Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 149

2013-10-13 5:16 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

NC
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN
Originally posted by Jason N

The finish line was surreal. Nothing hurt anymore and I had the line to myself.

Congrats!

2013-10-13 6:25 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by TankBoy

Nothing hurt anymore and I had the line to myself.

Absolutely priceless.

A perfect way to end an incredible journey.

2013-10-13 8:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Jason N RR is going to take a few days to muster all my thoughts together but just a brief recap. First of all at least 2 out of my 3 picks for the podium made the top 5 with Kienle and O'Donnell. And I did get to run with Hines Ward for about a mile. Dude was very steady. Not much of a small talk guy though, he was just in his own zone. There was a photographer on a motorcycle in front of him at the time so I'm sure I got some photos with him...especially since we were both in refuel kits. And arend, I did make it to hualalai just before the hot corner when van lierde passed me so I very well could have been on tv. I had no idea what was going on until after it happened. The last 30 miles of the bike was brutal. I have heard stories about it but I had no idea. The run was overcast, thank god, but it was still hot. I couldn't keep my hr down andI I was incorporating walking in the first mile. Side stiches were a problem pretty much the whole run. The finish line was surreal. Nothing hurt anymore and I had the line to myself.

Phenomenal!

Can't wait to read the full RR - sounds like there is a LOT to put in there.

Congratulations on a race well run!

It's been a blast following you on the way up to it, and I'm happy that it went so well.

Matt

2013-10-14 12:01 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Ran an 18K Xterra trail run yesterday.  Everytime I do an xterra run I wonder why I don't do more, they are so much fun!    Did my first in 2010, the 11K version of this run, at a 13 minute mile average.  Last year did the 11K again at an 11 minute mile average.  Yesterday did the 18K, basically the 11K course plus a lot more climbing, at 9:25 per mile average, last mile was a 7:15 pace!  Never run that fast, helps that it was downhill, but it's a pretty technical downhill singletrack.   Mud and dirt is fun

This was where we had a major fire last year, so the entire run is through a coastal burn area.  Oddly beautiful in its own way, like running on a moonscape over the ocean.

2013-10-14 1:10 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Awesome improvement, congrats!

I've done one race that had a hilly trail run.  Hardest thing I've ever done outside of an IM.

2013-10-14 2:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ChrisM

Ran an 18K Xterra trail run yesterday.  Everytime I do an xterra run I wonder why I don't do more, they are so much fun!    Did my first in 2010, the 11K version of this run, at a 13 minute mile average.  Last year did the 11K again at an 11 minute mile average.  Yesterday did the 18K, basically the 11K course plus a lot more climbing, at 9:25 per mile average, last mile was a 7:15 pace!  Never run that fast, helps that it was downhill, but it's a pretty technical downhill singletrack.   Mud and dirt is fun

This was where we had a major fire last year, so the entire run is through a coastal burn area.  Oddly beautiful in its own way, like running on a moonscape over the ocean.

Chris,

they televised IM Whistler yesterday. I recorded it. i will rip a DVD and give it to you in Miami. It's mostly pro action but I am sure you will recognize the scenery.

2013-10-14 2:19 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by marcag

Chris, they televised IM Whistler yesterday. I recorded it. i will rip a DVD and give it to you in Miami. It's mostly pro action but I am sure you will recognize the scenery.

Cool, thanks!  I knew they were televising it.

Arend and Marc, when do you get in and where are you staying?  Coming in Friday 2 ish, hope to be able to get all my check in done that day.  Staying at the Intercontinental i guess right there at the race site.   Still wondering where tri bike transport is gonna be.....

Edited by ChrisM 2013-10-14 2:19 PM
2013-10-14 2:24 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

We fly into Fort Lauderdale late on Thursday and are staying there until Saturday morning.  Staying at the Marriott about a half mile from the race site.

2013-10-14 5:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Arend and Marc, when do you get in and where are you staying?  Coming in Friday 2 ish, hope to be able to get all my check in done that day.  Staying at the Intercontinental i guess right there at the race site.   

I arrive early for a mini vacation (monday) but don't know where I will stay yet
2013-10-14 5:54 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by Jason N RR is going to take a few days to muster all my thoughts together but just a brief recap. First of all at least 2 out of my 3 picks for the podium made the top 5 with Kienle and O'Donnell. And I did get to run with Hines Ward for about a mile. Dude was very steady. Not much of a small talk guy though, he was just in his own zone. There was a photographer on a motorcycle in front of him at the time so I'm sure I got some photos with him...especially since we were both in refuel kits. And arend, I did make it to hualalai just before the hot corner when van lierde passed me so I very well could have been on tv. I had no idea what was going on until after it happened. The last 30 miles of the bike was brutal. I have heard stories about it but I had no idea. The run was overcast, thank god, but it was still hot. I couldn't keep my hr down andI I was incorporating walking in the first mile. Side stiches were a problem pretty much the whole run. The finish line was surreal. Nothing hurt anymore and I had the line to myself.

Away for Cdn Thanksgiving weekend and unable to post - Congrats Jason.  Sounds like a painful but special day.

2013-10-15 1:57 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Just got back home and trying to go through a ton of laundry.  One thing that's good from walking a lot of a 6+ hour marathon...you don't hurt nearly as much afterwards...LOL.

I can't say enough how awesome of an experience I had.  As for what went wrong...I really have no clue.  You guys are going to flip out on what wattage I held and still couldn't run.  I'm going to be busy catching up with work and settling back into normal life, so I may not have a full race report up till this weekend.  Well, actually, I plan to have a race report separate from just a "trip report" because this was really so much more than just one day to sum up.

And never in my life would I ever thought I would say this after a race...BUT DID YOU SEE MY SWIM SPLIT??? 

2013-10-15 5:00 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

And never in my life would I ever thought I would say this after a race...BUT DID YOU SEE MY SWIM SPLIT??? 

Man, you must have been pumped to see that time when you got out of the water (assuming you saw it then?)!  I know I was.    First IM, ocean swim with no wetsuit, awesome time.  

2013-10-15 5:03 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Interesting post from Jordan Rapp on how he improved his swim time over last year in Kona.  It will be interesting to see what another year of training like that will do for him (assuming he maintains it).

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/cgi-bin/gforum.cgi?post=4809259#4809259

2013-10-15 5:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great race !!!

As for what went wrong...I really have no clue. 

There are days in training where it clicks and others where it doesn't and we have no explanation for it. Multiply this by x1000 at race efforts, in brutal brutal conditions.

You guys are going to flip out on what wattage I held and still couldn't run.

How did you pace the bike ? Watts, feel, HR....all 3 ?

BUT DID YOU SEE MY SWIM SPLIT???

Yes, very impressive. Wanna coach my swim ?

One last question. did you get a tatoo ?

Edited by marcag 2013-10-15 5:22 AM
2013-10-15 8:35 AM
in reply to: axteraa

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by axteraa

Interesting post from Jordan Rapp on how he improved his swim time over last year in Kona.  It will be interesting to see what another year of training like that will do for him (assuming he maintains it).

Yes, that was a good read. I don't know if he'll keep it up the entire year, as he'll likely put in some time to keep his bike up as well. Certainly will remember what he's learned here and implement as much as he can. He really wants to make the front pack.

2013-10-15 9:44 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Pro
NJ

I believe Chris and perhaps other were interested in SOS in 2014. Received the following link for the 100 pre-lottery slots. Chris, time diff might work in your favor on this since it opens at midnight. 

http://sostriathlon.com/registration-2014-survival-of-the-shawangunks-triathlon/

2013-10-15 12:05 PM
in reply to: kcarroll

User image

Originally posted by kcarroll

I believe Chris and perhaps other were interested in SOS in 2014. Received the following link for the 100 pre-lottery slots. Chris, time diff might work in your favor on this since it opens at midnight. 

http://sostriathlon.com/registration-2014-survival-of-the-shawangunks-triathlon/

Yeah, my friend owns IM Athlete (the reg co.) and he told me they were going to lottery.  But he told me it was going to be $5, not $25.  Can I get lucky twice in a season?  If I don't get in, maybe thinking IM Canada again.

2013-10-15 12:06 PM

User image

Just got back home and trying to go through a ton of laundry.  One thing that's good from walking a lot of a 6+ hour marathon...you don't hurt nearly as much afterwards...LOL.

I can't say enough how awesome of an experience I had.  As for what went wrong...I really have no clue.  You guys are going to flip out on what wattage I held and still couldn't run.  I'm going to be busy catching up with work and settling back into normal life, so I may not have a full race report up till this weekend.  Well, actually, I plan to have a race report separate from just a "trip report" because this was really so much more than just one day to sum up.

Awesome swim

I am interested in the power numbers, as seems like IM Canada was similar for me.  And yeah, afterward my wife said "you don't look destroyed,"  Well, that's what a nice couple hours of walking will do for you!

2013-10-15 12:25 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Originally posted by brigby1

Yes, that was a good read. I don't know if he'll keep it up the entire year, as he'll likely put in some time to keep his bike up as well. Certainly will remember what he's learned here and implement as much as he can. He really wants to make the front pack.

Agree, that was an interesting read.

Though I was a little surprised to read that he doesn't do stroke work, but a lot of other people think it is beneficial for triathletes. Coming from a non-swim background, I don't actually know how to do any other stroke. I told my masters coaches that I'd put in an honest effort after the season was over for the year....yesterday was the first time that I was actually asked to do any different strokes and one of my coaches happened to be swimming in my lane with me. I asked for pointers....and the more I thought about it, the worse they got. By the second time through IM order, I gave up half way through breast stroke and announced again that "other strokes are stupid".

So what's the consensus in here? If you don't get "bored" doing all freestyle, is there any benefit to attempting to learn different strokes? I think it's all harder as an adult than it would have been as a child...
2013-10-15 12:48 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by ligersandtions
Originally posted by brigby1

Agree, that was an interesting read. Though I was a little surprised to read that he doesn't do stroke work, but a lot of other people think it is beneficial for triathletes. Coming from a non-swim background, I don't actually know how to do any other stroke. I told my masters coaches that I'd put in an honest effort after the season was over for the year....yesterday was the first time that I was actually asked to do any different strokes and one of my coaches happened to be swimming in my lane with me. I asked for pointers....and the more I thought about it, the worse they got. By the second time through IM order, I gave up half way through breast stroke and announced again that "other strokes are stupid". So what's the consensus in here? If you don't get "bored" doing all freestyle, is there any benefit to attempting to learn different strokes? I think it's all harder as an adult than it would have been as a child...

I think, in trying to remember previous postings over the last couple years, that he may do the other strokes at times, but not anywhere near where a swim team will. He doesn't need that balance, so doesn't do it. So could be more of a degree type question.

Doing the other strokes on occasion can help to balance out conditioning around the shoulders. When I'm swimming more, I usually do work in an IM or stroke workout on occasion. Sometimes more regularly than others. They have helped towards my stroke development in both conditioning and feel of the water. Have had a few "aha" type moments in free after getting more used to say fly or backstroke. Back has also helped open up my range of motion up high, so my extension is easier and better. Most obvious thing from fly is learning to work harder. Dolphin kicking has helped with midsection condition and skill in controlling position. My free body position is noticeably better when I get just a bit of that in the warm-up, and have held it better longer when adding more of that work, for some examples. Still haven't found much benefit to breast stroke yet.

I think some people worry about having a stroke night in Masters in that it's not entirely freestyle and getting carried away with specificity. But it's not a problem there as they can help with free just by simply being in the water more than they would have, in addition to anything already mentioned. Especially in Masters as it will be quality swimming. Stroke or IM workouts also tend to have a good deal of free in them. A number of the ones I've done might be nearly half freestyle in the main set, and more in the warm-up.

2013-10-15 1:10 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Stroke work we do at our masters is usually a few 50s thrown in the warmup, and alternating 100 IMs and free somewhere during the set.  Less than 10% total workout, if at all.  I enjoy it as 90% of my swimming is freestyle so nice to utilize some different muscles. 

2013-10-15 2:07 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Fred D 2013-10-15 2:08 PM
2013-10-15 2:12 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Definitely FUN!

tease.......

2013-10-15 2:14 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-10-15 2:51 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Fred D

Definitely FUN!

tease.......

It's on my Strava ride. Look into the 'new page' and it shows laps etc. The hour power curve is actually wrong as I held more power than that.

I find these efforts hard, but I used a couple of strategies to help pace it. And it was actually 'fun'

Nicely done Fred!  Did you have a number in mind and were you watching your power while you did it?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 149

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?

date : October 15, 2008
author : AMSSM
I've had shoulder problems since the very beginning of tri training. I did see an ortho who took x-rays and said I have a type II acromioin. I'd love to know some stretches to help my flexibility.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Courage
comments : 8
What is it that brought me to my knees one Sunday morning and then kicked me into a hole of self loathing and apparent depression? My apparent salvation was my old blue Fuji Royale II.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.