BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 103

2014-01-10 2:41 PM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors New Year 2014--OPEN

Ok runny peeps.  Starting to shop for new shoes as my Adistar Rides seem to have been discontinued...  What is a 2mm drop difference likely to do.  Am I going to feel it?  from 10mm to 12 mm.  Ideas?

2014-01-10 2:43 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by QueenZipp

Hey Manatees!!

GO, GO, GO to all the racing Manatees!

I am thinking about doing a bike focus this year--the whole marathon thing has really ruined my legs and love for running--I now run for the pragmatic need to in triathlon and the fact that it's still a good cardio workout.....I want to do a weekend ride that has a metric century over each of 2 days in September......I have plenty of time to get my butt used to being in the saddle and Jorge's winter plan is getting me there......Thing is, I am having pain in the front part of my right knee with almost every trainer ride.  I have never had pain in my knees while on the bike before.  Sweet Mama has never given me issues before and my fit on her is pretty decent.....Thoughts?  Move a cleat position?  Change the saddle a touch?

I don't know what the mechanics are exactly but I always have knee issues when a lot of trainer rides or spin classes but I never (knock wood) have issues when I do my rides outside.  Clearly, at least for me, something changes in the my pedal stroke and I am apply the force in a different way inside versus outside.  I figure that it's similar to running on a treadmill not being the exact same as running outside.

This is the same for me - trainer rides have always given me some unhappy knee issues, but as soon as I start riding outside again they magically go away.  I'm not sure exactly what it is that's changing (pedal stroke, placement of force, etc.) but something certainly is.  

All that's happened for me is with big gear & low cadence, but hasn't been an issue for awhile. Will keep thinking though.

2014-01-10 2:46 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by bcraht

Originally posted by rrrunner

Go racers go!!!!!!!!

Monica, stay warm and run like the wind!

Erin, wish I was joining you in the Papago. But it's that darned off-road thing, ya know?

Lana, Swim like a Manatee, Ride like ya stole it, and Run like the wind (and don't swallow duck droppings)

HAPPY FRIDAY ALL! 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!  Oh TJ, that made me smile!

Firstly, I'm in Chi-beria so staying warm is pretty much off the table from the get-go.  Secondly... run like the wind??  I don't think I've ever done any such thing... nor am I capable of any such thing!  How about I bundle up to the point that I can't put my arms down or resemble the Stay-Puff Marshmallow Man and plod along at my usual frozen molasses pace until I get to the finish line?  That, I can do!  

Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man.  If you one is going to reference Ghostbusters...one must get it right!

I am duly shamed by my grievous mistake to the Ghostbusters reference.  I shall do 2 minutes of penance for my erroneous quoting and thus shall be absolved of this most heinous crime against Ghostbuster fans around the globe.  

... okay, that's gotta be 2 minutes, can I come out and play now??  

/penalty

WOOT!  

2014-01-10 2:50 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Ok runny peeps.  Starting to shop for new shoes as my Adistar Rides seem to have been discontinued...  What is a 2mm drop difference likely to do.  Am I going to feel it?  from 10mm to 12 mm.  Ideas?

I wish I could help, but I'm going to be doing the trial & error shoe shopping experience myself in the not too distant future.  

My Asics Gel Cumulus 15s that I just got 6 months ago or so have holes on BOTH shoes at the exact same spot (approximately where my pinkie toe sits) and I'm not really happy with that.  

In terms of difference in drop, I really have nothing.

Short version of the above rambling mess = I'm no help whatsoever and also need new shoes.   

2014-01-10 2:54 PM

Master
Northern IL

At that amount of drop I'd think it would blend in with other differences in the shoes you'll be trying on. So not that significant. Start off easier like you would with any newer shoe.

2014-01-10 2:57 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

So, you are going up, eg, getting a lesser drop shoe? I know people say they usually need to start out slowly when moving to a lower drop shoes. Don't know if the same holds true in reverse . So, basically, I'm like Monica and can offer no help!

2014-01-10 3:03 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by amd723 Any manatees have this cookbook by Matt Fitzgerald? http://www.amazon.com/dp/1937715159/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=318...

I just saw this recipe from one of his books

Racing Weight Recipes: Wasabi Meaballs

http://running.competitor.com/2014/01/nutrition/racing-weight-recipes-wasabi-meatballs_93057

yum

2014-01-10 3:37 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
GO RACING MANATEEEEEEEES!!!
2014-01-10 4:02 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by Artemis

Hey Manatees!!

GO, GO, GO to all the racing Manatees!

I am thinking about doing a bike focus this year--the whole marathon thing has really ruined my legs and love for running--I now run for the pragmatic need to in triathlon and the fact that it's still a good cardio workout.....I want to do a weekend ride that has a metric century over each of 2 days in September......I have plenty of time to get my butt used to being in the saddle and Jorge's winter plan is getting me there......Thing is, I am having pain in the front part of my right knee with almost every trainer ride.  I have never had pain in my knees while on the bike before.  Sweet Mama has never given me issues before and my fit on her is pretty decent.....Thoughts?  Move a cleat position?  Change the saddle a touch?

Riding on the trainer is so different that it is probably a trainer-specific issue rather than Sweet Mama. I would try adjusting you cleats a bit, and then go back to th original position when you start riding outside again.

Thanks, Jen!  I figured that might be a good place to start.  I have never had knee pain on the trainer before--and this is different from the knee pain I had during the marathon.

Has your seat position changed ? Up/down or forward /back?

2014-01-10 4:25 PM

User image

Seattle

I think you should just go try some different shoes and see what you think is comfortable. 

When it comes down to it, there are a lot of other factors that come into play than heel drop, and they all play a roll in what is comfortable to run in. I certainly don't but shoes solely (heh) based on heel drop.

2014-01-10 4:41 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Utah
May I join your group?

NAME:Tiana

STORY: I remember watching the Kona Ironman on TV when I was in High School and thinking I really want to do that someday. Over the year's I watched the Ironman several more times and still thinking I wanted to do it. In 2010 I decided if I was going to do it I'd better get started. I did 3 sprints and a BIke MS that summer. In the fall I fell off my porch while I was holding my daughter. My daughter was fine no injuries but I sprained my right ankle very bad. In 2011 I took a whole year off of running. While I did swim some, and did some aqua jogging I did mostly cycling. I did a few bike events. In 2012 I started out the year doing alot of walking and aqua jogging. Then I did a little runing on land. My ankle was feeling better not 100% but alot better. I was also cycling and did a Bike MS. I was feeling good and was able to sign up for Ironman Florida through Endurance Sports Travel. I felt good about my biking and swimming and I had a walk/run plan for the run. During the swim I jammed my foot in the sand and fell totally spraining that rt ankle again. Total disappointment and I went into a bit of depression. I gained weight. It hurt to walk. The doctor said I would need surgery. I didn't want surgery. It hurt to clip in and out so I stopped cycling as much. I think my brother in law got tired of seeiing me mope and signed me up for a bike event without telling me first. We put new pedals on my bike that one is flat and the clip in. I started riding without being cliped in. Last Fall I went to a new doctor. And in November I had surgery on my ankle. I had completely torn a ligament so I have an artifical fiber one now. I'm still healing and in PT.

FAMILY STATUS: Single, never been married (Looking) I was a foster mother and was ablle to adopt my two girls.

CURRENT TRAINING:My current training is Physical Therpy and riding my bike on the trainer. My ankle is slowly healing. It still hurts when I walk.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS:
April Salt Lake City Marathon bike tour They let the bikes go before the runners.
June Litlle Red Ridng Hood a women's only bike ride I signed up for the lottery so I hope I get in.

BODY COMPOSITION: I'm the highest weight I've ever been. About 165 I'd love to get back down 125 or 130 again.

Edited by tritiny 2014-01-10 4:43 PM

2014-01-10 4:46 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master

Originally posted by Asalzwed

I think you should just go try some different shoes and see what you think is comfortable. 

When it comes down to it, there are a lot of other factors that come into play than heel drop, and they all play a roll in what is comfortable to run in. I certainly don't but shoes solely (heh) based on heel drop.

Yeah, I did try a couple pairs on last night, found them comfy, and then checked out the specs today, hence the 2mm drop diff question.  My concern partly is the weather--I would have to test them out on a treadmill, which often causes me discomfort anyway...  I know very little about shoesies--I found the Ride when I started running in '09, and have tried 2 other brands with no success.  I have always gone back to the rides, but as I said having trouble finding them. 

2014-01-10 4:48 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Seattle

Yeah, I did try a couple pairs on last night, found them comfy, and then checked out the specs today, hence the 2mm drop diff question.  My concern partly is the weather--I would have to test them out on a treadmill, which often causes me discomfort anyway...  I know very little about shoesies--I found the Ride when I started running in '09, and have tried 2 other brands with no success.  I have always gone back to the rides, but as I said having trouble finding them. 

How do you define success? And why do you have to test them on a treadmill? 

Edited by Asalzwed 2014-01-10 4:49 PM
2014-01-10 4:49 PM
in reply to: tritiny

User image

Master

Welcome Tiana!  Good for you for getting back into things!  Take it slow, do everything your PT tells you and you will get there!

2014-01-10 4:50 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master

No foot, ankle, shin pain.  Comfy runs.  I figure if my shoes are right, I don't notice them.  If I am thinking about my shoes or feet, something is off.

Test on treadmill so that can return if necessary.  They don't like when you bring them back all wet and oogy 

2014-01-10 4:55 PM

User image

Seattle

No foot, ankle, shin pain.  Comfy runs.  I figure if my shoes are right, I don't notice them.  If I am thinking about my shoes or feet, something is off.

Test on treadmill so that can return if necessary.  They don't like when you bring them back all wet and oogy 

Well then you should find a different shoe store! That is important!

Find a store that allows your to run how you run and also one that has a good return policy and try some stuff. 

2014-01-10 6:13 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

GO TANGERINES!!!
GO GOODY!!!
GO LANA!!!

Disabled list:
Melanie - strained hamstring (improving!)
Kate-  Under the weather
TJ - Under the weather
Jonathan - Subtalar joint / ankle issues
Yanti - Under the weather

And the gimps: GET BETTER! Sigh, we were doing so well ... but we'll be back

Wheeeee!  I'm (allegedly) "racing" tomorrow!!  This could also be considered an abysmally long slog through the leftover slush from the polar vortex for 14 miles.  YAY!  

GO OTHER RACING MANATEES!!!! 

To the sickies... get better please!  

Good luck with that! And be careful. Both in how you dress for it and when out on the course. Lots of drizzling rain today and through the night with temps hovering right around freezing. Serious black ice potential and this is hypothermia weather. Perhaps you should take some inspiration from Stay Puft and pad yourself with lots of marshmallows or pillows. 

2014-01-10 7:39 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

GO TANGERINES!!!
GO GOODY!!!
GO LANA!!!

Disabled list:
Melanie - strained hamstring (improving!)
Kate-  Under the weather
TJ - Under the weather
Jonathan - Subtalar joint / ankle issues
Yanti - Under the weather

And the gimps: GET BETTER! Sigh, we were doing so well ... but we'll be back

Wheeeee!  I'm (allegedly) "racing" tomorrow!!  This could also be considered an abysmally long slog through the leftover slush from the polar vortex for 14 miles.  YAY!  

GO OTHER RACING MANATEES!!!! 

To the sickies... get better please!  

Good luck with that! And be careful. Both in how you dress for it and when out on the course. Lots of drizzling rain today and through the night with temps hovering right around freezing. Serious black ice potential and this is hypothermia weather. Perhaps you should take some inspiration from Stay Puft and pad yourself with lots of marshmallows or pillows. 

Bahahahahahahaha!  OMG I want pictures if this happens!

2014-01-10 7:53 PM

User image

Master

Random Manatee question: if you bump into someone accidentally, what do you say?

2014-01-10 8:26 PM

User image

Originally posted by tritiny

May I join your group?

NAME:Tiana

STORY: I remember watching the Kona Ironman on TV when I was in High School and thinking I really want to do that someday. Over the year's I watched the Ironman several more times and still thinking I wanted to do it. In 2010 I decided if I was going to do it I'd better get started. I did 3 sprints and a BIke MS that summer. In the fall I fell off my porch while I was holding my daughter. My daughter was fine no injuries but I sprained my right ankle very bad. In 2011 I took a whole year off of running. While I did swim some, and did some aqua jogging I did mostly cycling. I did a few bike events. In 2012 I started out the year doing alot of walking and aqua jogging. Then I did a little runing on land. My ankle was feeling better not 100% but alot better. I was also cycling and did a Bike MS. I was feeling good and was able to sign up for Ironman Florida through Endurance Sports Travel. I felt good about my biking and swimming and I had a walk/run plan for the run. During the swim I jammed my foot in the sand and fell totally spraining that rt ankle again. Total disappointment and I went into a bit of depression. I gained weight. It hurt to walk. The doctor said I would need surgery. I didn't want surgery. It hurt to clip in and out so I stopped cycling as much. I think my brother in law got tired of seeiing me mope and signed me up for a bike event without telling me first. We put new pedals on my bike that one is flat and the clip in. I started riding without being cliped in. Last Fall I went to a new doctor. And in November I had surgery on my ankle. I had completely torn a ligament so I have an artifical fiber one now. I'm still healing and in PT.

FAMILY STATUS: Single, never been married (Looking) I was a foster mother and was ablle to adopt my two girls.

CURRENT TRAINING:My current training is Physical Therpy and riding my bike on the trainer. My ankle is slowly healing. It still hurts when I walk.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS:
April Salt Lake City Marathon bike tour They let the bikes go before the runners.
June Litlle Red Ridng Hood a women's only bike ride I signed up for the lottery so I hope I get in.

BODY COMPOSITION: I'm the highest weight I've ever been. About 165 I'd love to get back down 125 or 130 again.

Welcome to the group, Tiana! It sounds like you have been through a lot, so kudos to you for sticking with it through all the injuries!

Ashley
2014-01-10 8:27 PM

User image

Random Manatee question: if you bump into someone accidentally, what do you say?

Excuse me?

Ashley

2014-01-10 9:47 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by tritiny May I join your group? NAME:Tiana STORY: I remember watching the Kona Ironman on TV when I was in High School and thinking I really want to do that someday. Over the year's I watched the Ironman several more times and still thinking I wanted to do it. In 2010 I decided if I was going to do it I'd better get started. I did 3 sprints and a BIke MS that summer. In the fall I fell off my porch while I was holding my daughter. My daughter was fine no injuries but I sprained my right ankle very bad. In 2011 I took a whole year off of running. While I did swim some, and did some aqua jogging I did mostly cycling. I did a few bike events. In 2012 I started out the year doing alot of walking and aqua jogging. Then I did a little runing on land. My ankle was feeling better not 100% but alot better. I was also cycling and did a Bike MS. I was feeling good and was able to sign up for Ironman Florida through Endurance Sports Travel. I felt good about my biking and swimming and I had a walk/run plan for the run. During the swim I jammed my foot in the sand and fell totally spraining that rt ankle again. Total disappointment and I went into a bit of depression. I gained weight. It hurt to walk. The doctor said I would need surgery. I didn't want surgery. It hurt to clip in and out so I stopped cycling as much. I think my brother in law got tired of seeiing me mope and signed me up for a bike event without telling me first. We put new pedals on my bike that one is flat and the clip in. I started riding without being cliped in. Last Fall I went to a new doctor. And in November I had surgery on my ankle. I had completely torn a ligament so I have an artifical fiber one now. I'm still healing and in PT. FAMILY STATUS: Single, never been married (Looking) I was a foster mother and was ablle to adopt my two girls. CURRENT TRAINING:My current training is Physical Therpy and riding my bike on the trainer. My ankle is slowly healing. It still hurts when I walk. THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: April Salt Lake City Marathon bike tour They let the bikes go before the runners. June Litlle Red Ridng Hood a women's only bike ride I signed up for the lottery so I hope I get in. BODY COMPOSITION: I'm the highest weight I've ever been. About 165 I'd love to get back down 125 or 130 again.

Hi Tiana! Welcome. Hey, there are some lovely single guys in this group anyway, even though you're in PT, healing up and would like to lose weight, I really hear the undercurrent of passion and commitment bubbling up in your words and this group is full of great comeback stories.

2014-01-10 9:51 PM
in reply to: awalden22

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by awalden22

Excuse me? Ashley

Oooh! Hi. Helloooooo there. Whatcha doin' Friday night?

- or, if the person's in a hurry, or clearly married, as in standing there with someone with a matching ring, something like that -

Oh! Sorry!

2014-01-11 12:17 AM
in reply to: #4922219

User image

Hey Stace
Yeah I'm on my own too, I quite like it but it is nice to have someone to go with.
No jellyfish for me at Hillary's probably stingers I'd say they can be bad around Hillary's, if you lather up in sun cream or a bit baby oil they slip over the skin and don't sting. I grew up in busselton where they are horrendous!

So race today hot, terrible run 38:14 min 5 km
But on a plus side swim was faster and longer than last one bike was comfortable. I don't push my self on the bike because I know I have to run after

And got a call to say my shoes are in- finally moving to clip ins!
Exciting but scary

Lake was no where near as bad as everyone made out, deep water start, no smell (didn't taste it ) some people were saying it wasn't measured correctly and thought it was more 850-900m course but who knows! The rowing buoys are great indicators to keep you swimming straight
2014-01-11 12:51 AM
in reply to: Lanne

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by Lanne Hey Stace Yeah I'm on my own too, I quite like it but it is nice to have someone to go with. No jellyfish for me at Hillary's probably stingers I'd say they can be bad around Hillary's, if you lather up in sun cream or a bit baby oil they slip over the skin and don't sting. I grew up in busselton where they are horrendous! So race today hot, terrible run 38:14 min 5 km But on a plus side swim was faster and longer than last one bike was comfortable. I don't push my self on the bike because I know I have to run after And got a call to say my shoes are in- finally moving to clip ins! Exciting but scary Lake was no where near as bad as everyone made out, deep water start, no smell (didn't taste it ) some people were saying it wasn't measured correctly and thought it was more 850-900m course but who knows! The rowing buoys are great indicators to keep you swimming straight

Congratulations Lana!!!

Great race in seriously suffocating weather. Glad the Champ Lakes water didn't get you Excited about the clip-ins (which are also called clipless system, go figure) ... will you be trying them out on a trainer in the store or at home?

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Rss Feed  

of 103

RELATED POSTS

McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED) Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21

Started by McFuzz
Views: 25840 Posts: 509

2014-10-29 11:38 AM McFuzz

Baowolf's New Years Resolution Group-Closed (if are stuck with no group PM me) Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38403 Posts: 779

2014-05-23 8:02 PM Pink Socks

The Other Way - Training by Feeling and Racing to Train - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12

Started by pfomalont
Views: 18413 Posts: 299

2014-05-19 7:15 AM marriedthepoolguy

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : January 10, 2005
author : malvey
Incentives for making and keeping resolutions for your next year.

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them
date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
The following is my 'new years resolution' for 2003.