BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2022-03-11 10:05 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022

Racing Manatees!!!

March 12-13
No racers that I know of

Is anyone racing or doing anything else fun this weekend?

2022-03-11 11:09 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by juniperjen

I did my virtual half last weekend and i am pretty happy with it. I ran exactly where I thought i would. I mean, i wish i was fitter but always try to keep perspective on how great it is to be able to run a half marathon ... it's not a small thing. We had an unseasonably warm day and i got out early before the high wind warning started but was pretty windy for the last 5k. 

I am glad it's done now. And probably wouldn't choose another virtual race. 

Congratulations! I don't know how anyone can actually make themselves do race effort in a virtual race!

2022-03-11 1:20 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

I did my virtual half last weekend and i am pretty happy with it. I ran exactly where I thought i would. I mean, i wish i was fitter but always try to keep perspective on how great it is to be able to run a half marathon ... it's not a small thing. We had an unseasonably warm day and i got out early before the high wind warning started but was pretty windy for the last 5k. 

Congrats, glad to hear you are happy with your effort.  And I agree with Janyne, it must be very challenging to keep a race pace for a half marathon done virtually.  Way to go!

2022-03-11 2:28 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

March 12-13
No racers that I know of

I will be participating in the Underground Marathon Relay on Saturday.  It is a 10-man relay. Everyone runs the same 2.6-mile out-and-back.  It takes place in the Woodlands on the waterway where the IM-Texas and the Marathon are run.  It was started last year during Covid cancelations by a running club in The Woodlands to give everyone a chance to burn off some energy during the race drought. The team I will be running with won the inaugural race last year.  I am told there will be 10+ teams this year comprising of all the ringers in the Houston area.  It was originally scheduled several weeks ago but got moved because there was a city event on the run course that would have impeded racing.  I am convinced the hosts moved it to the week after the Marathon to sabotage the defending champion's team knowing that a week after a third of us ran marathons and another third are out of town for spring break, band trips, choir trips, etc that they had the best chances of winning.    

2022-03-11 2:36 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Racing Manatees!!!

March 12-13
No racers that I know of

I will be participating in the Underground Marathon Relay on Saturday.  It is a 10-man relay. Everyone runs the same 2.6-mile out-and-back.  It takes place in the Woodlands on the waterway where the IM-Texas and the Marathon are run.  It was started last year during Covid cancelations by a running club in The Woodlands to give everyone a chance to burn off some energy during the race drought. The team I will be running with won the inaugural race last year.  I am told there will be 10+ teams this year comprising of all the ringers in the Houston area.  It was originally scheduled several weeks ago but got moved because there was a city event on the run course that would have impeded racing.  I am convinced the hosts moved it to the week after the Marathon to sabotage the defending champion's team knowing that a week after a third of us ran marathons and another third are out of town for spring break, band trips, choir trips, etc that they had the best chances of winning.    

Have fun!  Don't the the saboteurs defeat you!

2022-03-11 2:36 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Before covid I saw virtual options for races and thought, "Why would anyone ever do a virtual race"?  The motivation just wasn't there for me if you didn't get to see all the other people who had trained for the race and showed up to reach their goal.  In 2020 I did like 6-7 virtual races and PR's in half of them (of course I planned easy coursed for fast time on some of them).  So....I am okay with doing some virtual races now (depending on how they are set up and what my goals are).  They are tougher than live races though.  13.1 miles as a virtual race is impressive.  

2022-03-11 4:13 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Racing Manatees!!!

March 12-13
No racers that I know of

I second this. Give them hell.
2022-03-14 9:28 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by ceilidh

Racing Manatees!!!

March 12-13
No racers that I know of

There were 9 teams in this year's Underground Marathon Relay.  I learned this was actually the 3rd time this event was held (just the 2nd time my team was invited).  There were multiple lead changes among the leaders so it was pretty exciting.  The host running group had three teams and had recruited four (4) high schoolers with fast legs to run on their "A-Team".  I ran #9 and started just a few seconds ahead of one of the host group's teams.  I thought it was their A-Team but had left 15 minutes before I started to do strides and warm-ups so I had lost track of where all the teams were at. Turnes out it was actually their B-team.  I don't know how far ahead the A-Team was but apparently, I cut into their lead by quite a bit coming in about 15 seconds behind them.  Our #10 runner ran for the University of Houston several years back and had the fastest split of the day winning the relay for us by almost a minute at 2 hours 24 minutes.  The Host team beat our time from last year and with their 9-minute 2-mile high school recruits almost pulled it off but we slide past them again for the two-year winning streak.   

So...If you put all the fastest Age Group runners in the Houston area together for a marathon relay we almost run fast enough to make the cut-off time for US Olympic Marathon Qualifying time (2 hours 20 minutes).  :-)  

2022-03-14 9:33 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

March 12-13
No racers that I know of

There were 9 teams in this year's Underground Marathon Relay.  I learned this was actually the 3rd time this event was held (just the 2nd time my team was invited).  There were multiple lead changes among the leaders so it was pretty exciting.  The host running group had three teams and had recruited four (4) high schoolers with fast legs to run on their "A-Team".  I ran #9 and started just a few seconds ahead of one of the host group's teams.  I thought it was their A-Team but had left 15 minutes before I started to do strides and warm-ups so I had lost track of where all the teams were at. Turnes out it was actually their B-team.  I don't know how far ahead the A-Team was but apparently, I cut into their lead by quite a bit coming in about 15 seconds behind them.  Our #10 runner ran for the University of Houston several years back and had the fastest split of the day winning the relay for us by almost a minute at 2 hours 24 minutes.  The Host team beat our time from last year and with their 9-minute 2-mile high school recruits almost pulled it off but we slide past them again for the two-year winning streak.   

So...If you put all the fastest Age Group runners in the Houston area together for a marathon relay we almost run fast enough to make the cut-off time for US Olympic Marathon Qualifying time (2 hours 20 minutes).  :-)  

Congratulations on your win streak and on putting the Saboteurs in their place. 

Nice trophy!

2022-03-14 9:39 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

March 12-13
No racers that I know of

Congratulations on your win streak and on putting the Saboteurs in their place. 

Nice trophy!

well done!

2022-03-14 2:44 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Pennsylvania

Very cool trophy and excellent effort, Curtis!!  Congrats!

2022-03-18 8:51 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

March 19-20
No racers that I know of

2022-03-18 9:14 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Racing Manatees!!!

March 19-20
No racers that I know of

Was just going to come on and ask what was up for folks this weekend! 

For me, my kids are at my parents house so it's weird to have just an open weekend. I am very motivated to get my Starbucks steps so some long walks and runs are in order to get that. Also started a strength program so getting to that as well. 

Was thinking ahead to what i want to do in 2023 - because that's what i do. My husband is training for a big event this year (we are planning to trade off) AND we are getting a puppy!! We are getting a lab puppy in June. Our friend is a breeder and will have two litters of puppies in mid-June. We will have to pick up the puppy in Nova Scotia so my husband has booked a flight to go pick up said dog. It's all very exciting.

Anyway, back to the race planning and I am not feeling the desire to do long distance - mostly it's the time training on the weekends. I think i might opt to do a few sprints and maybe an Oly for the summer of 2023 - i am pretty lucky to have two good local race series so ... that's the plan. Another idea floating around is to start applying to a couple of the big marathons. The chance of getting is low (I saw lots of London ones not get in) but do want to do race-cations. 

2022-03-18 9:19 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

March 19-20
No racers that I know of

For me, my kids are at my parents house so it's weird to have just an open weekend. I am very motivated to get my Starbucks steps so some long walks and runs are in order to get that. Also started a strength program so getting to that as well. 

Was thinking ahead to what i want to do in 2023 - because that's what i do. My husband is training for a big event this year (we are planning to trade off) AND we are getting a puppy!! We are getting a lab puppy in June. Our friend is a breeder and will have two litters of puppies in mid-June. We will have to pick up the puppy in Nova Scotia so my husband has booked a flight to go pick up said dog. It's all very exciting.

Anyway, back to the race planning and I am not feeling the desire to do long distance - mostly it's the time training on the weekends. I think i might opt to do a few sprints and maybe an Oly for the summer of 2023 - i am pretty lucky to have two good local race series so ... that's the plan. Another idea floating around is to start applying to a couple of the big marathons. The chance of getting is low (I saw lots of London ones not get in) but do want to do race-cations. 

PUPPY!!!! That's the most exciting thing.

I'm on board with the racecation idea as well. I have occasionally had my eye on Lisbon (most likely the half).  It would be awful to have to go to Porto afterward...  Edinburgh also catches my attention.

2022-03-18 9:32 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Racing Manatees!!!

March 19-20
No racers that I know of

I'm on board with the racecation idea as well. I have occasionally had my eye on Lisbon (most likely the half).  It would be awful to have to go to Porto afterward...  Edinburgh also catches my attention.

Oh both of those sound delightful! It would definitely be a terrible idea to go there after - i will go in your place ... 

Yes! We haven't had any fur babies for a few years. Logan was just a baby when we had to put our old girl Samantha to sleep and although we both love dogs we were in the midst of baby and little kids and getting another pet would just feel like another obligation. But with Logan turning 5 it feels like it is a good time. :D 

2022-03-18 12:49 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

OK, folks, Strava now offers an option for a "multisport" club which appears to include more than just the SBR that the triathlon club counts.  It looks like it includes strength, etc.  I was thinking that this might be a good change for the Manatee Strava group.  What say you?

This is what the multisport leader board looks like

multisport leader board

And this is the Triathlon one

Tri leader board

On the one hand, the multisport one better reflects that total activity that is being completed.  I really like that it captures the cross training (yoga, strength, BeachBody, etc.) that everyone is doing.  On the other hand, it's sort of nice to see, oh, Jim did a lot of running last week, didn't he?  I do feel like we can get that detail form BT itself though.

How would you feel about swapping to the Multisport club type? Are there any objections?

2022-03-18 1:09 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

March 19-20
No racers that I know of

Puppies are the best!

2022-03-18 1:12 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Racing Manatees!!!

March 19-20
No racers that I know of

Puppies are the best!

Puppies are a lot of work but so awesome. I am jealous!

2022-03-18 1:18 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

OK, folks, Strava now offers an option for a "multisport" club which appears to include more than just the SBR that the triathlon club counts.  It looks like it includes strength, etc.  I was thinking that this might be a good change for the Manatee Strava group.  What say you?

multisport leader board

Tri leader board

On the one hand, the multisport one better reflects that total activity that is being completed.  I really like that it captures the cross training (yoga, strength, BeachBody, etc.) that everyone is doing.  On the other hand, it's sort of nice to see, oh, Jim did a lot of running last week, didn't he?  I do feel like we can get that detail form BT itself though.

How would you feel about swapping to the Multisport club type? Are there any objections?

I don't have any objections. Any downside to having both?

2022-03-18 1:26 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

multisport leader board

Tri leader board

We can have only one or the other -- unless you mean having two groups?

2022-03-18 1:38 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

multisport leader board

Tri leader board

I just thought you could leave the current one going and add the new one, but apparently, that is not possible. It would be too confusing, I think, to have two groups just to have both clubs.

2022-03-18 2:14 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

multisport leader board

Tri leader board

I just thought you could leave the current one going and add the new one, but apparently, that is not possible. It would be too confusing, I think, to have two groups just to have both clubs.

Well, for those who want to take a look before weighing in

https://www.strava.com/clubs/Team-Teddy-Zoe (request to join)

2022-03-18 2:16 PM

It is good to catch up reading on what everyone has been up to. We got back from Kona the middle of last week, and then spent a couple days skiing. Walked in to work Monday morning to start a trial, so it’s been a busy return.

Hawaii was AMAZING. We did a lot of snorkeling, and saw tons of reef fish and turtles. My daughter and I went out on a night snorkeling tour that was pretty phenomenal as well. We basically laid vertical in the water while holding onto a paddle board that is rigged with blue lights and PVC all around it. The lights attract plankton, which in turn attracts fish and manta rays. We had several huge manta rays come up within feet of us feeding. There were 10 people to each paddle board, with two boards connected together. It was such a great time. Before the sun set, they let us get off the boat and just snorkel around the area. This gave me a chance to do some open water swimming a ways out from the boat and back.

We also toured a coffee farm. Alaska has a huge coffee culture and there are drive through coffee stands here on just about every other corner. I was pretty surprised of the lack of coffee culture in Hawaii given the importance of “Kona coffee.” We found a couple good coffee shops though after some diligent searching. My daughter and I also did a fishing trip one day and we landed a 130 lb. blue marlin. My daughter got to sit in the seat and do the heavy lifting. I participated in the reeling, and then when her legs ran out of gas, I stood behind her and worked the seat to assist her, while the deckhand did the reeling. It is definitely a lifetime memory for her.

My son and I played three rounds of golf while there as well. Two of the rounds were really fun and had amazing scenery right on the water. One of them was on the Hilo side of the island, and it rained a little during the round, which we were fine with. One of our rounds was north of Kona in an area called Waikiloa. When you see the Kona Ironman race, this is the area of the black lava fields that they bike up into. The announcers during the race routinely describe this area as windy and hot, which is such an understatement. Having now been in the area, it can only be described as “holy hell it’s hot here.” I would describe golf as a very “proper” sport, there are a lot of rules about etiquette and even proper clothing. This is the area where my son and I struggle, as we just want to play for fun and not worry about the uppity aspect of it. Well in Waikiloa, we threw all that out the window. They had a few sprinklers going to water the course. We would play 2-3 holes, and then find a sprinkler and go stand in it, put our heads and hats in it, and then play the next few holes. Wash, rinse, repeat.

This experience raised my level of respect for the IM competitors tenfold. Those guys and gals ride 112 miles in that nonsense, and then follow it with a marathon for fun, while my son and I were ready to jump in the ocean just from swinging golf clubs and riding around in the golf cart (we didn’t even walk the course!!!). 90+ degrees there is magnified so much by the surrounding black lava. I can’t imagine trying to survive 112 miles of biking and then a marathon through it.

With that said, we absolutely loved the island. Maybe it’s because we are right in the middle of the point of the year where we constantly gripe about how long the winter has been this year, but I’ve already started trying to figure out how I could get into an investment property there that at least breaks even financially, so I can visit more often. And as insane as the IM appears, the do have what they call the Lavaman triathlon there every year, which is an Olympic distance tri along the same course. A lot of Alaskans participate in it every year, and a guy from Anchorage won it at least once in the last few years. I know a couple of middle-of-the-pack attorneys here that run it every year as well. So I am strongly considering this for next year….

Aloha!!!
2022-03-18 2:21 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Wow! That sounds like an amazing trip.  Now you need an investment property that you need to visit (for business purposes, of course!) in early April.  Darn, that happens to be Lavaman weekend.  Oh well, must participate.

2022-03-18 2:43 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Wow, I miss a couple days and come back to some great posts!

PUPPY!!!!

Zoe and Teddy multisport club! I endorse switching to multisport or staying the same if the group prefers.  I'm fairly neutral on the switch.  If we switch to multisport I may be less lazy about not filling in the manual activities.

And wow, the Hawaii trip sounds absolutely incredible and EPIC!!!  But for real epic, not sarcastic epic.  What a great mix of activities, very memorable for all.  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022 Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43

Started by jmhpsu93
Views: 29191 Posts: 1069

2022-12-30 6:00 AM jmhpsu93