BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-01-13 11:11 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s!
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by melbo55

Some of you may know I've been working with a coach the past few years, not because I am some special, elite athlete (FAR from it) but because I have goals that I feel might better be achieved with some guidance, plus I've learned the structure and accountability work for me.  Most recently I've been working with a coaching group that is based in VA (SpeedSherpa) but have clients/athletes all over the country and possibly even some overseas.  Originally I worked with Coach Josh from this group and while I was overall happy with his workouts/interactions, etc., I've decided this year to mix it up a little and change to another coach in the group, Coach Kim (female).  Interestingly, she's based in Ohio, away from the main coaching group.  

After an initial phone call with her in the fall of 2019, I felt like she would be a good fit for me.  She works full time as a teacher and keeps her coached athlete pool small, no more than 7 but in reality, I'm not sure she even has 5.  After this past week/weekend, she's earned even more 'points' with me.  I skipped one of the scheduled runs last week when my cold was starting to produce coughing and I noted this in the comment.  She wisely didn't schedule any workouts for the rest of the week and told me to let her know when I felt good enough to restart.

I had planned on contacting her Saturday evening but she beat me to the punch.  I told her I'd probably be up for an easy, shorter bike (as not to set off any coughing) and she posted a bike workout that perfectly detailed what I had requested.  After I completed the bike, I added comments about how it went and we discussed the next few workouts and the week.  Easy run tonight.  Easy bike tomorrow.  Stay out of the pool until closer to 100% (was she reading my mind?!  I hate/refuse to swim with snot/cough/congestion), so for her to suggest it on her own was like, WOW!  I told her I am donating blood Wed. am, so keep any workout that day very light.  She said we'll use that day as an off day.  Wow.  I was beyond excited and impressed with her plan! 

Wow! You may have found your magical unicorn coach! Go Coach Kim!

That's fantastic! I'm glad it works so well. Definitely keep us posted, I am very curious how beneficial you find having a coach, and what improvements you'll keep noticing.

2020-01-13 12:01 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by marysia83

Some of you may know I've been working with a coach the past few years, not because I am some special, elite athlete (FAR from it) but because I have goals that I feel might better be achieved with some guidance, plus I've learned the structure and accountability work for me.  Most recently I've been working with a coaching group that is based in VA (SpeedSherpa) but have clients/athletes all over the country and possibly even some overseas.  Originally I worked with Coach Josh from this group and while I was overall happy with his workouts/interactions, etc., I've decided this year to mix it up a little and change to another coach in the group, Coach Kim (female).  Interestingly, she's based in Ohio, away from the main coaching group.  

After an initial phone call with her in the fall of 2019, I felt like she would be a good fit for me.  She works full time as a teacher and keeps her coached athlete pool small, no more than 7 but in reality, I'm not sure she even has 5.  After this past week/weekend, she's earned even more 'points' with me.  I skipped one of the scheduled runs last week when my cold was starting to produce coughing and I noted this in the comment.  She wisely didn't schedule any workouts for the rest of the week and told me to let her know when I felt good enough to restart.

I had planned on contacting her Saturday evening but she beat me to the punch.  I told her I'd probably be up for an easy, shorter bike (as not to set off any coughing) and she posted a bike workout that perfectly detailed what I had requested.  After I completed the bike, I added comments about how it went and we discussed the next few workouts and the week.  Easy run tonight.  Easy bike tomorrow.  Stay out of the pool until closer to 100% (was she reading my mind?!  I hate/refuse to swim with snot/cough/congestion), so for her to suggest it on her own was like, WOW!  I told her I am donating blood Wed. am, so keep any workout that day very light.  She said we'll use that day as an off day.  Wow.  I was beyond excited and impressed with her plan! 

Wow! You may have found your magical unicorn coach! Go Coach Kim!

That's fantastic! I'm glad it works so well. Definitely keep us posted, I am very curious how beneficial you find having a coach, and what improvements you'll keep noticing.

I think I am in love with your coach!! I hope she continues being what you need.

2020-01-13 3:34 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by alaskatri  I lived in Laramie for a few years as well. Long before I decided to go to law school, I actually went to WyoTech up there and then worked in auto body shops for a number of years. The GM dealership there in town used to be called Burman Motors way back and I worked there. My wife is from CO and is a UW grad. She and I met when I was up there. We drove the kids through there a couple of summers ago and showed them the town where we met, then we drove out to the area back in behind Vedauwoo and did some trout fishing in the beaver ponds. I also got really into fly fishing when I lived there - I grew up in Cali and never did it until I met my wife and her family. I ended up working part time at the West Laramie Fly Shop for about a year and a half. We stopped in there on our last trip and the guy that I worked for, his grandson now runs the place. Alaska is cold for sure. But honestly, it's nothing like that Laramie wind. We sometimes tell the kids about how we used to have go out in the mornings and cross the street to see where our car was parked because the sides of all the cars that faced our apartment would drift so bad that all the cars were buried, but the other side of the cars were completely clean. So if you forgot where you parked, you had to get to the clean side to figure out which one was yours. They can't even grasp the concept. Such great memories.

I met my wife in Laramie too.  We went to the in-laws for Christmas this year and stopped in Laramie on the way back to Oklahoma but only for about 15 minutes for potty stops. I like Laramie.  I didn't mind the cold.  You acclimatize, then you're fine.  

Workout time:  I do my main workouts between 4:30 AM and 7:00 AM.  Before I had kids I would work out at in the evenings, and before I had a job I would work out early in the afternoon.  I just love being outdoors.  If I leave the office at lunch and it is a nice day I will think Oh...I love days like this.  If I leave the office and it is raining I will think Oh...I like it when it rains.  If I leave the office at lunch and it is snowing I will think Oh...I love the snow.  So...I have decided that I just like being outside.  So if I could pick any time of the day it would NOT be at 4:30 AM.  It would be when the sun is up and I can see the world around me.  Sunrise workouts are okay. Oh... I love sunrises, but late in the morning or early afternoon is my favorite time to workout.

My Brother did the Dopy Challenge a few years ago one of my friends that I see 2-3 times a week did the Dopy challenge the first year it was offered.  Neither of them are fast runners.  Both of them of pretty goofy guys.  So I look at it as a challenge for people that have a lot of fun in life but don't take races too seriously.    To be fair though they both said it is a very difficult challenge and by the last day you feel like you have done a 100 miler.  It is a race that will help you set goals and stay motivated to get in good shape but is not a race that will necessarily help you get faster or break any PR's.  If you do it will likely be for fun and not for competition or to be competitive.   

Edited by BlueBoy26 2020-01-13 3:53 PM
2020-01-14 7:38 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I would do the Dopey Challenge with a group.  I think that my husband would at least consider boycotting though!

2020-01-14 7:42 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

We closed this group to new members (returning Manatees are always welcome) and I'd like to get our Strava group ship shape for 2020 as well. For those of you who use Strava, please consider joining our group at https://www.strava.com/clubs/manatees

This means YOU: Curtis, Jill, Rob, Sheri, and Tom

Joining the Strava group is by no means a requirement. It's just another way that we support each other.

2020-01-14 7:48 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Is anyone else here doing Tour de Zwift? I need to find an Innsbruck time that works for me. You'd think that with a bagillion times, I would able to find one that works but no.  I guess I'll add it on after a group ride this weekend.

2020-01-14 11:14 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Is anyone else here doing Tour de Zwift? I need to find an Innsbruck time that works for me. You'd think that with a bagillion times, I would able to find one that works but no.  I guess I'll add it on after a group ride this weekend.

What is Tour de Zwift? Is it like Tour of Sufferfest? 

2020-01-14 11:18 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

TdZ is a tour of all of the Zwift worlds.  Stage 1 was London , Stage 2 is Innsbruck.  They have events set up and you need to attend a TdZ event in the specified world. The event can be either a group ride or a race.

If you complete all seven stages, you get a jersey for your avatar. For some reason, this seemed important to me?

Edited by jmkizer 2020-01-14 11:19 AM
2020-01-14 2:15 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

TdZ is a tour of all of the Zwift worlds.  Stage 1 was London , Stage 2 is Innsbruck.  They have events set up and you need to attend a TdZ event in the specified world. The event can be either a group ride or a race.

If you complete all seven stages, you get a jersey for your avatar. For some reason, this seemed important to me?

well of course it did!
2020-01-14 2:19 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ceilidh

well of course it did!

It had better be an attractive on my avatar, that's all I have to say!

2020-01-14 5:15 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by fortissimo  Make that 4 Manatees that know Laramie. I'm a bit north of Denver and two hours south of Laramie on a good day. My great aunt and uncle owned a ranch on the Laramie River and I spent many summers there as a kid. They moved into town when they retired from ranching and we visited them often.

This makes me so happy!  I love everywhere I have lived and Laramie has a special place in my heart. 

2020-01-14 5:40 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Cypress, Texas

Some of you may know I've been working with a coach the past few years, ........Wow.  I was beyond excited and impressed with her plan! 

That is awsome!

2020-01-14 8:37 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Denver, Colorado
It's only day 2, but the Manatee Challenge truly keeps me in check!
2020-01-15 7:08 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I got an email about the Tour de Sufferlandria!

LOVE IT!

Is this the most amazing event EVER?

Until the 2021 Tour, yes it is.

Edited by jmkizer 2020-01-15 7:11 AM
2020-01-15 7:22 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Joke from today's Zwift ride:

I was going to tell a joke about sodium...

2020-01-15 7:27 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

...but Na, I didn't think you'd get it.

2020-01-15 7:37 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

LOVE IT!

My first reaction when I saw the line up was HOLY HELL! I haven’t had a chance to check it out much but believe my first impression will stick!
2020-01-15 7:38 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

LOVE IT!

My first reaction when I saw the line up was HOLY HELL! I haven’t had a chance to check it out much but believe my first impression will stick!

You were supposed to think EPIC!

2020-01-15 10:09 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Yesterday I listened to a Stryd Podcast titled "Optimizing your treadmill training with running power."  It was very dry. I do not recommend listening to it (they basically read a scientific paper to you, did I mention that it was very dry?) BUT this part made me thing of Ann-Marie's recent treadmill experience:

Non-motorized treadmills may have the advantage of greater mechanical similarities to overground running than motorized treadmills.  However, non-motorized treadmills have been noted to be associated with a significantly higher oxygen utilization, heart rate (HR) and rating of perceived exertion (RPE) compared to both, motorized treadmill running and overground running.

“Running on a non-motorized curved treadmill at three different velocities results in a higher oxygen uptake (37%) and heart rate (22%) and is subjectively much harder than running on a track or a motorized treadmill at the same velocities.”

So there you go!

2020-01-15 10:11 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

...but Na, I didn't think you'd get it.

Ha, love it!

2020-01-15 10:15 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

LOVE IT!

There is some funny stuff in there!!  'Bike Torture Chamber Essentials';  under 'Getting Your Torture Chamber Ready' they list items to have and 'a hamster' is one of them.  Also, 

ARE THERE DONUTS?

Flogging station 6 is open. Report immediately.

2020-01-15 11:23 AM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by awm007

Originally posted by juniperjen

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on Disney ... i do love Disney like Robin. I think i cried a little on a trip there in 2009 when i was at Cinderella's castle. It is likely not even in the cards but i was curious about it. It seems like the race was very hot this year. And with that early wake up call i wouldn't be doing much other than laying in a beach/pool chair after that. 

This year was the hottest year for the marathon. From what i've been told there were people dropping left and right and the med tent was super active. It got so bad that around the 5-5:30 hr mark they shortened the course for the people still out there. I think it was about a 2 mile shortening. They also had a 5 am start planned this year but traffic was so bad getting in - even the on-site hotel buses got delayed, they started 20 minutes late. 

I can only imagine how hot the April races are there. Orlando isn't a lot hotter than Raleigh for much of the year, but it seems about 10 times more humid.

I was there this past weekend and I've done races in April. Just like anytime in FL the weather is a crapshoot.

We did the half this year and all I can say is THANK GOD it was overcast when the sun came up. It was 72 degrees and 80% humidity at 430am. I was at mile 8 when the sunrise had officially happened and if it were sunny it would have cooked every one of us! I heard the nightmares about the marathon the next day - both the traffic (which I heard was caused by people trying to get to hollywood studios for star wars at that hour LOL) and the heat during the run. WHen I woke up and our hotel windows were steamed up I knew it was gonna be bad.....But we flew home Sunday.

Yeah they are expensive but so much fun! Where else can you run a half with 21,000 finishers? TWENTY ONE THOUSAND?!
2020-01-15 11:24 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Yesterday I listened to a Stryd Podcast titled "Optimizing your treadmill training with running power."  It was very dry. I do not recommend listening to it (they basically read a scientific paper to you, did I mention that it was very dry?) BUT this part made me thing of Ann-Marie's recent treadmill experience:

Non-motorized treadmills may have the advantage of greater mechanical similarities to overground running than motorized treadmills.  However, non-motorized treadmills have been noted to be associated with a significantly higher oxygen utilization, heart rate (HR) and rating of perceived exertion (RPE) compared to both, motorized treadmill running and overground running.

“Running on a non-motorized curved treadmill at three different velocities results in a higher oxygen uptake (37%) and heart rate (22%) and is subjectively much harder than running on a track or a motorized treadmill at the same velocities.”

So there you go!

I agree with the non-motorized TM assessment! 

2020-01-15 11:25 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

I would do the Dopey Challenge with a group.  I think that my husband would at least consider boycotting though!

I always said the ONLY full marathon I would consider would be the Disney marathon......DH is in for Dopey next year so I mean I'll be there......
2020-01-15 11:26 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Orlando

LOVE IT!

There is some funny stuff in there!!  'Bike Torture Chamber Essentials';  under 'Getting Your Torture Chamber Ready' they list items to have and 'a hamster' is one of them.  Also, 

ARE THERE DONUTS?

Flogging station 6 is open. Report immediately.

Sufferfest has afun community. The workouts have cues and explanation etc as they play and are often sarcastic, which i endorse!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127