in reply to: brigby1

User image

Subject: RE: SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by Fred D
Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by GoFaster

You guys were busy this weekend - lots of good posts.  We got a fair amount of snow on Friday/Saturday and I ran on Sunday.  I fell less than 2km into the run and just below my knee is now sore and bruised.  Also struggling with ongoing issues with my left Soleus - think I probably pushed a bit too hard on the threshold test .  Massage later this week will hopefully help, and I'll avoid running for a couple days.

Ouch, that sucks Neil!  I suspect if I had tried to run here today I would have had similar results.  The roads and sidewalks are a complete mess.

Not sure what is happening. I don't remember this much snow pre-christmas in a long time. Puppy is going on 9 years old and his best running days are behind him, but drop a foot of snow on the ground and nobody can keep up with himWe did run 1 of the ST100 together
. That doggie reminds me of why I'm a cat person. I'm sure he's a great dog and friend, however all you would have to do is photoshop in some red eyes and you got yourself a scary movie scene lol.

Well how happy are YOU when people stare while doing your business? 

Not only staring...TAKING PICTURES!!! 

2013-12-16 7:22 PM
in reply to: Fred D

User image

As Fred mentioned, everyone in this group could make a good mentor.

If I can offer one piece of advice...if you are not a well established mentor already with a following (or you already have a group ready like Marc/Shane), make sure you get your group profile staged with Ron ASAP.  Ron does not release all the groups at once, and instead releases them a handful at a time to make sure they fill up before releasing new groups.  The lower you are on the list, the longer it takes your group to go live.  Usually there is a mass rush the first 2-3 days where the active members who know about the program pick their groups...and then it dies down towards the end.  If you are one of the last groups to go live, likely the only people still looking for a group are people who are not active, may not log workouts at all, and more likely to drop off.

2013-12-16 8:41 PM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Originally posted by Fred D  My suggestion on the number of mentees is let a few more in than you think you can, as a number disappear within a few weeks. I've regretted not letting a few late askers in as I was trying to keep it smaller, and then the people I let in sort of quit. Lastly, having a group with no focus would be great as well. 

'Zactly.  Last year I had a general mentor group and closed it at about a dozen peeps.  A few weeks later activity dropped off and I re-opened the group and left it open for anyone to pop in and out.

2013-12-16 9:21 PM

User image

Champion
Well we sort of worked our way out of the snow only to have it melt all over the roads...so now there is a solid sheet of ice on the ground. Did some x-country skiing in the park about 7k from my house over the weekend. Prepping to do the Iceman here in Prince George in Feb: ski-run-skate-run-swim....lol.

Masters swim tonight.

Oh and two weeks till Maui!! (4 call shifts...countdown on)
2013-12-17 3:48 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by Jason N

As Fred mentioned, everyone in this group could make a good mentor.

If I can offer one piece of advice...if you are not a well established mentor already with a following (or you already have a group ready like Marc/Shane), make sure you get your group profile staged with Ron ASAP.  Ron does not release all the groups at once, and instead releases them a handful at a time to make sure they fill up before releasing new groups.  The lower you are on the list, the longer it takes your group to go live.  Usually there is a mass rush the first 2-3 days where the active members who know about the program pick their groups...and then it dies down towards the end.  If you are one of the last groups to go live, likely the only people still looking for a group are people who are not active, may not log workouts at all, and more likely to drop off.

Thanks Jason that is great info.

Quick question does Ron need a application type PM with my Bio to run a Mentor group? I only pm’ed him to find out when the new groups will start.
2013-12-17 4:25 AM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
As Fred mentioned about a SBR Utopia race soul crushing group meet up. I am always open but it needs to be planed well in advance. In my opinion, planning will need to happen in spring of 2014 for the next year of 2015. That may not be doable for all, I am ok with it. As you all know, to get into a lot of races you almost need to register a year in advance now.

I signed up for Princeton 70.3. Registration is still open as of 5am EST, so it didn't sell out that quick. This makes 2 HIM I am registered for next year. Syracuse 70.3 is the other. I spaced them out more than this year (2013).

On a swim note I will break over 400K yards swam this year. I wanted to hit 500K but took time off after IMLP to let the metatarsals cool down a bit.

2013-12-17 7:01 AM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Pro

Originally posted by BrotherTri   Quick question does Ron need a application type PM with my Bio to run a Mentor group? I only pm’ed him to find out when the new groups will start.

When he posts the call for mentors he will present an outline of questions he wants applicants to answer and submit on a hidden forum that he will use to put mentors on stand by before they go "live" on a public forum.  As the first few mentor groups fill up and close he will take mentors from the hidden forum and put them in the public forum from which mentees will choose from.  He will send you a PM when your mentor thread goes "live".

2013-12-17 7:14 AM
in reply to: 0

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Fred D 2013-12-17 7:14 AM
2013-12-17 7:54 AM

Master
Guilford, CT
I give all you mentors a lot of credit. I have trouble consistently finding time to post so would be unfair for me. I'm trying to make a resurgence and have followed this thread on my phone the majority of the time so don't always get to post. There is great knowledge base here and flow of information. Would like to see something similar continue somewhere.
2013-12-17 8:47 AM
in reply to: Jason N

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by ChrisM

Originally posted by TankBoy
Originally posted by BrotherTri On a training note, I did a 5' Power Test. Boy am i out of cycling shape.... CompuTrainer 5’ Power Test Watts Avg 292 RPM Avg 92 HR Avg 165 At least it should get better.....
Ha HA James! I just posted a "nice work on the test" as an inspire on your blog. I am fairly certain I couldn't hold 265w for five minutes currently....

I just got notice that I have a test coming up next two weeks or so [shudder]./.....

Tis the season!  It was mentioned to me in an email last week as well....

I'm supposed to test as well...most likely the weekend after New Years.

Keep thinking about it, but not sure I'll actually do it for awhile.

2013-12-17 8:49 AM
in reply to: axteraa

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by marcag  Not sure what is happening. I don't remember this much snow pre-christmas in a long time.

Me either.  It has actually altered my training focus.  Originally, we were going to do a run focus but with so much snow down and cold weather, it's been really tough to do any runs with intensity.  So instead, gonna hit the bike and swim harder and keep the runs easier but still keep the frequency up high.  With any luck, spring will come a bit sooner...

Cute dog - our won't run with us without being annoying.  The only one that probably would enjoy it, won't do it if the others don't come.  Another one is perfectly capable of it but she hates it and just lags behind.  The other is too old.

Certainly not as much as you guys, but have been getting a few inches at a time in a few storms since Thanksgiving for a nice accumulation. Although now it's supposed to rain Thursday.

2013-12-17 9:03 AM

Extreme Veteran

Certainly not as much as you guys, but have been getting a few inches at a time in a few storms since Thanksgiving for a nice accumulation. Although now it's supposed to rain Thursday.

I checked the weather this morning. -21C, -31C with windchill.
What's funny is if I look at it in French it tells me sun for the next 7 days
If I look at it in English it tells me snow

French is sooo much more optimistic
2013-12-17 9:07 AM

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by marcag  Not sure what is happening. I don't remember this much snow pre-christmas in a long time.

Me either.  It has actually altered my training focus.  Originally, we were going to do a run focus but with so much snow down and cold weather, it's been really tough to do any runs with intensity.  So instead, gonna hit the bike and swim harder and keep the runs easier but still keep the frequency up high.  With any luck, spring will come a bit sooner...

Cute dog - our won't run with us without being annoying.  The only one that probably would enjoy it, won't do it if the others don't come.  Another one is perfectly capable of it but she hates it and just lags behind.  The other is too old.

Yeah, the weather is causing some problems here, too.  I have a HM at the end of February, but even the roads proper are barely runnable, never mind the sidewalks/paths.  The treadmill is OK, but I don't like the feel of it for long runs - too repetitive.  The lack of variation doesn't feel good on the pins (so I often monkey with the grade and pace, but it's still pretty uniform movement).

Our dogs are also not exactly embracing the snow!  They loved the first couple days of it, but it was -4 F this morning (no wind, just temp) and we had to pretty much push them through the snow to the "dumping grounds," or they would've left calling cards in the yard!  And these are two labs that are used to the cold…  Another half foot tonight.  Sweeeeet…. 

OK, enough beyotching about the cold.  I'm off to try a hill run, but might retreat to the 'mill if it is still unsafe out there.

Matt

2013-12-17 9:46 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Pro
NJ

Hey guys....we're in the slip and slide mode with roads/snow/ice here as well. Last year a couple of you posted pics of how you rigged your shoes for snow running. I have no hope of finding that thread again but was hoping you could remind me what you did. I believe it involved attaching screws to the soles for traction. Did you use washers to keep the screw from fully penetrating into the shoe or just use a really short screw? And did you use flat heads? I have a pair of Hoka Bondi's that are about at the end of their life-cycle that would be perfect (and no loss if I muck it up). I suppose I could always order a pair of yaktrax but thought I'd give the home version a shot. 

2013-12-17 9:54 AM
in reply to: kcarroll

Extreme Veteran
That was me I think

Yes, they have flat heads. They are sheet metal screws.

Washers are not needed. Just make sure they are short enough not to go through the entire shoe.

I drill a very small hole, then put in the screw.

Yaktraks are good in deep snow, but I find if I run at all on bare road they break really easily
Screw shoes are good on ice, but not great in deep snow and slush. Slush kind of builds up around them and they lose their efficiency

I am running with a new type called duenorth and they seem pretty good. They are more like spikes but the spikes are replaceable. If they last they are the best I have tried so far.

I will try and post some pics as soon as they defrost. Just got back from a run

2013-12-17 10:33 AM
in reply to: marcag

Extreme Veteran
Screw shoes

Due North traction aids

2013-12-17 10:49 AM

Master
...at home in The ATL
Dang, Marc those are awesome!!! Almost makes me wish I lived somewhere colder.
Almost.

We will be in Northern Michigan next week for Christmas, so actually hoping their snow holds out (looks good for now). Would really like to get some xc skiing and snowmobiling in this year. Last couple of years have been pretty crumby at the holidays.

Currently sunny and 60 degrees (16c) here. But winds are 20mph if that makes it any better.
2013-12-17 11:09 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

Pro
NJ

Thanks Marc, those look great. I may have to put a last minute request for a pair of Due North's on Santa's list. 

And Rusty, don't do anything to mess up the weather down there. I'm heading to Atlanta later this week for a couple days and looking forward to thawing out.  

2013-12-17 11:21 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

I've never tried the screw shoes but I agree that the Yaktrax tend to break easily. I've been using something similar to the Duenorth with the metal spikes.  Mine weren't replaceable though and by the end of last year I had worn them down pretty short.  They worked really well with ice and decent in snow.  If I was on bare pavement or concrete, they were really noisy.  People generally got out of my way on the sidewalks.  

2013-12-17 12:23 PM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by TankBoy Dang, Marc those are awesome!!! Almost makes me wish I lived somewhere colder. Almost. 

Garmin said it got down to the mid 60's during my ride to work today.  It's probably more like 74 now, and will warm up to around 80. 

Edited by Jason N 2013-12-17 12:23 PM
2013-12-17 12:31 PM

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I've been struggling on the bike recently and can't seem to figure out what my deal is...

Has anyone ever actually gotten WORSE on the bike, despite putting in the time and effort (i.e. not having FTP drop as a result of taking an extended break or anything like that)?

When I was riding the trainer last Tuesday, I grabbed the remote to turn the fan on.  When I went to replace the remote, it dropped and smashed into a number of things.  My speed sensor no longer works and my power meter is definitely not reading the same as it used to.  It used to be that riding at FTP required a specific gear and cadence -- now it suddenly requires one gear harder and the same cadence.  The reading says the same (and the calibration seems to be working just fine....), but it's requiring a much harder effort.

I really have no idea what could have caused it or how to fix it....but now I feel like I'm chasing a number that I'm just not capable of, end up blowing myself out, get frustrated with myself for not being able to hold the power like I should, and feel unmotivated to try again and fail again a couple days later.  I'll be away from my bike for a week (24th - 31st) and was hoping to get in a few hard rides before then....but I'm seriously considering just taking it easy this week and all of next week off.

Also, my swimming has felt pretty awful recently too.  On a positive note, my running has been decent.  Here's to hoping things work themselves out, as I'm supposed to start my build for St. George come the start of the new year!

Any suggestions on what to look at or how to fix my jacked up power meter (or just tell me to retest and deal with the fact that my FTP has dropped over the past two months)  would be appreciated.

2013-12-17 1:03 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Pro

Originally posted by ligersandtions

I've been struggling on the bike recently and can't seem to figure out what my deal is...

Has anyone ever actually gotten WORSE on the bike, despite putting in the time and effort (i.e. not having FTP drop as a result of taking an extended break or anything like that)?

Also, my swimming has felt pretty awful recently too.  On a positive note, my running has been decent.  Here's to hoping things work themselves out, as I'm supposed to start my build for St. George come the start of the new year!

Any suggestions on what to look at or how to fix my jacked up power meter (or just tell me to retest and deal with the fact that my FTP has dropped over the past two months)  would be appreciated.

OK, I don't know you so maybe I should let others reply to this but for grins, I went back to your training log and read a bunch of posts going back to November.  I see several posts about a nagging cough after Ragnar, some personal life changes, hard to hit target workouts, etc...none related to a potentially broken power meter (?).   It looks like your racing season ended in late September (?)....did you take a break after that to recharge the batteries?   As a total stranger reading your posts the first thing that popped into my head is that you have hit a stale state both physically and mentally that has creeped up on you without you realizing it - potentially made worse by the coughing issue.   Maybe you're in need of a simple rest period?

2013-12-17 2:39 PM

Extreme Veteran

Do you have some files with the speed before the sensor broke ?

I know you suspect the PM, so maybe if you fix the sensor, and have the old files with speed, we can figure out if the power levels correlate.

2013-12-17 2:58 PM
in reply to: Birkierunner

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by Birkierunner

OK, I don't know you so maybe I should let others reply to this but for grins, I went back to your training log and read a bunch of posts going back to November.  I see several posts about a nagging cough after Ragnar, some personal life changes, hard to hit target workouts, etc...none related to a potentially broken power meter (?).   It looks like your racing season ended in late September (?)....did you take a break after that to recharge the batteries?   As a total stranger reading your posts the first thing that popped into my head is that you have hit a stale state both physically and mentally that has creeped up on you without you realizing it - potentially made worse by the coughing issue.   Maybe you're in need of a simple rest period?

My A race was in July -- after that, I took a full six weeks off of biking and running (well, I had been off running for over a year at that point).  After that, I started running again and did a few smaller races.  So I did take a break, but I guess it wasn't really an end of the season break.  It was after my break that I got my power meter and started being able to run again, so there's a good possibility that I may just be in need of a rest period....or maybe just a break from the bike.

And yeah, the personal crap I'm dealing with may very well have something to do with the motivational issues and difficulty hitting power.  Not to mention, I've also dropped about four pounds in the past (just over) month, which equates to almost 4% of my body weight.  But the most frustrating part was the big change that happened one week ago.

And to Marc -- I will bring my bike to the shop to see if they can get the speed sensor working again.  I have no idea what the problem is -- the sensor and the magnet all seem to be in place.  I push the reset button on it, it flashes red, then green, then nothing....I've tried pairing it with my 910, 800, and TrainerRoad, and none of them are able to find it.  I'll also ask them to take a look and see if there's anything wonky going on.  I put the bike on the stand over the weekend and cleaned it thoroughly, but I barely know what I'm looking at.  Nothing seemed terribly amiss, but it could very well be that I just don't know what I should be looking for.

2013-12-17 3:05 PM

Extreme Veteran
I've also dropped about four pounds in the past (just over) month, which equates to almost 4% of my body weight. 

I suspect there are several things going on. This certainly doesn't help.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 149

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?

date : October 15, 2008
author : AMSSM
I've had shoulder problems since the very beginning of tri training. I did see an ortho who took x-rays and said I have a type II acromioin. I'd love to know some stretches to help my flexibility.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Courage
comments : 8
What is it that brought me to my knees one Sunday morning and then kicked me into a hole of self loathing and apparent depression? My apparent salvation was my old blue Fuji Royale II.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.