Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Marvelous Manatees - Stronger than Ever! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 33

2023-03-28 6:51 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Subject: RE: Marvelous Manatees - Stronger than Ever!
I have the wheels my bike came with...not sure what they are?

2023-03-28 7:08 AM
in reply to: canadarn2001

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by canadarn2001 I have the wheels my bike came with...not sure what they are?

The wheels and hub will usually say what they are. Some bikes come with really nice wheel sets and others, well, that;s where they cut some cost.

I did think of another thing with the power meter, I have used it for pacing the bike in a 70.3.  Basically, you want your bike to be Z2/Z3 so that is your range. You start out lower in the range after the swim and T1 to let your body settle down a bit.  My notes say "Ride Z2 for 20-30 minutes. Ride 75% of FTP.  Then increase to 80% FTP."

To do this, I set my Garmin to show Lap Normalized Power and set it to lap every 5 miles. That way, at mile 50 you are not trying to "fix" your power from mile 12, etc. 

Of course, if you are doing this as part of your race plan, you'll need to stay on top of your FTP.  This would not go well if you were using a guesstimate FTP.

2023-03-28 8:18 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by canadarn2001 I have the wheels my bike came with...not sure what they are?

The wheels and hub will usually say what they are. Some bikes come with really nice wheel sets and others, well, that;s where they cut some cost.

I did think of another thing with the power meter, I have used it for pacing the bike in a 70.3.  Basically, you want your bike to be Z2/Z3 so that is your range. You start out lower in the range after the swim and T1 to let your body settle down a bit.  My notes say "Ride Z2 for 20-30 minutes. Ride 75% of FTP.  Then increase to 80% FTP."

To do this, I set my Garmin to show Lap Normalized Power and set it to lap every 5 miles. That way, at mile 50 you are not trying to "fix" your power from mile 12, etc. 

Of course, if you are doing this as part of your race plan, you'll need to stay on top of your FTP.  This would not go well if you were using a guesstimate FTP.

This is one of the things I meant when I mentioned using your PM correctly. Janyne uses it correctly, I do not. I always have the intention of watching my power and riding as Janyne describes and then I ignore it. One reason could be not setting up my bike computer appropriately. So, if you get a PM be Janyne not Ann-Marie!

2023-03-28 8:24 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

This is one of the things I meant when I mentioned using your PM correctly. Janyne uses it correctly, I do not. I always have the intention of watching my power and riding as Janyne describes and then I ignore it. One reason could be not setting up my bike computer appropriately. So, if you get a PM be Janyne not Ann-Marie!

Right now I just keep an eye on the total NP for a Z2 group ride and make sure that its actually in Z2. The folks on Slowtwitch, etc would say that this is incorrect, that the variability (VI) is way too high and so on.  Whatever. 

2023-03-28 10:27 AM
in reply to: scoty

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by scotyIt appears I missed a step so here goes.NAME: Scot OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: Facebook, Twitter, Strava, IG and Garmin Connect. I believe Scot Hendren is my user id on all of them.STORY: Live in the NW corner of Arkansas I recently turned 56 so I am officially close to 60 than 50. LOL I'm a partner in a seamless gutter business married 9 years and raising our grandson age 5. In 2019 I decided I need to get into better shape so I quit a moderate smoking habit and started running and bought a bicycle. I had ridden bikes 10 years earlier. I had bought a Garmin watch from FB market place and the guy I got it from was part of a tri team. We talked for a little bit and I decided to join the team. I was hooked. I have yet to do an iron distance as I still struggle with the swim. In November I ran the Route 66 Marathon in Tulsa, OK. While training for it I injured myself and like any good runner I kept on running. After the marathon I had to go and see what was wrong with my leg. Turns out I had a torn meniscus. I stopped running until recently. Oh yeah I am also a recovered alcoholic with over 16 years sober.FAMILY STATUS: Married to Lisa, raising grandson Avery. Avery loves to run me in on my races.CURRENT TRAINING: As earlier stated I am just getting back to training.THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Republic Tiger Tri-Republic, MO Joplin Summer Roundup-Joplin, MO Tri-Fest Bentonville , AR San Antonio Marathon {possibly}GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: to learn. I am here to learn from others. If I have something to offer even better.WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: This one I am not sure about.
hi Scott
2023-03-28 11:02 AM
in reply to: scoty

Originally posted by scoty

It appears I missed a step so here goes.

NAME: Scot

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: Facebook, Twitter, Strava, IG and Garmin Connect. I believe Scot Hendren is my user id on all of them.

STORY: Live in the NW corner of Arkansas I recently turned 56 so I am officially close to 60 than 50. LOL I'm a partner in a seamless gutter business married 9 years and raising our grandson age 5. In 2019 I decided I need to get into better shape so I quit a moderate smoking habit and started running and bought a bicycle. I had ridden bikes 10 years earlier. I had bought a Garmin watch from FB market place and the guy I got it from was part of a tri team. We talked for a little bit and I decided to join the team. I was hooked. I have yet to do an iron distance as I still struggle with the swim. In November I ran the Route 66 Marathon in Tulsa, OK. While training for it I injured myself and like any good runner I kept on running. After the marathon I had to go and see what was wrong with my leg. Turns out I had a torn meniscus. I stopped running until recently. Oh yeah I am also a recovered alcoholic with over 16 years sober.

FAMILY STATUS: Married to Lisa, raising grandson Avery. Avery loves to run me in on my races.

CURRENT TRAINING: As earlier stated I am just getting back to training.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Republic Tiger Tri-Republic, MO
Joplin Summer Roundup-Joplin, MO
Tri-Fest Bentonville , AR
San Antonio Marathon {possibly}

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: to learn. I am here to learn from others. If I have something to offer even better.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: This one I am not sure about.

Welcome Scot. Great story and background!!!!

2023-03-28 11:12 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

Originally posted by juniperjen

Happy Friday everyone!  How's everyone doing? 

It definitely feels springy out there but it's never that simple here. 

Actually excited for the treadmill. We just got a 'sample' nordic track due to my husband's job and it is pretty sweet. Definitely looking forward to using it which is unusual for me ... 

Congrats on the treadmill. Given my northern latitude, I do most running on a treadmill. Our treadmill is pretty old, but it does have the iFit capability. I've just never used that aspect of it. This thread has me thinking about it though.

Things have been a little rough here. Finishing up a trial that went 6 weeks, with jury still out, including an added week where I was out with COVID. I really wasn't sick from it much, but did have chest congestion in the mornings when I would wake up. Annoyingly, that has carried on even post-covid. It takes me an hour or so in the mornings to really get my chest and nasal passages cleared out.

I am supposed to head to CA in a couple weeks, but my dad is having health issues and I may end up going early. He first had heart issues when I was a freshman in high school, and he is now in his 80's, so he's done well for a long time. I am supposed to do a 5k while down there on the 15th, but have done very little running recently given the covid issues and just being so busy elsewhere. I am planning to do it regardless and will likely end up doing a walk/run scenario. Currently trying to plan some summer vacation time as well. My daughter got an apartment for next year in college with a roommate. It is on campus, but a bit further up away from the main areas of campus, so she decided she would like her car down there with her. So we are currently planning a father/daughter drive through Canada in early August to get her back to school.

Hope everyone is doing well!!!
2023-03-28 12:14 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by alaskatri
Originally posted by juniperjen

Happy Friday everyone!  How's everyone doing? 

It definitely feels springy out there but it's never that simple here. 

Actually excited for the treadmill. We just got a 'sample' nordic track due to my husband's job and it is pretty sweet. Definitely looking forward to using it which is unusual for me ... 

Congrats on the treadmill. Given my northern latitude, I do most running on a treadmill. Our treadmill is pretty old, but it does have the iFit capability. I've just never used that aspect of it. This thread has me thinking about it though. Things have been a little rough here. Finishing up a trial that went 6 weeks, with jury still out, including an added week where I was out with COVID. I really wasn't sick from it much, but did have chest congestion in the mornings when I would wake up. Annoyingly, that has carried on even post-covid. It takes me an hour or so in the mornings to really get my chest and nasal passages cleared out. I am supposed to head to CA in a couple weeks, but my dad is having health issues and I may end up going early. He first had heart issues when I was a freshman in high school, and he is now in his 80's, so he's done well for a long time. I am supposed to do a 5k while down there on the 15th, but have done very little running recently given the covid issues and just being so busy elsewhere. I am planning to do it regardless and will likely end up doing a walk/run scenario. Currently trying to plan some summer vacation time as well. My daughter got an apartment for next year in college with a roommate. It is on campus, but a bit further up away from the main areas of campus, so she decided she would like her car down there with her. So we are currently planning a father/daughter drive through Canada in early August to get her back to school. Hope everyone is doing well!!!

I'm sorry to hear about the lingering chest congestion as well as your father's health issues.

The father daughter drive sounds like it could be a fun adventure!

Thanks for checking in!

2023-03-29 10:44 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by canadarn2001 ADVICE NEEDED please! Ok...so if I am going to do an upgrade on my tri bike, which do you recommend me doing first? 1. Race wheels 2. Power meter I never really thought that I would ever need these additional things on my bike b/c I am just not that "techy" or "competitive" but now that I am using Zwift I really like seeing power/watts and how I can incorporate that into training to be more efficient. As for race wheels, well...people keep telling me I need them?

I got the race wheels first.  This was based on two things.  1) My coach told me the Power Meter was worth it if I were doing a full Ironman but if not then it wasn't worth it.  2) My bike mechanic said the two upgrades that are always worth it are the seat and wheels.  This is because anytime you sell a bike you can take them off and keep them for the next bike so you are never out anything.  

I still haven't done a full ironman and still don't have a power meter.  I do power training on a dumb trainer with $25 speed/cadence sensors.  If I am indoors, virtual power on a dumb trainer is good enough for me.  I pace by feel and HR in races.   It is easier for a coach to set hard limits to ensure that you don't bonk in a race with a Power meter, but the tip I saw in a post race interview with first over all pro-woman in a 703 race was to train with power and to race by feel.  She said that the power meter can lead you to underperform because it is based on your training thresholds and on race day you are tapered and rested so you often have a little bit more in the tank that will be left on the table if you aren't pacing by feel.  Pacing by feel is a dying art.  It takes a level of experience and practice.  First time racer or for a full iron race, etc. where you are more prone to blow up the power meter will keep you in the race so coaches are going to want to you use the power meter to make sure you get to the finish because it is more important for them that you don't blow up than that you squeeze out 1-2% more watts. 

Note:  If you want power for indoor training in Zwift you can get top of the line speed/cadence sensors for $100 and the cheap stuff for under $30.   Then you get all the watts data in Zwift that you want to see. 

Edited by BlueBoy26 2023-03-29 10:55 AM
2023-03-31 10:34 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Agree with the pro about the power meter. I can't imagine training without one, especially in the winter when I'm almost always inside and so don't have challenges like keeping up with others on a ride, actual hills, etc. Without some sort of metric, it's really hard for me to quantify effort and keep overall training stress at a manageable level. I'll either push too hard and trash my legs for running, or not hard enough to keep up and progress fitness. Might be different for a more experienced cyclist or if you use a trainer/program where a power metric is built in. (I have a "dumb trainer" and don't use things like Zwift or Sufferfest or whatever is popular these days.)

I use it less for racing. To be honest, often it's hard to even remember to look at it regularly. Sometimes I can't even (literally) focus on the data screen. Especially in a big event or one on complex terrain, you need to focus on more important things than your bike computer. And outdoors, power varies a lot moment to moment depending on terrain, wind speed, etc. etc. At best it's a benchmark like "Try not to spend more than 30-40 seconds above XXX in order not to ruin your legs for the run." In my mind, it's really a training tool.

I still don't have race wheels. The price just puts me off. I suppose for the amount of time and $$ I spend on training, it's not really that much, but it still horrifies me when I think of what else I could buy and what bills I could pay for that price.
2023-04-02 6:17 PM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Originally posted by canadarn2001 ADVICE NEEDED please! Ok...so if I am going to do an upgrade on my tri bike, which do you recommend me doing first? 1. Race wheels 2. Power meter I never really thought that I would ever need these additional things on my bike b/c I am just not that "techy" or "competitive" but now that I am using Zwift I really like seeing power/watts and how I can incorporate that into training to be more efficient. As for race wheels, well...people keep telling me I need them?

I got the race wheels first.  This was based on two things.  1) My coach told me the Power Meter was worth it if I were doing a full Ironman but if not then it wasn't worth it.  2) My bike mechanic said the two upgrades that are always worth it are the seat and wheels.  This is because anytime you sell a bike you can take them off and keep them for the next bike so you are never out anything.  

I still haven't done a full ironman and still don't have a power meter.  I do power training on a dumb trainer with $25 speed/cadence sensors.  If I am indoors, virtual power on a dumb trainer is good enough for me.  I pace by feel and HR in races.   It is easier for a coach to set hard limits to ensure that you don't bonk in a race with a Power meter, but the tip I saw in a post race interview with first over all pro-woman in a 703 race was to train with power and to race by feel.  She said that the power meter can lead you to underperform because it is based on your training thresholds and on race day you are tapered and rested so you often have a little bit more in the tank that will be left on the table if you aren't pacing by feel.  Pacing by feel is a dying art.  It takes a level of experience and practice.  First time racer or for a full iron race, etc. where you are more prone to blow up the power meter will keep you in the race so coaches are going to want to you use the power meter to make sure you get to the finish because it is more important for them that you don't blow up than that you squeeze out 1-2% more watts. 

Note:  If you want power for indoor training in Zwift you can get top of the line speed/cadence sensors for $100 and the cheap stuff for under $30.   Then you get all the watts data in Zwift that you want to see. 

I do use Zwift and got a Wahoo Core Kickr this past November so I have a PM on my trainer. I have seen gains in my FTP since starting Zwift. I have gone from W151 -> 167 so that feedback is helpful.

I don't have a fancy bike computer, just a cateye. In races, I have always gone by feel. I don't have a heart rate monitor (just my garmin) but honestly I don't pay much attention to it. The bike is not my strongest discipline but not my weakest either. I just feel like I want to be able to improve my bike as I think this is where you can gain time in a triathlon. I train with people who are stronger and faster than me so I feel like this is helpful (sometimes I'm holding on for dear life) but when training/biking in groups I am not sure I'd be able to use my power meter unless I was riding solo.

Definitely something to think about. My friend who I rode with today just got power pedals but says he hasn't figured out how to get them working yet.

2023-04-03 10:37 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by canadarn2001

I do use Zwift and got a Wahoo Core Kickr this past November so I have a PM on my trainer. I have seen gains in my FTP since starting Zwift. I have gone from W151 -> 167 so that feedback is helpful. I don't have a fancy bike computer, just a cateye. In races, I have always gone by feel. I don't have a heart rate monitor (just my garmin) but honestly I don't pay much attention to it. The bike is not my strongest discipline but not my weakest either. I just feel like I want to be able to improve my bike as I think this is where you can gain time in a triathlon. I train with people who are stronger and faster than me so I feel like this is helpful (sometimes I'm holding on for dear life) but when training/biking in groups I am not sure I'd be able to use my power meter unless I was riding solo. Definitely something to think about. My friend who I rode with today just got power pedals but says he hasn't figured out how to get them working yet.

It sounds like you'd need a Garmin (or Wahoo or similar) bike computer to connect to your power meter if you go that route. I know that you can connect it to your watch as well but I cannot glance at my watch and pedal hard at the same time so that would not work for me.  You may have more talent in that area though!

2023-04-05 6:31 AM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC

I do use Zwift and got a Wahoo Core Kickr this past November so I have a PM on my trainer. I have seen gains in my FTP since starting Zwift. I have gone from W151 -> 167 so that feedback is helpful. I don't have a fancy bike computer, just a cateye. In races, I have always gone by feel. I don't have a heart rate monitor (just my garmin) but honestly I don't pay much attention to it. The bike is not my strongest discipline but not my weakest either. I just feel like I want to be able to improve my bike as I think this is where you can gain time in a triathlon. I train with people who are stronger and faster than me so I feel like this is helpful (sometimes I'm holding on for dear life) but when training/biking in groups I am not sure I'd be able to use my power meter unless I was riding solo. Definitely something to think about. My friend who I rode with today just got power pedals but says he hasn't figured out how to get them working yet.

It sounds like you'd need a Garmin (or Wahoo or similar) bike computer to connect to your power meter if you go that route. I know that you can connect it to your watch as well but I cannot glance at my watch and pedal hard at the same time so that would not work for me.  You may have more talent in that area though!

I cannot look down at my watch either while riding. I think I have a list of thing now on my 'want'..

1. Power meter
2. bike computer
3. heart rate monitor.
2023-04-05 6:49 PM

User image

Expert

I cannot look down at my watch either while riding. I think I have a list of thing now on my 'want'..

1. Power meter
2. bike computer
3. heart rate monitor.

I have a garmin 503 bike computer. I think it's 5 years old. It has held up well. Before that I had a Wahoo sensor actually I had two of them and neither held up well. I think I got two years out of each. I use a heart rate monitor on the bike, because I can't look at my watch on the bike either. For running, I just use my watch.
I go back and forth on the power meter. I like the virtual power on the trainer. I just have not pulled the trigger. Full disclosure, I have been thinking about getting a power meter for at least a decade, I just can't seem to bring myself to spend the money.
2023-04-08 9:43 AM

User image

1. Power meter
2. bike computer
3. heart rate monitor.

I can't look down at my watch either, so like Jim, I use a Garmin but the 520.

I personally would go with a power meter before race wheels. You can rent race wheels, but you can't rent a power meter.

I have the Garmin Vector 3 but only the single pedal power meter because they were on sale for a ridiculously low price. I highly suggest if you get the Garmin Vector 3 to get the power meter in both pedals. I find myself using my left leg way more than the right to get the power up. And that's not a good thing.

The Vectors were also very easy to pair with my Garmin watch. I have a few friends who bought different power meters and they have trouble pairing it to their Garmin watches and bike computers. I run out of patience incredibly quickly with tech things not working and would want to throw my bike out the window or over a cliff if I had tech issues haha.

DC Rainmaker is a great place to go for reviews of power meters.
2023-04-09 9:01 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Denver, Colorado
I do not have an advice on neither the wheels, not the meter, but it is an interesting discussion and I am so happy that you are all so knowledgable in these topics

I hope everyone had a nice and sunne, and productive weekend!

2023-04-10 3:02 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

Tridot:  A lot has changed since I did the program in 2016.  First off in 2016 I didn’t have any works outs being synced to the cloud to all my workouts were manual entries.  I didn’t have a bike trainer, but did my first power training when I was on the Tridot program in 2016 using stationary bikes at the gym where I swim.  There were no Unicorns, Ponicorns, Pegacorns (I’ll explain later).  There were not Mark Allan Videos.  There was no RaceX app.

The synced data is the way to go if you are going to do Tridot training.  Tridot uses data to develop their platform and workouts and if you aren’t syncing data you are better off to just get a pre-written plan because that is away all you will get from tridot.

When you sync your data it analyzes it to see if you were at the Watts/paces/Hear Rates that were prescribed for the workout for the durations prescribed.  It then gives you a score from 1-100 of how well you executed the workout.  90 is like getting an A (Exceeds expectations), 80 (above average) is like getting a B, 70 is getting a C (average), 60 is like getting a D (below average), 50 (failing).  If you get a score of 100.  You get points for each work out and at you hit mile stones you get things like discounts on Trodot Race Apparel, bonus features like optimized swim drills, weigh training workouts, etc.  If you get a perfect 100 you get a Unicorn which is an addition 5 point.  Three unicorns is a week is an Pegacorn, and a Ponicorn is a 100 on a recovery workout (no bonus points.  Only bonuses on Priority workouts).  These bonuses were the think that I like the most about the TriDot training.  They weren’t perfect.  I had one work on a race week that said to do interval at race pace which game out to Z4, but the training plan listed them as Z3 so I didn’t at the Z3 pace so I would get a high score rather than in Z4 to get the training effect that they were intended for.  I also would have long rungs with tempo work at the end and if I went out too fast at the beginning of the workout and went into the tempo zone I would cut my tempo intervals short at the end of the workout so that I would hit the target times in each zone and get the high score rather than doing the intervals at the correct duration.  So not perfect, and a coach would not approve of cheating on workouts to get higher points.  It is like public schools that get funding based on test scores so they teach to the test and skip things that leave holes in the education that don’t get tested.  It was fun for me though to game the system.

Tridot synced bike workouts to TrainingPeaking which pulled them into TrainerRoads.  It was nice to have my bike workouts all set up for me, but they were the were really poorly structured.  I would have a workout that said do 3x30” intervals and 4 x 4’ intervals and it would put all the intervals in the first 20 minutes of the bike ride then have 40 minutes at recovery level power with not variation in power or cadence.  No drills, no in-riding instruction, to coaches tips, etc.  These were the worse structured indoor bike training workouts I have ever seen.

The Mark Allen videos were okay.  They explained the purpose of your workout and tips on how to complete it.  I didn’t feel they really added anything to the training plan though.  You already had instruction on how to do the workout without the video.  The videos were not cameo of the GOAT, but he could have been reciting nursery rhymes or poetry and the Cameo would have been just as cool to see.  He also did Monday motivational videos every week, but again he could have said about anything and it would have been cool to see him, but what he said was not what stuck with me and not the value in the TriDot training. 

This is supposed to give you a custom race plan.  You looks at race elevations, if you have a file of the race course, it make weather adjustments for humidity and temperatures, etc.  I thought this would be a good tool, but it was garbage.  I think it was trying to calculate too many things and lost its way.  I did a half marathon in November at 1:20:13 as a “B” race then when I went to do an “A” race half marathon in March on a similarly flat course with similar altitude and similar temps and humidity I put my predicted race time a 1:26:30.   That didn’t make any sense and all and my actual race time was 1:17:30.  There is group page for TriDot athletes to ask each other questions and someone said they got a race plan that was 50 minutes slower than her last race (distance?) and that her actual race was 50 minutes faster than the race plan (go figure).  Lots of people confirmed that RaceX was like throwing a dart.  You would be better with not race plan at all than to follow the RaceX training plan.  Very disappointing. 

The Training:  I have been averaging about 7 hours a week for the past couple of years.  I do a lot of high intensity workouts to were my baseline TSS is around 350-400 a week and when I peak for races is get up to 500-600 TSS.  With TriDot it pushed me from 7 hours a week up to 9-1/2 hours a week.  I felt the effects of training fatigue for the first time in years. My peak weeks I was in the 530 TSS.  So the training was good.  It was not really dialed into races through.  I have two “B” races and two “A” races on my calendar.  I got not taper at all for the “B” races and workouts were scheduled on race days right over the top of the races.  They is just unprofessional.  I get that the workouts are planned by robots, but they can surly work out the software to not schedule workouts on days that have races already listed.  The tapering for the first “A” race kept all the swim and bike workouts per the robot generated plan.  I got a swim TT assessment schedule two days before my first “A” race.  There were reduced volume “race week workouts” of the run though (possibly because it was a running event).  So the taper was not very steep.  I ended up modifying it (i.e. dropping the swim test) and shortening the bike intensity/duration on race week.  The second A race kind of slid through the cracks.  It was my marathon planned 6 weeks after the half marathon.  Prior to staring the 8-week training I was up to 16 miles long runs every week for marathon training.  When I started it just the long runs the first 3 weeks down to ½ marathon length long runs.  Then I got a rest week after the half marathon then I got a 5 week build to the marathon.  That build only got my long run up to 13 miles.  So when you have two races all the optimized training focuses on the first race and nothing past that.  I had on phone call with a TriDot coach and he said that if I have been working with him he would have had me not put the half marathon on the race list so that the optimization would have built to a marathon the whole 8 weeks instead of building to a half marathon the first 3 weeks followed by a build to the marathon (that was too short to get to where I needed to be).  Also, since my marathon is on a Monday the computer missed my week of taper for the marathon.  After talking to the coach I went ahead and planned my own 2-week taper.

So…TriDot works great if you know how to game the system and make adjustments when it gives you plans that are glitchy.  If you have a coach they will be very deliberate in helping you game the system to get the workouts that you should be doing and the computer generated glitches that I saw a lot of in my 8week training. It seems silly that you pay for a computer generated training plan so you don’t have to spend a lot of time planning your own work outs or have a coach, then you spend just as much time verifying that the workouts are as expected or you ended up getting a TriDot coach for them to spend their time verifying that the workouts are as expected.  It guess it is not worse than the coaches that use a coaching software to help them with their work.    

At $150 a month the Mark Allen addition of TriDot would not be worth it to me.  There is a $100 version that does everything the Mark Allen version does but without the Mark Allen cameos.  There is also a 30$ version that does everything that the $100 version does but without all the bonus features that you can earn with you training point (swim drill, weight training programs, etc.  There is a $15 version that does everything the $30 plan does except you can only enter one race on your schedule (and it might be limited to a sprint/Olympic distance race). Since multiple race algorithms don’t work as they should there is really not advantage to being able to enter multiple races.  So, the $15 a month plan it the best Tridot option.  It might be something I would do if I wanted to do something different than what I have always done leading up to the USAT National Olympic race in August (not registered for it, but interested if I can justify another destination race this year). Everything but the $15 plan is overpriced in mu opinion, but the idea is for there to be one plan that is affordable to most and then premium plans for those who are willing to pay for them.          

Edited by BlueBoy26 2023-04-10 3:06 PM
2023-04-11 9:03 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Wow, this is great analysis!
2023-04-11 10:13 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Denver, Colorado
Wetsuit question: how awful and difficult it is to swim breaststroke in a wetsuit?

I am obviously not planning to do so, but breaststroke has always been my back-up stroke in triathlons. I completed all my tri races, including HIM, without the wetsuit, and this will be my first year using it. I had two situations in the past when BR saved my race: 1) I got panick attack in the water and basically couldn't put my head under water. I completed the swim with breaststroke "don't wet your hair" style. 2) As I was swimming towards the shore, the water got choppy with splashes all over the place, and I had a hard time breathing swimming free, as water just run to my mouth. I finished with breaststroke (I was able to have my head high enough for inhale that none of the water got to my mouth while breathing.
For my upcoming races I train free and hopefully I am strong enough and the conditions are good enough all will go perfect, but I do want to have a back-up style. I do practice backstroke as well, but it gives me more anxiety than BR.

If for some extreme reason I have to swicth to BR (and back won't work either), how bad it will be to swim that style in wetsuit? I am definitely plan it to try it once I go open water, but thought I would ask you all for your input. I thought it migyt be just uncomfortable for the legs, but I read somewhere that due to the buyouncy it is hard to manouver the stroke, as most of the body will be up in the water, which is not what BR needs.

Again, this is to plan the worst case scenario
2023-04-12 7:10 AM

User image

Tridot:  A lot has changed since I did the program in 2016.  First off in 2016 I didn’t have any works outs being synced to the cloud to all my workouts were manual entries.  I didn’t have a bike trainer, but did my first power training when I was on the Tridot program in 2016 using stationary bikes at the gym where I swim.  There were no Unicorns, Ponicorns, Pegacorns (I’ll explain later).  There were not Mark Allan Videos.  There was no RaceX app.

The synced data is the way to go if you are going to do Tridot training.  Tridot uses data to develop their platform and workouts and if you aren’t syncing data you are better off to just get a pre-written plan because that is away all you will get from tridot.

When you sync your data it analyzes it to see if you were at the Watts/paces/Hear Rates that were prescribed for the workout for the durations prescribed.  It then gives you a score from 1-100 of how well you executed the workout.  90 is like getting an A (Exceeds expectations), 80 (above average) is like getting a B, 70 is getting a C (average), 60 is like getting a D (below average), 50 (failing).  If you get a score of 100.  You get points for each work out and at you hit mile stones you get things like discounts on Trodot Race Apparel, bonus features like optimized swim drills, weigh training workouts, etc.  If you get a perfect 100 you get a Unicorn which is an addition 5 point.  Three unicorns is a week is an Pegacorn, and a Ponicorn is a 100 on a recovery workout (no bonus points.  Only bonuses on Priority workouts).  These bonuses were the think that I like the most about the TriDot training.  They weren’t perfect.  I had one work on a race week that said to do interval at race pace which game out to Z4, but the training plan listed them as Z3 so I didn’t at the Z3 pace so I would get a high score rather than in Z4 to get the training effect that they were intended for.  I also would have long rungs with tempo work at the end and if I went out too fast at the beginning of the workout and went into the tempo zone I would cut my tempo intervals short at the end of the workout so that I would hit the target times in each zone and get the high score rather than doing the intervals at the correct duration.  So not perfect, and a coach would not approve of cheating on workouts to get higher points.  It is like public schools that get funding based on test scores so they teach to the test and skip things that leave holes in the education that don’t get tested.  It was fun for me though to game the system.

Tridot synced bike workouts to TrainingPeaking which pulled them into TrainerRoads.  It was nice to have my bike workouts all set up for me, but they were the were really poorly structured.  I would have a workout that said do 3x30” intervals and 4 x 4’ intervals and it would put all the intervals in the first 20 minutes of the bike ride then have 40 minutes at recovery level power with not variation in power or cadence.  No drills, no in-riding instruction, to coaches tips, etc.  These were the worse structured indoor bike training workouts I have ever seen.

The Mark Allen videos were okay.  They explained the purpose of your workout and tips on how to complete it.  I didn’t feel they really added anything to the training plan though.  You already had instruction on how to do the workout without the video.  The videos were not cameo of the GOAT, but he could have been reciting nursery rhymes or poetry and the Cameo would have been just as cool to see.  He also did Monday motivational videos every week, but again he could have said about anything and it would have been cool to see him, but what he said was not what stuck with me and not the value in the TriDot training. 

This is supposed to give you a custom race plan.  You looks at race elevations, if you have a file of the race course, it make weather adjustments for humidity and temperatures, etc.  I thought this would be a good tool, but it was garbage.  I think it was trying to calculate too many things and lost its way.  I did a half marathon in November at 1:20:13 as a “B” race then when I went to do an “A” race half marathon in March on a similarly flat course with similar altitude and similar temps and humidity I put my predicted race time a 1:26:30.   That didn’t make any sense and all and my actual race time was 1:17:30.  There is group page for TriDot athletes to ask each other questions and someone said they got a race plan that was 50 minutes slower than her last race (distance?) and that her actual race was 50 minutes faster than the race plan (go figure).  Lots of people confirmed that RaceX was like throwing a dart.  You would be better with not race plan at all than to follow the RaceX training plan.  Very disappointing. 

The Training:  I have been averaging about 7 hours a week for the past couple of years.  I do a lot of high intensity workouts to were my baseline TSS is around 350-400 a week and when I peak for races is get up to 500-600 TSS.  With TriDot it pushed me from 7 hours a week up to 9-1/2 hours a week.  I felt the effects of training fatigue for the first time in years. My peak weeks I was in the 530 TSS.  So the training was good.  It was not really dialed into races through.  I have two “B” races and two “A” races on my calendar.  I got not taper at all for the “B” races and workouts were scheduled on race days right over the top of the races.  They is just unprofessional.  I get that the workouts are planned by robots, but they can surly work out the software to not schedule workouts on days that have races already listed.  The tapering for the first “A” race kept all the swim and bike workouts per the robot generated plan.  I got a swim TT assessment schedule two days before my first “A” race.  There were reduced volume “race week workouts” of the run though (possibly because it was a running event).  So the taper was not very steep.  I ended up modifying it (i.e. dropping the swim test) and shortening the bike intensity/duration on race week.  The second A race kind of slid through the cracks.  It was my marathon planned 6 weeks after the half marathon.  Prior to staring the 8-week training I was up to 16 miles long runs every week for marathon training.  When I started it just the long runs the first 3 weeks down to ½ marathon length long runs.  Then I got a rest week after the half marathon then I got a 5 week build to the marathon.  That build only got my long run up to 13 miles.  So when you have two races all the optimized training focuses on the first race and nothing past that.  I had on phone call with a TriDot coach and he said that if I have been working with him he would have had me not put the half marathon on the race list so that the optimization would have built to a marathon the whole 8 weeks instead of building to a half marathon the first 3 weeks followed by a build to the marathon (that was too short to get to where I needed to be).  Also, since my marathon is on a Monday the computer missed my week of taper for the marathon.  After talking to the coach I went ahead and planned my own 2-week taper.

So…TriDot works great if you know how to game the system and make adjustments when it gives you plans that are glitchy.  If you have a coach they will be very deliberate in helping you game the system to get the workouts that you should be doing and the computer generated glitches that I saw a lot of in my 8week training. It seems silly that you pay for a computer generated training plan so you don’t have to spend a lot of time planning your own work outs or have a coach, then you spend just as much time verifying that the workouts are as expected or you ended up getting a TriDot coach for them to spend their time verifying that the workouts are as expected.  It guess it is not worse than the coaches that use a coaching software to help them with their work.    

At $150 a month the Mark Allen addition of TriDot would not be worth it to me.  There is a $100 version that does everything the Mark Allen version does but without the Mark Allen cameos.  There is also a 30$ version that does everything that the $100 version does but without all the bonus features that you can earn with you training point (swim drill, weight training programs, etc.  There is a $15 version that does everything the $30 plan does except you can only enter one race on your schedule (and it might be limited to a sprint/Olympic distance race). Since multiple race algorithms don’t work as they should there is really not advantage to being able to enter multiple races.  So, the $15 a month plan it the best Tridot option.  It might be something I would do if I wanted to do something different than what I have always done leading up to the USAT National Olympic race in August (not registered for it, but interested if I can justify another destination race this year). Everything but the $15 plan is overpriced in mu opinion, but the idea is for there to be one plan that is affordable to most and then premium plans for those who are willing to pay for them.          

So my question is, I am on a tri team with 3 Ironman/USAT certified coaches. I really cannot afford to pay for their services. Would this plan, the 15 a month plan, be worth the investment or just find a free training plan online?
2023-04-12 7:14 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I cannot look down at my watch either while riding. I think I have a list of thing now on my 'want'.. 1. Power meter 2. bike computer 3. heart rate monitor.

Garmin has a $100 off power meter offer now. This is a mail in rebate. 

Garmin Edge 540 just came out.  That means the 530 price will drop.  It's currently $250.

HRM -- both Garmin and Wahoo run about $50.  These do not last forever so expect to replace it :-(  If you do not want a strap, I think other Manatees can address the Schoche arm strap.

Regarding wheels, what wheels do you have now? Do you plan to use these new wheels all the time or only in races? Disc brakes? Nice wheels can make a big difference for sure. They just make things more pleasant.  The question is, what is the delta between what you have now and what your budget allows you to upgrade to? 

2023-04-12 7:24 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Thanks for the review. I think many of us have enough experience to make these less expensive plans work. The advantage of a coach is hand holding and accountability.

Have you tried  BestBikeSplit? I thought that it worked well at Chattanooga where the course was already there. I did not think that it worked as well for smaller events where I uploaded my own course.  Basically, I would recommend it for a "big" race where they have the course already available. Of course, this is only if you like data.  The advanced weather thing is just a convenience. You can look at the map and look at the hourly forecast and say, "I will have a tail wind until I turn at mile 20." 

2023-04-12 8:39 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Marysia, in my experience it's not that difficult or awful to do breaststroke in a wetsuit. I don't know about doing the entire race distance that way (though certainly some people do in shorter events with lots of beginners)--but many times I have done a bit of it while trying to sight in difficult conditions, catch my breath after inhaling water, etc. If your wetsuit fits properly, it shouldn't be an issue. If you were going to routinely train using strokes other than freestyle in conditions that required a wetsuit (like a poorly heated pool or a lake with marginal temps), I'd suggest a sleeveless suit or a sleeveless shortie, since it allows more freedom of movement, but not worth it for occasional use when racing (unless, maybe, you were planning to do an entire IM or HIM swim that way).
2023-04-12 8:47 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

I use Tridot and think I like it. I say "think" b/c the first time i signed up to use it was winter of 2020 and we all know what happened March 2020. While I may have continued to use it just to keep a base until the world opened up again, I broke my knee and that put an end to those plans. In November 2022 I signed up to be part of its pre-season project with the goal of doing Chattanooga 70.3 May 2023.  I was enjoying the first month when I injured myself. The injury had nothing to do with the training I was doing. I was pretty much on the DL until last month so again my experience with the program was not robust. As I type this I think I see a theme: start TriDot and get hurt! Of course neither was the program's fault, but I will now blame it 

I've switched my race to Augusta 70.3 which is in September, so am just getting back to trying to follow a plan. My impressions of TriDot so far is I find it better than any canned plan I've used. It is not perfect, but if you have any experience in the area it is easy to make the adjustments you think you need to make. I like the fact that the program automatically changes your workout zones as you get fitter. Certainly, you can do that yourself with a canned plan, but it is math It also automatically slows your pace on run workouts that are scheduled to be done it hot weather though I find this to be unhelpful as it uses your watch to decide whether the temps were high and that is really inaccurate. Plus, living in Florida 99.99% of my runs are in miserable weather and I am used to it.    

I do agree that many of the bike workouts put the hard work at the front end so once you get them out of the way you will have a long boring zone 2 ride. I think, but am not sure, that as the rides get longer or more intense that there are more "work" blocks which go further into the ride, so less just zone 2 at the end. I'm not sure why they are set up that way, but suspect it is on purpose since if you read the ride description it is exactly what appears on the synced workout. 

Since I have not actually used the platform to race day I cannot comment on the RaceX feature. I did put Augusta on the calendar so it would give me a plan targeting that date. I have not loaded any other races.

One feature that I have not tried out yet, but sounds cool is that if you've taken a DNA test from Ancestry or 23 and Me you can upload the results and supposedly it will create a more specific plan for you based on what the DNA says about whether you have the fast twitch muscle gene (I do), the gene most elite endurance athletes have (I don't), or how you are able to increase your VO2 max (apparently I am good with that). I'm not sure what, if anything else, it uses.  I think it would be interesting to compare the workouts it has for me now v what I'd have after uploading the results. One day I'll get around to checking that out, but right now I'm focusing on just trying to get my workout mojo back.

Finally price. With the pre-season project they gave you the Mark Allen edition for 2 months. It is not worth the extra price they wanted even at the discount they were given, so I am doing the $25/month version. 

Second finally, i used 80/20 Endurance for one of my 70.3s. I think that is a good canned plan and works well with training peaks, so when you change your zones in TP the workouts pushed to your Garmin from 80/20 automatically change. Quite frankly I find the workouts to be very similar in both platforms, but I like the more interactive platform of tridot. 

2023-04-12 9:46 AM

User image

Originally posted by marysia83

Wetsuit question: how awful and difficult it is to swim breaststroke in a wetsuit?

I am obviously not planning to do so, but breaststroke has always been my back-up stroke in triathlons. I completed all my tri races, including HIM, without the wetsuit, and this will be my first year using it. I had two situations in the past when BR saved my race: 1) I got panick attack in the water and basically couldn't put my head under water. I completed the swim with breaststroke "don't wet your hair" style. 2) As I was swimming towards the shore, the water got choppy with splashes all over the place, and I had a hard time breathing swimming free, as water just run to my mouth. I finished with breaststroke (I was able to have my head high enough for inhale that none of the water got to my mouth while breathing.
For my upcoming races I train free and hopefully I am strong enough and the conditions are good enough all will go perfect, but I do want to have a back-up style. I do practice backstroke as well, but it gives me more anxiety than BR.

If for some extreme reason I have to swicth to BR (and back won't work either), how bad it will be to swim that style in wetsuit? I am definitely plan it to try it once I go open water, but thought I would ask you all for your input. I thought it migyt be just uncomfortable for the legs, but I read somewhere that due to the buyouncy it is hard to manouver the stroke, as most of the body will be up in the water, which is not what BR needs.

Again, this is to plan the worst case scenario

I haven't done breaststroke in a wetsuit, but I've seen several who have. I do have to caution you that if you do resort to breaststroke to please move away from others. I was passing someone doing breaststroke at a Stroke and Stride (put on by Without Limits at Boulder Rez every Thursday in the summer) and he nailed my in the ribs with his whip kick. He actually broke 2 of my ribs and displaced them.

This was a few weeks before the Boulder IM 70.3 in 2017. This is when I learned to never try a 70.3 with broken ribs because you end up in a police car at mile 4 of the run and have no idea how you got there.
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Marvelous Manatees - Stronger than Ever! Rss Feed  

of 33