BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2014-12-31 12:04 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors - OPEN to all kinds!

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
Originally posted by popsracer

Yep, Boise 70.3.  That was my last HIM and it was soooo cold.  Everyone was freaked about the water temps before the race but after shivering for an hour before the start the low 50 degree water actually felt warm.  I'm going back in June to get my revenge.

HOLY CRAP! How did you do that for 56 miles?!! I've taken the day off to do nothing :D I did my trainerroad for the day and I cleaned my office. OFF to the grocery store! Have a happy (and safe) new years everyone!!

I thought of you as I sit at my desk (the only person in the bldg) finishing my CPE (procrastinate much?)

Edited by rrrunner 2014-12-31 12:08 PM

2014-12-31 12:06 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

I'm so disappointed right now. It's 39* and dropping, windy and rainy. Woke up with such a craving to take the kids out to the mountain for a hike. After being in the car for two days, and away from our sunny home for 10, I wanted to soak up some happiness. 

Yuk! Yeah, it's moving in here too. Supposed to snow tonight in to tomorrow. If the wind isn't bad I'll venture out but I'm thinkin I'll be spending some time at the gym the next couple days.

2014-12-31 12:13 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by rrrunner

I thought of you as I sit at my desk (the only person in the bldg) finishing my CPE (procrastinate much?)

nice!!

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2014-12-31 12:13 PM
2014-12-31 12:41 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Veteran
Dayton

I recently got the WTC TriathlonLive pass for the 2014 season. (I'm such a geek.)  I'm three races in to the women's season, and It's SO COOL. Jorgensen's run is so amazing.  It's also neat to see the story of the race work out.

It's great to watch people race while on a trainer.  It reminds me that the pain is worth it.  It's also easier to hurt while watching other people hurt.

2014-12-31 12:46 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by ponderingfox

I recently got the WTC TriathlonLive pass for the 2014 season. (I'm such a geek.)  I'm three races in to the women's season, and It's SO COOL. Jorgensen's run is so amazing.  It's also neat to see the story of the race work out.

It's great to watch people race while on a trainer.  It reminds me that the pain is worth it.  It's also easier to hurt while watching other people hurt.

We have Universal Sports Network so I get a lot of the races as well. I am usually watching either a tri or a bike race whilst (that one's for you Darren) on the drainer.

2014-12-31 12:49 PM

User image

Master

lol ^^^evilly true

2014-12-31 12:52 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Veteran
Dayton

We have Universal Sports Network so I get a lot of the races as well. I am usually watching either a tri or a bike race whilst (that one's for you Darren) on the drainer.

Is there a place online to get the bike races? Dost thou know?

2014-12-31 12:57 PM

User image

Denver, CO

HOLY CRAP! How did you do that for 56 miles?!! I've taken the day off to do nothing :D I did my trainerroad for the day and I cleaned my office. OFF to the grocery store! Have a happy (and safe) new years everyone!!

Yeah, me too.  The floor is dark and I'm banging around in the file room, moving files to empty out a filing cabinet.  This surely counts as some sort of workout.  I've been at it for almost 3 hours, my back and arms are tired and I'm covered in paper cuts.  Can I put this in my training log as wrestling or something??

2014-12-31 12:59 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Haha. I can't come up with a catchy answer but no, I don't know a resource for that. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

2014-12-31 1:00 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by laffinrock

Yeah, me too.  The floor is dark and I'm banging around in the file room, moving files to empty out a filing cabinet.  This surely counts as some sort of workout.  I've been at it for almost 3 hours, my back and arms are tired and I'm covered in paper cuts.  Can I put this in my training log as wrestling or something??

Sure! But you can't apply it to tomorrow

2014-12-31 1:04 PM

User image

Denver, CO

I'm a geek too.  We *always* pay to watch the TdF.  This year it was on MapMyRide for $35 and definitely worth it.  I'm always disappointed that I can't watch the Giro, Pro Challenge or Vuelta and would happily pay to see those.  I'd love to see some cyclocross and the Spring 1-day classics too.  We don't have cable, but sometimes contemplate it because of all the "other" sports (e.g. non-college or NFL football/basketball/MLB) we miss out on.

2014-12-31 1:05 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

Originally posted by Jet Black Well, I've decided to do the half IM plan from this here site, starting next Monday. It actually works out perfect for my April 26th race date! Today I'm going to do an easy 7 mile run. Ok, something I need help with. I just got a bike on Sunday (2012 Fuji Aloha), just been doing spin classes up to this point. Other than one water bottle cage, it came with no accessories. I need to get a helmet obviously, but does anybody have a good list of essentials that I should buy for the bike? Thanks!

If you are talking about the free HIM plan, it is a very well laid out plan and will prepare you well.  There are a few things in it that are kind of odd in my opinion though.  First time through I followed it to the letter but in subsequent years I've loaded it into a spreadsheet and modified certain workouts and rearranged some of the workouts within the week while keeping the overall workload true to the plan.  There used to be a pretty active thread each year for folks following the plan that was very helpful.  In fact, I think a few of the folks here have joined in that fun.  Which race are you doing?

Thanks. Galveston, TX
2014-12-31 1:08 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Sure! But you can't apply it to tomorrow

Dang!!  That's okay though.  Tomorrow is another 15-min. test run to see if my knee is any better.  I'm predicting it's not since it's throbbing today from the aqua-jogging yesterday.  Grrrrrrr (or "ferret" as my phone would correct that to).  Anyway, since my goal is only 10 min./day, I've got tomorrow covered.

2014-12-31 1:09 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Katy, Texas
Just did 7 miles in 1:06:44 (9'31" pace - just did what felt good, was planning on 10/mi pace). These long runs are pretty fun at this point because everyone is the farthest I've ever run before!
2014-12-31 1:11 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I'm a geek too.  We *always* pay to watch the TdF.  This year it was on MapMyRide for $35 and definitely worth it.  I'm always disappointed that I can't watch the Giro, Pro Challenge or Vuelta and would happily pay to see those.  I'd love to see some cyclocross and the Spring 1-day classics too.  We don't have cable, but sometimes contemplate it because of all the "other" sports (e.g. non-college or NFL football/basketball/MLB) we miss out on.

When we switched from cable to Dish one of the main reasons was so that we could get USN! We see all of the major tours and most of the "minor" tours as well as single day bike races. We get a bunch of the major marathons, MTB races, ITU and WTC races and, of course, the junior olympics and the Commonwealth games (net ball anyone?)

User image

Pennsylvania

That's a good idea!  My brain seems to falter on remembering which station Universal is on for Dish, I think I need to get it tattooed on my hand or something.

Mary - don't get too many bruises and papercuts!

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by Jet Black

Originally posted by Jet Black Well, I've decided to do the half IM plan from this here site, starting next Monday. It actually works out perfect for my April 26th race date! Today I'm going to do an easy 7 mile run. Ok, something I need help with. I just got a bike on Sunday (2012 Fuji Aloha), just been doing spin classes up to this point. Other than one water bottle cage, it came with no accessories. I need to get a helmet obviously, but does anybody have a good list of essentials that I should buy for the bike? Thanks!

If you are talking about the free HIM plan, it is a very well laid out plan and will prepare you well.  There are a few things in it that are kind of odd in my opinion though.  First time through I followed it to the letter but in subsequent years I've loaded it into a spreadsheet and modified certain workouts and rearranged some of the workouts within the week while keeping the overall workload true to the plan.  There used to be a pretty active thread each year for folks following the plan that was very helpful.  In fact, I think a few of the folks here have joined in that fun.  Which race are you doing?

Thanks. Galveston, TX

This is kinda ugly but here is how I've modified the plan for the first four weeks to give you some food for thought. 

week 1 
Mondayswimwu: 300, main 4 x 400
 run5 miles @ 9:00 pace RPE 2
Tuesdaybike60 minutes

Wednesdayrun3 mile tempo @7:20 pace
 swimwu: 400, main: 10 x 100 EBBH, cd: 2 x 100, 1600 Total
Thursdayrun7 mile @9:00 pace

Fridayswimwu: 300, main 6 x 200, cd: 200
 bike60 min continuous low effort
Saturdayrun10 miles @9:00 pace

Sundaybike75 minutes

week 2 
Mondayswimwu: 300, main 4 x 400
 run5 miles @ 8:50 pace RPE 2
Tuesdaybike60 minutes

swimwu: 400, main: 10 x 100 EBBH, cd: 2 x 100, 1600 Total
Thursdayrun8 mile @9:00 pace

Fridayswimwu: 300, main 6 x 200, cd: 200
 bike60 min continuous low effort
Saturdayrun11 miles @9:00 pace

Sundaybike75 minutes

week 3 
Mondayrun5 miles @8:50 pace
 swimmain 4 x 500
Tuesdaybike60 minutes

swimwu: 300, main 5 x 50, 2 x 400, cd: 200
Thursdayrun8 miles @9:00 pace

Fridayswimwu: 300, main 20 x 50, cd: 200
 bike45 min continuous low effort
Saturdayrun12 miles @9:00 pace

Sundaybike90 minutes

week 4 
Mondayrun5 miles @8:50 pace
 swimwu: 300, main 1500
Tuesdaybike60 minutes

swimwu: 300, main 3 x 400, cd: 200
Thursdayrun8 miles @9:00 pace

Fridayswimwu: 300, main 10 x 100, cd: 200
 bike45 min continuous low effort
Saturdayrun13 miles @9:00 pace

Sundaybike90 minutes

Edited by popsracer 2014-12-31 1:15 PM
2014-12-31 1:14 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by glfprncs Since the sun has finally emerged from what seemed to have been days upon days of eternal grey blah, I'm thinking it may be a great day to take my girl, Frieda Marie Felt, for her first spin (a short one) since October. Also, since I didn't run yesterday, and only have to run 3-4 miles today, may as well make it a brick, right? She's been getting a little antsy as she was pretty neglected in 2014 compared to 2013. She's a 2010 model, so spent a couple years hanging out in the bike shop waiting for me to come along. She's made me cry a couple time, but I still love her.

Felt Mafia!

2014-12-31 1:14 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Jet Black Just did 7 miles in 1:06:44 (9'31" pace - just did what felt good, was planning on 10/mi pace). These long runs are pretty fun at this point because everyone is the farthest I've ever run before!

Wow that's awesome!

2014-12-31 1:15 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Thanks. Galveston, TX

JJ has done Galveston. He'll be able to answer your race specific questions.

2014-12-31 1:15 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Pedals are a must.

2014-12-31 1:16 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by melbo55

That's a good idea!  My brain seems to falter on remembering which station Universal is on for Dish, I think I need to get it tattooed on my hand or something.

Mary - don't get too many bruises and papercuts!

I have it set to record anything S/B/R related

2014-12-31 1:19 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by jmkizer

Pedals are a must.

Might as well add a bell and streamers!

2014-12-31 1:20 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

When we switched from cable to Dish one of the main reasons was so that we could get USN! We see all of the major tours and most of the "minor" tours as well as single day bike races. We get a bunch of the major marathons, MTB races, ITU and WTC races and, of course, the junior olympics and the Commonwealth games (net ball anyone?)

That would so cool to get all that.  All I got access to is netflix (been watching Revolution series) and youtube (old ITU, old Kona IM's but lots of old European cyclocross races which are amazing.)

2014-12-31 1:20 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I would suggest a bike computer and a bento box. You may also need additional bottle holder(s) for those long rides.

Forgot to mention that my Forerunner 920 is scheduled to be delivered today. If I get the cadence/speed accessory for that, will that be good enough?

The Forerunner 920XT should be fine for the bike as long as you don't mind keeping it on your wrist.  I have a 310XT with the quick release and I would not recommend the quick release strap because, while it makes it better for riding, it makes it worse for running.  The 500 is nice if you want a dedicated bike computer.

The bento box is good for both nutrition and phone.  I have a saddle bag with CO2, tube, etc..  I flashing light for back (and maybe one for the front -- I like the Lezyne Zento for the front and Planet Bike Superflash for the back but YMMV).  In addition to the water bottle cage, you'll probably want some sort of between the bars hydration setup -- whether it's a bottle, an aerodrink or whatever.

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 55372 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.