Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 149

2013-12-06 2:54 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Elite
Ontario
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN

After dumping the pull buoy for a long time, I'm actually back using it lately trying to work on the pull.  Combination of drills, paddles, and just swim with the buoy.  We'll see what happens.

2013-12-06 3:03 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Since we're talking about swimming, twitter-verse reporting that Gerry Rodrigues (re) posted the following from Matt Dixon.  Thoughts?

Retweeted Matt Dixon (@purplepatch): Triathletes (esp. weaker swimmers).There is little place for sculling, single-arm, catch up and other drills as a route to improve your swim

My .02 - I agree.  I think that a lot of time is spent worrying about drills and SWOLF etc. (especially on BT) and not enough time worrying about just swimming.  Sure, there are technique isues to be sorted out, but those (my ,02 only) aren't really sorted out by doing drills (possibly with bad form) on your own, but addressed by a swim coach specifically......

I think JorgeM was a great example of this.  Can't recall what his specific improvement was, but it was dramatic, and accomplished through yds.

I may be a bit biased though as I am not an adult onset swimmer, although I've seen underwater video of me, and there are clearly things to be done better

2013-12-06 3:20 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

I think drills have a place in swimming, even for triathletes, but I would agree in the sense that the main forums in BT puts way too much focus on technique.  Yes, you need some technique to get the basics of swimming...but once you have a general idea, and you have addressed your really obvious flaws, your time is much better focused on intensity and yardage.  Most triathlete swimmers don't have the engine to hold good form for the duration of our target races.  I'd say I slightly fall into that boat as well. 

Could I benefit from drills?  Sure...but most of my low hanging fruit is simply working on building swim fitness.  It's still a balance...and not either or...but just getting back to the statement that many triathletes put way too much stock in form/drills.

2013-12-06 4:02 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Elite
Ontario

I'll disagree somewhat.  Yes, you need volume to build a feel for the water, etc., but at the same time repeating the same bad habits over and over again with volume doesn't make you a better swimmer - just fitter.  I saw it time and time again at the driving range when I was pretty serious about golf.  Guys showing up with buckets and balls and just plastering them all over the place.  I'd be there forever methodically working on one or two things at a time, sometimes with a full swing, but a lot of the time on just part of the swing.  That's what frustrates me the most with swimming, I take a similar approach and it's not getting me where I want.  I've actually started doing more drills, and will see how that goes.  But I fully agree with Chris that if people do drills poorly then they would have been better off just swimming due to the wasted effort.

I'm really leaning towards a few sessions with a swim coach - but had one bad experience that resulted in no improvements, so I'm cautious about doing it again, although there is someone who has been referred this time.

2013-12-06 4:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by GoFaster

I'll disagree somewhat.  Yes, you need volume to build a feel for the water, etc., but at the same time repeating the same bad habits over and over again with volume doesn't make you a better swimmer - just fitter.  I saw it time and time again at the driving range when I was pretty serious about golf.  Guys showing up with buckets and balls and just plastering them all over the place.  I'd be there forever methodically working on one or two things at a time, sometimes with a full swing, but a lot of the time on just part of the swing.  That's what frustrates me the most with swimming, I take a similar approach and it's not getting me where I want.  I've actually started doing more drills, and will see how that goes.  But I fully agree with Chris that if people do drills poorly then they would have been better off just swimming due to the wasted effort.

I'm really leaning towards a few sessions with a swim coach - but had one bad experience that resulted in no improvements, so I'm cautious about doing it again, although there is someone who has been referred this time.

I don't do any drills anymore. If I have a bad catch and i don't know what I am doing wrong, what in a drill will correct this ?

Sure I can do finger drags but I matter as well just swim trying to do the same thing.

I suspect the bad habits you may have will be repeated in your drills as well

If I want to exaggerate/practice something specificI do it in the context of swimming, not doing drills.

I am sure you guys have seen this.

http://joelfilliol.blogspot.ca/2012/01/most-popular-post-on-this-bl...

"Technique matters, but the way most athletes try to improve technique doesn't work"
2013-12-06 4:22 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I'm kinda in the middle.  I don't think it's right to just do drills or work on balance etc.  I think that anytime you get in the pool you should leave feeling tired - like you've had a good solid workout (possible exception being a taper swim).  However I also don't think that just going and mindlessly pounding out the yardage (I can't say meterage...) is the way to go either.  For as long as I have been doing triathlon I have consistently seen two other triathletes at my pool and they are no faster today than they were 5 years ago in spite of the time they spend in the pool.  They just keep working on the same flawed stroke over and over.  They both swim 1:10 IMs, one of them missed a KQ by 2 mins a couple of summers ago.  The one and only time I offered unsolicited advice in the pool was to her by pointing out to her why she was so much faster with paddles.  She could easily drop 5 or more mins in her IM swim.  She thanked me very much and.....  I still see her doing the same thing.    She also swam another 1:10 this year.  

Marc mentioned earlier that he experimented with changing things in his stroke to see what worked better and did so by doing hundreds of 100s.  I think this is a good approach.  If you are going to do a drill, do it for a 25 or a 50 and then try to incorporate it into swimming.  Think about that specifically while doing the full stroke and even moreso when you get tired.  Experiment to see what works and what doesn't.  When you find what does, pay close attention to it when you get tired.

2013-12-06 4:38 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Neil, I guess the question is, without someone watching you, how do you know you are doing them right?

And I don't see it as it's hammer vs. drills.  I do a lot of swimming that isn't hammering.  But isn't drills.  I am sure there are a few technique fixes that could get me another 2 minutes in an IM.  I suppose if I was close to KQ i'd care but that will never happen.

Again, this is certainly my bias as a non-adult onset swimmer, and my bad habits were learned long ago (but as a water polo player, i never really got swimmer-fast anyway). 

Edited by ChrisM 2013-12-06 4:41 PM
2013-12-06 5:22 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

Many incorrectly separate fitness and technique (almost) entirely. That's just not true, they build together.

And with that, you do work on technique while also building fitness by swimming bunches of sets. Both advancing the technique and developing the fitness to maintain it. The reverse, however, is generally not going to happen. You're not really going to build much of any fitness by doing drills. Some quote wanting to be "efficient". You're not going to get the efficiency of a high level swimmer without also pushing the fitness part.

Edited by brigby1 2013-12-06 5:24 PM
2013-12-06 5:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

As a non-fish (never really swam for time until a year ago), I have a couple observations.  Not recommendations, mind you...

I've been approaching this by trying to be "mindful" on every single lap of some part of technique.  So, I'm not doing drills, per se.  Rather, if I swim a mile continuously (I know, this goes against all the recommendations I have read that say it's wasted effort, but it works for me), I'll focus for a 100 on catch, then a 100 on keeping my butt as close to out of the water as I can, then a 100 on rotation, then a hundred on head position, then a 100 with sighting… etc.

I will often swim longer sets (mile at a time, or out and back across a pond), but I don't consider any of those yards as "junk yards," as I'm pretty much always thinking of form and often work some good intensity into the long sets (like HIM or Oly pace).  I have had the kids video me underwater (OK, it was a tiny bit self serving to get them cameras that were waterproof last Christmas) , and that DEFINITELY helps to dial in what I focus on.  However, it's within the context of a swim workout, not a separate focus.

I even do this with interval training (if I am doing just 100's or 400's or a ladder or whatever, that's the workout, but every single lap I'm at least thinking about some part of my form).  The catch and my elbow are what I focus on most often, but I rotate through different things I've picked up from books/other swimmers/videos, etc.

In a year, it's taken me from a leg draggin' sloth to perhaps a yeti that can swim.  Not saying it will work for others, but it has allowed me to improve my form while getting my yardage in without spending a ton of time on drills (I'm as time crunched as anyone else).  My times have definitely dropped a ton in a year.

Happy to clarify further if the above is rambling (two beers into a very nice Friday with the family!).

Matt

2013-12-06 6:52 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Any technical peeps here?  I bought a samsung flat screen for the trainer room.   It's got a usb output, and rca plugs, but no headphone plug.  Is there a way to connect headphones?  I am pretty technically un-savvy, so not sure how it would be done......Season 3 of Walking Dead waiting for my winter training rides....

2013-12-06 6:58 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2013-12-06 7:04 PM
in reply to: TSimone

Thanks.   Didn't know that.  I'd be afraid that I'd destroy the headphones like that with sweat?

Unfortunately tv not wireless

2013-12-06 7:12 PM

2013-12-06 7:20 PM
in reply to: TSimone

2013-12-06 7:25 PM

Master
...at home in The ATL
Chris - I would take sound from whatever device you are using to send your signal to the TV and not use TV volume.
Alternatively (if you have sound out on the TV via RCA) you could just use a split RCA to 3.5mm female. You can then connect that to anything you want, including a powered bluetooth transmitter.
2013-12-06 8:41 PM

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ChrisM

Any technical peeps here?  I bought a samsung flat screen for the trainer room.   It's got a usb output, and rca plugs, but no headphone plug.  Is there a way to connect headphones?  I am pretty technically un-savvy, so not sure how it would be done......Season 3 of Walking Dead waiting for my winter training rides....

Also, a pair of USB speakers with a headphone jack will also work. That's what my son got.

I finally installed RacerMate One on the CT. I then rode Real Video of IM arizona for an hour

I watched the MTV 2013 Countdown. Not sure what was more painful, the ride or the countdown.

2013-12-07 11:56 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by TankBoy Chris - I would take sound from whatever device you are using to send your signal to the TV and not use TV volume. Alternatively (if you have sound out on the TV via RCA) you could just use a split RCA to 3.5mm female. You can then connect that to anything you want, including a powered bluetooth transmitter.

Was going to suggest this.

Something sure has been going right. 304 NP for just about 2 hrs this morning. Done to ISLAGIATT.

2013-12-07 2:19 PM
in reply to: brigby1

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by TankBoy Chris - I would take sound from whatever device you are using to send your signal to the TV and not use TV volume. Alternatively (if you have sound out on the TV via RCA) you could just use a split RCA to 3.5mm female. You can then connect that to anything you want, including a powered bluetooth transmitter.

Something sure has been going right. 304 NP for just about 2 hrs this morning. Done to ISLAGIATT.

Holy cow Before reading this I was pretty happy with my 2:00 trainer ride with 2 x :30 at 270. Utterly done after that. Raining here
2013-12-08 12:34 AM
in reply to: brigby1

Originally posted by brigby1

Did you do that trick Marc mentioned where you put your quarq in the freezer, calibrated it, then warmed it back up before riding?  I can't even fathom that.

My totally newbie (I even screwed the date up within the first 5 seconds) attempt at GoPro video on the bike with telemetry overlay from my Garmin.  Syncing up the data was the easy part if you believe that.  Cutting down 29 minutes of video into something more watchable was what took the most time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsJwpkaWdOE&feature=youtu.be

2013-12-08 5:28 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Cool video Jason!  Is it just me or was there some sketchy looking pavement near the end on the 40 mph descent???

Also, based on what I saw it looks like the whole ride was somewhere between 300-500 watts.  

2013-12-08 6:51 AM
in reply to: axteraa

Elite
PEI, Canada

I'm not sure if others have been watching but Yanti is quietly making her way to the finish of IMWA!  8k to go with the clock at 14:25.

http://tracking.ironmanlive.com/newathlete.php?rid=1143240059&race=westernaustralia&bib=703&v=3.0&beta=&1386463500

2013-12-08 7:50 AM

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by axteraa

I'm not sure if others have been watching but Yanti is quietly making her way to the finish of IMWA!  8k to go with the clock at 14:25.

http://tracking.ironmanlive.com/newathlete.php?rid=1143240059&race=westernaustralia&bib=703&v=3.0&beta=&1386463500

I don't want to watch. I don't want to jinx her,
2013-12-08 7:51 AM

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Jason N

My totally newbie (I even screwed the date up within the first 5 seconds) attempt at GoPro video on the bike with telemetry overlay from my Garmin.  Syncing up the data was the easy part if you believe that.  Cutting down 29 minutes of video into something more watchable was what took the most time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsJwpkaWdOE&feature=youtu.be

I need to get a GoPro.
When I do, I promise you a video of running in a snowstorm.
2013-12-08 7:52 AM
in reply to: marcag

Elite
PEI, Canada

You can look now, she's done in 15:49!

2013-12-08 8:05 AM

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by axteraa

You can look now, she's done in 15:49!

Woohooo!!! Congratulations !!

Looks like Raelert continues his streak of bad luck
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 149

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?

date : October 15, 2008
author : AMSSM
I've had shoulder problems since the very beginning of tri training. I did see an ortho who took x-rays and said I have a type II acromioin. I'd love to know some stretches to help my flexibility.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Courage
comments : 8
What is it that brought me to my knees one Sunday morning and then kicked me into a hole of self loathing and apparent depression? My apparent salvation was my old blue Fuji Royale II.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.