BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 CLOSED Thread 2 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 49

2014-04-24 11:35 PM
in reply to: jbwills

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014 CLOSED Thread 2

Originally posted by jbwills Race is done, report will be done later. I am off to sleepy land, but wanted to share the time. 1:55, 13.05 miles, 8:49 avg PPM. I am very pleased. More after a few hours of sleep.

Woooooooooooooooooot!  Nice work Jonathan! 

2014-04-24 11:50 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by jbwills Race is done, report will be done later. I am off to sleepy land, but wanted to share the time. 1:55, 13.05 miles, 8:49 avg PPM. I am very pleased. More after a few hours of sleep.

Excellent!  You earned some sleep.

2014-04-25 1:29 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Excellent!  You earned some sleep.

CONGRATULATIONS HOT DOG!

2014-04-25 1:48 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by StaceyK

I have a treadmill set up next to my trainer now. No excuses for heat or sick kids

hopefully your treadmill doesn't look like mine I really have to clean it up cause time to start using it now that it is dark until much later in the morning.

Yes, looks really hard to run on--especially the overcoming gravity bit (says the girl who cannot seem to post non-sideways FB pics)

Hope you're getting some rest for the pups! It's that joyful but wistful time when they're getting ready to go ... awwww ...

2014-04-25 3:04 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

I have a treadmill set up next to my trainer now. No excuses for heat or sick kids

hopefully your treadmill doesn't look like mine I really have to clean it up cause time to start using it now that it is dark until much later in the morning.

Yes, looks really hard to run on--especially the overcoming gravity bit (says the girl who cannot seem to post non-sideways FB pics)

Hope you're getting some rest for the pups! It's that joyful but wistful time when they're getting ready to go ... awwww ...

does it show upside down? It's the right way up on my iPad.

The pups are 7 weeks old now and are extremely cute but man they have sharp teeth and can poo like you wouldn't believe We keep them till they are 10 weeks old so 3weeks to go.

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (2683KB - 2 downloads)
2014-04-25 6:44 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by melbo55

Just a friendly reminder to ALWAYS wear your helmet and stay alert when riding or racing.  See what's around you.  There was a serious bike wreck at the race I worked at over the weekend, very, very scary at the time but thankfully it has a happy ending - the most seriously hurt rider is home after a 3 day stay in the hospital.  Thank heavens he had a high quality helmet.  It may be tough to see in the small pics but it there is a sticker that reads Kevlar.

side shots

top and front views

Melanie,

I brought my bike to ride home from work last night and noticed I had no helmet, DOH! So, I brought the bike downstairs and put it back in the van, then called TW and told we were going home together. Then I saw this. I just don't see how people ride without them. TW and I go back and forth on this and she is finally on board with wearing it all the time. I get that she doesn't want to "mess up her hair", but I'm more concerned about messing up her brain. 

I'm glad that folks are doing better.

2014-04-25 7:25 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Ann-Marie starts the Smoky Mountain Relay today.  I'm not sure what time.  I keep on watching the weather for her.  It looks like they are having some showers in the area but nothing looks to serious -- http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ridge2/ridgenew2/?rid=NAT&pid=N0Q&lat=35.20073971012529&lon=-82.07336890624997&zoom=7&frames=1&fs=0 (she's more or less near the 23 on the map.  If you zoom in, she's running basically from Brevard to Cullowhee to Ellijay, looping south of Franklin toward Whittier on the map).

Good weather thoughts, Hands!

2014-04-25 7:42 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by laffinrock

I need some Manatee advice.  I'm signed up for a 1.5 mi. race on Sunday; there's a 5K option.  I've been doing my running based on time, not distance.  Just got a 310XT so I can track the distance now.  Current training has been/will be as follows:

• 2.46 mi. (3 min walking, 2 min running x 6)
  • 2.78 mi (2.5 min walking, 2.5 min running x 6 plus 5 min extra walking because of tech problems
  • Today will be another 2.5/2.5, probably for 30 min although I could stretch it to 35 min.
  • Scheduled to do 2 min walking, 3 min running x 6 on Sunday, again could stretch to 35 min.
  • Monday is my rest day

I'm thinking about doing the 5K on Sunday.  It's a really flat course.   It's a little bit of stretch but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility.  Think I can/should do it?

Echoing what the others have said, it seems very doable and a logical progression.  And again, as others wisely said, stick to your plan of running/walking and you will do just fine!

I was thinking that too. If you aren't sure of adding in another run segment or two just add in more walking. All you want to do is just get there as it's easy to to push more in a race. Keep watching how long each run segment is and the total time spent running.

2014-04-25 7:51 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Our family location may be changing in the next few months. I'm doing lots of city researching.

Whoa, whoa, whoooooaaaa - details, woman!!

Probably looking at something a bit cooler. Wanna switch?

Kinda like you might be looking to switch for some hills. lol

I'll check with Hands-Marie when she gets done in the Smokies to find out what these hills are that you people talk about 

2014-04-25 7:54 AM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by MadMathemagician Saw the post on tt that had a link to monterrey's 70.3. I want to swim in that crazy lazy river. The St. Lucia River walk looks irresistible. Next year's 70.3 is in March. The logistics of the trip are doable. It would be a 1200 mile trip one way. Must investigate the cost of flying versus the cost of driving. My Spanish is passable and I have plenty of time to refresh my vocabulary. I know the consensus of the Manatee is just do it but I want to hear everyone thoughts about this. Mucho gracias y est tiempo por una cerveza, mis amigos.

Of COURSE we're all going to say dooooooooo eeeeeeeeeeeeeet! 

The race really sounds like a fun one to do - and I've looked at it more than once purely due to the gorgeous swim venue.  It's certainly on my bucket list of travel races - though for ME, I'd rather fly in and get there sooner with more time to chill by the water than spend the time driving.  Whichever you choose though, I'm sure you'll have a phenomenal trip - which will be made easier with your Spanish. 

I may not enjoy beer, but when isn't it time for a drink??  

Do they have rubber duckie swim caps?

I would wonder if there is enough space on the bike with 3 laps, but that's not as much of a concern for everyone. There tends to be room by the time the run comes around.

Would also factor in the fatigue of that much driving right before a bigger race. Whether that means much to you, if someone else will be sharing the driving, or maybe getting there a little earlier.

Edited by brigby1 2014-04-25 7:55 AM
2014-04-25 8:43 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Our family location may be changing in the next few months. I'm doing lots of city researching.

Whoa, whoa, whoooooaaaa - details, woman!!

Probably looking at something a bit cooler. Wanna switch?

Kinda like you might be looking to switch for some hills. lol

I'll check with Hands-Marie when she gets done in the Smokies to find out what these hills are that you people talk about 

Oh, she'll be able to tell you.  A friend of mine from Jacksonville, FL has a place near Cullowhee and she is going to be up there this weekend.  I looked at the Smoky Mountain Relay segment map to see if it was going near Lizz's place.  It's actually going on her road (segment 10).  I've biked on that road and it's not too awful until near the top where it approaches the Blue Ridge Parkway.  I checked back with Hands and she is running segment 8, which goes up to and then crosses the BRP.  I'm pretty sure that she'll be able to discuss hills with you in detail.

She's also running 19 and 36.

2014-04-25 8:45 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Catch up...

Erin - moving?  possible locations?  possible timing? 
Mary - We're told that Monica's lack of affinity for chocolate works out well for her DH
Melanie - I read about that awful crash in your blog.  Seeing the helmet though... wow!
Jonathan TN - I hope that you had a great run!

2014-04-25 9:54 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Unfortunately there is no way that I've found to remove races from one's race list.

This is convoluted but I think it should do the trick

Races > My Races > click on race name > Edit Race Report > (scroll to bottom of report) Delete

Should we file a usability report?

2014-04-25 9:54 AM

User image

Denver, CO

WAY TO ROCK THAT COUNTRY MUSIC, JONATHAN!!!! 

2014-04-25 10:10 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by laffinrock

I need some Manatee advice.  I'm signed up for a 1.5 mi. race on Sunday; there's a 5K option.  I've been doing my running based on time, not distance.  Just got a 310XT so I can track the distance now.  Current training has been/will be as follows:

• 2.46 mi. (3 min walking, 2 min running x 6)
  • 2.78 mi (2.5 min walking, 2.5 min running x 6 plus 5 min extra walking because of tech problems
  • Today will be another 2.5/2.5, probably for 30 min although I could stretch it to 35 min.
  • Scheduled to do 2 min walking, 3 min running x 6 on Sunday, again could stretch to 35 min.
  • Monday is my rest day

I'm thinking about doing the 5K on Sunday.  It's a really flat course.   It's a little bit of stretch but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility.  Think I can/should do it?

Echoing what the others have said, it seems very doable and a logical progression.  And again, as others wisely said, stick to your plan of running/walking and you will do just fine!

I was thinking that too. If you aren't sure of adding in another run segment or two just add in more walking. All you want to do is just get there as it's easy to to push more in a race. Keep watching how long each run segment is and the total time spent running.

Did a little extra last night (2.8 mi., then another 15 min walking the dog); no problems with the extra interval.  A little sore this morning but not bad.  As for pushing it too much, DH will be with me with the watch set for run/walk intervals.  He's a great support plus I'm pretty good about doing my own pace, not others'.  I've done other races where I start with walking and will do that this time too.  While it's a little demoralizing to start out watching the pack leave me in the dust, I always catch up and pass people who started out too fast.  DH and I are  part of a team from my work that's doing it and I know some of the others will be walking too.  The weather's supposed to be chilly but I think it's gonna be fine.  Thanks for the encouragement, everybody!  The support from and camaraderie with my fellow Manatees has really helped me feel like I'm not doing this alone.

2014-04-25 10:13 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

does it show upside down? It's the right way up on my iPad. The pups are 7 weeks old now and are extremely cute but man they have sharp teeth and can poo like you wouldn't believe We keep them till they are 10 weeks old so 3weeks to go.

Awww, baby!!  Just want to kiss kiss kiss that sweet jowly face!!  And I think having the treadmill on the ceiling might be part of the reason you haven't been using it.

2014-04-25 10:27 AM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!

April 26-27
Jonathan TN - RnR Country Music half marathon, JAF edition on Friday
Ann-Marie - Smoky Mountain Relay on Friday and Saturday
Darren - Tour of Pembrokeshire ride on Saturday
Kate - American River Parkway 1/2 Marathon on Saturday
Judi - Ashland 10K run on Saturday
Judi - Powhatan Metric Century ride on Sunday
Mary - Cherry Creek Sneak 5k run on Sunday
Ashley - Carmel Sprint Triathlon  on Sunday
Randee - Simsbury River Run 10K on Sunday

Disabled list:
Tom - lateral collateral ligament sprain in knee (improving)
Matt - left knee, plus hamstring is aggrevated but ortho said no tears, patello-femoral-syndrome.  Went to Paris anyway!

Great work Jonathan TN!  Run like you stole it Ann-Marie -- hope the van isn't already stinky!  Good luck and have fun everyone!

2014-04-25 10:58 AM

User image

Master

haha! It's just a good thing it isn't anywhere near my bedroom or it would be relegated to dresser/closet status within a day
2014-04-25 11:12 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Just a friendly reminder to ALWAYS wear your helmet and stay alert when riding or racing.  See what's around you.  There was a serious bike wreck at the race I worked at over the weekend, very, very scary at the time but thankfully it has a happy ending - the most seriously hurt rider is home after a 3 day stay in the hospital.  Thank heavens he had a high quality helmet.  It may be tough to see in the small pics but it there is a sticker that reads Kevlar.

side shots

top and front views

Melanie,

I brought my bike to ride home from work last night and noticed I had no helmet, DOH! So, I brought the bike downstairs and put it back in the van, then called TW and told we were going home together. Then I saw this. I just don't see how people ride without them. TW and I go back and forth on this and she is finally on board with wearing it all the time. I get that she doesn't want to "mess up her hair", but I'm more concerned about messing up her brain. 

I'm so glad you chose to not ride without your helmet and have gotten DW to come around to your way of thinking.  Yeah, messed up brain is FAR worse than messed up hair.  The racer hit a farm tractor head on (quite literally, if you look at the helmet pics you can see the red and grey paint from the tractor), the rider was probably going around 25 mph or more and the tractor probably 15-20.  He cracked and broke off much of the thick plastic trim on the tractor and also put a dent in the grill (or radiator or whatever it is).  He sustained a broken collarbone, broken ribs, punctured lung, large gash into the muscle in his thigh, and lost the tip of his index finger (at the scene from the accident).  'Only' a mild concussion and some facial brusing and scrapes.   I know without the helmet that would NOT have been the case.

Edited by melbo55 2014-04-25 11:13 AM
2014-04-25 11:13 AM

User image

Melon Presser

GO Hands-Marie!!!
GO Dazzers!!!
GO Katiefrog!!!
GO^2 St. Jude!!!
GO HappyStoned!!!
GO Walden Pond!!!
GO Randeetee!!!

Disabled list:
Easy does it, Foxy.
Tres bien, McManateux!

2014-04-25 11:14 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!

April 26-27
Jonathan TN - RnR Country Music half marathon, JAF edition on Friday
Ann-Marie - Smoky Mountain Relay on Friday and Saturday
Darren - Tour of Pembrokeshire ride on Saturday
Kate - American River Parkway 1/2 Marathon on Saturday
Judi - Ashland 10K run on Saturday
Judi - Powhatan Metric Century ride on Sunday
Mary - Cherry Creek Sneak 5k run on Sunday
Ashley - Carmel Sprint Triathlon  on Sunday
Randee - Simsbury River Run 10K on Sunday

Disabled list:
Tom - lateral collateral ligament sprain in knee (improving)
Matt - left knee, plus hamstring is aggrevated but ortho said no tears, patello-femoral-syndrome.  Went to Paris anyway!

Great work Jonathan TN!  Run like you stole it Ann-Marie -- hope the van isn't already stinky!  Good luck and have fun everyone!

What a robust racing list!!

GOOOOOO MANATEEEEEES!!!!

2014-04-25 11:16 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Excellent work, Jonathan!!

2014-04-25 11:17 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Thanks to those who offered insight as to deleting races - two are GONE!!  And sadly, only two remain.  I've never had a race schedule this devoid of registered, planned, for-sure events!  No me gusta!  I have some on my radar but didn't commit to them yet.

2014-04-25 11:27 AM

User image

Denver, CO

side shots

top and front views

Melanie,

I'm so glad you chose to not ride without your helmet and have gotten DW to come around to your way of thinking.  Yeah, messed up brain is FAR worse than messed up hair.  The racer hit a farm tractor head on (quite literally, if you look at the helmet pics you can see the red and grey paint from the tractor), the rider was probably going around 25 mph or more and the tractor probably 15-20.  He cracked and broke off much of the thick plastic trim on the tractor and also put a dent in the grill (or radiator or whatever it is).  He sustained a broken collarbone, broken ribs, punctured lung, large gash into the muscle in his thigh, and lost the tip of his index finger (at the scene from the accident).  'Only' a mild concussion and some facial brusing and scrapes.   I know without the helmet that would NOT have been the case.

Holy cow.  I know you said it was bad, but holy...cow...  No wonder you were so shaken by it. 

I again saw several people riding to work today without helmets, then running red lights when they didn't see any opposing traffic.  Makes me shake my head every time.  We have a lot of "sharrows" in our part of town, where bikes and cars are supposed to share lanes.  So far they've worked pretty well. They still make me nervous, especially for those people riding cruisers or fixies with no helmets and no apparent awareness that they're supposed to share the road with cars as well as vice versa.

2014-04-25 11:30 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Thanks to those who offered insight as to deleting races - two are GONE!!  And sadly, only two remain.  I've never had a race schedule this devoid of registered, planned, for-sure events!  No me gusta!  I have some on my radar but didn't commit to them yet.

Maybe having the empty schedule will motivate you to commit to some of those races you've been considering?  Either way, it's okay.  Sometimes you gotta take a break.  Besides, you're still doing something instead of nothing. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 CLOSED Thread 2 Rss Feed  

of 49

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Pages: 1 ... 100 101 102 103

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 64688 Posts: 2563

2014-04-03 7:43 AM IndoIronYanti

New Year 2014 Mentor Program is OPEN! Instructions Inside

Started by Ron
Views: 2977 Posts: 20

2014-03-26 2:43 PM simoneocean

Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by uhcoog
Views: 28164 Posts: 719

2014-05-18 9:18 PM kathleenkp

2014 Rookies - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16

Started by Jason N
Views: 16393 Posts: 376

2014-04-28 2:54 PM Danmartinids

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
Views: 100352 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.