2013-10-16 12:58 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN
Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by acumenjay Rusty, nice work. I'm still trying to build my running back up to the point where I can absorb consistent quality workouts but am hoping for a track session tomorrow after an easier couple days. Since we are all talking power, I'm sure some of you have already seen it but nice little thread on ST with Kona AG power data. It is nice to see what FOP AGers are doing besides just the FOP pros. Pretty crazy how 'easy' of a day it looked to be in comparison to other. A lot of sub 5 rides with efforts that aren't all that high. Obviously solid work and some had great runs but taking the the bike data in isolation it looks to have been a really fast course. http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=4810867;sb=post_latest_...

We were looking at Sam Gyde's profile before, but one of the guys is claiming 327 NP for 4:32 (Sam was 288 NP). His linked file is set to private, so can't see it. Sound like it's Josh Beck (Lake Placid and others) from Kyle Yost's posting.

Josh Beck and Sami Inkinen were the only ones to ride 4:32 so the odds are good.  327 NP seems like a lot for that time?  Unless he's an aero brick or had a lower AP / huge VI that skewed the NP to speed?

I was thinking it sounded like a lot and it could be a high VI. I'm not sure how big he is, but having checked just his Placid race this year the guy dropped a 4:40. MOST AGers don't even break 5 at IMLP (literally just a few). Potts did 4:48. So I doubt he is that big of a guy to do that on a course with some elevation. He may not be perfectly aero but I'd gues, just a guess, that at 4:32 is reasonable seeing how the pointy end of the men's pro field is racing a different race and are working together. Looks like he swam a 1:17 so he probably gets out of the water and spends the first half of the bike having to surge and pass groups of people...Obviously just hypothesizing on how it would play out but not out of the realm of possibility.

2013-10-16 1:19 PM
in reply to: acumenjay

User image

Elite
Ontario

Just looking at that thread gives me hope sometimes - and also baffles me at the same time.  4:49 on 201 watts...how does that happen???

2013-10-16 2:32 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by acumenjay I was thinking it sounded like a lot and it could be a high VI. I'm not sure how big he is, but having checked just his Placid race this year the guy dropped a 4:40. MOST AGers don't even break 5 at IMLP (literally just a few). Potts did 4:48. So I doubt he is that big of a guy to do that on a course with some elevation. He may not be perfectly aero but I'd gues, just a guess, that at 4:32 is reasonable seeing how the pointy end of the men's pro field is racing a different race and are working together. Looks like he swam a 1:17 so he probably gets out of the water and spends the first half of the bike having to surge and pass groups of people...Obviously just hypothesizing on how it would play out but not out of the realm of possibility.

http://www.finisherpix.com/photos/my-photos/currency/USD/pctrl/Photos/paction/search/pevent/ironman-world-championship-2013/pbib/1558.html

Doesn't look like that big of a guy, nor an aero brick (even with the non aero helmet!).  Having his jersey unzipped probably didn't help either.

Neil, the 4:49 on 201w is pretty slippery.  Apparently the trick is to be Canadian!

http://www.finisherpix.com/photos/my-photos/currency/USD/pctrl/Photos/paction/search/pevent/ironman-world-championship-2013/pbib/1858.html

edited for bad cutting and pasting

Edited by axteraa 2013-10-16 2:33 PM
2013-10-16 2:35 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

2013-10-16 2:40 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

The new update is murdering the format of the trip report I wanted to include. I'll get that up later.
2013-10-16 3:01 PM

User image

Great report Jason.  As a good friend once wrote, ultimately it's not about the time it took you to get from the start to the finish, but about the time you had in between

2013-10-16 4:03 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

I like that saying Chris. Really rings true for me.Now that said...someone talk me off the ledge. I busted my butt running tons of mileage this whole year...and I really have nothing to show for it. I struggled at Honu, and barely "ran" more than 2 miles at Kona. Strongly considering exploring if I should do the Honolulu Marathon. I signed up long ago for the super discounted rate of $26, so it's of no additional cost to me. I wouldn't wreck myself training for the next 6 weeks, just sort of maintain maybe 30-40 mpw and just see what happens. My legs feel really good right now. And there's a 30k race next weekend that I may give a shot just to see where I'm at.
2013-10-16 5:10 PM

User image

2013-10-16 5:29 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-10-16 5:31 PM

2013-10-16 6:07 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

Master
Northern IL

And the swim is in Lake Mead!  Going to be fun riding up and out of there.

2013-10-16 6:24 PM
in reply to: brigby1

Never got to do silverman but have raced a few times out of lake mead.  Absolutely gorgeous swim and desert scenery.  and a solidly tough course to boot

2013-10-16 8:34 PM

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Neil, the 4:49 on 201w is pretty slippery.  Apparently the trick is to be Canadian!

Or be the size of a small girl

If I could hold 201W for 112 miles, I think I could be that fast....but I can't.  Just thinking about that is insane.  The amount of time and effort these elite AG'ers / pros put in and the results they get are just incredible.

2013-10-16 9:06 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by ligersandtions

If I could hold 201W for 112 miles, I think I could be that fast....but I can't.  Just thinking about that is insane.  The amount of time and effort these elite AG'ers / pros put in and the results they get are just incredible.

I look at that number, and I think, wow...that's almost possible (with a lot of improvement), but my position must suck, cause I'm nowhere close to fast enough, on higher watts at shorter distances.

2013-10-16 9:26 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by GoFaster

Originally posted by ligersandtions

I look at that number, and I think, wow...that's almost possible (with a lot of improvement), but my position must suck, cause I'm nowhere close to fast enough, on higher watts at shorter distances.

Don't forget the ability to slipstream well. I don't have numbers to quantify, but do believe that there is skill involved with this. Lots of ducking in and out would need some ability to keep up momentum well.

2013-10-16 9:38 PM
in reply to: Fred D

I think you're right Fred...I must have lost my mind. There is a half marathon in mid November. If I still feel like running in a few weeks (BIG IF), I may give that a shot. It be nice to crack 1:40, which shouldn't be too big a hurdle if my legs cooperate. And if they don't, it's not that difficult to LSR the last 3-5 miles with huge recovery costs. Maybe I just need to go for a ride. Chasing some strava segments might cure this little itch just fine too.

2013-10-17 5:24 AM

2013-10-17 5:26 AM

2013-10-17 7:45 AM

Master
, California

Originally posted by Jason N I think you're right Fred...I must have lost my mind. There is a half marathon in mid November. If I still feel like running in a few weeks (BIG IF), I may give that a shot. It be nice to crack 1:40, which shouldn't be too big a hurdle if my legs cooperate. And if they don't, it's not that difficult to LSR the last 3-5 miles with huge recovery costs. Maybe I just need to go for a ride. Chasing some strava segments might cure this little itch just fine too.

Hey Jason I felt the same kind of desire to run after Tahoe.  Basically all that run training I did over the past year went to waste because the bike course and weather destroyed me.  I want to see some payoff for the time I put in!  But I agree with Fred -- I wouldn't push to do a marathon too soon.  IM recovery is a little sneaky.  You feel recovered after a couple weeks but it's more like 80%, or at least for me.

2013-10-17 7:57 AM

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by Fred D Agree with Ben on the drafting/slipstream. Kona has a ton of fast swimmer and bikers who ride together and even the fastest AGers are passing, well, fast AGers. Bryan Dunn always said Kona had a lot of drafting, just due to the nature of the field. Josh Beck's numbers are truly incredible though. Much more power than any pro out there and also he got to pass a 1,000+ people so some draft advantage! and yet he rode 10' slower than the top 3 pro's....

But even look at Paul Devanish's bike split - and his position!!  5:20 on 191 AP/201 NP - and he's almost sitting up. 

2013-10-17 8:06 AM

Master
Guilford, CT
Originally posted by Fred D

Agree with Ben on the drafting/slipstream. Kona has a ton of fast swimmer and bikers who ride together and even the fastest AGers are passing, well, fast AGers. Bryan Dunn always said Kona had a lot of drafting, just due to the nature of the field. Josh Beck's numbers are truly incredible though. Much more power than any pro out there and also he got to pass a 1,000+ people so some draft advantage! and yet he rode 10' slower than the top 3 pro's....

Goes to show you I think how dialed in the pros are now a days with their position. I forget the percentage they were saying that front group saves by working together in the legal draft, but that mixed with the weight difference and a less than perfect position really do add up to a lot. I can't believe that guy went 4:40 at IMLP at 178lbs. That is pretty incredible. Andy Potts went 4:48 and a FOP AG split there is low 5:20s for the most part (you get some low 5s too). I think Potts having to work alone out front of that race without other pros to work with shows how much slower it is. There really isn't another way around it, he is anomaly on the bike.

2013-10-17 8:10 AM
in reply to: acumenjay

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by acumenjay
Originally posted by Fred D Agree with Ben on the drafting/slipstream. Kona has a ton of fast swimmer and bikers who ride together and even the fastest AGers are passing, well, fast AGers. Bryan Dunn always said Kona had a lot of drafting, just due to the nature of the field. Josh Beck's numbers are truly incredible though. Much more power than any pro out there and also he got to pass a 1,000+ people so some draft advantage! and yet he rode 10' slower than the top 3 pro's....
Goes to show you I think how dialed in the pros are now a days with their position. I forget the percentage they were saying that front group saves by working together in the legal draft, but that mixed with the weight difference and a less than perfect position really do add up to a lot. I can't believe that guy went 4:40 at IMLP at 178lbs. That is pretty incredible. Andy Potts went 4:48 and a FOP AG split there is low 5:20s for the most part (you get some low 5s too). I think Potts having to work alone out front of that race without other pros to work with shows how much slower it is. There really isn't another way around it, he is anomaly on the bike.

Do know that he is a very good professional duathlete and was a pro cyclist at one point, though not sure what level he got to there.

2013-10-17 8:13 AM
in reply to: spudone

Master
Guilford, CT
Originally posted by spudone

Originally posted by Jason N I think you're right Fred...I must have lost my mind. There is a half marathon in mid November. If I still feel like running in a few weeks (BIG IF), I may give that a shot. It be nice to crack 1:40, which shouldn't be too big a hurdle if my legs cooperate. And if they don't, it's not that difficult to LSR the last 3-5 miles with huge recovery costs. Maybe I just need to go for a ride. Chasing some strava segments might cure this little itch just fine too.

Hey Jason I felt the same kind of desire to run after Tahoe.  Basically all that run training I did over the past year went to waste because the bike course and weather destroyed me.  I want to see some payoff for the time I put in!  But I agree with Fred -- I wouldn't push to do a marathon too soon.  IM recovery is a little sneaky.  You feel recovered after a couple weeks but it's more like 80%, or at least for me.

6 weeks is too soon. Same thing happened to me when I made a bunch of rookie Ironman mistakes. I was frustrated and did a marathon a few months later. You'll end up with some sneaky fatigue and then by the time you recover it'll be too late to really put any work in and the marathon will be around the corner, you'll suffer through it and then be back in the hole another couple weeks. I'd really think hard about what you want to get out of it and if you are willing to basically just toss out the couple months of training for it. If you are cool with that and want to go have fun and trot it out then that's fine but just know going in.
2013-10-17 9:18 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by GoFaster

But even look at Paul Devanish's bike split - and his position!!  5:20 on 191 AP/201 NP - and he's almost sitting up. 

As much as he likes to say it, his position isn't really all that bad.  He passed me at IMMT last year and his position is pretty decent on the eyeball aero wind tunnel scale.  He's also 5'6", 140 lbs.  

2013-10-17 9:35 AM

Master
Guilford, CT
Neil, check this app out!

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/10/automated-measurement-review.htm...

I literally just saw the review pop onto my feed and it seemed timely. Pretty cool looking app. I'm going to have to get it.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 149

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?

date : October 15, 2008
author : AMSSM
I've had shoulder problems since the very beginning of tri training. I did see an ortho who took x-rays and said I have a type II acromioin. I'd love to know some stretches to help my flexibility.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Courage
comments : 8
What is it that brought me to my knees one Sunday morning and then kicked me into a hole of self loathing and apparent depression? My apparent salvation was my old blue Fuji Royale II.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.