in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN
Originally posted by ligersandtions

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by mndymond It snowed 35cm here yesterday....today's run may end up a snowshoe or ski...it's only -2C so that's a bonus. So much snowwwwww. The PG city workers may strike...which means no aquatic/fitness center if they do....apparently swimming is not an essential service?

Wow, 35cm is a LOT!

-29c this AM in Ottawa -29c is the temperature on Mars as well. Just so you have a reference

This whole snow and negative temperatures thing just baffles me -- no idea how you guys deal with it.

For reference, my house feels frigid these days.  I heat it to 68F when I'm home (only because I'm cheap....if I weren't so cheap, I'd probably heat it to 78F).  The last few trainer rides have been absolutely miserable -- once I heat up and start sweating, I turn on one of my fans, which then blows this frigid air at me, and I promptly begin to freeze (have goosebumps and body just feels awful).  So I turn the fan off till I get too hot, then turn it back on....rinse and repeat.

In contrast, in the summer, I don't cool my house unless it gets above 90F (partly because I'm cheap, but partly because I just don't find it uncomfortable being in the mid- to high-80's). 

But winter?  Eff that!

Seriously. I can't believe we are going to have to listen to this whining about the cold for the next 9 or 10 months.....

2013-12-12 3:03 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Just give me a few more weeks to adjust and I swear I'm stop!  Or at least do less of it...  

But since I don't have to stop yet, I'll just add that today's run was one of the more miserable experiences of my life.

2013-12-12 3:09 PM
in reply to: Fred D

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Originally posted by Fred D  All apple products for our family.

My 10 shares of AAPL thank you :-)

2013-12-12 3:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by TankBoy

Seriously. I can't believe we are going to have to listen to this whining about the cold for the next 9 or 10 months.....

We aren't complaining. We are sharing the training secrets of the World Champion SBR smackdown.

Like Drago. Remember ?
2013-12-12 4:10 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Totally apropos of nothing....  i got the pain cave audio set up (thanks guys) and started watching Falling Skies on amazon prime.  I never watched it but it's actually pretty good.  An alien version of Walking Dead, really.   I recommend it fro drainer rides

2013-12-12 4:56 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2013-12-12 5:50 PM

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ChrisM

Totally apropos of nothing....  i got the pain cave audio set up (thanks guys) and started watching Falling Skies on amazon prime.  I never watched it but it's actually pretty good.  An alien version of Walking Dead, really.   I recommend it fro drainer rides

What software are you using on the CT. I finally installed RacerMate 1. Much better than the old version
2013-12-12 6:03 PM

What software are you using on the CT. I finally installed RacerMate 1. Much better than the old version

Ha, I have racermate 1 still sitting in the envelope.  Unless I am testing i use 100% erg mode.  I forgot and did all my testing this seson on the "old" stuff.  Worked fne for that.  I need to buy a new laptop so waiting for that before I install the discs.

2013-12-12 6:22 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by TankBoy Seriously. I can't believe we are going to have to listen to this whining about the cold for the next 9 or 10 months.....
We aren't complaining. We are sharing the training secrets of the World Champion SBR smackdown. Like Drago. Remember ?

I even said I wish there had been a workout scheduled where there was time off in it.

2013-12-12 6:33 PM

Extreme Veteran

Ha, I have racermate 1 still sitting in the envelope.  Unless I am testing i use 100% erg mode.  I forgot and did all my testing this seson on the "old" stuff.  Worked fne for that.  I need to buy a new laptop so waiting for that before I install the discs.

Ergmode using the coaching software or the little handlebar controller ?
The coaching s/w in Racermate is much better. For one it handles windows much better which allows playing movies/netflix at the same time, much better.

I finally installed the cadence sensor as well just to see if I can see any left/right leg differences with the spinscan. Just for hoots.
2013-12-12 6:58 PM

Ergmode using the coaching software or the little handlebar controller ? The coaching s/w in Racermate is much better. For one it handles windows much better which allows playing movies/netflix at the same time, much better. I finally installed the cadence sensor as well just to see if I can see any left/right leg differences with the spinscan. Just for hoots.

handlebar controller.  Also never used the cadence sensor or spin scan, lol

2013-12-13 1:04 AM
in reply to: TSimone

Originally posted by TSimone

Sweet.  I'm currently building my pain cave as part of my larger basement finishing job.  Will be nice to have some space dedicated to that.  Just enough to get my trainer/bike, treadmill and TRX in there.  I started watching Falling Skies when it first came out and kind of lost interest.  No real reason why.  I may go back and pick it up, but I normally just watch a movie or play some iTunes stuff. 

I've got my pain cave set up already...those of you on FB may have already seen it today.  For the rest of you...I'll spare you the details. 

2013-12-13 5:27 AM
in reply to: Jason N

2013-12-13 7:57 AM
in reply to: TSimone

Veteran
Austin, Texas

I think we're going to re-do the basement this winter.  Very psyched to have a new setup for the drainer and mill, but not looking forward to hearing about my bike being set up in the LR while we do the work.    

As for weather, it's up into the teens today!  Effective temp is now also above zero - score!  

I wonder how to convert snow-shoe times to run paces… maybe if I use metric?

M

2013-12-13 8:01 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Anyone hear anything about the Powerbeam Pro?  A friend just got one to replace her CT and is all kinds of happy about it (gotta love tri-geekery!) by comparison.

I've been thinking about replacing my 10 y.o. cyclops for a while now (but haven't, as it works after all, and I'm a yankee), but she's almost too excited about this thing for me not to wonder...

??

Matt

2013-12-13 8:53 AM
in reply to: 0

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Anyone hear anything about the Powerbeam Pro?  A friend just got one to replace her CT and is all kinds of happy about it (gotta love tri-geekery!) by comparison.

I've been thinking about replacing my 10 y.o. cyclops for a while now (but haven't, as it works after all, and I'm a yankee), but she's almost too excited about this thing for me not to wonder...

??

Matt

My only concern with the Powerbeam pro is the popularity it will see in the future and the impact of a lack of popularity.

I expressed this in the past, I think these fancy trainers are becoming a hardware platform that will evolve separately from the software platform. The hardware will be built by the CT, Wahoo, Cycleops....vendors and the SW will come from TR, PerfPro, GC, Giro...the one Rusty showed us, Ergvideo, and many more will come

I will become Hardware Platform and independent software vendors and software services.

These software vendors will support the more popular platforms first. I think Kickr is the hot platform and CT is the huge installed base. I think these guys have a huge advantage over the Powerbeams or Tacx or others.

Very much a personal opinion.

The future of some of these services is very very interesting. GoPros, social media, cloud, google....are all ingredients to a very cool future

Beats -27c this morning, but we are not complaining, we have all these cool services

Edited by marcag 2013-12-13 8:54 AM

2013-12-13 12:30 PM

2013-12-13 12:33 PM

Still struggling with the foot.  Coming up on three weeks no running.  I am swimming 2X to maintain, and riding 5X week to build bike fitness, but getting frustrated.

2013-12-13 12:35 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

That is a good, interesting thread.

Swim and a short run for me today.  Wind is down considerably from yesterday so much more tolerable.

2013-12-13 12:36 PM

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Fred D

I don't know if anyone here has been following the HS swimming thread in TT? Pretty interesting. I think most triathletes would be amazed and humbled by the yardage and times 9-12 year olds put down. I had a decent swim today and was going to run, but legs are feeling tired, so will probably rest as I didn't get much sleep with work last night. Anyone else training?

Jordan wrote quite a bit about his training with a kids swim team and keeping up with the 15 year olds. A pro triathlete and 15 year olds.

My swimming is coming along. I am a good 4s/100m faster. I am starting to learn to suffer properly.

All I need to do is heal this achilles and learn to suffer on the bike.

2013-12-13 12:39 PM

Just my usual commute to work today.  Longer rides this weekend, but will hold back a smidge on the effort to avoid going overboard on the TSS this week.  I'll be mainly fussing with my coworker's gopro.

Steady at around 160 right now...and trying to fathom how I'm going to make it through the next two weeks.  I've got holiday lunches, brunches, and dinners stacked almost everyday.

2013-12-13 1:48 PM

Master
...at home in The ATL
I actually got in the water yesterday for the first time in probably there months.It surprisingly was not horrible. Early run this morning, then about 6 hours of car travel to and from a meeting out of state - just finished up and headed home. For the Canadians in the group you will be happy to learn that the temp was a balmy -3c for my run which is highly unusual for this time of the year here. I suppose I should have kept my mouth shut earlier. There was no wind so I actually got a little sweaty. Suppose to race a 5k tomorrow but the weather is reporting +1c and pouring rain at the start time, so I will most likely scratch that and be on the trainer.

Fred, I look forward to reading the swim with HS thread when I get home. While I don't get to swim with high schoolers I do train with with our university tri team which is packed with swimmers that would be on the collegiate team had they decided to go to school pretty much anywhere else but Auburn.... It is truly a whole other ball game for those kids.
2013-12-13 2:14 PM

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

I will jump on the swim bandwagon!

I have really been making some really nice improvement in the pool.  I am hitting splits that I never have before.  A really good feeling at this point in the year.  Hopefully I can continue to make improvement but stringing some 10K+ weeks has really really helped.

2013-12-13 2:17 PM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by TankBoy I actually got in the water yesterday for the first time in probably there months.It surprisingly was not horrible. Early run this morning, then about 6 hours of car travel to and from a meeting out of state - just finished up and headed home. For the Canadians in the group you will be happy to learn that the temp was a balmy -3c for my run which is highly unusual for this time of the year here. I suppose I should have kept my mouth shut earlier. There was no wind so I actually got a little sweaty. Suppose to race a 5k tomorrow but the weather is reporting +1c and pouring rain at the start time, so I will most likely scratch that and be on the trainer. Fred, I look forward to reading the swim with HS thread when I get home. While I don't get to swim with high schoolers I do train with with our university tri team which is packed with swimmers that would be on the collegiate team had they decided to go to school pretty much anywhere else but Auburn.... It is truly a whole other ball game for those kids.

Which is why I played water polo instead of being on the swim team (they tried, one season, to make us all swim.  It didn't go well... I don't even remember the events I swam).  It was much more fun pounding the cr@p out of eachother underwater than swimming laps.  I fondly remember tight rubber speedos so the opposing side couldn't get a grip on them (and eitehr pull you under or pull them off completely.....).

good times

Edited by ChrisM 2013-12-13 2:17 PM
2013-12-13 5:33 PM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by Fred D

I don't know if anyone here has been following the HS swimming thread in TT? Pretty interesting. I think most triathletes would be amazed and humbled by the yardage and times 9-12 year olds put down. I had a decent swim today and was going to run, but legs are feeling tired, so will probably rest as I didn't get much sleep with work last night. Anyone else training?

I just read that. Interesting.......

I can't help but wounder how some of us would have turned out as swimmers, if we had been trained like this as kids.

btw Is this group going for a Season III?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 149

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?

date : October 15, 2008
author : AMSSM
I've had shoulder problems since the very beginning of tri training. I did see an ortho who took x-rays and said I have a type II acromioin. I'd love to know some stretches to help my flexibility.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Courage
comments : 8
What is it that brought me to my knees one Sunday morning and then kicked me into a hole of self loathing and apparent depression? My apparent salvation was my old blue Fuji Royale II.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.