BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 49

2016-01-11 8:52 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed
First off, awesome performance in Chile Nicole!

In terms of swimming, I don't use the pull buoy all that much - I use it pretty much every session, but only for maybe 200m or so as part of a warm-up. As another Ontario-based triathlete, I've never seen a race that wasn't wetsuit-legal, however I'm conscious of not wanting to engrain bad habits, so I want to make sure I'm swimming while engaging the entire kinetic chain rather than isolating the upper body too much.

I'm currently swimming twice a week, and I'm not yet hitting 5km total, so less than 20km/month. Hope to get another session in per week later in the year.

Did my FTP retest tonight on the bike and saw some pretty solid progress. I'm up to 220W now (crossed the 3W/kg marker!) from 191W in November which seems like a good increase to me over that time. Really pleased to see that the work is paying off.

2016-01-11 9:27 PM
in reply to: SenatorClayDavis

User image

Master
South Alabama

Ah, the luxury of wetsuit swims.  We only get to use the wetsuit very early and very late in the season down here on the Gulf Coast. 

Tonight I am nervously watching the National Championship game.  Over the past few years I have become a big Alabama fan.  Lived here for 20 years with only passing interest and then went bat sh#t  crazy pulling for Bama over the last 5-6 years or so.  My son just graduated from the University last May so I am sure that is a big reason for me to become a more passionate fan.  My son ran XC and track at Bama and it is amazing to see the facilities that are provided for the athletic programs.  Even the lowly track and XC programs benefited from the money brought in by the football program.  Locker room with big screen TVs, leather furniture and pool table...and that was for the track/XC guys....football is another league.   Growing up in Virginia college football was just something to do until ACC basketball started....right Stu?

2016-01-12 6:55 AM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Originally posted by slornow

Tonight I am nervously watching the National Championship game.  Over the past few years I have become a big Alabama fan.  ... Growing up in Virginia college football was just something to do until ACC basketball started....right Stu?

Congrats to your guys again, Randy. Didn't watch the game, but looks like it lived up to its billing.

It was all about the hoops back then (Tech fans might argue the point). Welsh did create a generation of football fans though... personally, I still have trouble getting that excited about football one way or the other, even though I have season tickets for both. During college if we went to football games it was to see the pep band, which, due in large part to its brand of humor, has long since been disbanded and replaced by a traditional college marching band. Turns out you can't go around insulting your competition unless you're losing to them 45-0 at halftime ;-)

I have been forewarned about the tennis ball drill :-)

Stu
2016-01-12 7:31 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Hey Randy - War D*mn Tide!

I was packing up getting ready to head out of town late last night, so while we had the game on I only got to watch bits and pieces, but it did look like committee got it right. Believe it or not I was rooting for the Bammers to win, and you know how tough that is for us cross-state kids. But I have to admit I am a real SEC Homer. Will be in the car this afternoon and evening, so looking forward to listening to Finebaum.

2016-01-12 8:23 AM
in reply to: jimmyb

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by jimmyb 60mins. Treadmill. 5mins @ 9:45 pace 5mins @ 9:30 5mins @ 9:15 5mins @ 9:00 5mins @ 8:45 10mins @ 8:30 5mins @ 8:45 5mins @ 9:00 5mins @ 9:15 5mins @ 9:30 5mins @ 9:45 This was my scheduled run. I did it at a 1% Grade for what its worth. I worked much harder to do this on the treadmill than I do running outside. Does anyone else feel as if treadmill runs are lots harder to maintain pace? An 8 min mile on a treadmill seems hard, but I can easily do an 8 min mile outdoors. I have heard many on another forum (ST) say treadmill runs are lots easier. This is just not the case for me as my effort to maintain the same speed is much greater.

I think it depends on "where" you are running on the treadmill.  When I run on the treadmill at the gym it is mentally, and therefore it seems, more physically challenging.  I have to listen to the gym music, and can't watch the little screens on the treadmill for shows since I'm too close and the up and down of the screen bugs me, plus I get way too hot.  Those are always tough runs.  But I got a used treadmill late in the winter last year, and am quite happy to run on that one in the basement.  Big fan, no shirt, TV to distract me - I'm good.

I used Marc's suggestion last night and checked the calibration of my treadmill using my bike wheel - actually just hooked the bike onto the treamdill handles and let it sit there, made things nice and easy.  I knew it was off, but now I know how much - if a treadmill setting is generally 7.5 = 8min/mile pace, then I need to set mine at 8.0 = 8min/mile pace.  I tested it through a number of different speeds and settings and it's consistently off, so at least it's easy enough to know how to adjust.

On a bad note, it seems my Garmin was revolted at the sight of my bike being on the treadmill and has decided to never turn on again.  I can't get it to power on and will need to go searching the web forums to hopefully find a fix.

2016-01-12 1:25 PM

User image

Question for people that have race IMMT

or I guess any IM race away from home.

Is there a specific day that I should arrive? I was thinking Thursday then leave the Monday after the race (visit Montréal or QC for a two days after)

But looking at a hotel right now there is an option to get one with a suite that has a full kitchen in it. I am thinking that might be a better idea so I don't have to fight with lines at restaurants,(assuming most restaurants will be busy then) also I heard that the town can be expensive so even though the hotel room rate is more expensive I will be saving money by making my own food.

Thoughts?

Thanks

2016-01-12 6:37 PM
in reply to: Murph333

User image

Elite
Ontario

Doing the 70.3 at Tremblant and we rented a "chalet" with kitchen, etc., across the street.  Friends recommended staying there and I think it's the smart way to do it - especially as a family.

2016-01-12 7:30 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Dragging today.  Staying up late to watch the game made for a long day today.  It was fun though!

Did get in an easy bike and run today.  Swim and longer run tomorrow.

Stu-I remember those days of UVA football.  I went to a few games when the pep band was at full crazy.  Here is a little throwback to  1982 when JMU beat UVA.

http://jmusportsblog.com/?p=6630

2016-01-12 7:48 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
It's all a matter of personal preference, but for ironman I prefer to get in on Wednesday late afternoon/evening and leave on Tuesday morning early. That way you can do All the pre-race rigamarole without being in the thick of a bunch of anxious triathletes doing the same. It gives you a cushion day should anything go wrong and gives you plenty of time to problem solve rationally. I like leavin on Tuesday vs. Monday as you don't have to hustle to pack up on Sunday after a long day and you don't have to rush around Monday morning. I can't tell you how awesome it is to sleep in on Monday morning and have a relaxing brunch after!! I would hands-down go with the kitchen if you can, but I like to be in close walking distance to the Olympic village as well, and it can sometimes be tough to find both. I would take walking distance over kitchen, but again, that is just a personal decision and no right or wrong about it.
2016-01-12 9:41 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Murph333

Is there a specific day that I should arrive? I was thinking Thursday then leave the Monday after the race (visit Montréal or QC for a two days after)

But looking at a hotel right now there is an option to get one with a suite that has a full kitchen in it. I am thinking that might be a better idea so I don't have to fight with lines at restaurants,(assuming most restaurants will be busy then) also I heard that the town can be expensive so even though the hotel room rate is more expensive I will be saving money by making my own food.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Do what will make the weekend as least stressful as possible. Your own kitchen is always a nice perk. We rented a house last year for a race, made all are food in house, saved money, and got away from all the nervous energy that comes out the 2-3 days before the race. Thursday is enough time, how many time zone and which direction are you coming from? Travel effects everyone differently, give yourself enough time. Thursday is usually a low key day for Sunday races, Friday is where all the buzz picks up.

2016-01-12 9:48 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

Originally posted by bcagle25 Started with a new drag toy today, a towel. Have been interested in this for awhile, 2x sets of various 4x25's with adding drag each time; bands, bands/buoy, bands, buoy, towel, bands, buoy towel, paddles. Small doses, but highly effective.

YUCK!  Swimming sucks enough without making it harder. With that said I have incorporated band work back into my swims this past week and plan to continue.

Got outside first thing this morning to try to get my run in before the rain came.  Well, that worked for the first 5 miles and then the rain started...not a big deal given the mild temps.  Probably get on the bike this afternoon to spin out my legs a bit.  Now it is time to help the wife pack up all the Xmas decorations and lug them up to the attic.  I do not enjoy this but like it just a tad better than getting all the crap out in December...mainly because I know I'll have to pack it up again a month later.  

It's different, but has the same goal in mind, overload the arms and create drag.

My "fun" goal this year is a sub 60 IM swim, racing alongside my g/f who swam/rowed in college and I'm hoping to limit my losses in the water.

2016-01-13 6:33 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia

Stu-I remember those days of UVA football.  I went to a few games when the pep band was at full crazy.  Here is a little throwback to 1982 when JMU beat UVA.

Ah man, I was expecting pep band highlights ;-) That was at least one of our closer efforts (and after I had graduated). Time to put on your hoops hat now. Carolina and Duke undefeated in league play so far. Are we reverting to normal? Few easy outs this year, unlike years past. Should be a great tournament this year from start to finish - one day I need to get to that!

Today is run day for me. 9 weeks out from the 10 miler and I'm struggling to make 10 miles / week. Humbling. Do not stop running again.

Stu

Edited by juneapple 2016-01-13 6:35 AM
2016-01-13 7:32 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Thoughts?

Thanks

If you're going to cook then do it! we stayed on the mountain last year in a condo. It was great. We arrived Thursday late in the day and stopped at the grocery store on the way in. Then Friday and Saturday we cooked and then Monday after it was over we ate out. I'm very leary about eating out before a big event. You can't control what restaurants cook with or on or how. But that's just my thing.

Also FWIW I heard the village is sold out.

ok so here's a question - Randy - DH is using Mike Plumb for IMMT training this year (his first). DH is a runner so Plumb is hammering him with running so far (which he loves). He is NOT, however, giving him any gym time. I made him ask and Plumb gave him a program but said "do it when you can" so DH basically isn't. What are everyone's thoughts on this? I believe strength training in the off season is crucial - especially for someone like me who needs hip strength all year long. I mean he's not doing anything (yet) core related either. That bothers me.

Have a good day!
2016-01-13 10:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Thoughts?

Thanks

When travelling I always prefer to have a place with a kitchen. It's convenient the whole time but most important on race day. For my last race we went the Air B&B route. Rented the downstairs of a home, private entrance, full kitchen. It worked out really well.

2016-01-13 10:50 AM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
In our Sufferfest class this morning we did Rubber Glove, which has a 20 min FTP test. They have been doing them every other month but are going to stretch that out to once every three month for this year.

Each of the bikes is set up with computers that calculate cadence, watts, time, distance and average watts. All I have to do is hit the reset button when the test begins and check the average watts when I am done and it does the calcs for me.

Bottom line, irrespective of the accuracy or how it might translate out on the road, my watts are up 15 from 8 weeks ago and 33 watts up from 16 weeks ago. I make sure to use the same bike and have the set up pretty dialed in. Two other variable I know exist. I ride it smarter than I did the first time and this was the hardest I rode of the three. As a single data point, I will take it.

Then we did a second video The Best Thing In The World, which I barely limped through.

This afternoon I have my final check in with my doctor. He needs to check the hip to make sure I am still OK to do the IM this year. Not sure what he could say to stop me but so far so good.

Have a great day.

2016-01-13 12:01 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Thanks everyone for the advice, was able to get a place in the Village (Tour des Voyageurs) and planning on flying in on Thursday

so all should be good

.... now I just need to train harder hahaha.

2016-01-13 5:08 PM
in reply to: #5158356

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Randee,

FWIW, I do very little to no strength training. I used to do some but I haven't done a whole lot with it in several years. I just don't have that much time for it on top of all of the SBR.
2016-01-13 6:13 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
South Alabama

Randee-I think doing some strength work helps me as an older athlete.  I don't think it makes me any faster but hopefully it will lessen the frequency of injury.  I orderd the Ironstrength Workout for Runners book/dvd.  I will link it below.  You can get a good idea of what is in the workout from the link and various reviews/videos.  Alot of body weight exercises and core work.  The full workout is a mother and I was unable to make it through. But, there are a couple of shorter workouts, around 20 miunutes,  that are a bit easier. I eventually incorporated several of the exercises in to the strength work I do.  Some of the jump squats and burpees were too much for my knees.  I tend to get away from strength work when the season...hopefully I will do better this year.

http://www.runnersworld.com/training-video/ironstrength-workout   

2016-01-13 6:54 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by wannabefaster

Randee,

FWIW, I do very little to no strength training. I used to do some but I haven't done a whole lot with it in several years. I just don't have that much time for it on top of all of the SBR.

I guess as someone who is prone to injury I'm think its important (for me) for injury prevention.
2016-01-13 8:25 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

One of these days, I'll catch back up and start to be an active member (I promise!), but that won't happen until I'm done with my Chile adventures.  However, I did take the time to do a brain dump (i.e. race report).  Might want to grab a snack or beverage....it's sorta long: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=538510&posts=1#M5161604 

Hope everyone's training is going well.  I haven't swam, biked, or ran since Sunday, but I did climb up to the summit of a 2800m volcano, went white water rafting, and have a five hour hike planned for tomorrow  

2016-01-13 10:03 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Now THAT sounds like a great recovery plan, Nicole!

2016-01-14 1:15 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Master
South Alabama

Great report Nicole!

Well. I suspect some folks have a 3 day weekend coming up.  Any big plans?

2016-01-14 1:42 PM

User image

Regular
Roseville, CA
Nicole - sounds like a good time there! Great race!

I found one way to step up a run last night. Went for a run while my 8 year old daughter was at soccer practice. I was 25' in and was trying to decide if I could do another loop and make it back before she was done - so I went for it having to push myself to get back just as she was done. So got in just over 50' last night. Felt good and nice to know I could get my pace lower without killing myself.

Ever since I did that LTR test and realizing I can keep my HR that high for an extended period of time has me realizing I can push way harder when needed.

No 3 day weekend for me and no real plans so should get some good training in this weekend. Will probably catch a few football games.

2016-01-14 7:48 PM
in reply to: BMiller71

User image

Master
South Alabama

Saw this article: 25 Golden Rules of Running. Good article.

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/the-25-golden-rules-of-running?cid=soc_Runner%27s%20World%20-%20RunnersWorld_FBPAGE_Runner%E2%80%99s%20World__Motivation_RunningTips

2016-01-15 9:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I did an indoor track workout yesterday. 10x200s. The plan was to just gradually increase pace from my boring every day pace to a bit below 5k pace.

a) it was good to run a bit faster
b) I confirmed my footpod calibration was bang on. If anyone is interested I can share how
c) there was a Jr track team and I was trying to chase and was somewhat succeeding

There coach came over and told me I was "pretty fast for an old fat dude". What a compliment !!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed Rss Feed  

of 49

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Pages: 1 ... 109 110 111 112

Started by cdban66
Views: 58513 Posts: 2782

2016-04-12 12:54 AM StaceyK

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.