BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 73

2014-01-09 12:21 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Oakville
Subject: RE: Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed.

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by littlewj I believe there is a 8' minute test that goes along with it. Since I already did Shane's 5' I probably should just follow his 20' protocol now that I think about.
Good call. If I am not mistaken they had a 8' test they took a % of. Probably the least accurate protocol.. the 5' and 20' protocol has a lot of science behind it.

Yeah, my first ever FTP test was using the TrainerRoad 8' test ride (the 20' test was too intimidating). 

Its a standalone test and involves two 8 minute test sessions within a 1 hour ride.

FTP is calculated at 90% of the average power over the two 8' segments.

2014-01-09 12:22 PM
in reply to: pschriver

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by pschriver

I'm starting to feel more like a Lurker than a participant. I just got back from a cruise to the Bahamas and just completed the 20 min test. Still getting caught up at work but will do the 5 min test when I can. I upload my data here and on TP.

Wow, a cruise....that must do wonders for the kg portion of watts/kg :-)

The good news is the 5' is easier than the 20'. IMO
2014-01-09 2:32 PM

User image

Master
Marc:

I was out of town Mon through late last night (or early this morning depending on your perspective). Regardless, a 20' power test on 4 hours of sleep was not in the cards. I hope to get a good night's sleep and then test tomorrow morning.

Quick question - I haven't had a chance to download the 3rd workout file and upload into GC. Before I do that, can someone tell me if that allows me to also view the workout and copy it in some fashion so I can follow along without a computer at my trainer? I am one of those not setup with a computer at my trainer and plan on bringing notes to my pain cave regarding what each workout is. If GC won't allow one to view the workout parameters separately can we also get a transcription of thr workout posted in some fashion in this thread?

Finally, I have GC and WKO+ running on my desktop. I like WKO+ due to the performance mgmt chart taking into account running TSS.

Mitch
2014-01-09 3:22 PM
in reply to: trisuppo

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by trisuppo

Marc:

I was out of town Mon through late last night (or early this morning depending on your perspective). Regardless, a 20' power test on 4 hours of sleep was not in the cards. I hope to get a good night's sleep and then test tomorrow morning.

Quick question - I haven't had a chance to download the 3rd workout file and upload into GC. Before I do that, can someone tell me if that allows me to also view the workout and copy it in some fashion so I can follow along without a computer at my trainer? I am one of those not setup with a computer at my trainer and plan on bringing notes to my pain cave regarding what each workout is. If GC won't allow one to view the workout parameters separately can we also get a transcription of thr workout posted in some fashion in this thread?

Finally, I have GC and WKO+ running on my desktop. I like WKO+ due to the performance mgmt chart taking into account running TSS.

Mitch

Yes, we will be provided text versions of it. Shane posted a few pages back and I just turned it into a mrc file.
The can pretty easily be made into Garmin workout files if you've done that before. That way it "auto laps" at the end of the interval and you can use power for interval as a way to guide your effort

Workout 3 – Tempo – 1:10:00

10:00 spin 50-70% of FTP
5x10s all out, 50s easy <55% FTP
5:00 spin at 60-65% of FTP
2x15:00 at 80% of FTP with 5:00 60-65% of FTP between
10:00 at 90% of FTP
10:00 spin less than 70% of FTP

I am going to find a better way to organize these so we don't have to scroll around looking
Maybe I will put them on my log page, maybe a google doc ?
I will also keep previous weeks so the people falling behind can follow

2014-01-09 3:33 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS

Marc:

Mitch

Yes, we will be provided text versions of it. Shane posted a few pages back and I just turned it into a mrc file.
The can pretty easily be made into Garmin workout files if you've done that before. That way it "auto laps" at the end of the interval and you can use power for interval as a way to guide your effort

I am going to find a better way to organize these so we don't have to scroll around looking

Refresh my memory, is FTP the same as CP? I think early on it was discussed that these two terms (FTP and CP) might be used interchangeably.
2014-01-09 3:34 PM

So...

As this is a learning group, I figure I would share my 20 min test failure. I already did the Coggan protocol last week, and felt I went too easy, so, this time I went out too hard. I had averaged 351 watts for my 5 min test, so I think Marc had mentioned something like 90 % for the 20 min compared with the 5 min tests. So I thought a bit over 300 was reasonable.

I managed to hold on for about 10 minutes, and then my gear dropped spontaneously and completely threw me off. When I shifted back up, it didn't feel right, like I jumped back up two gears, so I thought maybe I shifted up two gears and didn't realize it, so then I shifted back down...nope, too easy, and watts dropped. Back up, geez this is hard, so... I kind of went back and forth like that for 2 minutes or so and then finally settled back in, then the gear dropped again, I was so pissed I just stopped...

I don't really feel spent, so I will go again tomorrow, since I still feel that Coggan result was a bit low, but lessons learned:

1) Heed the advice that has already been repeated half a dozen times in the thread, go out a bit slower and build, rather than the other way around.

2) Make sure I do everything I can to avoid having equipment failure halfway through the test.

The plan is to start in the 290 range then go from there, if I have anything left, I can crank it out in the last 5 minutes of the test, if not, then I'm where I should be.

2014-01-09 3:50 PM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by reecealan
Refresh my memory, is FTP the same as CP? I think early on it was discussed that these two terms (FTP and CP) might be used interchangeably.

For the purposes of the workouts, yes they are interchangeable

Technically your FTP is a bit higher than your CP. We will get into that when finished testing. For example my calculated FTP is about 4watts higher.
Then again, I would bet that most of our CPs are slightly inflated. Just imagine holding your calculated CP for over an hour :-)

So for our workouts you can interchange the terms CP and FTP

And don't worry about hitting targets to the watt. +/- a few watts is no big deal.
2014-01-09 3:52 PM
in reply to: ImSore

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ImSore
I managed to hold on for about 10 minutes

How did it feel at 10min ? I can tell you at 10, I was not sure I'd make it to 15.

I think building is a good plan.
2014-01-09 4:13 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ligersandtions
Even more important to me, though, was the fact that I never truly considered bailing on the test.  I was absolutely ready for the pain/torture/suffering to be over, but I never actually thought about quitting early.  That's huge for me as I sometimes deal with not being mentally strong enough.

Anyways, new FTP puts me right at 3.70 W/kg, so that's kind of cool!  Given that I'm not a brand new rider, so huge jumps in power output are not likely, how long would it take to work my way up to 4.0 W/kg (assuming focused efforts)?  Is this something that will take years of work, a year of work, months of work?

You are not a brand new rider, but very precise, structured, targeted training is something that might make a huge difference. That's new isn't it ?

Personally, I think it is very possible.
2014-01-09 4:15 PM

I don't think it was a HTFU situation, I was almost 100% certain I couldn't hold on.

I think I could have dropped to 280 and kept it, but I was frustrated with my bike mostly and just decided to live and fight another day. I tried to increase my cadence to make up for the fact that I was dropping to a lower gear, and that just burned me out more. I am most efficient at about 80 rpm, and my oxygen deprived brain thought I could just ride at 95 - 100 rpm to keep the power up where I wanted, and not have to deal with the dropping gear. My heart rate jumped about 10 to 15 bpm, and I knew that my test was shot.
2014-01-09 4:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by ligersandtions Even more important to me, though, was the fact that I never truly considered bailing on the test.  I was absolutely ready for the pain/torture/suffering to be over, but I never actually thought about quitting early.  That's huge for me as I sometimes deal with not being mentally strong enough.

Anyways, new FTP puts me right at 3.70 W/kg, so that's kind of cool!  Given that I'm not a brand new rider, so huge jumps in power output are not likely, how long would it take to work my way up to 4.0 W/kg (assuming focused efforts)?  Is this something that will take years of work, a year of work, months of work?

You are not a brand new rider, but very precise, structured, targeted training is something that might make a huge difference. That's new isn't it ? Personally, I think it is very possible.

Possible over a few months?  Or over a few years?  I think it's possible, just trying to wrap my brain around how long something like this will take (more so that I know what to target in upcoming tests....because I intend to be around for a long time, so I'm not looking for instant gratification or anything!).

Agreed -- precise, structured, targeted training is new.  Before, I used to browse TrainerRoad's workout library and pick a ride that looked worthwhile (....to someone who has no idea what she's doing!). 

That is one of the reasons I'm so excited about this mentor group -- learning more about power and how to structure one's training will serve us well for years to come.  I'm so appreciative of the time and effort you and Shane are putting in.  Thank you, thank you, thank you (though do know that I'm probably cursing your names as I'm struggling through the middle 10 minutes of a 20 minute test!)!

2014-01-09 4:59 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by ligersandtions Even more important to me, though, was the fact that I never truly considered bailing on the test.  I was absolutely ready for the pain/torture/suffering to be over, but I never actually thought about quitting early.  That's huge for me as I sometimes deal with not being mentally strong enough.

You are not a brand new rider, but very precise, structured, targeted training is something that might make a huge difference. That's new isn't it ? Personally, I think it is very possible.

Possible over a few months?  Or over a few years?  I think it's possible, just trying to wrap my brain around how long something like this will take (more so that I know what to target in upcoming tests....because I intend to be around for a long time, so I'm not looking for instant gratification or anything!).

Agreed -- precise, structured, targeted training is new.  Before, I used to browse TrainerRoad's workout library and pick a ride that looked worthwhile (....to someone who has no idea what she's doing!). 

That is one of the reasons I'm so excited about this mentor group -- learning more about power and how to structure one's training will serve us well for years to come.  I'm so appreciative of the time and effort you and Shane are putting in.  Thank you, thank you, thank you (though do know that I'm probably cursing your names as I'm struggling through the middle 10 minutes of a 20 minute test!)!

I think the structure shows results in months. Shane probably has more experience seeing more athletes

But I also believe the success of Long course goes well beyond that CP number. Holding that CP number at 77% for 3hrs and running well is what really counts.

And just to set the ground rules....Shane makes up the workouts, so all cursing should be clearly directed to him :-)

Next test, we curse in French. OK ?

Edited by marcag 2014-01-09 5:00 PM
2014-01-09 5:04 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Assuming your weight remains constant, you're talking about a 8.1% increase in power.  I'd guess that given the factors I'm aware of, you're probably looking at closer to one full season rather than 3 months.  8-10% wouldn't be uncommon in 3 months if you were coming off a run focus where your cycling fitness wasn't anywhere near it's peak...or if you were 100% commited to cycling.

2014-01-09 5:23 PM
in reply to: cdkayak

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
Originally posted by cdkayak

Originally posted by JAYCT

Here is the file for workout #3 this week.

Later, I will try putting it in Ergdb as well and will let you know when I did

If the file doesn't work for you, let me know, maybe some small kinks to work out

It is important you set your new CP in GC for this workout to be correct, since it works of % of CP.
To set a new CP go int

Tools->Options->Athlete

Select the Power tab
Set a date you want it to be effective from "Say Jan 7 2014", set the CP and press +

Anyone get this file to work in Trainerroad yet? I tried for a little but couldn't get it. Let me know and I'll add it for the team workouts or let me know if you published it and I'll go searching.

Give this file a try, it should work. There was some extra whitespace on a couple of lines and a missing space after an '='. Not sure which fixed it but it works now.

Thanks! I've saved it in the team workouts. Please verify you can find it on your actual application. I can see it under the 'custom' button. It is cleverly called "BT Power - Week 1 - #3".

ALSO, for all of the people who are members, I went in and made you all administrators so you can add workouts as well. Just in case you are gung ho to get it going before I get the chance to upload it from now on.

Any other tips, questions, comments, insights, let me know.

I'm going to try and get this one in tomorrow morning.
2014-01-09 5:30 PM

User image

Master

Marc:

Mitch

Thanks! Looks like unless I setup an NT+ device on GC that it won't run the workout? I've done the garmin connect workouts for speed workouts so this will be a good way to do the cycling ones for me! Awesome.
2014-01-09 7:18 PM

Ok...

So I did the 20 min test. I kept thinking about how I looked weak by not finishing it, but I swear, it was mostly mechanical. It probably wasn't smart doing it 3 hours after my failed attempt but I'd rather be seen as dumb than weak.

But I have to admit, I cheated.

The last few minutes I had my two daughters cheer me on with "GO DADDY GO."

I managed 294 watts or 3.72 w/kg. I wish I would have gone for 300 but I was pretty spent at the end.

2014-01-09 7:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Maine

• But I have to admit, I cheated.

I managed 294 watts or 3.72 w/kg. I wish I would have gone for 300 but I was pretty spent at the end.

Whatever it takes! Nice job.
    2014-01-09 7:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Ok...

So I did the 20 min test. I kept thinking about how I looked weak by not finishing it, but I swear, it was mostly mechanical. It probably wasn't smart doing it 3 hours after my failed attempt but I'd rather be seen as dumb than weak.

But I have to admit, I cheated.

That is amazing.
    First time I ever hear of a FTP test with a cheering section.
    Congratulations!!

2014-01-09 7:33 PM

User image

Veteran
    Maine
    OK, both the 5 & the 20 min test are done.

I think I had a little more in the tank for the 5 min test, but I had trouble finding a cadence on the 20. I'm stronger at the lower cadences but I was trying to keep this around 90 for the test. Cadence is something I've been trying to work on lately. Had to go with a slightly lower cadence for part of the second 10 minutes to finish.

Attachments
    ----------------
    5minCP.csv (101KB - 8 downloads)
    20minCP.csv (116KB - 9 downloads)
    2014-01-09 7:42 PM
    in reply to: JAYCT

User image

Veteran
    Maine
    Originally posted by JAYCT

Thanks! I've saved it in the team workouts. Please verify you can find it on your actual application. I can see it under the 'custom' button. It is cleverly called "BT Power - Week 1 - #3".

ALSO, for all of the people who are members, I went in and made you all administrators so you can add workouts as well. Just in case you are gung ho to get it going before I get the chance to upload it from now on.

Any other tips, questions, comments, insights, let me know.

I'm going to try and get this one in tomorrow morning.

Glad that worked.

It showed up fine for me in TR so we should be all set. If I add any I'll keep the same naming convention.
    2014-01-09 8:01 PM

User image

Veteran
    Houston, Texas
    Originally posted by ImSoreOk...So I did the 20 min test. I kept thinking about how I looked weak by not finishing it, but I swear, it was mostly mechanical. It probably wasn't smart doing it 3 hours after my failed attempt but I'd rather be seen as dumb than weak.But I have to admit, I cheated.The last few minutes I had my two daughters cheer me on with "GO DADDY GO." I managed 294 watts or 3.72 w/kg. I wish I would have gone for 300 but I was pretty spent at the end.
    Wow, two 20 minute tests in one day? You're crazy! And apparently a beast on the bike. Nice results!!

2014-01-09 8:33 PM

User image

Pro

That is the Hunter Allen protocol.

... and here it is!

206 W for the 5' test (3.4 w/kg)

166 W for the 20' test (2.7 w/kg)

(up from 185 and 145 six weeks ago - partially training, partially suffering more on the test)

My trainer workouts are going to suck SO MUCH MORE now!

GC pictured below. TP data here: http://tpks.ws/js7A

Edited by ratherbeswimming 2014-01-09 8:35 PM

(9janFTPtest.jpg)

Attachments
    ----------------
    9janFTPtest.jpg (127KB - 6 downloads)
    2014-01-09 8:59 PM

Here is the 20 min test.

Edited by ImSore 2014-01-09 9:21 PM

(20min1.png)

Attachments
    ----------------
    20min1.png (46KB - 4 downloads)
    2014-01-10 12:00 AM

User image

Pro

Hey ya'll.......we didn't end up being a part of this group because of other training opportunities, but I thought I'd post up here instead of the classified because this is a smoking deal.  I just bought a very lightly used Powertap G3 (wireless) full wheelset for my son.  It came with the joule, HR strap, and both wheels.....$650.00.

If you do a search you will find that this is about 1/2 (or more) of what a new set goes for.  I bought it from the manager of my local bke shop and he happens to have another set that he had bought for his wife.......less than 300 miles on it.  He wants $650.00 for this set as well. He's selling them because he is obviously hooked up with the vendors and is switching to Vector pedals.

I have no idea what he will do for shipping, but if someone here wants a great deal on a Cycleops G3 wheelset with joule and HR strap I'll put you in touch with him.  Like I said, $650.00 complete......plus whatever you can work out for shipping. PM me if interested.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming....sorry for the delay.

It's this wheelset:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/cycleops-powertap-alloy-g3-training-wheelset

Edited by Left Brain 2014-01-10 12:08 AM
    2014-01-10 12:02 AM

User image

Managed to squeeze in a 5' test on my ride home.  Not the typical warm up...it was about an hour in which actually felt a lot better than the traditional 20-25' warm up.

367 watts, and I think I had a little more in the tank.  Definitely hurt, but I didn't go into incredible hulk mode the last 60" like I would if it were a race or something.  Still happy as I think this is a personal best for me despite being so early in the season.  Test was outdoors on a road bike, on the hoods but crouching down a bit.  Seated the entire time.  Also slightly uphill (maybe 1% grade) and into a 5 mph headwind.

Edited by Jason N 2014-01-10 12:08 AM

(5 minute test 1.9.14.jpg)

Attachments
    ----------------
    5 minute test 1.9.14.jpg (95KB - 4 downloads)
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Rss Feed  

of 73

RELATED POSTS

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
    Views: 16474 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
    Views: 30260 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75

Started by slornow
    Views: 61421 Posts: 1862

2014-05-16 5:48 PM GoldenSprocket

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
    Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
    Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : January 29, 2013
    author : Scott Tinley
    comments : 0
    There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 15, 2010
    author : EndurancePlanet
    This month we talk with gsmacleod, aka Coach Shane MacLeod on his coaching philosophy, his approach to gadgets, training plans, missed workouts and strength training.
    date : April 23, 2009
    author : Team BT
    comments : 1
    The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : March 4, 2009
    author : jasongootman
    In this third part, we discuss bike workout types and how they relate to power training. Power analysis of workouts included. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.
    date : December 3, 2008
    author : jasongootman
    What is power training? In this first part, learn the terms and definitions associated with power training. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : October 21, 2008
    author : Coach AJ
    Training with a power meter will make sure that you are spending every minute on the bike effectively. Racing with a power meter will keep you humble and in your proper zones on race day.
    date : April 1, 2008
    author : sportfactory
    How will a power meter help my cycling training and racing? A few questions and answers will help determine if a power meter will be good for you.

date : February 19, 2007
    author : Terese Luikens
    Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.