BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-06-10 10:43 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by rymac

Did the Long Course National Championships on Sunday in Grand Rapids.  Had a pretty solid race.

Swim: 33 - went well although it was pretty rough (i.e. slap fest) for the first 500 yards.

Bike: 2:26 (218W - VI: 1.03 - 1100 feet of elevation - pretty flat)

Run: 1:38 (7:30s hoping to be around 7:00 pace)

Total: 4:42

The run was more of a shuffle.  I cannot remember the last time I ran more than 20 miles in a week - late 2013 maybe.  Everything has been so swim/bike focused which obviously paid off.  The next 8 weeks will be focused on bringing my run back up and putting it all together for Steelhead and hopefully 4:30-4:35 could be in the cards.

Qualified for Sweden with 11th AG but not going.

Also, Matt put up a 4:48 I believe which is very solid as well and also qualified.

Nice job Ryan! Don't worry about the run because you still managed to beat the old guy!

Ahem…  Too true.  

Swim: 31:36.  Course might have been a bit long, and definitely a scrum at the start (lots of fasties). Lost the first feet I was following about 2/3 through (too fast) but picked up another pair within a hundred meters.  Happy with the swim, for sure.

Bike:  2:29:33.  PR.  22.5mph, 206AP, 210WAP, 143 bpm (on target).  Might have burnt a match or two to stay legal (although no one else seemed bothered by staying legal - looked like the TdF - I just can't race a tri like that).

Run:  1:43:15.  HIM PR.  Last 4 miles my pace dropped by a minute/mile (I think more from April being a bad month with injury and depth of fitness than the matches burnt biking, but who knows). 

Total:  4:48:58.  PR (helps that this was only my second, I suppose!)

Placed me 27th in AG, 116 overall.  Last year, that time would have been four seconds off the podium (although I maintain I had 4 seconds worth of kick left in me, if it came to that!).  This year a lot of fast old dudes came out (in addition to drawing from all over the midwest, there were people from as far as Georgia and all points in between).  Was very cool to race with those guys, but alas I did not qualify for Sweden.  Nonetheless, a great day of racing and a twelve and a half minute PR for me!  Couldn't be much happier about it.  

Talked with some great folks in the pen at the finish.  Super nice people at this one - I think I need to race outside the NE more often!

And Ryan is just too d@mn fast.  

Matt

Wow Matt.  I cannot believe a 4:48 did not get you in there.  I agree it was a very competitive field.  The race has really grown - this is only the 4th year of the event and the RD's are very good.

I only saw 1 draft pack that came through me about 45 miles in but otherwise pretty clean.  Although I was off in the first wave and riding pretty well.  For the most part I was alone until we met up with the Olympic folks for the last 7 miles.

Wish we could have met up - great race and congrats on the PR.

2014-06-10 12:39 PM
in reply to: rymac

User image

Awesome to see more great results from the weekend.  Wow...summer is just getting started.

2014-06-10 1:54 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Jason N

Awesome to see more great results from the weekend.  Wow...summer is just getting started.

Agreed, great results everyone!

2014-06-10 6:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Did the Long Course National Championships on Sunday in Grand Rapids.  Had a pretty solid race.

Swim: 33 - went well although it was pretty rough (i.e. slap fest) for the first 500 yards.

The run was more of a shuffle.  I cannot remember the last time I ran more than 20 miles in a week - late 2013 maybe.  Everything has been so swim/bike focused which obviously paid off.  The next 8 weeks will be focused on bringing my run back up and putting it all together for Steelhead and hopefully 4:30-4:35 could be in the cards.

Also, Matt put up a 4:48 I believe which is very solid as well and also qualified.

Nice job Ryan! Don't worry about the run because you still managed to beat the old guy!

Ahem…  Too true.  

Swim: 31:36.  Course might have been a bit long, and definitely a scrum at the start (lots of fasties). Lost the first feet I was following about 2/3 through (too fast) but picked up another pair within a hundred meters.  Happy with the swim, for sure.

Bike:  2:29:33.  PR.  22.5mph, 206AP, 210WAP, 143 bpm (on target).  Might have burnt a match or two to stay legal (although no one else seemed bothered by staying legal - looked like the TdF - I just can't race a tri like that).

Run:  1:43:15.  HIM PR.  Last 4 miles my pace dropped by a minute/mile (I think more from April being a bad month with injury and depth of fitness than the matches burnt biking, but who knows). 

Placed me 27th in AG, 116 overall.  Last year, that time would have been four seconds off the podium (although I maintain I had 4 seconds worth of kick left in me, if it came to that!).  This year a lot of fast old dudes came out (in addition to drawing from all over the midwest, there were people from as far as Georgia and all points in between).  Was very cool to race with those guys, but alas I did not qualify for Sweden.  Nonetheless, a great day of racing and a twelve and a half minute PR for me!  Couldn't be much happier about it.  

Talked with some great folks in the pen at the finish.  Super nice people at this one - I think I need to race outside the NE more often!

Matt

Wow Matt.  I cannot believe a 4:48 did not get you in there.  I agree it was a very competitive field.  The race has really grown - this is only the 4th year of the event and the RD's are very good.

I only saw 1 draft pack that came through me about 45 miles in but otherwise pretty clean.  Although I was off in the first wave and riding pretty well.  For the most part I was alone until we met up with the Olympic folks for the last 7 miles.

Thanks Ryan!

Interestingly (well, to me at least), I just got an email from USAT indicating that I'm on the roll-down list.  So, at least a couple of the guys ahead of me must have received penalties (not listed on the results page, although I did see a few on the paper print out at the race - just don't remember how many or how big) or been DQ'd.

I will say that while a 4:48 is, for me, a fantastic result (and one with which I am VERY happy - especially given the couple setbacks from training unsmartly and ending up with some annoying injuries), it's kind of a meh result in my AG.  As in, I'm not surprised it didn't qualify.  The winner of 45-49 was 4th overall.  Cra cra.

I'll posit that this wonderful midlife crisis has afflicted many people, and further that around this AG (give or take one or two), people start to have more time and means.  Further still, I think this allows at least a sub-group of these folks to get closer to their potential than they were able to at earlier ages (I know I am faster now - believe it or not - than I was when I was younger and "better" - and only because I've been able to make more time for it the last couple of years as the kids get older).  

The fastest 30 y.o. is still faster than the fastest 45 y.o.  But in AG competition, which is relative to a small portion of the overall field, there are more 45 y.o.'s that are able to approach their potential than 30 y.o.'s, I think.

Just my supposition, of course.  I mean this all only as what I find an interesting observation and NOT AT ALL to comment on other AG results (as I said, the fast younger folks are faster.  Period.).  All it really means is that I have to work harder than I have been to keep up with the fast old guys!    Thank goodness I don't have to keep up the younger ones that are serious about it (like Ryan).  

Matt

2014-06-10 10:28 PM

Master
Northern IL

Here's a first, actually swam better on some later 100's swimming vs some earlier 100's pulling. Tighter interval too.

2014-06-11 7:44 AM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Ahem…  Too true.  

Matt

Thanks Ryan!

Interestingly (well, to me at least), I just got an email from USAT indicating that I'm on the roll-down list.  So, at least a couple of the guys ahead of me must have received penalties (not listed on the results page, although I did see a few on the paper print out at the race - just don't remember how many or how big) or been DQ'd.

I will say that while a 4:48 is, for me, a fantastic result (and one with which I am VERY happy - especially given the couple setbacks from training unsmartly and ending up with some annoying injuries), it's kind of a meh result in my AG.  As in, I'm not surprised it didn't qualify.  The winner of 45-49 was 4th overall.  Cra cra.

I'll posit that this wonderful midlife crisis has afflicted many people, and further that around this AG (give or take one or two), people start to have more time and means.  Further still, I think this allows at least a sub-group of these folks to get closer to their potential than they were able to at earlier ages (I know I am faster now - believe it or not - than I was when I was younger and "better" - and only because I've been able to make more time for it the last couple of years as the kids get older).  

The fastest 30 y.o. is still faster than the fastest 45 y.o.  But in AG competition, which is relative to a small portion of the overall field, there are more 45 y.o.'s that are able to approach their potential than 30 y.o.'s, I think.

Just my supposition, of course.  I mean this all only as what I find an interesting observation and NOT AT ALL to comment on other AG results (as I said, the fast younger folks are faster.  Period.).  All it really means is that I have to work harder than I have been to keep up with the fast old guys!    Thank goodness I don't have to keep up the younger ones that are serious about it (like Ryan).  

Matt

I would agree with that.  Frankly, I wish I had more time to devote to the sport but with a 1 & 3 year old its not possible.  Not to mention that I get every sickness they bring home from daycare.

2014-06-11 8:08 AM

Master
Northern IL

Took more of a look at the results for that race and saw a few things. One is that the ag size kept increasing from 30-34 up to 45-49, each one bigger than the last. Thinking a few things were in play. People that age have older kids, more income (etc) and are more able to travel. This race was a qualifier for Worlds and USAT races seem to be getting some more attention, drawing more people to the race. Could be ones wanting to go to worlds next year as well. There seems to be quite a few guys near Matt's ability as well, as in 4:35 to 5:00 or so. A few minutes difference in time can jump a number of places. That time in my age group (35-39) would have qualified outright. Although winning would have been a different story with Stubleski going 3:56.

2014-06-11 5:22 PM
in reply to: brigby1

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-06-11 11:39 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Master
, California

Originally posted by Fred D Stubleski is essentially a pro racing amateur. He's incredibly fast, and amazingly new to the sport. His times would have got him a pro card at many prior races. Truthfully the top amateurs at kona all fit this description I'm sure. Either way no knock on him as I'd likely do the same thing if I were him. Had a good ride today, but I'm remembering finally how hard ironman training can be...

You had an excellent ride, considering what you did previously!

I wish I could get a longer ride on the weekdays but 2 hours is about my limit with my current job.

2014-06-12 7:52 AM
in reply to: spudone

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by spudone

Originally posted by Fred D Stubleski is essentially a pro racing amateur. He's incredibly fast, and amazingly new to the sport. His times would have got him a pro card at many prior races. Truthfully the top amateurs at kona all fit this description I'm sure. Either way no knock on him as I'd likely do the same thing if I were him. Had a good ride today, but I'm remembering finally how hard ironman training can be...

You had an excellent ride, considering what you did previously!

I wish I could get a longer ride on the weekdays but 2 hours is about my limit with my current job.

That was a good ride! Also wish I could get out more in the week for that on occasion.

Yeah, I've seen Stubleski's name come up before and think he has the races to take a pro card somewhere, but just hasn't done it. I tend to not separate out guys like this as others may as there isn't really something magical about becoming pro. They're just really fast. Sometimes I may be more inclined to do a race if the local pros might be there. There isn't necessarily that much of a difference between them. The top amateurs at Kona do fit this description. Some of them do have their pro cards and actually don't win their age groups there. sesel over on ST is one, though 2nd isn't far off and he did get it at Vegas. I can't remember if Matt Hanson went to either last year, he was on here as six cubes for a bit I believe.

2014-06-12 8:30 AM

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Interesting observation since I have started racing with power is with my HR.  I don't even have heart rate on my screen anymore but do look at it after the race to see how it corresponds with typical training ranges.

I have always had a sky high heart rate on the bike during races, completely above anything I see in training which made it pretty impossible to pace a bike leg by HR.  Based on 20' FTP tests and accumulated training data my LTHR is around 163-165.  My AHR during the HIM bike leg was 168.  My power IF was 0.80.

It seems to come into what I consider typical ranges for my run leg - high Z3.  I did not have a great run leg by my standards but it also was not a blow up and I think I paced the bike leg appropriately.

Just interesting observation after reviewing my race files and how power is such a great tool.

2014-06-12 10:46 AM

2014-06-12 10:57 AM

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Sigh.....IM M-T 70.3 bib # 412....so bummed I'm not going to be putting it on

2014-06-12 12:27 PM
in reply to: Birkierunner

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Birkierunner

Yeah, hard to see, but if I remember right you had a LOT of big races this year. Might be for the best.

2014-06-12 4:55 PM

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Bummer... Even if it's the right decision, doesn't make it easy.Matt
2014-06-12 9:51 PM

Elite
Ontario

Been out of the loop this week as work has been a little intense just as I get ready to head off for a vacation in Europe for a couple of weeks  - leaving in 24hrs and don't have a single thing ready....but I'm setting priorities and checking in with the group.  Hope to get in some OWS, some runs and maybe somehow squeak in a ride or two since I need to race 10 days after getting back.

Guys - amazing results being posted out of this group.  I like Jay's description for the end of the bike race, and as much as I'd like to find time for it, it doesn't fit my schedule.  Besides, facing guys like Jay in a bunch Sprint is simply not fair - all slowtwitch and no fasttwitch for me!

Chris - before Arend gave himself as an example, I was going to use him.  It's seriously impressive how far he has come as a runner over the past couple of seasons, and I would look to him as a great example of how far you can progress.  That said, I think your struggles with injuries have slowed down your progress (you don't need me to tell you that), and consistency and volume over time are going to get you the results you want.  Whatever you can do to stay healthy is key.

2014-06-13 8:43 AM

2014-06-13 9:57 AM

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Originally posted by Fred D

Sucks.

Jim, I'm trying to get the IMMT race thread a little more active. We are arranging a swim meet up on Friday that I am hoping you can join us for?

Maybe you could add a little excitement to the thread as well, as there are only a few of us posting lol.

Fred, I'll try to pop on over to the thread soon.  What time were you thinking for the swim?

Yeah, not doing the 70.3 sucks because I really wanted to get some power data for the bike course for use in the full in August.  Even though I've raced there 2x neither time was with power.   Not being able to qualify for the 70.3 is also a bummer so now my schedule is putting all my eggs in the IM M-T basket.  What are we at?....9 weeks or so....holy carp 

2014-06-14 9:47 AM

2014-06-14 10:15 AM
in reply to: #4997734

Little Harbour
Hi guys ima little late joining but for Father's Day I asked for my entry fee in the local tri. I am doing the Olympic distance. Right now finishing is the goal. The only advantage is where I run and bike is the course.
I am 37 years old married and father of two. I work as a paramedic and am excited for my first Tri
2014-06-14 12:56 PM

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Anyone racing this weekend?  I have a local sprint tomorrow.

In prep for that, I went out for a 60 mile ride / 2 mile run this morning  

After the race tomorrow, I'll be running an extra hour (figure I'll run a couple more loops of the race course....have a nice supported long run!).  This is the last big training weekend before Buffalo Springs 70.3, so I figure I should pile it on and then start to taper a bit next week.  

2014-06-14 4:16 PM
in reply to: 0

Just training for me. Looking to get back into a training rhythm after racing back to back last two weeks. I forgot how much racing sticks with me. I got a little under the weather at the beginning of the week from that. Did 50/4 today and after some errands was wiped. Thought about doing an oly next weekend but think I'm just going to settle in to training for SOS.

Edited by ChrisM 2014-06-14 4:23 PM
2014-06-14 7:46 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

Master
, California

Looks like Seattle is trying to put the rain in training again.  Bleh.

2014-06-15 5:03 AM
in reply to: spudone

Elite
PEI, Canada

Finally home!  It sure was nice to sleep in my own bed last night.

Probably going to get out for a run today and hoping to get out on my bike over the next few days if the weather cooperates.  I don't go back to work until Wednesday.

2014-06-15 9:49 AM
in reply to: axteraa

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38890 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 74464 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.