imagine the wheels play a factor as well.

2012-07-24 8:39 AM

Extreme Veteran

Hey group !

I kept the WTC web sites busy this morning

Signed up as a volunteer at IMMT. Run course, special needs station...whatever that is :-)

Signed up for Muskoka 70.3. Not sure why, but I did :-)

2012-07-24 8:40 AM

NC

Congrats Rusty!

This weekend's training camp was a five mile hike up, net climb 2560 ft., to Leconte Lodge in the Great Smokey Mountains National Park (http://www.lecontelodge.com).  Eat and drink a bunch at the top and hike down the following morning.  We had our 6yo and his 7yo and 5yo buddies with us, so it was a blast.  Highly recommended if you're in the southeast.  They feed and house you, so it's backpacking light.

Going to try to get back in the routine today.  This weekend I'm volunteering as a course marshal (pun!) at the local 24hr. fundraising ride.  Should be on course for at least six hours total over two days.  Not exactly an intense effort, but should be a fun time on the bike with hundreds of other riders.

2012-07-24 9:11 AM

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Hey guys - lots going on here as usual!

Rusty - awesome job!! How are you feeling??

As for me - we just got back from our long weekend in Mt Tremblant - we didn't do as much training as i had thought we would but it was also nice to get away.  Due to some mechanical trouble for my DH we did just one loop of the bike course.  Were heading out on the second when his handlebars started coming loose. It was a problem with the new headset (I think that's what it is).  We were just about to head out on the highway section too so it was good that he checked it before then.  I probably could have struck out on my own but I wanted to make sure that D was okay to get back and I had lost the mojo at that point.

We also did one loop of the run route. But we didn't swim. We did sleep a lot - it was so nice to get away - we were both asleep early each night! hahaha - apparently we needed it! hahaha - how cool are we!

I am very impressed with Mont Tremblant. I have never been before but it is fantastic and the race will be fantastic.  It's a really beautiful setting - the village will be amazing for the finish area.  It should be really cool!

The bike course is very fair I thought.  Comparing my experience with Muskoka which is a difficult bike course I did the loop 15 minutes faster than any time i have biked Muskoka - and the one town, Ste. Jovite that the bike course passes through was ridiculously busy so that was a slow section which will not happen on race day.  

2012-07-24 9:14 AM
in reply to: #4327428

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
marcag - 2012-07-24 9:39 AM

Hey group !

I kept the WTC web sites busy this morning

Signed up as a volunteer at IMMT. Run course, special needs station...whatever that is :-)

Signed up for Muskoka 70.3. Not sure why, but I did :-)

oooh!!  We'll see you there at Tremblant then! So you're volunteering with a view to registering for next year??

Muskoka is also a great race ... are you going to stay at Deerhurst?  I've raced it once but been there three years as my DH did it before I could really swim (it's where we got engaged in 2009).   

2012-07-24 9:18 AM
in reply to: #4327510

Payson, AZ

juniperjen - 2012-07-24 7:11 AM Were heading out on the second when his handlebars started coming loose. It was a problem with the new headset (I think that's what it is).  We were just about to head out on the highway section too so it was good that he checked it before then. 

This is why I always have a multi tool set on me.  When I put my bike back together after coming back from my Texas HIM I didn't tighten the handlebars enough and they started to come lose on me.  just stopped, tightened them back up and continued

2012-07-24 9:25 AM
in reply to: #4327530

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
bzgl40 - 2012-07-24 10:18 AM

juniperjen - 2012-07-24 7:11 AM Were heading out on the second when his handlebars started coming loose. It was a problem with the new headset (I think that's what it is).  We were just about to head out on the highway section too so it was good that he checked it before then. 

This is why I always have a multi tool set on me.  When I put my bike back together after coming back from my Texas HIM I didn't tighten the handlebars enough and they started to come lose on me.  just stopped, tightened them back up and continued

So, yeah, that is always good.  He did have one but the threading got stripped on the inside of the headset and he couldn't fix it.  It was basically broken.  He has an older tri bike that doesn't have the 4 bolt set up (which mine does) where you can really see how tight it is and yeah, it sucked.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D's triathlon training group CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 108