BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 149

2013-11-26 1:28 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Subject: RE: SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by ligersandtions I'm eagerly watching for Black Friday deals to come up. I'm looking to get a stand alone bike computer -- anyone have one that they love / hate / specific recommendations? I just compared the Garmin 500/510/800/810 to one another and they look almost the same (with respect to the features that I actually care about). Other than aesthetics, is there a reason you'd spend more on one versus the other?
I have a 500 and 800. Love them both. The 800 is a bit big and slightly harder to place on aero bars with bottles..... The 500 did everything I needed it to from a metrics perspective But I am really good at getting lost and it was intended for out of town and new routes. The 800s maps was the only advantage. I got it super cheap. I think it was Chris' PSA on the $100 rebate that got me into it. The 510 features like uploading through my phone and the social aspect....was not worth it for me. So I would say if you need maps, 800/810 otherwise 500/510.

Agree.  I have the 500 and it does a great job if you don't need maps.  I've dropped it more than a few times and it holds up.  It's on sale at Clevertraining.com for $199 and you can still apply DC Rainmaker's 10% code (DCR10TXS) to get it down to $180 with free shipping.  There may be better deals out there, but I like going through clever training and supporting Ray as much as possible.  His reviews are worth gold.

2013-11-26 1:39 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Bah!   I've had a foot issue ongoing since training for Canada that I've really been ignoring, because - oddly enough - it does not hurt at all when I run.  But running aggravates it, and I feel it when walking.  Sometimes.  PT narrowed it to muscles in the "interossia" region between 1st and 2d MT.  He doesn't think its a stress fx, and neither do i, because it doesn't present like one (i can run and bounce on it all day long). But I am getting an xray today just to rule that out.

The not hurting when running thing is weird. I've done IM, HIM, very hilly trail 18K, hilly road HM, long trail runs with no pain.  And even though the next day walking round it can hurt, once I start running I don't feel it. 

Hasn't really gotten much worse, but I figure now is the time to tackle it if it's a soft tissue injury.

Have to miss a couple races, no biggie, but otehrwise a horrible time of year to lose a major calorie burning activity :^

2013-11-26 1:45 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by ChrisM

Bah!   I've had a foot issue ongoing since training for Canada that I've really been ignoring, because - oddly enough - it does not hurt at all when I run.  But running aggravates it, and I feel it when walking.  Sometimes.  PT narrowed it to muscles in the "interossia" region between 1st and 2d MT.  He doesn't think its a stress fx, and neither do i, because it doesn't present like one (i can run and bounce on it all day long). But I am getting an xray today just to rule that out.

The not hurting when running thing is weird. I've done IM, HIM, very hilly trail 18K, hilly road HM, long trail runs with no pain.  And even though the next day walking round it can hurt, once I start running I don't feel it. 

Hasn't really gotten much worse, but I figure now is the time to tackle it if it's a soft tissue injury.

Have to miss a couple races, no biggie, but otehrwise a horrible time of year to lose a major calorie burning activity :^

Sorry to read that Chris - but good on you for getting it checked out. I know as well as anybody that burning calories is vital during the holidays is crucial, but if you have to be hurt a little now is the best time for it, and to make it a priority to get better. You certainly don't want it to still be hanging around come april.....
2013-11-26 1:48 PM

User image

Got an email from TP support saying I need to update my device agent and can do a mass upload from WKO to TP.  We'll see how that goes.

Also of note is that the WKO 4 software will be a discounted upgrade for those with WKO 3. 

2013-11-26 1:48 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I had a very similar thing going on this summer Chris.  I could run, ride etc without any pain at all but walking and driving (right foot) got it rather inflamed - felt like the top of my foot was on fire at times.  Doesn't sound quite the same as yours but my Osteopath said it was my cuboid bone out of place due to some tight muscles in my foot and lower leg.  She did some of her voodoo adjustments (that never seem like they are anything), my foot was on fire that night but then I never felt it again.

I understand that none of that helps you.    I hope it's not a stress fx and you get it sorted out soon.

2013-11-26 2:14 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by ligersandtions

I'm eagerly watching for Black Friday deals to come up. I'm looking to get a stand alone bike computer -- anyone have one that they love / hate / specific recommendations?

I just compared the Garmin 500/510/800/810 to one another and they look almost the same (with respect to the features that I actually care about). Other than aesthetics, is there a reason you'd spend more on one versus the other?

I have a 500 and 800. Love them both. The 800 is a bit big and slightly harder to place on aero bars with bottles.....
The 500 did everything I needed it to from a metrics perspective
But I am really good at getting lost and it was intended for out of town and new routes. The 800s maps was the only advantage. I got it super cheap.
I think it was Chris' PSA on the $100 rebate that got me into it.
The 510 features like uploading through my phone and the social aspect....was not worth it for me.

So I would say if you need maps, 800/810 otherwise 500/510.

I too have the 500 & 800. Both are solid, but I do like the 800 better. I ride a lot of new routes and go exploring quite a bit on my long easy rides, and find the maps, routing, and turn-by-turn directions to be great. I have mentioned this here before, but we dot a lot of hilly/mountainous riding and and racing, and I find the ability to "look ahead" up the road for changes in elevation is an invaluable tool for pacing in both racing and training, particularly when on an unfamiliar route.

I got kind of excited when the 810 came out, because the one thing I don't like about the 500/800 is the need for an actual computer to upload files to training peaks, strava, etc. But so far garmin has decided to keep the wireless upload closed to Garmin Connect (there are some work-arounds to get it strava, but not training peaks at the moment). So I am sticking with the 800 until that changes. I really wish Garmin would enable the 500/10 & 800/10 to upload via ant like their running watches do, but even though it is possible they seem to have made some sort of market decision not to.

2013-11-26 2:34 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by Jason N

Got an email from TP support saying I need to update my device agent and can do a mass upload from WKO to TP.  We'll see how that goes.

Also of note is that the WKO 4 software will be a discounted upgrade for those with WKO 3. 

Looking forward to the WKO 4 running native on mac - hope both versions are released on the 10th. Also will be happy when they release the html 5 web app. They have never made a lot of boo-ha about it, but the file viewer has been html 5 compliant for a long time and works great on mobile devices, but all you can do is look at data - the actual web app promises to be a whole lot more robust than that.
2013-11-26 3:12 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by TankBoy

Looking forward to the WKO 4 running native on mac - hope both versions are released on the 10th. Also will be happy when they release the html 5 web app. They have never made a lot of boo-ha about it, but the file viewer has been html 5 compliant for a long time and works great on mobile devices, but all you can do is look at data - the actual web app promises to be a whole lot more robust than that.

I have been using the html 5 web app and it is nice !
2013-11-26 3:21 PM

User image

So after browsing through training peaks website for the first itme in like 3.5 years (since I originally signed up for an account), I noticed that the free version doesn't include any power analysis.  Am I missing something here?  Does my WKO subscription entitle me to anything?  Seems as though uploading workouts to TP isn't going to do me much of anything, and while the premium subscription charts look much nicer than Strava, it's also much more expensive.

2013-11-26 3:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I'm eagerly watching for Black Friday deals to come up. I'm looking to get a stand alone bike computer -- anyone have one that they love / hate / specific recommendations?

I just compared the Garmin 500/510/800/810 to one another and they look almost the same (with respect to the features that I actually care about). Other than aesthetics, is there a reason you'd spend more on one versus the other?

I have a 500 and 800. Love them both. The 800 is a bit big and slightly harder to place on aero bars with bottles.....
The 500 did everything I needed it to from a metrics perspective
But I am really good at getting lost and it was intended for out of town and new routes. The 800s maps was the only advantage. I got it super cheap.
I think it was Chris' PSA on the $100 rebate that got me into it.
The 510 features like uploading through my phone and the social aspect....was not worth it for me.

So I would say if you need maps, 800/810 otherwise 500/510.

I too have the 500 & 800. Both are solid, but I do like the 800 better. I ride a lot of new routes and go exploring quite a bit on my long easy rides, and find the maps, routing, and turn-by-turn directions to be great. I have mentioned this here before, but we dot a lot of hilly/mountainous riding and and racing, and I find the ability to "look ahead" up the road for changes in elevation is an invaluable tool for pacing in both racing and training, particularly when on an unfamiliar route.

I got kind of excited when the 810 came out, because the one thing I don't like about the 500/800 is the need for an actual computer to upload files to training peaks, strava, etc. But so far garmin has decided to keep the wireless upload closed to Garmin Connect (there are some work-arounds to get it strava, but not training peaks at the moment). So I am sticking with the 800 until that changes. I really wish Garmin would enable the 500/10 & 800/10 to upload via ant like their running watches do, but even though it is possible they seem to have made some sort of market decision not to.

Thanks, guys! I'm reading through DC Rainmaker's reviews on all of them now (I'm through two of them....they are long, but have so much good information that I hate to just skim!). I'm somewhat undecided about whether I want/need maps or not. I always carry my phone with me since I can't make an emergency call from my computer anyways! So if I get myself helplessly lost, I always have that. Plus, I don't know if I would actually be inclined to upload a course prior to the ride....and I always ride with people who know where they are (and I never do!).

I agree that uploading to the phone and the social aspect of the X10's are not worth it for me. I do wish that they had a computer that uploaded the files wirelessly like the 910 does. My luck is that they'll come out with it right after I commit to one of these.
2013-11-26 3:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

So after browsing through training peaks website for the first itme in like 3.5 years (since I originally signed up for an account), I noticed that the free version doesn't include any power analysis.  Am I missing something here?  Does my WKO subscription entitle me to anything?  Seems as though uploading workouts to TP isn't going to do me much of anything, and while the premium subscription charts look much nicer than Strava, it's also much more expensive.

that explains a few things
To go from TP to WKO requires the premium version. That's probably what the login message error is.

No WKO does not give you any TP rights. I can PM you a 2 week trial code if you want to try TP premium. I think it still works.

2013-11-26 3:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Sorry to hear you're still dealing with that foot issue. You hadn't mentioned anything recently, so I was hoping it was a thing of the past.

My knee is kind of like that....doesn't really bother me when I run, but aggravates it for later when I'm just walking or sitting down or trying to sleep. Hopefully you have better luck figuring out the cause of your pain.

As for burning calories, you might as well ride. Riding >>>>>> running :P
2013-11-26 3:48 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by ligersandtions  I do wish that they had a computer that uploaded the files wirelessly like the 910 does. My luck is that they'll come out with it right after I commit to one of these.

I'm pretty sure the new Forerunner 620 will upload automatically over Wifi so it wouldn't surprise me if their next cycling one did as well.

2013-11-26 5:21 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by ligersandtions Thanks, guys! I'm reading through DC Rainmaker's reviews on all of them now (I'm through two of them....they are long, but have so much good information that I hate to just skim!). I'm somewhat undecided about whether I want/need maps or not. I always carry my phone with me since I can't make an emergency call from my computer anyways! So if I get myself helplessly lost, I always have that. Plus, I don't know if I would actually be inclined to upload a course prior to the ride....and I always ride with people who know where they are (and I never do!). I agree that uploading to the phone and the social aspect of the X10's are not worth it for me. I do wish that they had a computer that uploaded the files wirelessly like the 910 does. My luck is that they'll come out with it right after I commit to one of these.

Not sure about your area, but not every map program on the phone will work everywhere. Seem to download the info as needed and if not in range, kind of sol. The 800/810 will have all info already loaded. I like having a little redundancy on such things if it's not too difficult to get.

2013-11-26 5:35 PM
in reply to: brigby1

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-11-26 5:42 PM

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by ligersandtions Thanks, guys! I'm reading through DC Rainmaker's reviews on all of them now (I'm through two of them....they are long, but have so much good information that I hate to just skim!). I'm somewhat undecided about whether I want/need maps or not. I always carry my phone with me since I can't make an emergency call from my computer anyways! So if I get myself helplessly lost, I always have that. Plus, I don't know if I would actually be inclined to upload a course prior to the ride....and I always ride with people who know where they are (and I never do!). I agree that uploading to the phone and the social aspect of the X10's are not worth it for me. I do wish that they had a computer that uploaded the files wirelessly like the 910 does. My luck is that they'll come out with it right after I commit to one of these.

Not sure about your area, but not every map program on the phone will work everywhere. Seem to download the info as needed and if not in range, kind of sol. The 800/810 will have all info already loaded. I like having a little redundancy on such things if it's not too difficult to get.

Me too, Ben. On long rides I especially don't like using my phone as a gps device as it chews through so much battery, and when I need my phone on a long ride I really, really need it to be a phone - not a dead brick. So we even use GTU-10s for tracking so as not to kill the phones. the 510 and 810 are pretty clever as tracking devices in that regard - they use the gps from the head unit and only the cellular service from the phone so it doesn't murder the phone battery. pretty smart.

I will say that on group rides I am always the guy that knows where we are going and wind up instructing others where to go, when to turn, etc, so if you aren't really interested in that and really like to follow along, then the 800/810 is overkill. I have several other friends that use the 800, but I am always the one that has to make their course files for them and make are they are set up before each ride. It is a little bit of a chore if that is not your thing.

two years ago I was doing a small HIM and watched about 15 riders miss a turn 200 yards in front of me. Because of the 800 I made the turn and never saw them again. Same thing happened last summer on a century - that one sucked though as we lost all the dudes that were going hard on the front. The group never really got formed back up well.

2013-11-26 5:55 PM
in reply to: axteraa

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by ligersandtions  I do wish that they had a computer that uploaded the files wirelessly like the 910 does. My luck is that they'll come out with it right after I commit to one of these.

I'm pretty sure the new Forerunner 620 will upload automatically over Wifi so it wouldn't surprise me if their next cycling one did as well.

I was all excited to get the 620, but then read DC Rainmaker's review and learned that it was losing wireless data uploads via ANT, which is a fail for me. With the 310/610/910 you can easily upload data to third party sites (Strava, TrainingPeaks, etc) via an ANT dongle and a smartphone - no computer required. With all of the new Garmin products the only way you can upload to third party sites is to hook the device up to a real computer via USB. Wireless only works with Garmin Connect, which doesn't communicate with Training Peaks or Strava, as Garmin sees them as competing rather than complimentary products. Work lets me travel all the time without a computer for days at a time with (I just use a phone and a tablet). On those days I will often stick my 310 in my jersey pocket on rides to collect cycling data for upload as the 800 does not support wireless upload either. Ray says it could via a firmware update, but Garmin has elected not to do so for market "protection" reasons.
2013-11-26 6:09 PM

Yeah...it seems a lot of Garmin products could do a lot more with simple firmware updates.  No reason an edge 500 shouldn't be able to do ANT+ uploads, but if it could...then nobody would buy the 510.  If the 510 could do wireless uploads to Strava, TP, WKO, Golden Cheetah, etc...then nobody would use Garmin Connect.  Although the 3rd party app that can automatically transfer files from garmin connect to Strava looks pretty cool.

Not a Garmin hater...I love garmin products, but they really have no competition and I don't blame them for holding back some of their functionality if it means that their newer products look better or that their online software gets more use.

2013-11-26 6:28 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by Fred D

Thought I would share a story.... Posted on FB as well about this, but got a chance to swim with my 11yo daughter on Sunday and she actually made a workout for me. It was fun, with lots of IM and IM kick sets. She was giving me some advice as well. Then we did a few races. 100 free, 50 free and 100 IM. She beat me in the 100 free, I beat her in the 50 free and the 100 IM was a dead heat. It was tremendous fun for both of us and she wants to do it again real soon. She swims in a big meet in a few weeks, and interestingly enough, for those longer in the tooth here, Gadzooks (Mike Gadzminski) will be up with his daughter who will swim at the meet as well. I think his daughter is in a younger age group, but will be interesting to see our kids swim. Mike btw has finished as second overall amateur at eagleman 70.3 previously, so it's quite possible his daughter will swim pretty fast lol. Anyway, just checking in and letting you know my neat story with my daughter!

Fred - that is AWESOME! Now you just have to get her a bike:

Does my seat look too high?

This is a little 24" Felt that I helped my neighbor find for a STEAL ($100.00) for their daughter's 11th birthday two months ago. She has been racing triathlons for two years (fast little fish and a great runner) but she has been riding a regular kids mountain bike. She joined a youth development team and did her last two races of the season on "Razzle Dazzle" (even kids understand the importance of getting the bike named appropriately) and cleaned up in her division. She already out swims me and there is a good chance she will be outrunning me by next year. I may be able to hold her off on the bike for a few more years though...
2013-11-26 6:34 PM

Sorry to hear you're still dealing with that foot issue. You hadn't mentioned anything recently, so I was hoping it was a thing of the past. My knee is kind of like that....doesn't really bother me when I run, but aggravates it for later when I'm just walking or sitting down or trying to sleep. Hopefully you have better luck figuring out the cause of your pain. As for burning calories, you might as well ride. Riding >>>>>> running :P

Thanks...     Was lucky enough to get into the podiatrist for an xray, negative for a stress fx.  Both PT and podiatrist came up with "metatarsalgia," which is like "shin splints."  Meaning, it hurts, we don't really know why.....

I have very high arches and I seem to be having a lot of foot issues lately......     I will not do the 15K this Thursday obviously, setting up a pie calorie burning ride though.   Reserving judgment for the HITS oly next weekend.  Was going to be kind of a Palm Springs weekend for me and the wife, so sort of hate to miss it.  But the race only cost $25 with a tri club discount, so it's one I definitely don't mind eating

As for the other threads, I DO NT need another toy so I am scrupulously avoiding them 

2013-11-26 6:46 PM

Master
Northern IL

Yeah...it seems a lot of Garmin products could do a lot more with simple firmware updates.  No reason an edge 500 shouldn't be able to do ANT+ uploads, but if it could...then nobody would buy the 510.  If the 510 could do wireless uploads to Strava, TP, WKO, Golden Cheetah, etc...then nobody would use Garmin Connect.  Although the 3rd party app that can automatically transfer files from garmin connect to Strava looks pretty cool.

Not a Garmin hater...I love garmin products, but they really have no competition and I don't blame them for holding back some of their functionality if it means that their newer products look better or that their online software gets more use.

Awhile back DCRainmaker went on about how Garmin was just sitting on a goldmine with their maps & online stuff. They had far more connectiveness than anyone else did, but what have they done with it, really? If a device maker got it together with say Strava wonder how much and how fast things would shift.

2013-11-26 6:56 PM

Master
Northern IL

Me too, Ben. On long rides I especially don't like using my phone as a gps device as it chews through so much battery, and when I need my phone on a long ride I really, really need it to be a phone - not a dead brick. So we even use GTU-10s for tracking so as not to kill the phones. the 510 and 810 are pretty clever as tracking devices in that regard - they use the gps from the head unit and only the cellular service from the phone so it doesn't murder the phone battery. pretty smart. I will say that on group rides I am always the guy that knows where we are going and wind up instructing others where to go, when to turn, etc, so if you aren't really interested in that and really like to follow along, then the 800/810 is overkill. I have several other friends that use the 800, but I am always the one that has to make their course files for them and make are they are set up before each ride. It is a little bit of a chore if that is not your thing. two years ago I was doing a small HIM and watched about 15 riders miss a turn 200 yards in front of me. Because of the 800 I made the turn and never saw them again. Same thing happened last summer on a century - that one sucked though as we lost all the dudes that were going hard on the front. The group never really got formed back up well.

I don't actually sync the phone with the Garmin. The weather feature might be nice, but think DC thought they didn't do a very good job with it. At least an early version. Don't know with the updates. My 800 actually died, so picked up an 810. Some of the organization is nicer, though I forget exactly where the 800 had some things. Don't know if an update changed this, but I love being able to slide the map around instead of just zoom in & out.

Having the route in the unit has been a fantastic help on many rides. One is for reasons you mentioned. I've seen 50+ people go right by a well marked turn on such rides, completely oblivious. If I miss, the unit says so. The 810 actually has the whole screen go black instead of just a little bar. Much easier to see. One issue that comes up every now and then is if a course loops back on itself or crosses over, it can get confused on which way to go. But at least I know I'm somewhere on the route and giving the route a once-over beforehand can help take care of that after stopping to look for a sec. Wonder if it has to do with the program used to make the route? Having the elevation profile has been very helpful too. I'll know if it's just a little hill or one of the beasts. Really can't see very far ahead on the wooded Wisconsin back roads. Garmin Connect actually does not have this for a planned route. Only for a ridden one that I "borrow". Ridewithgps and bikeroutetoaster do put in the elevation profile, however. Just another way Garmin needs to stay on their toes.

2013-11-26 8:06 PM
in reply to: 0

Awhile back DCRainmaker went on about how Garmin was just sitting on a goldmine with their maps & online stuff. They had far more connectiveness than anyone else did, but what have they done with it, really? If a device maker got it together with say Strava wonder how much and how fast things would shift.

I'm not sure if there is enough market for it yet, but the next step is to create fitness devices that operate more like your cell phone that can download apps directly to it.  Think of cell phones 7 years ago.  They had the ability to make calls, text, take a picture, set an alarm, and connect to some data.  Once out of the box...that's all it could do.  That's how fitness devices are now.  They can record speed, time, power, HR, elevation, etc...but you are limited by the firmware it comes with out of the box (with the exception of minor firmware upgrades).  Now phones are made to accept apps to personalize and streamline the users experience.  The functionality of your phone 3 months after you bought it is very different from what it could do out of the box.

So imagine a cycling computer that allows you to download a Strava (or TP, Garmin Connect, MapMyFitness, etc) app directly on it.  You sync it with your PC to exchange data...not only to download your fitness files to your PC, but to upload maps, changes in weight/FTP, your training plan/schedule, or your most recent training data (such as total distance, time, TSS, TSB, CTL, ATL, elevation gain, etc in the past X days) back to the device. 

Say you download the Strava app to your bike computer and you choose to upload specific segments to your computer that you want to chase after.  As soon as you start the segment, your computer goes into "virtual parnter/course" mode that lets you know how far ahead/behind you are in real time. 

Say you download the TP app that uploads the next week of your training plan to your computer.  When you open the app, it realizes what date it is, and tells you what workout you are supposed to do and also programs the workout giving you alerts during your ride.

When you are done with your ride, your fitness data updates.  You can now quickly view your updated weekly ride totals, TSB, CTL, ATL, etc.  When you connect the bike computer back up to your PC, the apps you have recongize the connection and automatically knows to push that data to whatever website it is associated with and also pull any updated data (KOM leaderboard, new workouts, etc) to your computer.  You don't have to do anything except plug it in or get within range of the ANT+ or bluetooth sensor and everything simply happens because the app of your choice does it for you.

Of course, you have the chicken and the egg scenario.  A company won't develop such a computer unless they know that software companies will develop the apps for it.  And software companies won't develop the apps unless there is already a known device for it.

ETA:  Built in cameras into your fitness devices.  It's coming...

Edited by Jason N 2013-11-26 8:18 PM
2013-11-26 8:25 PM

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Me too, Ben. On long rides I especially don't like using my phone as a gps device as it chews through so much battery, and when I need my phone on a long ride I really, really need it to be a phone - not a dead brick. So we even use GTU-10s for tracking so as not to kill the phones. the 510 and 810 are pretty clever as tracking devices in that regard - they use the gps from the head unit and only the cellular service from the phone so it doesn't murder the phone battery. pretty smart. I will say that on group rides I am always the guy that knows where we are going and wind up instructing others where to go, when to turn, etc, so if you aren't really interested in that and really like to follow along, then the 800/810 is overkill. I have several other friends that use the 800, but I am always the one that has to make their course files for them and make are they are set up before each ride. It is a little bit of a chore if that is not your thing. two years ago I was doing a small HIM and watched about 15 riders miss a turn 200 yards in front of me. Because of the 800 I made the turn and never saw them again. Same thing happened last summer on a century - that one sucked though as we lost all the dudes that were going hard on the front. The group never really got formed back up well.

I don't actually sync the phone with the Garmin. The weather feature might be nice, but think DC thought they didn't do a very good job with it. At least an early version. Don't know with the updates. My 800 actually died, so picked up an 810. Some of the organization is nicer, though I forget exactly where the 800 had some things. Don't know if an update changed this, but I love being able to slide the map around instead of just zoom in & out.

Having the route in the unit has been a fantastic help on many rides. One is for reasons you mentioned. I've seen 50+ people go right by a well marked turn on such rides, completely oblivious. If I miss, the unit says so. The 810 actually has the whole screen go black instead of just a little bar. Much easier to see. One issue that comes up every now and then is if a course loops back on itself or crosses over, it can get confused on which way to go. But at least I know I'm somewhere on the route and giving the route a once-over beforehand can help take care of that after stopping to look for a sec. Wonder if it has to do with the program used to make the route? Having the elevation profile has been very helpful too. I'll know if it's just a little hill or one of the beasts. Really can't see very far ahead on the wooded Wisconsin back roads. Garmin Connect actually does not have this for a planned route. Only for a ridden one that I "borrow". Ridewithgps and bikeroutetoaster do put in the elevation profile, however. Just another way Garmin needs to stay on their toes.

Alright, you guys almost have me convinced to get one with maps. DC Rainmaker has a link for an 800 for $279, but Garmin is also going to have a separate set of sales announced tomorrow. So I'll see if there's an equivalently good deal on the 810. I may run to the bike shop or REI just so I can look at the sizes in person. It's probably not a big deal seeing as it'll be mounted on the bike (probably with the Z4 BTA cage), but I do prefer something compact, so the 500 has that going for it...
2013-11-27 5:17 AM
in reply to: 0

Extreme Veteran
I may run to the bike shop or REI just so I can look at the sizes in person. It's probably not a big deal seeing as it'll be mounted on the bike (probably with the Z4 BTA cage), but I do prefer something compact, so the 500 has that going for it...

For me, the 800 just just just fits. The reason is that when I put it on you have to put in the mount then rotate 90 degrees. It fits fine once rotated, but it's tight when I insert it in the connector since the longer dimension is now between the bars. I'd have to draw a picture :-)

Edited by marcag 2013-11-27 5:17 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 149

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?

date : October 15, 2008
author : AMSSM
I've had shoulder problems since the very beginning of tri training. I did see an ortho who took x-rays and said I have a type II acromioin. I'd love to know some stretches to help my flexibility.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Courage
comments : 8
What is it that brought me to my knees one Sunday morning and then kicked me into a hole of self loathing and apparent depression? My apparent salvation was my old blue Fuji Royale II.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.