BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2022-03-26 6:41 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022
Originally posted by Hot RunnerNot sure if it qualifies as "fun" but I did a 40 mile ride on Thursday and am planning a metric century for tomorrow. Just hoping our typical "morning fog" clears up at some point during the ride, not a few hours after finishing the way it did Thursday. (Thursday's ride featured two of our area's most epic climbs and it was 37 degrees on the first descent. Felt like I wasn't wearing anything. Yikes!) Tomorrow's route features more hills but, to my knowledge, not exactly the same ones. Hopefully a few covered bridges. I haven't done the further part of that loop for a few years and as I recall, there were some nice ones.
Oohj, post some photos please!

2022-03-26 8:28 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Sorry, no covered bridges today. Those apparently are diversions off the main route. The bridges in the Coast Range are exceedingly hard to find! I have a vague idea where they are relative to towns, wineries, and other landmarks but only actually see some of them a few times a decade when a ride leader happens to route past them. Anyway, it was a beautiful ride (58 miles, actually, since I decided to head home directly from the route rather than fight market-day traffic downtown) but I didn't get to take any pictures. Lots and lots of hills.

Attempting to attach some pics from Google to give a general idea of some of the scenery. Basically a mix of local wine country in the foothills of the Coast Range, dense forests in the actual Coast Range, and the local "cycling magnets" (as in, they have bike racks furnished by local clubs) of Crow and Noti, little towns that time forgot (and, in Noti's case, that the last revision of the coast highway completely bypassed). The last one is a historic railroad trestle (about 100 years old) along the road into Noti.

Edited by Hot Runner 2022-03-26 8:38 PM

(Screen Shot 2022-03-26 at 6.36.52 PM.png)

(Screen Shot 2022-03-26 at 6.22.17 PM.png)

(Screen Shot 2022-03-26 at 6.41.18 PM.png)

Attachments
----------------
Screen Shot 2022-03-26 at 6.36.52 PM.png (386KB - 4 downloads)
Screen Shot 2022-03-26 at 6.22.17 PM.png (513KB - 4 downloads)
Screen Shot 2022-03-26 at 6.41.18 PM.png (1368KB - 4 downloads)
2022-03-27 9:55 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by Hot RunnerSorry, no covered bridges today. Those apparently are diversions off the main route. The bridges in the Coast Range are exceedingly hard to find! I have a vague idea where they are relative to towns, wineries, and other landmarks but only actually see some of them a few times a decade when a ride leader happens to route past them. Anyway, it was a beautiful ride (58 miles, actually, since I decided to head home directly from the route rather than fight market-day traffic downtown) but I didn't get to take any pictures. Lots and lots of hills. Attempting to attach some pics from Google to give a general idea of some of the scenery. Basically a mix of local wine country in the foothills of the Coast Range, dense forests in the actual Coast Range, and the local "cycling magnets" (as in, they have bike racks furnished by local clubs) of Crow and Noti, little towns that time forgot (and, in Noti's case, that the last revision of the coast highway completely bypassed). The last one is a historic railroad trestle (about 100 years old) along the road into Noti.
Thanks for the photos. It sounds like a great place to ride. Fun!
2022-03-27 11:08 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by ceilidh
Originally posted by Hot RunnerSorry, no covered bridges today. Those apparently are diversions off the main route. The bridges in the Coast Range are exceedingly hard to find! I have a vague idea where they are relative to towns, wineries, and other landmarks but only actually see some of them a few times a decade when a ride leader happens to route past them. Anyway, it was a beautiful ride (58 miles, actually, since I decided to head home directly from the route rather than fight market-day traffic downtown) but I didn't get to take any pictures. Lots and lots of hills. Attempting to attach some pics from Google to give a general idea of some of the scenery. Basically a mix of local wine country in the foothills of the Coast Range, dense forests in the actual Coast Range, and the local "cycling magnets" (as in, they have bike racks furnished by local clubs) of Crow and Noti, little towns that time forgot (and, in Noti's case, that the last revision of the coast highway completely bypassed). The last one is a historic railroad trestle (about 100 years old) along the road into Noti.

Agreed! I'd love to ride there!

2022-03-28 8:39 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Cypress, Texas

I was my goal to make it back to cycling this weekend.  I am not really sure what my training plan should look like for Duathlon Nations in 5 weeks, but decided that I was going to do a 10K run at race pace followed by a 40K bike ride with half of that at race pace too....you know, for FUN.  :-)  I have lived in Houston for a year now, but still don't ride on the streets.  I found a route for the run and bike but was not feeling good about doing a ride solo on streets that I had never seen before.  So I went to my local tri club forum hoping to find someone to ride with.  I lucked out.  Someone had posted that they were doing a 30-mile ride exactly at the time I planned to ride and exactly at the pace that I typically doing my outdoor training rides at.  We met up just 12 minutes from where I live which was convenient and had a great right.  It was possibly my favorite ride since I moved to Houston a year ago.  I ended up hitting 36 miles, so it was a bit more than the 40K I was shooting for, but I didn't get any of the race pace intensity on the bike (just on the run) so I think that I am still on track with training goals.   

2022-03-28 12:51 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

I love the photos too!

2022-03-28 12:55 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by BlueBoy26

I was my goal to make it back to cycling this weekend.  I am not really sure what my training plan should look like for Duathlon Nations in 5 weeks, but decided that I was going to do a 10K run at race pace followed by a 40K bike ride with half of that at race pace too....you know, for FUN.  :-)  I have lived in Houston for a year now, but still don't ride on the streets.  I found a route for the run and bike but was not feeling good about doing a ride solo on streets that I had never seen before.  So I went to my local tri club forum hoping to find someone to ride with.  I lucked out.  Someone had posted that they were doing a 30-mile ride exactly at the time I planned to ride and exactly at the pace that I typically doing my outdoor training rides at.  We met up just 12 minutes from where I live which was convenient and had a great right.  It was possibly my favorite ride since I moved to Houston a year ago.  I ended up hitting 36 miles, so it was a bit more than the 40K I was shooting for, but I didn't get any of the race pace intensity on the bike (just on the run) so I think that I am still on track with training goals.   

That's fantastic! That you got the FUN ride/run and hit the goals you wanted, AND that you got a companion!

Also... you truly motivated me to run today, and to be back to the training. When I read your post on "a 10K run at race pace followed by a 40K bike ride" I thought.... ugh... I used to be able to comfortably run for an hour, and no problem riding 40k at any moment..... And I just missed those days, and realized those moments won't just magically happen - I need to start with one mile to get to ten, so I put my running shorts on and went for an easy run Training day 1!
2022-03-28 2:03 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by juniperjen

Good morning Manatees - how's it going everyone?? 

I thought this little podcast episode is very applicable to us endurance athletes who are very motivated by 'finish lines' but also know that achieving a finish line does not mean that you'll always keep going. 

https://gretchenrubin.com/podcast-episode/little-happier-finish-lines 

Thanks for sharing, I'll take a listen!

Short podcast but she made some good points. Thanks for sharing.

2022-03-28 2:04 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

March 26-27
No racers that I know of -— but we do have some athletes that are tapering for events next weekend so stay tuned!

Is anyone racing or doing anything else fun this weekend?

Have we come to any decisions about the Strava group(s)? Multisport? Triathlon?

I did a virtual sprint tri today. super duper slow, but not bad for during recovery.

Awesome!

2022-03-28 2:05 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

March 26-27
No racers that I know of -— but we do have some athletes that are tapering for events next weekend so stay tuned!

I never could find the Stava group, so I have no say.

https://www.strava.com/clubs/Team-Teddy-Zoe << request to join if you are interested in checking it out

Edited by jmkizer 2022-03-28 2:06 PM
2022-03-28 2:09 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by marysia83 Proof of life! I still feel as if it was January, and cannot believe it's almost April... The year has not started for me as planned - although, I had super optimistic plans for 2022. Nothing to complain about, but rather super depressing mood that did not help, and rather caused apathy. I decided to buy a home, but the market is crazy, and even though my financial situation looks pretty good, the max I would qualify for is still too low for the competition in Colorado. So that is discouraging. I also had some back and forth at work about my promotion that I finally got (after waiting for almost 3 years!), but that caused a lot of stress. And the war in Ukraine, and my country's involvement. That depressed me a lot. I don't know when and how, but three months passed and I finally need to admit we are not in January anymore... I hope everyone is doing well!

Ugh!  That's  lot.  Omicron + housing market + work stress + Ukraine is A LOT.

2022-03-28 2:11 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Not sure if it qualifies as "fun" but I did a 40 mile ride on Thursday and am planning a metric century for tomorrow. Just hoping our typical "morning fog" clears up at some point during the ride, not a few hours after finishing the way it did Thursday. (Thursday's ride featured two of our area's most epic climbs and it was 37 degrees on the first descent. Felt like I wasn't wearing anything. Yikes!) Tomorrow's route features more hills but, to my knowledge, not exactly the same ones. Hopefully a few covered bridges. I haven't done the further part of that loop for a few years and as I recall, there were some nice ones.

Sounds fun to me!

2022-03-28 2:13 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Someone to ride with for the WIN!

2022-03-28 2:34 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Someone to ride with for the WIN!

Great reward for reaching out!
2022-03-28 2:35 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by marysia83 Proof of life! I still feel as if it was January, and cannot believe it's almost April... The year has not started for me as planned - although, I had super optimistic plans for 2022. Nothing to complain about, but rather super depressing mood that did not help, and rather caused apathy. I decided to buy a home, but the market is crazy, and even though my financial situation looks pretty good, the max I would qualify for is still too low for the competition in Colorado. So that is discouraging. I also had some back and forth at work about my promotion that I finally got (after waiting for almost 3 years!), but that caused a lot of stress. And the war in Ukraine, and my country's involvement. That depressed me a lot. I don't know when and how, but three months passed and I finally need to admit we are not in January anymore... I hope everyone is doing well!

Ugh!  That's  lot.  Omicron + housing market + work stress + Ukraine is A LOT.

that is a lot. Just keep one foot in front of the other and take care of you
2022-03-28 2:36 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
I got to ride my "new" bike for the first time today. It was fun. The poor thing needs a tune up from sitting idle for over a year. As I was riding at Ft Desoto park, i noticed a warning sign for a triathlon this weekend. I figured I had nothing to lose so I made a deal with myself: if the weather looks good, it is a sprint and isn't sold out, I'd do it. All those things ligned up, so I signed up. The packet pickup is at a bike shop in Clearwater, so I made an appointment to get a tune up there.

2022-03-28 2:40 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ceilidh I got to ride my "new" bike for the first time today. It was fun. The poor thing needs a tune up from sitting idle for over a year. As I was riding at Ft Desoto park, i noticed a warning sign for a triathlon this weekend. I figured I had nothing to lose so I made a deal with myself: if the weather looks good, it is a sprint and isn't sold out, I'd do it. All those things ligned up, so I signed up. The packet pickup is at a bike shop in Clearwater, so I made an appointment to get a tune up there.

Nice!

2022-03-28 3:24 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

I got to ride my "new" bike for the first time today. It was fun. The poor thing needs a tune up from sitting idle for over a year. As I was riding at Ft Desoto park, i noticed a warning sign for a triathlon this weekend. I figured I had nothing to lose so I made a deal with myself: if the weather looks good, it is a sprint and isn't sold out, I'd do it. All those things ligned up, so I signed up. The packet pickup is at a bike shop in Clearwater, so I made an appointment to get a tune up there.

Love it!
2022-03-28 3:35 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by ceilidh I got to ride my "new" bike for the first time today. It was fun. The poor thing needs a tune up from sitting idle for over a year. As I was riding at Ft Desoto park, i noticed a warning sign for a triathlon this weekend. I figured I had nothing to lose so I made a deal with myself: if the weather looks good, it is a sprint and isn't sold out, I'd do it. All those things ligned up, so I signed up. The packet pickup is at a bike shop in Clearwater, so I made an appointment to get a tune up there.

Woo Hoo! 

2022-03-28 4:07 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by marysia83

I was my goal to make it back to cycling this weekend.  I am not really sure what my training plan should look like..., but decided that I was going to do a 10K run at race pace followed by a 40K bike ride..., for FUN.....  :-)

That's fantastic! That you got the FUN ride/run and hit the goals you wanted, AND that you got a companion! Also... you truly motivated me to run today, and to be back to the training. When I read your post on "a 10K run at race pace followed by a 40K bike ride" I thought.... ugh... I used to be able to comfortably run for an hour, and no problem riding 40k at any moment..... And I just missed those days, and realized those moments won't just magically happen - I need to start with one mile to get to ten, so I put my running shorts on and went for an easy run :) Training day 1!

I am glad to hear I inspired someone to run.   

Edited by BlueBoy26 2022-03-28 4:09 PM
2022-03-28 4:15 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Racing Manatees!!!

March 26-27

I did a virtual sprint tri today. super duper slow, but not bad for during recovery.
A sprint tri, wow!  Speaks volumes about how far you've come with recovery, congrats!!

2022-03-28 4:18 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

That's great you found a riding partner and were able to have an enjoyable if a tad long ride.

2022-03-28 4:19 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Hot Runner Sorry, no covered bridges today. Those apparently are diversions off the main route. The bridges in the Coast Range are exceedingly hard to find! I have a vague idea where they are relative to towns, wineries, and other landmarks but only actually see some of them a few times a decade when a ride leader happens to route past them. Anyway, it was a beautiful ride (58 miles, actually, since I decided to head home directly from the route rather than fight market-day traffic downtown) but I didn't get to take any pictures. Lots and lots of hills. Attempting to attach some pics from Google to give a general idea of some of the scenery. Basically a mix of local wine country in the foothills of the Coast Range, dense forests in the actual Coast Range, and the local "cycling magnets" (as in, they have bike racks furnished by local clubs) of Crow and Noti, little towns that time forgot (and, in Noti's case, that the last revision of the coast highway completely bypassed). The last one is a historic railroad trestle (about 100 years old) along the road into Noti.
Looks like a very nice area in which to ride!

2022-03-28 4:20 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Awesome!!

2022-03-28 4:23 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Pennsylvania

Good to see you here again, sorry things have been bringing you down lately.  Wishing the best for you.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022 Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43

Started by jmhpsu93
Views: 29146 Posts: 1069

2022-12-30 6:00 AM jmhpsu93