BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 73

2014-01-08 9:29 AM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: RE: Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed.

OK my 5' test is done, phew! 5' average was 258W, right about where I suspected it would be after being off the bike for so long. Every time I sat up on the horns my power dropped so most of the test was done down on the aerobars.

2014-01-08 9:34 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
Marc, if I'm reading between the lines, I'd guess your thinking my curve is a little steep and maybe I'm lacking some endurance or mental toughness right now. At least that is what I'm thinking. I haven't really done any longer intervals that were hard in the past couple months. I took a good chunk of time in late fall away from the bike and kind of poking around. Doing some trail running and stuff. I'll see how it goes the next week.

Variables to consider on my list: Mental Toughness, Climate Control, Proper Rest, Proper Pacing, Lack of Endurance.
2014-01-08 9:37 AM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
Nice work Donto and everyone else. I never knew testing could be so much 'fun'. I've been missing out the past couple years.
2014-01-08 10:54 AM
in reply to: JAYCT

User image

Oakville

Originally posted by JAYCT Nice work Donto and everyone else. I never knew testing could be so much 'fun'. I've been missing out the past couple years.

Indeed, some really impressive wattages so far!  Its encouraging to know that, after years of training, some folks have been able to boost their FTP into the 300s.

I was really dreading the 20 minute test, but it actually wasn't that bad. 

Really looking forward to working with the tools in GC to see what all the numbers really mean.

2014-01-08 11:09 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by kcarroll

Originally posted by marcag Here is the file for workout #3 this week. Later, I will try putting it in Ergdb as well and will let you know when I did If the file doesn't work for you, let me know, maybe some small kinks to work out It is important you set your new CP in GC for this workout to be correct, since it works of % of CP. To set a new CP go int Tools->Options->Athlete Select the Power tab Set a date you want it to be effective from "Say Jan 7 2014", set the CP and press +

marc, no "options" under "tools" but there is a critical power estimatot tab that looks like i can enter needed info once i do 5" and 20" test.  on a mac using vp. am i missing something?

yes yes yes...on a mac...hold on, let me power up my mac..ok

In the GoldenCheetah menu -> Preferences-> Athlete
Power tab

On Windows it's in tools, first entry

Edited by marcag 2014-01-08 11:09 AM
2014-01-08 11:10 AM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

Originally posted by marcag We are getting very few results from the female representation in the group. Yes, we know they are mostly on the injured list, but if this guy can do this, you gals can test ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWCDEAYn8rQI am of course kidding, we prefer you don't show us up with the low kg ratios :-) Jaime, how's the knee ? Kim ? Any good news on the diagnosis ? Karen ? Is the PT working ? Is the arm "better" ?

Testing tomorrow! 

I'm doing my coach's FTP test:

Warmup 20 min Endurance Pace

Main Set 3x1 min(1 min RI) Fast pedaling, 100RPM

5 min Easy riding

5 min All out effort

10 min Easy riding

20 min Time trial

Cooldown 10-15 min Easy riding

That is the Hunter Allen protocol.

2014-01-08 11:10 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by Scott71

Originally posted by JAYCT Nice work Donto and everyone else. I never knew testing could be so much 'fun'. I've been missing out the past couple years.

Indeed, some really impressive wattages so far!  Its encouraging to know that, after years of training, some folks have been able to boost their FTP into the 300s.

I was really dreading the 20 minute test, but it actually wasn't that bad. 

Really looking forward to working with the tools in GC to see what all the numbers really mean.

Then you didn't do it right... Something tells me you won't be saying this next time after spending the next few weeks adjusting to the power levels you can push.

20min tests downright scare me.

Edited by GoFaster 2014-01-08 11:11 AM
2014-01-08 11:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Scott71
One question about HR - I have never calculated my max heart rate.  Can you determine maximum heart rate using LTHR or are the two totally unrelated?

Just curious if 176 bpm is close to my maximum if my LTHR for the bike is 162.

Shane would probably know better if there is a 'somewhat accurate" way to calculate maxHR. I measured it once in a ramp test where you basically go up 25 watts every minute until complete exhaustion. I hit 178.

When doing tests like we did for 5', I usually hit 172, 173, maybe 174

My LTHR measured by taking blood was 163. I usually get pretty close to that number by the standard test protocol.

I suspect we may be close, your max may be a few beats higher.
2014-01-08 11:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by JAYCT

Marc, if I'm reading between the lines, I'd guess your thinking my curve is a little steep and maybe I'm lacking some endurance or mental toughness right now. At least that is what I'm thinking. I haven't really done any longer intervals that were hard in the past couple months. I took a good chunk of time in late fall away from the bike and kind of poking around. Doing some trail running and stuff. I'll see how it goes the next week.

Variables to consider on my list: Mental Toughness, Climate Control, Proper Rest, Proper Pacing, Lack of Endurance.

Actually I think you are on beast on the short stuff :-)
I am guessing Climate, Pacing and Endurance were more a factor, but you have a huge 5' number.

2014-01-08 11:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by JAYCT

Another thing to consider when pacing. If you go out "too easy", there is always the option of extending the 20".

There are advantages to sticking to the standard 20". It's makes for consistency between tests. A lot of tools are "optimized" for 20 minute tests.....a bunch of reasons

But the CP model works with 22, 24, 28...whatever. A coach I worked with actually preferred 30' tests. He felt, and from his athletes data, that it was a better predictor of true CP. He would test with 4' and 30'.

So, if next time you go out easier and are afraid you didn't empty the tank, keep on going

Would love Shane's opinion on this one
2014-01-08 11:32 AM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Donto
Every time I sat up on the horns my power dropped so most of the test was done down on the aerobars.

a) congrats
b) you are strange :-)

Most people it's the opposite. They can generate more sitting up. But hey, that's great, that's how you are going to race

2014-01-08 11:50 AM

User image

5 minute test done and knee felt fine!

167 W, although I also prefer W/kg (3.12). I've NEVER seen numbers as high as some of the ones you guys are posting! It's all good, though, no place to go but up.

I'm having an issue with my heart rate monitor, though. Now I'm losing the connection towards the end of my workouts, and it seems to be a problem with the heart rate strap, because neither my watch nor Trainer Road is able to pick it up. When it does pick it up, it's very low, like in the 50's (when I took my pulse immediately after the test I was about 190). I don't think it's a skin contact issue because after I put on electrolyte gel at the start of my workout, it works fine, and it seems like that should get better with sweating, not worse. I also tried changing the heart rate strap battery but that didn't help either. Any thoughts?

(Screen Shot 2014-01-08 at 9.58.30 AM.png)

Attachments
----------------
Screen Shot 2014-01-08 at 9.58.30 AM.png (99KB - 1 downloads)
2014-01-08 11:54 AM
in reply to: RunningJoke

User image

I found out my max heart rate last year when I was trail running and came upon a gunshot wound victim, and did 25 minutes of adrenaline fueled CPR while still wearing my HR monitor. It was 218. I don't recommend this method of testing, however.
2014-01-08 11:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by RunningJoke

5 minute test done and knee felt fine!

167 W, although I also prefer W/kg (3.12). I've NEVER seen numbers as high as some of the ones you guys are posting! It's all good, though, no place to go but up.

I'm having an issue with my heart rate monitor, though. Now I'm losing the connection towards the end of my workouts, and it seems to be a problem with the heart rate strap, because neither my watch nor Trainer Road is able to pick it up. When it does pick it up, it's very low, like in the 50's (when I took my pulse immediately after the test I was about 190). I don't think it's a skin contact issue because after I put on electrolyte gel at the start of my workout, it works fine, and it seems like that should get better with sweating, not worse. I also tried changing the heart rate strap battery but that didn't help either. Any thoughts?

Excellent !!! Well execute. Glad the knee is good.

What kind of strap ? Hard plastic or the soft strap ?
Is it slipping down ? What kind of shirt are you wearing ?

2014-01-08 12:04 PM

User image

It's the Garmin premium soft strap with just 2 plastic areas that contact the skin and the electronic part that unclips.

Today it happened on my trainer ride wearing just a sports bra that the strap sits just below, but it's happened on my last couple runs when I was completely bundled up in a base layer and then a heavier jacket as well.

Prior to the last week or so I would sometimes have trouble with it picking up for the first mile or so while I was warming up, but never later in the workout as I became more sweaty. I thought I'd borrow my husband's strap for the next workout and try and trouble shoot whether it's me or the strap.
2014-01-08 12:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

It's the Garmin premium soft strap with just 2 plastic areas that contact the skin and the electronic part that unclips.

Today it happened on my trainer ride wearing just a sports bra that the strap sits just below, but it's happened on my last couple runs when I was completely bundled up in a base layer and then a heavier jacket as well.

Prior to the last week or so I would sometimes have trouble with it picking up for the first mile or so while I was warming up, but never later in the workout as I became more sweaty. I thought I'd borrow my husband's strap for the next workout and try and trouble shoot whether it's me or the strap.

I gave up on those soft straps
I know that after a while they struggle with salt accumulation. I think they improved recently but I am still skeptical personally.
Try letting it soak in dish washing soap/water

The company that made those straps for Garmin recommended this at one point.

Edited by marcag 2014-01-08 12:11 PM

2014-01-08 12:47 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by Donto Every time I sat up on the horns my power dropped so most of the test was done down on the aerobars.
a) congrats b) you are strange :-) Most people it's the opposite. They can generate more sitting up. But hey, that's great, that's how you are going to race
LOL! I couldn't believe it either.  I have a new bike and the two with the same frame geometry are different as far as my fit.  On my old bike (2006 Felt S22) 76* seat tube angle with the ISM seat all the way forward.  I think my new bike (2013 Felt B12) with the effective 78* seat tube angle (actual is 76* but seatpost results in 78*) may have something to do with it.  I also have 172.5 crank arms vs 175 on my old bike.  Who knows, we'll see how things progress as time goes by...

I can't wait to do the 20' test!

2014-01-08 1:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I have a love-hate relationship with testing.  Love because I like to see the progress....hate because I've done it before and know just how much it hurts!!

Will be doing the 20 minute test to Sufferfest's Rubber Glove tomorrow morning.

2014-01-08 1:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Maine
I soak the soft strap in water for about 10 minutes & hang dry after almost every use. So far the only issue I've had is an occasional delayed pickup in the beginning in dry weather if I don't wet the contacts and some chafing on long runs.
2014-01-08 1:42 PM

User image

Master

I would call Garmin support. I had similar issues and they sent me a new upgrade premium replacement strap at no charge. I didn't even have to send the old one back. The new strap has been working perfectly. It really was an upgrade.
2014-01-08 2:50 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Was hoping to do my 20' test today but I think I'll wait until tomorrow morning after some sleep. Monday morning I did workout #1 with the 5' test, then that night I did a boot camp class followed by a 3 mile run. Boot camp included some dumbell work (fitting for me..) so it was a heavy training day so to speak. Then last night at masters I did my T60 postal swim. For those that don't know, a T60 is where you swim as many laps as you can in 60 minutes. I had planned on doing that swim Thursday night but nobody was swimming it last night, everyone wanted to count last night. So knowing I would have my OWN lane last night I decided to go ahead and swim. I ended up with just over 4,000 yards so I can't complain too much about that. So after that I went to a friends house, had a glass of wine, some scotch, got to be about 1:00 AM then couldn't sleep!!! That is rare for me, usually when my head hits the pillow it's lights out. So I caught up on some sleep this morning and am working a half day and will rest tonight. Of course I'm feeling like I'm coming down with a cold, hopefully it's just a blip.

Looking forward to the 20' test and hopefully tonight I'll find my HR monitor strap.

2014-01-08 3:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by reecealan
Then last night at masters I did my T60 postal swim. For those that don't know, a T60 is where you swim as many laps as you can in 60 minutes.

That sounds brutal. Is that a test or a special workout ?

Maybe if i had the wine and scotch before...

Edited by marcag 2014-01-08 3:22 PM
2014-01-08 5:01 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS

Then last night at masters I did my T60 postal swim. For those that don't know, a T60 is where you swim as many laps as you can in 60 minutes.

It's actually a National Competition of sorts. Many people just do it for fun. Here's a link.

https://www.clubassistant.com/club/meet_information.cfm?c=1308&smid=...

You have to be a USMS member and it costs $7 to enter. I guess you can then compare yourself to other swimmers etc. I haven't entered my data in yet, I have until Feb 10th to enter it in.

To answer your question it's actually both. It's a test in itself but we did it during our masters swim workout time. But it's definitely more of a test. Anyone considering doing an Ironman distance would get a good idea of how they felf after swimming for an hour. I'm guessing based on my time I would complete a 2.4 mile swim in 1:10 or so. Maybe quicker in sea water with a wetsuit etc.
2014-01-08 5:14 PM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Extreme Veteran

It's actually a National Competition of sorts. Many people just do it for fun. Here's a link.

https://www.clubassistant.com/club/meet_information.cfm?c=1308&smid=...

You have to be a USMS member and it costs $7 to enter. I guess you can then compare yourself to other swimmers etc. I haven't entered my data in yet, I have until Feb 10th to enter it in.

To answer your question it's actually both. It's a test in itself but we did it during our masters swim workout time. But it's definitely more of a test. Anyone considering doing an Ironman distance would get a good idea of how they felf after swimming for an hour. I'm guessing based on my time I would complete a 2.4 mile swim in 1:10 or so. Maybe quicker in sea water with a wetsuit etc.

Very much like our 5' and 20' power test to establish CP, there is a swim 200m and 400m test to establish what is known as a CSS. I would be curious to compare the results of both tests. But I am too lazy to swim 1hour at threshold :-)
2014-01-08 6:46 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

CSS, since I've never been swim centric I find this interesting.  I found the swim smooth site with a calculator for training pace and some example WO.  Also discussion on ST about it too.  Seems if you swim longer for long course distances the test is pliable and can be performed with a 1000 & 400 or whatever since its based on D1-D2/T1-T2.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Rss Feed  

of 73

RELATED POSTS

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16474 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 30260 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75

Started by slornow
Views: 61422 Posts: 1862

2014-05-16 5:48 PM GoldenSprocket

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 15, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
This month we talk with gsmacleod, aka Coach Shane MacLeod on his coaching philosophy, his approach to gadgets, training plans, missed workouts and strength training.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : March 4, 2009
author : jasongootman
In this third part, we discuss bike workout types and how they relate to power training. Power analysis of workouts included. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.
date : December 3, 2008
author : jasongootman
What is power training? In this first part, learn the terms and definitions associated with power training. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : October 21, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Training with a power meter will make sure that you are spending every minute on the bike effectively. Racing with a power meter will keep you humble and in your proper zones on race day.
date : April 1, 2008
author : sportfactory
How will a power meter help my cycling training and racing? A few questions and answers will help determine if a power meter will be good for you.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.