BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2014-05-28 3:33 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors: We Will Stalk You (Open)

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by rrrunner

DS2 likes the Star Wars Half idea...

Speaking of DS2, the pix from BB are in and I just love two of them that they took. Problem? They're $25 a piece or $60 for all the pix (the others aren't so great)

ETA: guess I can't show you the proofs.  How about this

I really like the pics of you and DS2, very nice!

By the way, oh twin separated at birth, are those Tifosi sunglasses?  They look an awful lot like the pair I wear for biking and racing...

They sure are

2014-05-28 3:58 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Veteran
Cleveland, Tennessee
Originally posted by Richardsdrr

Originally posted by jbwills

Quick post, more later. Just finished my shadow HM. Set a PR today of 1:50:31 with a pace of 8:26 PPM. I am very pleased, very hungry, and very tired. Going to eat "dinner" (actually breakfast food) and go to bed for a few hours.

Gotta love PR's, I think you're gonna reach your goals you set in no time. You still thinking of doing the Ultra?

I am still in a debate for a 50 Miler in December. Leaning towards doing it, just hacing trouble making the commitment.
2014-05-28 4:22 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Monica, did you get the new saddle???

Nope - although I REALLY want one, I just don't think it will go well on my red, silver & white bike.  If there was a white version, or a black version, I'd be allllll over it!  As it is, I think I need a second job to keep up with my Betty habit...   

I like my ISM, so I was just wondering.

I've already got the ISM Road saddle on George - which I love - and sadly my argument to Tony that I'll need a new bike to go with the new saddle somehow didn't work out so well for me...   

Yeah, I see the fallicy in that argument. Did you also mention a place to set up the new bike on a new trainer in a new room in a new house in a new town?

Ideally you're supposed to find the saddle and bar set first and then work a bike into this according to your fit. So, now that you have the saddle sorted out ...

Exactly!!  Clearly this is yet another unbeatable argument for why I NEED a new bike!  NEED!!!!  

2014-05-28 4:31 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Coastal Carolina
You got space for the 5-0? Got cleared by the Doctor, not Capaldi the medical one, to return after mid-August would love to get back with the manatees. It's been a wild 18 months guys.

Name: Kirk
Story: Got picked up by the Triathlon bug a few years ago. Did several sprints and Olys and a relay HIM. Thought I was ready for the move to long course but between some job issues and health issues I got rocked by the 2013 Bone Island HIM, could barely walk for blisters on my feet and during my wife and I's trip down there realized we needed to get some things moving in the right direction. I'm an all or nothing guy so I went from working 40-50 hours a week to closer to 80 a week. Triathlon didn't have space in my schedule in the way I wanted it to so I dropped it to focus on what we needed to do (I realize that was a mistake but live and learn). Worked out professionally at least I've been promoted to Sergeant and head the entertainment district in Charleston SC (read I deal with ALL the drunks) Tried to get back in last October but discovered my bike had a cracked frame ... No worries FELT upgraded me to a 2013 B2 from a 2012 B16, I know right? At that point we had gotten ourselves where we needed to be and had enough for my facial surgery early this year. That Sucked. Capital S. However I was cleared officially last week to be able to wear a helmet and glasses/goggles again. I've signed up for the Kiawah Olympic Triathlon in September with the goal of at least matching my best time.

Family: The Nurse and I have our pup Slammer that the manatees know and a new addition of Stella who is a year old. Plus Badger (aka El Diablo to my friends who will not watch him when we go out of town anymore) the cat.

Current Training: My heart rate gets elevated regularly when the Chief makes his way to the bar district on Saturday nights does that count? I've been off of bike patrol for a year I do a lot of walking in my new role but no specific training. I want to get back into it; I know I'm starting at ground zero but I do like a challenge.

Races: I'm not cleared for contact sports, which includes the rugby scrum at race starts until mid August so I'm signed up for a race I've done 2 times before the Kiawah Triathlon in September. It's under new management and a different course but it's in a fantastic spot.

Body Comp: I'd like to get back to where I was physically in summer of 2012
2014-05-28 4:33 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by melbo55

DS2 likes the Star Wars Half idea...

Speaking of DS2, the pix from BB are in and I just love two of them that they took. Problem? They're $25 a piece or $60 for all the pix (the others aren't so great)

ETA: guess I can't show you the proofs.  How about this

I really like the pics of you and DS2, very nice!

By the way, oh twin separated at birth, are those Tifosi sunglasses?  They look an awful lot like the pair I wear for biking and racing...

They sure are

Do we need further proof of our twinness?  I think not.

2014-05-28 4:36 PM
in reply to: Tripopo

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Tripopo You got space for the 5-0? Got cleared by the Doctor, not Capaldi the medical one, to return after mid-August would love to get back with the manatees. It's been a wild 18 months guys. Name: Kirk Story: Got picked up by the Triathlon bug a few years ago. Did several sprints and Olys and a relay HIM. Thought I was ready for the move to long course but between some job issues and health issues I got rocked by the 2013 Bone Island HIM, could barely walk for blisters on my feet and during my wife and I's trip down there realized we needed to get some things moving in the right direction. I'm an all or nothing guy so I went from working 40-50 hours a week to closer to 80 a week. Triathlon didn't have space in my schedule in the way I wanted it to so I dropped it to focus on what we needed to do (I realize that was a mistake but live and learn). Worked out professionally at least I've been promoted to Sergeant and head the entertainment district in Charleston SC (read I deal with ALL the drunks) Tried to get back in last October but discovered my bike had a cracked frame ... No worries FELT upgraded me to a 2013 B2 from a 2012 B16, I know right? At that point we had gotten ourselves where we needed to be and had enough for my facial surgery early this year. That Sucked. Capital S. However I was cleared officially last week to be able to wear a helmet and glasses/goggles again. I've signed up for the Kiawah Olympic Triathlon in September with the goal of at least matching my best time. Family: The Nurse and I have our pup Slammer that the manatees know and a new addition of Stella who is a year old. Plus Badger (aka El Diablo to my friends who will not watch him when we go out of town anymore) the cat. Current Training: My heart rate gets elevated regularly when the Chief makes his way to the bar district on Saturday nights does that count? I've been off of bike patrol for a year I do a lot of walking in my new role but no specific training. I want to get back into it; I know I'm starting at ground zero but I do like a challenge. Races: I'm not cleared for contact sports, which includes the rugby scrum at race starts until mid August so I'm signed up for a race I've done 2 times before the Kiawah Triathlon in September. It's under new management and a different course but it's in a fantastic spot. Body Comp: I'd like to get back to where I was physically in summer of 2012

Welcome back!

2014-05-28 4:37 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Tripopo You got space for the 5-0? Got cleared by the Doctor, not Capaldi the medical one, to return after mid-August would love to get back with the manatees. It's been a wild 18 months guys. Name: Kirk Story: Got picked up by the Triathlon bug a few years ago. Did several sprints and Olys and a relay HIM. Thought I was ready for the move to long course but between some job issues and health issues I got rocked by the 2013 Bone Island HIM, could barely walk for blisters on my feet and during my wife and I's trip down there realized we needed to get some things moving in the right direction. I'm an all or nothing guy so I went from working 40-50 hours a week to closer to 80 a week. Triathlon didn't have space in my schedule in the way I wanted it to so I dropped it to focus on what we needed to do (I realize that was a mistake but live and learn). Worked out professionally at least I've been promoted to Sergeant and head the entertainment district in Charleston SC (read I deal with ALL the drunks) Tried to get back in last October but discovered my bike had a cracked frame ... No worries FELT upgraded me to a 2013 B2 from a 2012 B16, I know right? At that point we had gotten ourselves where we needed to be and had enough for my facial surgery early this year. That Sucked. Capital S. However I was cleared officially last week to be able to wear a helmet and glasses/goggles again. I've signed up for the Kiawah Olympic Triathlon in September with the goal of at least matching my best time. Family: The Nurse and I have our pup Slammer that the manatees know and a new addition of Stella who is a year old. Plus Badger (aka El Diablo to my friends who will not watch him when we go out of town anymore) the cat. Current Training: My heart rate gets elevated regularly when the Chief makes his way to the bar district on Saturday nights does that count? I've been off of bike patrol for a year I do a lot of walking in my new role but no specific training. I want to get back into it; I know I'm starting at ground zero but I do like a challenge. Races: I'm not cleared for contact sports, which includes the rugby scrum at race starts until mid August so I'm signed up for a race I've done 2 times before the Kiawah Triathlon in September. It's under new management and a different course but it's in a fantastic spot. Body Comp: I'd like to get back to where I was physically in summer of 2012

Welcome back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2014-05-28 4:39 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

OMG now that's just too funny!

2014-05-28 6:01 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Veteran
Cleveland, Tennessee
Training schedule question and advise. I am starting to look at B2B HIM specific training and possibly Lookout Mtn 50-miler. B2B will be my A race for the year. My current training schedule is:

Monday AM: 3.5 mile run tempo PM: Core/Dryland Swim
Tuesday AM: 3.5 miles run easy PM: bike 45-60 min Sufferfest video
Wednesday AM: 7 mile MSD run PM: Leg/Dryland Swim
Thursday AM: 3.5 miles run easy PM: bike 60-90 min Sufferfest video
Friday AM: 3.5 mile 60/120 speed run workout PM: Core/Dryland Swim
Saturday AM: LSD 10.5 miles run PM: bike 45-60 min Sufferfest video

Most of my runs are based off of a loop here. It is 3.5 miles around and I prefer to get the run in before the heat starts building. I am doing some shoulder stability and leg stability workouts after a few runs in the morning, but not on a super specific schedule. I know it is a heavy run schedule but there is only so much exercise bike I can take, I would love to have my bike and a drainer here. I am planning to slowly increase my bike time and move my long bike to my Thursday morning as I get over 90 mins, as long as I am still on nights here.

Any suggestions or improvements anyone sees?
2014-05-28 6:06 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Welcome back Kirk and congratulations on the promotion!!

2014-05-28 6:10 PM
in reply to: jbwills

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by jbwills
Originally posted by Richardsdrr
Originally posted by jbwills Quick post, more later. Just finished my shadow HM. Set a PR today of 1:50:31 with a pace of 8:26 PPM. I am very pleased, very hungry, and very tired. Going to eat "dinner" (actually breakfast food) and go to bed for a few hours.
Gotta love PR's, I think you're gonna reach your goals you set in no time. You still thinking of doing the Ultra?
I am still in a debate for a 50 Miler in December. Leaning towards doing it, just having trouble making the commitment.

DOOOO EEEEET!!!

2014-05-28 9:49 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by ponderingfox

Confession time!

I gave Tom a really hard time about double booking himself.  I said something about using a newfangled device called a calendar

However....

While I have not double booked myself, I did sign up for an open water swim.  It's in Wrightsville Beach which is far but not really a problem.  I mean, I've done 10ks in that area before and round tripped it and I've done day trips to the beach.  It's all good, right?  Then I realized that to make the swim start and check in and stuff I'd need to leave the house at like 4am. 

Yeah, that's what I would have had to do to make my race, too (3 am, actually, but still). 

Was not going to happen after staying up to midnight helping to tear down from a wedding.

Why couldn't you just stay up then?

Thank you Ben!

You people.

2014-05-28 10:52 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Veteran
Dayton

I put on my first wet suit for the first time tonight (at masters), and hey, guess what! I float!

And everyone else is like, duh.

2014-05-28 11:09 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Denver, CO

I put on my first wet suit for the first time tonight (at masters), and hey, guess what! I float!

And everyone else is like, duh.

Sounds like you're making all kinds of amazing discoveries in the pool lately:  weird/awkward drills, floating with a wet suit....  What'll be next?! 

2014-05-28 11:11 PM
in reply to: #4996915

User image

Master
Hopefully not a summertime poo (see TT)!!!
2014-05-29 1:27 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Confession time!

I gave Tom a really hard time about double booking himself.  I said something about using a newfangled device called a calendar

However....

While I have not double booked myself, I did sign up for an open water swim.  It's in Wrightsville Beach which is far but not really a problem.  I mean, I've done 10ks in that area before and round tripped it and I've done day trips to the beach.  It's all good, right?  Then I realized that to make the swim start and check in and stuff I'd need to leave the house at like 4am. 

Yeah, that's what I would have had to do to make my race, too (3 am, actually, but still). 

Was not going to happen after staying up to midnight helping to tear down from a wedding.

Oh, I'm going!  It's just that it was a scheduling mishap that I thought that I should share.

P.S.  The wedding teardown would have made a nice warm up!

I dunno, this worked really well for Kingsley and I ...

2014-05-29 6:18 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by amd723

Welcome back Kirk and congratulations on the promotion!!

Yes, welcome indeed!! And congrats as well.

2014-05-29 6:36 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Elite
I am still here - I try and check in but it's tough!

What have I got going on - lots of work for IM Talk and for Macca - all for no pay but i love to do it. I also do a fair amount of work for Vinnie Tortorich - check out his podcasts if you like fun explicit podcasts with some good nutrition advice from great renowned docs.

I'm also loving Tawnee Prazak on Endurance Planet.

It's a big weekend of 70.3's around the world as well as the World ITU in London - lots of online stalking for me which then means researching those that podium and reporting on all of this to Macca and then doing a wrap up for IMTalk for Monday!

Macca himself is racing in Japan this weekend.

Next week is Cairns - home of my one and only HIM. Can't wait to go back again and stalk! I've got a VIP media pass so it will be awesome. Going to hang out with Belinda and Justin Granger two of the nicest people in triathlon. My buddy Jason McNamara is racing the full - Yanti I'll say hi!

Meeting up with nearly all of the guys who were at Macca's Phuket camp in November.

So my training. Finally my head cold is gone. Today I did another MAF run. For MAF staying in that zone is amazing - progress is so tangible. Today my pace improved again. Love it.

Haven't swum this week. I'm having my hair straightened Satruday so that's four days off all training and tying back of hair!

Love ya guys!
2014-05-29 7:56 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Welcome back Kirk!

2014-05-29 8:00 AM
in reply to: jbwills

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by jbwills Training schedule question and advise. I am starting to look at B2B HIM specific training and possibly Lookout Mtn 50-miler. B2B will be my A race for the year. My current training schedule is: Monday AM: 3.5 mile run tempo PM: Core/Dryland Swim Tuesday AM: 3.5 miles run easy PM: bike 45-60 min Sufferfest video Wednesday AM: 7 mile MSD run PM: Leg/Dryland Swim Thursday AM: 3.5 miles run easy PM: bike 60-90 min Sufferfest video Friday AM: 3.5 mile 60/120 speed run workout PM: Core/Dryland Swim Saturday AM: LSD 10.5 miles run PM: bike 45-60 min Sufferfest video Most of my runs are based off of a loop here. It is 3.5 miles around and I prefer to get the run in before the heat starts building. I am doing some shoulder stability and leg stability workouts after a few runs in the morning, but not on a super specific schedule. I know it is a heavy run schedule but there is only so much exercise bike I can take, I would love to have my bike and a drainer here. I am planning to slowly increase my bike time and move my long bike to my Thursday morning as I get over 90 mins, as long as I am still on nights here. Any suggestions or improvements anyone sees?

I understand about the exercise bike.  I really do.  But... more bike. 

Remind me, when are you expecting to be back in TN?  September?

2014-05-29 8:03 AM
in reply to: jobaxas

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by jobaxas I am still here - I try and check in but it's tough! What have I got going on - lots of work for IM Talk and for Macca - all for no pay but i love to do it. I also do a fair amount of work for Vinnie Tortorich - check out his podcasts if you like fun explicit podcasts with some good nutrition advice from great renowned docs. I'm also loving Tawnee Prazak on Endurance Planet. It's a big weekend of 70.3's around the world as well as the World ITU in London - lots of online stalking for me which then means researching those that podium and reporting on all of this to Macca and then doing a wrap up for IMTalk for Monday! Macca himself is racing in Japan this weekend. Next week is Cairns - home of my one and only HIM. Can't wait to go back again and stalk! I've got a VIP media pass so it will be awesome. Going to hang out with Belinda and Justin Granger two of the nicest people in triathlon. My buddy Jason McNamara is racing the full - Yanti I'll say hi! Meeting up with nearly all of the guys who were at Macca's Phuket camp in November. So my training. Finally my head cold is gone. Today I did another MAF run. For MAF staying in that zone is amazing - progress is so tangible. Today my pace improved again. Love it. Haven't swum this week. I'm having my hair straightened Satruday so that's four days off all training and tying back of hair! Love ya guys!

This all sounds great Jo!  So much fun!  VIP media pass!  Woo hoo!  Super stalker!

Great news on the run improvements!  It's so motivating when you see or feel an improvement! 

2014-05-29 8:09 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Could someone please remind me how long we keep this mentor group?  Do we get to keep this one all the way until December?

2014-05-29 8:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleveland, Tennessee

Originally posted by jbwills Training schedule question and advise. I am starting to look at B2B HIM specific training and possibly Lookout Mtn 50-miler. B2B will be my A race for the year. My current training schedule is: Monday AM: 3.5 mile run tempo PM: Core/Dryland Swim Tuesday AM: 3.5 miles run easy PM: bike 45-60 min Sufferfest video Wednesday AM: 7 mile MSD run PM: Leg/Dryland Swim Thursday AM: 3.5 miles run easy PM: bike 60-90 min Sufferfest video Friday AM: 3.5 mile 60/120 speed run workout PM: Core/Dryland Swim Saturday AM: LSD 10.5 miles run PM: bike 45-60 min Sufferfest video Most of my runs are based off of a loop here. It is 3.5 miles around and I prefer to get the run in before the heat starts building. I am doing some shoulder stability and leg stability workouts after a few runs in the morning, but not on a super specific schedule. I know it is a heavy run schedule but there is only so much exercise bike I can take, I would love to have my bike and a drainer here. I am planning to slowly increase my bike time and move my long bike to my Thursday morning as I get over 90 mins, as long as I am still on nights here. Any suggestions or improvements anyone sees?

Will be back in TN sometime around mid September. Not exactly sure when, but hopefully on my way by my birthday on Sept 12. I will know more as I get closer. I should have a solid 4 weeks stateside before B2B.

I was also thinking more bike, but wanted more opinions.
2014-05-29 8:13 AM

User image

Master
Orlando
I've had a full day already manatees! Before 9 I had already run 6 miles, walked Gunnar a mile, gotten powdered and puffed for work, driven to the courthouse, saw 2 judges on 4 different cases, and handled a couple of office emergencies! I'm heading for SBux now!!
2014-05-29 8:17 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I threw it into a chart and got this: 

RunSwimBike
Mon3.5Cords 
Tues3.5 60
Wed7Cords 
Thurs3.5 90
Fri3.5Cords 
Sat10.5 60

That seems run heavy, but given where you are in the world, I understand completely. And if the Ultra has more appeal, then more running is a good thing. However, I'm with Janyne on this, maybe swap Monday's run for a ride. Or Tues Run becomes a swim and and Mon Swim becomes a bike.

And thank you very much for being where you are and doing what you do.

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.
date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.