BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 298

2011-06-12 2:51 PM
in reply to: #3544701

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed

GrapeJuice - 2011-06-12 1:41 PM Question. If my midfoot is a little tender after my runs now does that mean I need to get new shoes? I probably have about 200-250 miles on my current shoes cause I ran in them before I started using the BT equipment tracker. My feet were never sore or tender on runs before so I am assuming that's the case, just checking though.

That's usually the indicator I use, if everythings good then all of a sudden your foot is sore and it's not an injury probably time to replace the shoes, though 200-250 miles is a bit early from my experience,.

2011-06-12 2:55 PM
in reply to: #3544828

User image

Champion

Found another reason not to ride with an ipod today.  Ended up doing  a Gran Fondo type ride today, basically it's a century type ride but it's timed.  Anyways cruising along and I see a guy right in front of me on a straight section go a$$ over tea kettle and smack the ground and his bike went flying.

Another guy and I stopped to help him out, I moved his bike out of the road and when I picked it up noticed his ear-buds were tangled in the front wheel.  Amazingly no road rash I could see, but he was a bit freaked out I think, the other guy and I hung out with him a bit until we thought he had himself together.

2011-06-12 4:01 PM
in reply to: #3544832

User image

Expert
Noosa
dalessit - 2011-06-13 5:55 AM

Found another reason not to ride with an ipod today.  Ended up doing  a Gran Fondo type ride today, basically it's a century type ride but it's timed.  Anyways cruising along and I see a guy right in front of me on a straight section go a$$ over tea kettle and smack the ground and his bike went flying.

Another guy and I stopped to help him out, I moved his bike out of the road and when I picked it up noticed his ear-buds were tangled in the front wheel.  Amazingly no road rash I could see, but he was a bit freaked out I think, the other guy and I hung out with him a bit until we thought he had himself together.

I did something similar as a kid but with a towel; my parents were away for the day and I had been invited to a friends house for a swim in their pool. I set off down the road with my towel rolled up on the handlebars and just as I picked up speed - BAM!!! - I smashed head first into the road...!

My towel had slipped down and got stuck in the spokes/fork. I took a decent layer off skin off my shoulders and forehead but just got back on and cycled about 5 miles to my friends house. I remember the looks I got as I took my T-shirt off to jump in their pool, I still had gravel coming out about a week later.

I'm still VERY wary of carrying anything on my bike that might get caught up.

Funny how in those days parents left the kids alone all day, kids went cycling across the country on their own and no-one had heard of cycling helmets!!!

2011-06-12 4:46 PM
in reply to: #3434069

User image

Master
Tosa, WI

Per Suzie's request, I am back home from my race.  Since this was just a training race, I am happy that I hit my most of my goals and "stayed in my box " by racing my own race but the 3 hour car ride home after didn't help the legs.  Swim was shortened due to Fog, it just would not lift after waiting over an hour!  

Have a bunch of family stuff to get caught up on now .....  RR & details tomorrow.  (Just call me George!)  Laughing

2011-06-12 7:29 PM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
Finished my race yesterday but it was quite weird. This was a club chase which had been OK'd by the local conservation area where the Olympic race weekend will be held next week. Started out well with about 30 of us entered. We all submitted out estimated overall races times. At the start of the race we started the swim leg in staggered times so that hypothetically we would all finish at the same time. I have done a small RR so you can read about my section if you are inclined We were down to the last two people to start and the park official came and said that because we were "timing" the event we would have to stop. So we had to cancel the event. Pretty much everyone out on the course said screw it and finished all the events anyways.
What a rip off when we had already OK'd that we were doing a practice race for the club with the park already.
Any way I finished 12 minutes ahead of my estimated time so I am thinking I will be able to PB my Olympic race next week.
2011-06-12 7:37 PM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
Trevor how did that 3 hr trainer session go. I have done them before and found they were simply not terribly exciting

2011-06-12 8:00 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
Had a great race...and a blast with Kim!!!  rr is up.....
2011-06-12 8:23 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
great job racers!   good race today.   had a blast with chris.  great guy... good to finally meat him.  (jeepguy for all you newer peeps.)
2011-06-12 8:42 PM
in reply to: #3544949

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
badgerintx - 2011-06-12 5:46 PM

Per Suzie's request, I am back home from my race.  Since this was just a training race, I am happy that I hit my most of my goals and "stayed in my box " by racing my own race but the 3 hour car ride home after didn't help the legs.  Swim was shortened due to Fog, it just would not lift after waiting over an hour!  

Have a bunch of family stuff to get caught up on now .....  RR & details tomorrow.  (Just call me George!)  Laughing

Hey, if you are going to be like me you need to wait until Wednesday or Thursday to do your RR!!!

2011-06-12 10:14 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Had lots of fun today! Met up with Linda, but never got a chance to meet up with Cheri. Hope you had a good day, Cheri! My swim was yet again my nemesis, I need to make OWS my friend! Bike and run, I felt great about. Pulling a George, RR tomorrow, I'm pooped!Congrats to John, Dino, Cheri and Ms. 14 seconds from that bottle of wine, Linda! Yankx???
2011-06-13 7:07 AM
in reply to: #3545394

User image

Champion

Happy Monday!

Anyone have anything exciting going on this week?

2011-06-13 7:16 AM

User image

Chatham Ontario

Anyone ever Over Train and experiance symptoms. Last week I think I had my highest volume in around 650 mins recorded on here and about 90 mins of strength training not recorded (90 mins a week in strength I hardly record)

Anyways on Saturdays ride I did a few things wrong. I didn't eat enough for breakfast, I didn't drink enough water before and during. We had lunch with friends that came 70km from the other direction. I ate a lot and was hungry, had one glass of water and then went to ride home and about 30 mins into the ride I fell apart completely, had no strength in my legs and could hardly keep up to the other two I was with. I struggled for another 60 mins just to make it home. I was misserable, tired and even had a bit of a melt down in the shower after. As I had really wanted to do a BRICK on Saturday to feel better prepared for my first sprint this  coming Sunday.

Needless to say I went home and drank a lot of water, ate more food and rested the afternoon and evening away. I ended up taking yesterday off as well. My legs were really sore yesterday. Today they are sore again, achy feel like I have no strength in them. I am tapering this week anyways but really wanted to do a BRICK still. Even if it was a shorter one. Not only has my volume increased as of late but so has the intensity.

The only other thing I did out of the Ordinary was a really deep massage on Friday after work I went to see my MT and spent 90 mins with her working on me. Oh and Fridays are my off days so I did nothing on Friday as well.

Are these signs of over training? Did the massage loosen up some muscles and cause me to loose power and hurt now.

I did have a great day yesterday as the run clinics I helped with did their first race yesterday. I opted to not run and take pictures instead. Glad I did. It was an amazing day to watch all our 5k and 10k people at their first race. We brough 22 people to the race from our town down to the city hosting the race. Lots of smiles all day long.

But now I am stressed from feeling sore still.

Edited by Techdiver 2011-06-13 7:19 AM
2011-06-13 8:05 AM
in reply to: #3545578

User image

Master
dalessit - 2011-06-13 5:07 AM

Happy Monday!

Not so much race-wise, but it's the last week of school and my bouncing baby boy graduates from elementary school on Thursday. (GULP!!) All of that is exciting enough for me!!!

2011-06-13 8:29 AM
in reply to: #3545587

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Techdiver - 2011-06-13 8:16 AM

Anyone ever Over Train and experiance symptoms. Last week I think I had my highest volume in around 650 mins recorded on here and about 90 mins of strength training not recorded (90 mins a week in strength I hardly record)

Anyways on Saturdays ride I did a few things wrong. I didn't eat enough for breakfast, I didn't drink enough water before and during. We had lunch with friends that came 70km from the other direction. I ate a lot and was hungry, had one glass of water and then went to ride home and about 30 mins into the ride I fell apart completely, had no strength in my legs and could hardly keep up to the other two I was with. I struggled for another 60 mins just to make it home. I was misserable, tired and even had a bit of a melt down in the shower after. As I had really wanted to do a BRICK on Saturday to feel better prepared for my first sprint this  coming Sunday.

Needless to say I went home and drank a lot of water, ate more food and rested the afternoon and evening away. I ended up taking yesterday off as well. My legs were really sore yesterday. Today they are sore again, achy feel like I have no strength in them. I am tapering this week anyways but really wanted to do a BRICK still. Even if it was a shorter one. Not only has my volume increased as of late but so has the intensity.

The only other thing I did out of the Ordinary was a really deep massage on Friday after work I went to see my MT and spent 90 mins with her working on me. Oh and Fridays are my off days so I did nothing on Friday as well.

Are these signs of over training? Did the massage loosen up some muscles and cause me to loose power and hurt now.

I did have a great day yesterday as the run clinics I helped with did their first race yesterday. I opted to not run and take pictures instead. Glad I did. It was an amazing day to watch all our 5k and 10k people at their first race. We brough 22 people to the race from our town down to the city hosting the race. Lots of smiles all day long.

Chris that sounds like a classic BONK. It probably was mostly related to not enough nutrition/hydration, and very little to do with over training. Overtraining for me shows up as a deep muscle soreness and repeated daily decreases in speed/endurance.

If this is your taper week then use it as such. Assuming you are racing this weekend that missed brick WO is not going to cause you to under-perform come race day. Right now the taper is MORE important than the missed miles. Relax, this is supposed to be fun.

BTW: Good job on building your base.

2011-06-13 8:34 AM
in reply to: #3545749

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
DougRob - 2011-06-13 8:29 AM
Techdiver - 2011-06-13 8:16 AM

Chris that sounds like a classic BONK. It probably was mostly related to not enough nutrition/hydration, and very little to do with over training. Overtraining for me shows up as a deep muscle soreness and repeated daily decreases in speed/endurance.

If this is your taper week then use it as such. Assuming you are racing this weekend that missed brick WO is not going to cause you to under-perform come race day. Right now the taper is MORE important than the missed miles. Relax, this is supposed to be fun.

BTW: Good job on building your base.

Did you drink a sufficient amount of fluid after that 90 minute massage?  If it was a deep tissue there can be a lot of crap that needs to be flushed through the system.  Soreness a few days after a massage can be typical if you're not used to them and she worked you hard.

I don't think it's overtraining either, but I question the bonk.  You said you ate "alot" beforehand, but were light on hydration. Was the meal high fat?  maybe it hadn't completely digested.   I wouldn't think that would cause the systems you're describing though so not totally sure.

2011-06-13 8:51 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Chris said he did NOT eat or drink enough before the ride, He ate a lot at lunch. He was probably already in deficit at that point, and his body was not getting enough from what he just ate. It sounds like if he had waited an hour he might have been fine, but instead he just drove himself deeper into deficit.

2011-06-13 8:53 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
dalessit - 2011-06-13 8:07 AM

Happy Monday!

Summer vacation starts for the kids today. Hoping (praying actually) that the pool repairs are done this week. Amazing how a task that was promised to be done in one day takes more than a week.

2011-06-13 9:49 AM

User image

Champion
marietta

Happy Monday!

OBX on friday for a week!!!!!

2011-06-13 10:39 AM
in reply to: #3545816

User image

Chatham Ontario

DougRob - 2011-06-13 8:51 AM Chris said he did NOT eat or drink enough before the ride, He ate a lot at lunch. He was probably already in deficit at that point, and his body was not getting enough from what he just ate. It sounds like if he had waited an hour he might have been fine, but instead he just drove himself deeper into deficit.

I am not sure that I bonked. I have bonked before and I was good energy wise yesterday.. But deep muscle soreness and what feels like lack of strength. I feel the same way now today. My legs still really hurt.

Now that I look back I drank 500ml on the way home after the massage. But I have not been for one in over a month. And not that deep in a long time.

I believe a combination of things lead to maybe a bit of a bonk, maybe a bit of overtraining with intervals on the bike... Regardless as everyone said.. not much I can do physically to improve this week. Going to take it easy and enjoy celibrating 9 years of being married on Wed and treat my wife for putting up with me through all of this training.

Then on Fathers day I am going out to do my first sprint in memory of my Dad who has been gone for 7 years.

Thanks everyone for the tips the help getting here. The help building my core, getting through my injury and many other things. You are all an inspiration no matter what level we all are. I am going to ROCK THE HELL out of this SPRINT on sunday.

Edited by Techdiver 2011-06-13 10:52 AM
2011-06-13 10:45 AM
in reply to: #3545982

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
fattyfatfat - 2011-06-13 9:49 AM

Happy Monday!

I am so jealous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2011-06-13 10:52 AM
in reply to: #3542683

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
DougRob - 2011-06-10 9:21 AM
swbkrun - 2011-06-10 11:21 AM
TrevorC - 2011-06-10 8:08 AM

anyone want to come for an ~80mile ride tomorrow in the rain?

When did you arrive in Seattle???

Birdy, are you still here? Wink Are you racing this year?

I come and go... most of the time I am just entertained by reading everything.

As for racing.... NADA, ZILCH, ZERO, NOTHING.... Haven't signed up for anything at all.  I still go out and "train" with people that are much more motivated than me, but I am usually bringing up the rear.

RP and I are going to do a 38 mile trail run (unsanctioned) in Sept with around 16000 feet of elevation gain/loss!  Apparently there is some big race in the NW that some SWBKRUN MG'S are going to partake in next April and I need to be ready for that!!!!

2011-06-13 10:58 AM
in reply to: #3546120

User image

Pro
Techdiver - 2011-06-13 8:39 AM

DougRob - 2011-06-13 8:51 AM Chris said he did NOT eat or drink enough before the ride, He ate a lot at lunch. He was probably already in deficit at that point, and his body was not getting enough from what he just ate. It sounds like if he had waited an hour he might have been fine, but instead he just drove himself deeper into deficit.

I am not sure that I bonked. I have bonked before and I was good energy wise yesterday.. But deep muscle soreness and what feels like lack of strength. I feel the same way now today. My legs still really hurt.

Now that I look back I drank 500ml on the way home after the massage. But I have not been for one in over a month. And not that deep in a long time.

I believe a combination of things lead to maybe a bit of a bonk, maybe a bit of overtraining with intervals on the bike... Regardless as everyone said.. not much I can do physically to improve this week. Going to take it easy and enjoy celibrating 9 years of being married on Wed and treat my wife for putting up with me through all of this training.

Then on Fathers day I am going out to do my first sprint in memory of my Dad who has been gone for 7 years.

Thanks everyone for the tips the help getting here. The help building my core, getting through my injury and many other things. You are all an inspiration no matter what level we all are. I am going to ROCK THE HELL out of this SPRINT on sunday.

You are the one putting in the miles.... GREAT JOB

2011-06-13 11:19 AM
in reply to: #3546157

User image

Champion
marietta
swbkrun - 2011-06-13 11:52 AM

As for racing.... NADA, ZILCH, ZERO, NOTHING.... Haven't signed up for anything at all.  I still go out and "train" with people that are much more motivated than me, but I am usually bringing up the rear.

RP and I are going to do a 38 mile trail run (unsanctioned) in Sept with around 16000 feet of elevation gain/loss!  Apparently there is some big race in the NW that some SWBKRUN MG'S are going to partake in next April and I need to be ready for that!!!!

my secret weapon for the big race.  if you try to pass us she'll knock you upside the head with that watch!

2011-06-13 11:52 AM
in reply to: #3546136

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Utah
sdalessio - 2011-06-13 10:45 AM
fattyfatfat - 2011-06-13 9:49 AM

Happy Monday!

I am so jealous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is OBX?  Feeling like I should be jealous too but don't know why.

2011-06-13 12:10 PM
in reply to: #3546224

User image

Pro
fattyfatfat - 2011-06-13 9:19 AM
swbkrun - 2011-06-13 11:52 AM

my secret weapon for the big race.  if you try to pass us she'll knock you upside the head with that watch!

It's all about the "bling!"

Thank you for not sharing the other picture.  I am sure that made me look like a great parent!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  

of 298