BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2014-01-13 7:47 AM
in reply to: KOM

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED

Originally posted by KOM This has been an emotionally challenging week. My MIL passed away unexpectedly on Tuesday. My hubby and his sister (who lives on Cape Cod) flew down to FL on Wednesday and have been getting my FIL through things. I have been trying to keep everything moving forward at home and help our 2 daughters grieve. I think that without this group and challenge I doubt that I would have gotten any workouts in. I am hoping next week is better but will have to see. FIL my be moving in for a short while.... Workout time: 283 minutes= 9 points No weight gain= 5 points I think I lost a 1/2 pound but it is late, I need to be up at 6 and I don't want to change screens to look up what that is worth Have a not too Manic Monday!!

I am sorry to hear this.  I know things will be stressful.  Hopefully workouts can make help a bit.

2014-01-13 9:46 AM
in reply to: hoffsquared

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Subject: Weight loss
Dropped one pound this week to 164. Workouts hit 480 minutes. I score that as 16 workout points plus 15 on weight loss for a total of 31.

Happy training out there.

Steve
2014-01-13 10:04 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED
Originally posted by KOM

This has been an emotionally challenging week. My MIL passed away unexpectedly on Tuesday. My hubby and his sister (who lives on Cape Cod) flew down to FL on Wednesday and have been getting my FIL through things. I have been trying to keep everything moving forward at home and help our 2 daughters grieve. I think that without this group and challenge I doubt that I would have gotten any workouts in. I am hoping next week is better but will have to see. FIL my be moving in for a short while....

Kathy--Condolences to you and your family on the loss of your Mother in Law. A very difficult part of being a gray guy/girl is we're all entering that time period where the people who have been the most important friends, companions, mentors and family members in our lives leave us to continue their journey with out us. And it's so hard.

Peace and prayers to you and your family.

Steve

Edited by lutzman 2014-01-13 12:38 PM
2014-01-13 11:01 AM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: A sad reminder
It's been talked about before on our forum and this is a very sad reminder that our sport is not without risk, especially it seems for those of us age 50+.

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/24427268/competitor-dies-during-hits-tri...

I tried without success to determine the level of experience of this gentleman. I did a search and his name doesn't show up as having participated in any USA Triathlon or Duathlon events in 2013. He could have raced in non-sanctioned events or USA Triathlon may have quickly deleted him from the database...although I don't know why they would do that.

It will be worth following up in the next several days to learn about the water conditions on the day of the race as well as his level of experience in triathlon events. It would also be worth knowing his level of fitness. If you see anything helpful, please post it up.

As we've discussed:

--Show up fully race fit and prepared on the day of your event
--Warm up properly and thoroughly pre-race including swimming if at all possible
--If you have ANY concerns, don't go in the water. There will be other races.

Steve

2014-01-13 11:35 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Expert
Missouri
Subject: RE: Challenge update

Looks like my post last night didn't go through.

Here's my numbers for the week:
2 lbs lost = +20
no gain = +5
347 minutes = +11.5
total of 36.5 points

2014-01-13 11:41 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Originally posted by KOM This has been an emotionally challenging week. My MIL passed away unexpectedly on Tuesday. My hubby and his sister (who lives on Cape Cod) flew down to FL on Wednesday and have been getting my FIL through things. I have been trying to keep everything moving forward at home and help our 2 daughters grieve. I think that without this group and challenge I doubt that I would have gotten any workouts in. I am hoping next week is better but will have to see. FIL my be moving in for a short while.... Workout time: 283 minutes= 9 points No weight gain= 5 points I think I lost a 1/2 pound but it is late, I need to be up at 6 and I don't want to change screens to look up what that is worth Have a not too Manic Monday!!

So sorry to hear this.  Keeping your family in my thoughts.

2014-01-13 12:44 PM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Noticed on the WU during my swim session today that I was automatically brushing my hip w/ thumb w/o any thought. Progress!

2014-01-13 1:09 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Subject: RE: A sad reminder

Originally posted by lutzman It's been talked about before on our forum and this is a very sad reminder that our sport is not without risk, especially it seems for those of us age 50+. http://www.nbc-2.com/story/24427268/competitor-dies-during-hits-tri... I tried without success to determine the level of experience of this gentleman. I did a search and his name doesn't show up as having participated in any USA Triathlon or Duathlon events in 2013. He could have raced in non-sanctioned events or USA Triathlon may have quickly deleted him from the database...although I don't know why they would do that. It will be worth following up in the next several days to learn about the water conditions on the day of the race as well as his level of experience in triathlon events. It would also be worth knowing his level of fitness. If you see anything helpful, please post it up. As we've discussed: --Show up fully race fit and prepared on the day of your event --Warm up properly and thoroughly pre-race including swimming if at all possible --If you have ANY concerns, don't go in the water. There will be other races. Steve

That is sad. My friend who did the full the day before said he heard this person was a novice. My first Oly a pro had a heart attack and died. It can happen. You last line is the one to remember, Steve.

Edited by ceilidh 2014-01-13 1:11 PM
2014-01-13 1:12 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by KOM This has been an emotionally challenging week.

Sorry Kathy, sending prayers and good thoughts you way.

2014-01-13 1:13 PM

User image

Regular
Kathy so sorry to hear about situation.

I tally fifteen points last week.
2014-01-13 2:35 PM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Connecticut
Originally posted by soccermom15

So sorry to hear this.  Keeping your family in my thoughts.

Kathy- Very sorry to hear about your mother-in-law. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

2014-01-13 5:39 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Regular
Newport News
I’ve redone my 2014 race schedule. Since I will not be doing the Chesapeake Bay Swim this year I came up with an even more ambitious schedule. I’ve scheduled the following:

4-5 open water swims between 1 and 3 miles each
3 pool swim meets
5-6 Sprint Triathlons
3 Aquabikes @ the international or ½ IM distance
1 Century Bike Ride
Virginia Senior Games in swimming and cycling

I have not scheduled any running events, if I do any they will be at the 5 or 10k distance as training for my sprint triathlons, no halves or full marathons.

I’m flying Southwest to LA so I should have plenty of time to work my training plan and if the pilot can’t find LAX I’ll have even more.
2014-01-13 6:40 PM
in reply to: tkatzhyman

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Originally posted by tkatzhyman I’ve redone my 2014 race schedule. Since I will not be doing the Chesapeake Bay Swim this year I came up with an even more ambitious schedule. I’ve scheduled the following: 4-5 open water swims between 1 and 3 miles each 3 pool swim meets 5-6 Sprint Triathlons 3 Aquabikes @ the international or ½ IM distance 1 Century Bike Ride Virginia Senior Games in swimming and cycling I have not scheduled any running events, if I do any they will be at the 5 or 10k distance as training for my sprint triathlons, no halves or full marathons. I’m flying Southwest to LA so I should have plenty of time to work my training plan and if the pilot can’t find LAX I’ll have even more.

Looks like a good plan!  I am thinking the East Coast Super Sprint, maybe the RTC Sprint, and the Rev 3 Oly in June. Then maybe some of the Peluso Open Water swim races and the Heart of VA double metric century in September....still debating my full plans.

2014-01-13 7:43 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by hoffsquared

Noticed on the WU during my swim session today that I was automatically brushing my hip w/ thumb w/o any thought. Progress!

Uh oh!  Your turning into a fish!

(thumbs_up_bciy.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
thumbs_up_bciy.jpg (29KB - 3 downloads)
2014-01-13 10:59 PM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Subject: RE: Weight loss
Originally posted by lutzman

Dropped one pound this week to 164. Workouts hit 480 minutes. I score that as 16 workout points plus 15 on weight loss for a total of 31.

Happy training out there.

Steve

OK Steve, you got me is that who I think it is standing next to Boston Billy in your new avatar?

Edited by JREDFLY 2014-01-13 11:31 PM
2014-01-13 11:34 PM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Here you go, looks like some people really want that coveted black dog mug. Great start!!!

Feel free to keep me honest and let me know if I made a mistake.

This a little time consuming wthi this many people (look at the time of my post) so PLEASE try to list your points like this so I don''t have to do the calculations

2.5 pounds lost = 25 points

5 pts for no wieght gain = 5 points

340 work out minutews = 11.33 points

Total points for week = 41.33points

Thanks,
James

Edited by JREDFLY 2014-01-13 11:45 PM

(GGG 1-12-14.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
GGG 1-12-14.jpg (140KB - 3 downloads)

2014-01-14 6:33 AM
in reply to: JREDFLY

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Feel free to keep me honest and let me know if I made a mistake. This a little time consuming wthi this many people (look at the time of my post) so PLEASE try to list your points like this so I don''t have to do the calculations 2.5 pounds lost = 25 points 5 pts for no wieght gain = 5 points 340 work out minutews = 11.33 points Total points for week = 41.33points Thanks, James

Folks are starting the new year right! Thanks for all the effort. in doing this, James.

I will be better  next week.

Actually, no I won't.. I won't be able to post until Tuesday. Should I just hold off until the next week and post 2 weeks at a time?

2014-01-14 6:34 AM
in reply to: JREDFLY

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by JREDFLY Here you go, looks like some people really want that coveted black dog mug. Great start!!!

Feel free to keep me honest and let me know if I made a mistake.

This a little time consuming wthi this many people (look at the time of my post) so PLEASE try to list your points like this so I don''t have to do the calculations

2.5 pounds lost = 25 points

5 pts for no wieght gain = 5 points

340 work out minutews = 11.33 points

Total points for week = 41.33points

Thanks, James

Thank you James for doing this!

2014-01-14 7:15 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Thanks James.  I will be better about providing the right information in the right way this week.

This is mainly for Scott:  So I have been paying much more attention to how things 'feel' in the water.  There is one aspect of my stroke that seems quite out of whack.  It is when I breath.  I breath to the right.  When I take a breath, I have trouble getting my left hand to feel like it is grabbing the water (the catch).  It seems like I am missing that perfect point most of the time.  Sometimes I know the angle of my wrist is wrong (hand sort of pointing up when I start the stroke), other times I am pressing the water but it feels 'soft'.  Wondering if I need to tuck my chin a bit more or if I am reaching for too long or too short.

I really like the visual of climbing the ladder.

Hope everyone has a good day!

2014-01-14 8:51 AM

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Thanks for being the scorekeeper, James. Will use this format when reporting.

Dave
2014-01-14 8:57 AM

User image

Subject: RE: swim lap count
As a new swimmer, I am wondering how everyone keeps track of their laps? I have a watch to keep time, that I pause when I rest, then restart when I go again, and right now I try to keep count, but as the distance increases, I"m afraid I will lose count. Any tips?
I am enjoying reading all the swim tips-thanks

Edited by Kris67 2014-01-14 9:57 AM

2014-01-14 11:44 AM
in reply to: #4915093

User image

Connecticut
Kris- that's a great question. I was wondering the same thing.

I will be interested in seeing the responses. Being a new swimmer as well, I can't express how helpful Scots insight has been. Thanks again Scott.
2014-01-14 12:00 PM
in reply to: Kris67

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Originally posted by Kris67 As a new swimmer, I am wondering how everyone keeps track of their laps? I have a watch to keep time, that I pause when I rest, then restart when I go again, and right now I try to keep count, but as the distance increases, I"m afraid I will lose count. Any tips? I am enjoying reading all the swim tips-thanks

There is such a device as a lap counter which I have honestly never used.  Some watches (not sure of the brand) also count laps.  I just count. Every 4laps I know I did 100.  However, most of my sets don't call for super long continuous swims where it would be easier to lose the count.

2014-01-14 4:47 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by Kris67 As a new swimmer, I am wondering how everyone keeps track of their laps? I have a watch to keep time, that I pause when I rest, then restart when I go again, and right now I try to keep count, but as the distance increases, I"m afraid I will lose count. Any tips? I am enjoying reading all the swim tips-thanks

I have a finger lap counter watch that I use. about 25 bucks and it keeps track of lap time, best lap, average, etc. I love it. I am not a tech person by any means and would rather go no tech at all. But after about 20 laps, (okay, fewer than that) I lose count.

2014-01-14 5:34 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Hi Kris -

Assuming you are training in a pool that has lane lines there is a really easy way to keep track of laps.  The discs that make up the lane line are loose.  So go all the way to the wall, grab the last disc, and slide the discs back towards the middle of the pool (it may take a fair amount of effort, just be patient and pull).  You only need to go a foot or two.  Then, every repetition or lap, however you choose to count, slide a disc down to the wall.  If there are a lot of people in the pool and lots of waves, you may need to 'refresh' the position of the discs (slide them back down) but for the most part, they will stay far enough down that you can get an accurate count.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by triguy1043
Views: 18742 Posts: 190

2014-04-02 11:34 AM lsousa
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 24, 2012
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 3
I didn’t used to like to run slow. You begin to recalibrate your needs and wants and if-only you could jog an easy two miles, three times per week. Running is a gift.

date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete
date : December 4, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
She's back. We were able to interview Deanna Babcock, a triathlete who galvanized the forums over several months with her story of a tragic accident and subsequent recovery.

date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.
date : February 8, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 25
No one likes to look like a fool, but it’s hard not to when you don’t know what you’re doing as a beginner, so if it helps, go ahead and pretend.

date : May 30, 2005
author : pjsuperhawk
Maintaining a positive attitude and a sense of priority will be my keys to success. Before summer fades into fall, I will be a Triathlete and eager to race again.
date : October 3, 2004
author : scuba-punk
He looked at us and flat out told us that he wouldn't accept any of us as his students at a technical diving level with the poor level of physical fitness we had.

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.