BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2014-01-10 6:01 AM
in reply to: juneapple

User image

Dublin, Ohio
Subject: RE: Not what I wanted to hear...
Does anyone else swim and think of little "Scottisms"? I keep thinking to reach for the wall and work on form. Love it!

2014-01-10 8:26 AM
in reply to: wsummerhill

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Originally posted by wsummerhill

Does anyone else swim and think of little "Scottisms"? I keep thinking to reach for the wall and work on form. Love it!

Absolutely. I use the "reach for the wall" every time out. The other "Scottism" I use I think came from one of his blogs where he talked about the idea of thinking about the hands using an underwater ladder than is running directly under you and you use it to pull yourself along. Great visualization.

Thanks, Scott!

Steve
2014-01-10 8:36 AM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Good morning!

Dave --- bummer.  As others have said just listen to the docs.

I will be saying little "Scottisms" in the pool today.  Specifically reach for the wall and "thumb hip".  

Yucky, rainy day here.  I am hoping that it does not continue and mess the group ride I had planned on tomorrow.  I'm not a big fan of riding on wet roads for training purposes.

I think I have finally turned the tide on food cravings this week.  I've managed to walk past free muffins, donuts, and even candy canes without picking one up.  I hope this extends into the weekend.  

2014-01-10 9:38 AM
in reply to: hoffsquared

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Originally posted by hoffsquared

I will be saying little "Scottisms" in the pool today.  Specifically reach for the wall and "thumb hip".  

Exactly. Interspersed with "bubbles, bubbles, bubbles, BREATH; bubbles, bubbles, bubbles, BREATH"
2014-01-10 12:16 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Originally posted by wsummerhill Does anyone else swim and think of little "Scottisms"? I keep thinking to reach for the wall and work on form. Love it!
Yes, I mix Scott-isms (reach for the wall) with other specific things I have been told over the years (head up, water line at goggle line....don't over rotate....kick......don't pull until your head is back in neutral and you 'see" the arm out front)  One day all that stuff will be second nature....

2014-01-10 1:18 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Regular
Subject: dryland hip work
Thx for link to strength running "cannonball routine" is on my laptop. Great music btw. I think a musician Jimmy Lafave put words to that music and recorded it on an album.

Melanie thx for core w/o with medicine ball...like that also.

Soccermom do tell us more specifics about your hip rehab. PM me if its not of interest to enough people here.

Is anyone else interested in more specifics on hips??

Scott glad to hear your family is recovering adequately.

Lastly, I made first measurable progress with my freestyle since i can't remember when.

Took two strokes of my 25 without losing any time. whopee! speed is just around the corner...........

I am so encouraged and inspired....i needed a little self esteem boost for my swimming.

Its cycling weather here....enjoying my new look pedals and shoes. Like wayy better than spd's.

2014-01-10 3:12 PM
in reply to: dustytrails

User image

Expert
Missouri
Subject: RE: dryland hip work

Originally posted by dustytrails Thx for link to strength running "cannonball routine" is on my laptop. Great music btw. I think a musician Jimmy Lafave put words to that music and recorded it on an album. Melanie thx for core w/o with medicine ball...like that also. Soccermom do tell us more specifics about your hip rehab. PM me if its not of interest to enough people here. Is anyone else interested in more specifics on hips?? Scott glad to hear your family is recovering adequately. Lastly, I made first measurable progress with my freestyle since i can't remember when. Took two strokes of my 25 without losing any time. whopee! speed is just around the corner........... I am so encouraged and inspired....i needed a little self esteem boost for my swimming. Its cycling weather here....enjoying my new look pedals and shoes. Like wayy better than spd's.

My hip problem actually started out as a pain in my calf.  I was doing a track workout with a group from the LRS and they had a chiropractor there to stretch people out and help with any issues.  So I talked to them and he told me that it was actually a nerve entrapment in my hip that was the problem.  So I went to see him a couple of times a week for ART for several months and I seemed to be OK.  A year later (this past spring) the problems started again.  So I went back to him and we started the ART treatments again but he also said the problem would return unless I strengthened and "evened out" my lower body.  That's when he recommended the trainer I went to.  I did 10 sessions with the trainer (would have done more but couldn't afford it).  He did an evaluation on the first day to see where my imbalances were.  We did a lot of lunges, squats, balance work, core work - some with weights, some without.  I wish I could remember more of the exercises. I'll try to come up with a list of some this weekend in case anyone is interested.
Janet

2014-01-10 3:22 PM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Champion
Bronze member

We did a lot of lunges, squats, balance work, core work - some with weights, some without.  I wish I could remember more of the exercises. I'll try to come up with a list of some this weekend in case anyone is interested.
Janet

Oh yes! Please!

2014-01-10 7:04 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by wsummerhill Does anyone else swim and think of little "Scottisms"? I keep thinking to reach for the wall and work on form. Love it!

Thank you Wendy!  I am touched.  "Scottisms" made my day.  Glad they help.

2014-01-10 7:12 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by lutzman

The other "Scottism" I use I think came from one of his blogs where he talked about the idea of thinking about the hands using an underwater ladder than is running directly under you and you use it to pull yourself along. Great visualization.

Thanks, Scott! Steve

Thank you for that feedback Steve.  I have been using the 'ladder analogy' for a couple years now and have often wondered if it actually helped to understand the catch better or if it just created more confusion.

2014-01-10 7:18 PM
in reply to: DJP_19

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by DJP_19
Originally posted by hoffsquared

Exactly. Interspersed with "bubbles, bubbles, bubbles, BREATH; bubbles, bubbles, bubbles, BREATH"

Hi Dave,

I am going to steal that phrase. One of the most consistent problems I see, especially with newer swimmers, is that they don't exhale underwater, which generally leads to all kinds of technique problems.  "Bubbles, bubbles, bubbles, BREATH; bubbles, bubbles, bubbles, BREATH" is just so much better than 'exhale underwater.'

Thanks!

2014-01-10 8:13 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Originally posted by dustytrails Thx for link to strength running "cannonball routine" is on my laptop. Great music btw. I think a musician Jimmy Lafave put words to that music and recorded it on an album. Melanie thx for core w/o with medicine ball...like that also. Soccermom do tell us more specifics about your hip rehab. PM me if its not of interest to enough people here. Is anyone else interested in more specifics on hips?? Scott glad to hear your family is recovering adequately. Lastly, I made first measurable progress with my freestyle since i can't remember when. Took two strokes of my 25 without losing any time. whopee! speed is just around the corner........... I am so encouraged and inspired....i needed a little self esteem boost for my swimming. Its cycling weather here....enjoying my new look pedals and shoes. Like wayy better than spd's.

I have a series I did after I tore my hop flexors.  Can't find it at the moment but I'll look for it.

found:

Lie on your side, perpendicular to the floor, fully straight ankle at 90 degrees, parallel to floor. Raise upper leg about 3 inches and hold it there throughout:

1) raise lower leg toward ceiling 3 inches & return 5x

2) pull foot up axis of body, flexing hip & knee 5x

3) leg raises ~10 inches

4) bicycle 2-3 inches from upper leg

5) point toes, do leg circles clockwise and counterclockwise

repeat all on the other side.

Clam shells are good too, lunges and walking lunges with a resistance band are good. Use a resistance band and do duck walkouts

We did box step ups with a resistance belt on the other night ....wowsa that was some kind of hip flexor action!

Edited by QueenZipp 2014-01-10 8:15 PM
2014-01-10 8:36 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by QueenZipp

Yes, I mix Scott-isms (reach for the wall) with other specific things I have been told over the years (head up, water line at goggle line....don't over rotate....kick......don't pull until your head is back in neutral and you 'see" the arm out front)  One day all that stuff will be second nature....

Hi Judi,

I would like to make a couple observations.  If you currently have a coach telling you the things you wrote down, I will ALWAYS defer to the coach on deck.  That said however, a couple of your comments kind of set off an alarm bell, well, at least a caution bell and since they are common technique flaws I thought I would chat about them for a moment.

Quoting the segments from your post:

"Head up, water line at goggle line" - I would argue that if you hold your head high enough that the water line is even with the goggle line, your head is too high in the water.  Remember as a triathlete, your freestyle stroke should be efficient and focus on conservation of energy.  Holding your head up that high will put pressure on the neck, shoulder, and back muscles.  It takes a fair amount of energy to hold your head up that high.  I generally have the waterline just about even with my hairline, only a couple inches, but it takes a great deal of pressure off the upper core.  Also, carrying your head that high will cause the legs to drop, which 'applies the brakes.'  My suggestion would be to try lowering your head just a little bit to where the water line is closer to your hairline.

"Don't over rotate" - I rarely see anyone actually over-rotate.  If someone does have a problem with over-rotation, it is typically to the breathing side and most frequently the swimmer does not breath to both sides.  I don't know if that applies to you or not.  Learning to bi-laterally breath (breath to both sides) generally will eliminate any over-rotation problem.  Alternatively, just concentrate on even, symmetrical body rotation.

"Kick" - I will address kicking in a separate post later this evening or tomorrow morning.

"Don't pull until your head is back in neutral and you 'see' the arm out front" - If you precisely follow the first half of that statement, your timing will be wrong and your stroke will not be very powerful or efficient.  Let me try and explain why.  We will look at two different things here - the pull and breathing.  When you are not taking a breath, your head should be stationary, meaning in a fixed position, basically looking at the bottom of the pool, what most coaches call the neutral position.  When it's time to take that pesky breath, your head rotates with your shoulders.  Now, let's jump over and look at your arms/hands while your taking that breath.  As your hand enters the water, body rotation helps your hand get to full extension.  Indeed, you perform the catch as your hand reaches full extension.  Your shoulders are at maximum rotation at that point, and because your head follows your shoulder when you breath, you would actually be at 'mid-breath' when you begin your pull. If you wait until your head returns to the 'neutral' position before you begin your catch/pull, you have to put a pretty significant hitch in your giddy-up.  You have to pause and glide and as you do that, you unload your shoulder rotation.  That reduces the length of your stroke by several inches, for me it would be over a foot.  More importantly, as you unload your shoulder rotation, you disengage the back and core muscles so your stroke will not be near as powerful.  The timing of your stroke should key off of body rotation - when you get to full extension, which occurs at maximum body rotation, you begin the catch and pull - and your breathing should key off of shoulder rotation.  Seeing 'the arm out front' is really kind of a moot issue.  You start the stroke at full extension, if you can't see your hand when you start your stroke, then your hand is likely too deep.

If your timing is what you wrote about, this is going to feel a bit awkward the first couple times you try it.  If you get the timing correct, you will be considerably faster and you will feel like your using less energy (because you will be fully engaging the back and core muscles which are much more powerful than your shoulder muscles).

Again I will say, I don't know if this all applies to you or not as I haven't seen you in the water.  Just basing it on what you wrote in your post.

Edited by k9car363 2014-01-10 8:55 PM
2014-01-10 8:48 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Originally posted by k9car363

The other "Scottism" I use I think came from one of his blogs where he talked about the idea of thinking about the hands using an underwater ladder than is running directly under you and you use it to pull yourself along. Great visualization.

Thanks, Scott! Steve

Thank you for that feedback Steve.  I have been using the 'ladder analogy' for a couple years now and have often wondered if it actually helped to understand the catch better or if it just created more confusion.

It's all great info. One of these days Scott my travels will get me to S. California. I would really enjoy the opportunity to meet you at the pool. But right now, all my trips are east/southeast.

Steve
2014-01-10 9:10 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by k9car363

Thanks, Scott! Steve

It's all great info. One of these days Scott my travels will get me to S. California. I would really enjoy the opportunity to meet you at the pool. But right now, all my trips are east/southeast. Steve

I would enjoy that also.  I'd be honored to spend an hour or two with you in the pool.

2014-01-11 7:33 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: My swim issues

Thanks Scott,

I typically have my head too low, I have been told I bury it.  So I think they are exaggerating how high I should have my head so I *might* get it to the hair line.

I do bilaterally breathe---but I tend to over rotate with one side and don't always keep kicking when I am breathing.  Almost every one I have worked with has observed this so I have to keep at it.  My kick is fair the rest of the time but I tend to "kick for balance" as opposed to "kick for power"

I will give the "climbing ladder" some thought in my swims this weekend.  

I don't consistently swim with the Master's class at my gym for several reasons--we can't keep a consistent coach and the one I used to adore (and gave me the best feedback) moved.  The people they have on deck post workouts but don't offer a lot of feedback for improvement.  They just stand around doing fluff stuff for the hour.

There is a great swim group from a guy in my tri club but I can't afford the sessions and he is way out of my way to get to.  He got my water phobic friend through a HIM last year and she's planning 2 HIM and IMLOU this year. He's done some swim clinics with the tri club that I have attended and I get a lot from those sessions.

2014-01-11 9:28 AM

User image

Connecticut
Originally posted by trytritryguy Well I just got back from my visit with the Ortho to follow up from a MRI I had on Monday. The result was what I anticipated but was hoping to hear something different. I have a meniscus tear on the knee and will need a procedure done to repair it.I had this done in Feb 2012 to the same knee and was bummed when it started bothering me again in Nov/Dec. 2013. This is what has delayed me in firming up my 2014 plans and now I feel a major setback starting off the new year. I am hoping to schedule the surgery as soon as possible so I can get back to training. If I remember correctly I think it was about 6-8 weeks of PT before they cleared me to begin running again. Has anyone else had this experience? Dave (TTTG)

Thanks for the support and comments. I am not going to let this get me down. I am trying to get the surgery date as soon as possible. Unfortunately I have a few work commitments that are going to get in the way(darn job is always in the way of tri priorities Yes, I hope to get earlier clearance for swimming before the 6-8 weeks and with Scott's terriffic swim commentary, I see this as an oppurtunity to improve my swimming exponentiely.
2014-01-11 9:30 AM
in reply to: trytritryguy

User image

Connecticut
Hope everyone has a great training weekend!!!
2014-01-11 7:33 PM

great tips, I enjoy reading your input here!!
2014-01-12 6:55 AM
in reply to: lclemmy4

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Challenge update

Weekly total 806 minutes workouts.

2.6 lbs. lost.

2014-01-12 7:18 AM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Originally posted by QueenZipp

Weekly total 806 minutes workouts.

2.6 lbs. lost.

Woah... we've got a new force to be reckoned with for the Black Dog mug - great week, Judi!

2014-01-12 7:58 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Yesterday was a rainy day here.  I headed out for a run when there was a lull but stopped after about 5 minutes.  My heel had been bothering me all morning and after running 5 minutes I decided that a run would be a bad idea.  I had PF a while ago and never want to go through that again.  So I did a bike trainer session instead.  Looks like I will be wearing my boot at night for a few days.

Today's run is in serious jeopardy.  I am up a bit late after having had to much to drink last night.  I should never have more than two glasses of wine over the course of an evening since the third usually (always?) leads to more.  But it was a fun evening.

Anyways, I've got to shuttle a novice highway driver to her drum line practice.  She's not done much highway driving and the way there is almost all highway.  She'll drive there, I come back...then I go there, and she will drive back.  Big chunk of time gone - poof.  At least, the rest of the season she can drive herself.

I hope everyone has a nice day. 

2014-01-12 9:36 AM
in reply to: hoffsquared

User image

Champion
Bronze member

300 minutes training. 0 wt loss.

Go Judi! You are a force!

2014-01-12 9:42 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Champion
Bronze member

I am going on vacation this week so I'll be late posting for next week. Hopefully I will keep up with training, I have good intentions, but I am making no huge promises.

2014-01-12 10:02 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

first official week- lost 2.4pounds = 24 points (I'm assuming we get credit for all weight lost) plus 5hr 35min exercise =11 points for a total of 35 points. I hope my calculations were correct.
My issue this week was not eating enough, I 've discovered and I was fatigued too much. I've corrected my finess pal net calories and will see how that works. I want to lose weight but still have energy to workout. I wasn't adding in my exercise time to my calorie count and that was a mistake. Good thing is, I get to eat more.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by triguy1043
Views: 18747 Posts: 190

2014-04-02 11:34 AM lsousa
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 24, 2012
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 3
I didn’t used to like to run slow. You begin to recalibrate your needs and wants and if-only you could jog an easy two miles, three times per week. Running is a gift.

date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete
date : December 4, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
She's back. We were able to interview Deanna Babcock, a triathlete who galvanized the forums over several months with her story of a tragic accident and subsequent recovery.

date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.
date : February 8, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 25
No one likes to look like a fool, but it’s hard not to when you don’t know what you’re doing as a beginner, so if it helps, go ahead and pretend.

date : May 30, 2005
author : pjsuperhawk
Maintaining a positive attitude and a sense of priority will be my keys to success. Before summer fades into fall, I will be a Triathlete and eager to race again.
date : October 3, 2004
author : scuba-punk
He looked at us and flat out told us that he wouldn't accept any of us as his students at a technical diving level with the poor level of physical fitness we had.

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.