in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia - OPEN
Originally posted by ligersandtions
Originally posted by axteraa

Jason, I think you mentioned that you have your computer mounted between your aero bars on your bike, right?  Any chance you have a picture of that?  I just recently zip tied a cage to my aero bars, where my computer used to be mounted, so at the moment, I've been riding with it on my wrist, which is a pain as it's hard to see.

I've seriously contemplated (and initially wanted) to get a bike-specific computer, and use my 910 for swimming and "running" only.  I love the 910 for the swimming features, personally.

I'm not Jason but here is my homemade mount setup.  I'm also in the group that wouldn't give up the 500 for anything else I have seen.

Thanks, Arend!  No issues hitting the computer with the bottle when you pull it out to drink?  I think I'll try to set something up like this for my ride this weekend (will be using the 910 still, so I'll have to decide if I want to get a dedicated bike computer in the future). 

No problems at all.  The bottle comes up and forward and slides right over the computer.

2013-05-22 4:32 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Jason, I think you mentioned that you have your computer mounted between your aero bars on your bike, right?  Any chance you have a picture of that?  I just recently zip tied a cage to my aero bars, where my computer used to be mounted, so at the moment, I've been riding with it on my wrist, which is a pain as it's hard to see.

I've seriously contemplated (and initially wanted) to get a bike-specific computer, and use my 910 for swimming and "running" only.  I love the 910 for the swimming features, personally.

I'm not Jason but here is my homemade mount setup.  I'm also in the group that wouldn't give up the 500 for anything else I have seen.

Thanks, Arend!  No issues hitting the computer with the bottle when you pull it out to drink?  I think I'll try to set something up like this for my ride this weekend (will be using the 910 still, so I'll have to decide if I want to get a dedicated bike computer in the future). 

No problems at all.  The bottle comes up and forward and slides right over the computer.

My setup is very similar to Arends, but it's actually farther up forward. I don't have a picture at the moment, but think of it as being right below the electrical tape at the tip of Arend's shifters.

This gives me more room between my bottle tip and my computer, but my computer is also almost even in height with my bottle tip so I can only use shorter bottles up front instead of some of the bigger 28 ounce bottles. It will fit, but I'll hit my computer as I remove the bottle.

2013-05-23 8:46 AM
in reply to: tri808

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Here is mine:

BTA Bottle and Computer Setup.

No issues with bottle/computer contact.

2013-05-23 11:10 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Elite
Ontario
Originally posted by TankBoy

Here is mine:

Rusty - looks like you have the profile mount, is that right? I've got the shortie version, but the clasp is not wide enough to fit over my bar tape. Did you have to do anything special to make it work?
2013-05-23 1:33 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by GoFaster

Here is mine:

Rusty - looks like you have the profile mount, is that right? I've got the shortie version, but the clasp is not wide enough to fit over my bar tape. Did you have to do anything special to make it work?

Neil - the clasp is on the bar underneath the tape. I put the clasp on and screwed the mount on partway (just enough to hold the clasp). I finished wrapping the tape (working it around the clasp) and then screwed the mount the rest of the way down so it was all nice and tight. Works great and is nice and clean. This year is the first time I have tried it this way; I usually have my compeer on the stem and the bottle further forward. So far I like having it out front - A lot easier to see without having to duck your head down.

2013-05-23 1:39 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

OK resident fish, quick question (read the underlined stuff if it's too wordy).

I recently went to a 2 beat kick.  Felt great - easier and faster than before (as fitness has been coming up, too).  Then YouTube struck and I realized (hits forehead) that I'm kicking on the WRONG side (opposite side from the pull).  Or at least I think I had it wrong...

So, the last couple swims I've focused on kicking on the same side as the pull, just as the forearm is vertical and my other hand enters the water just in front of my head.  Definitely helps rotate, but I feel like my feet and hips are a bit lower than before (times have come back, after a disconcerting first swim doing this earlier this week!).

Today, I had some anaerobic and muscular endurance sets, and then 10x25 FAST, focusing on form.

When I went fast, the 2 stroke on the same side felt awesome!  When I go "pretty fast" (like my race pace for an Oly), I'm OK but do feel like my kick is too infrequent and my legs drop a bit (drag!), and almost like I want to go back to a multi-beat kick.

So, what gives?  Should I just always swim FAST?    That'd be nice, but not likely. 

Should I try to increase my spm when going a bit slower (Oly pace) to be kicking more frequently?  My spm were averaging 15, with ~8spl (so 30 and 15 counting both arms).

I'd love to be able to hold that fast swimming form and feeling (fast being 1:teens/100 for me), but I am gassed after a couple laps.

Feels like I'm getting there, but it's frustrating at the same time...

Advice is MOST welcome!

Thanks,

Matt

ETA - not sure why it made the underlined type blue...  Maybe BT "knows" when we're talking about swimming?

Edited by mcmanusclan5 2013-05-23 1:41 PM

2013-05-23 2:05 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by GoFaster

Here is mine:

Neil - the clasp is on the bar underneath the tape. I put the clasp on and screwed the mount on partway (just enough to hold the clasp). I finished wrapping the tape (working it around the clasp) and then screwed the mount the rest of the way down so it was all nice and tight. Works great and is nice and clean. This year is the first time I have tried it this way; I usually have my compeer on the stem and the bottle further forward. So far I like having it out front - A lot easier to see without having to duck your head down.

I was guessing that might have been what you did. Cool, I'm going to try that. I've been wanting to move my bottle back and put the Garmin up close to the hands. But - I'm not willing to pay $35 for a piece of plastic, and I'm DIY inept, so if I can get this one to work, that will be awesome!
2013-05-23 2:07 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Matt, I have nothing to offer really except to say I'm the opposite of you.  When I go fast, a 2 beat kick goes out the window.  1500 meter pace is probably about where I might think about maintaining it for any amount of time.  

Put me in a wetsuit and I go into 0 beat kick mode.  

2013-05-23 2:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Matt, I have nothing to offer really except to say I'm the opposite of you.  When I go fast, a 2 beat kick goes out the window.  1500 meter pace is probably about where I might think about maintaining it for any amount of time.  

Put me in a wetsuit and I go into 0 beat kick mode.  

This is what I'm hoping for, too! 

2013-05-23 4:28 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Posted this in TT but I know some of you don't go there...

IM Canada has VIP passes for $XXX. Benefits are:

•VIP Goody Bag
•VIP/Sponsor Party (Friday August 23rd)- Hosted at Whistler Sliding Center, Home of the 2010 Winter Olympic and Paralympic Bobsled, Luge, Skeleton Track
•Access to VIP area at Welcome Ceremony
•Access to VIP Viewing Area at Swim Start in Rainbow Park
•Exclusive Shuttle Service to/from Swim Start in Rainbow Park
•VIP food/beverage area at Swim Start and Finish Area- available race day August 25th
•Premium Viewing at Finish Line

This would be for my wife. Don't care much about the goody bag, or the pre-party. More for her comfort on a veeerrrryyyy long day. She spectated at IMAZ and was almost as tired as I was. The venue is Whistler, and it is a point to point. So there may be an upside with the viewing and shuttling, but maybe a downside as there's probably tons of places to hang out in the village.

Anyone ever bought one of these for their SO, and have any thoughts?

Took the cost out as it's not a concern, she's put up with so much with my training that it's a drop in the proverbial bucket (not to mention all the other costs we incur).
2013-05-23 4:52 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
I've been reading some of the Strava stuff that was in here awhile back and I finally pulled the app down and started playing with it a bit. I have never been a gadget fan while training, but this may start to push me over the edge. If you get a follower request from Chris Banting, well, you've been warned

2013-05-23 7:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

No issues with bottle/computer contact.

Thanks for the pics!  My bars are really close together....I have the same mount (I think) as you do, but it wouldn't fit like that.  Maybe I'll see if I can put it there, but on top of the bars somehow. 

2013-05-23 7:08 PM

User image

Pro
NJ

Originally posted by ChrisM Posted this in TT but I know some of you don't go there... IM Canada has VIP passes for $XXX. Benefits are: •VIP Goody Bag •VIP/Sponsor Party (Friday August 23rd)- Hosted at Whistler Sliding Center, Home of the 2010 Winter Olympic and Paralympic Bobsled, Luge, Skeleton Track •Access to VIP area at Welcome Ceremony •Access to VIP Viewing Area at Swim Start in Rainbow Park •Exclusive Shuttle Service to/from Swim Start in Rainbow Park •VIP food/beverage area at Swim Start and Finish Area- available race day August 25th •Premium Viewing at Finish Line This would be for my wife. Don't care much about the goody bag, or the pre-party. More for her comfort on a veeerrrryyyy long day. She spectated at IMAZ and was almost as tired as I was. The venue is Whistler, and it is a point to point. So there may be an upside with the viewing and shuttling, but maybe a downside as there's probably tons of places to hang out in the village. Anyone ever bought one of these for their SO, and have any thoughts? Took the cost out as it's not a concern, she's put up with so much with my training that it's a drop in the proverbial bucket (not to mention all the other costs we incur).

Chris, I've never purchased one of these and only spectated as a friend at IM events, but no point to points. The shuttle is probably nice. The VIP area might be worth it though. It wouldn't be the food/beverage but I believe they usually have nicer/separate porta-potties. At one time in my life I had a PGA Tour Pass. The access to nicer bathrooms was nice. If there are places to hang out in the village, that might not mean much.  

2013-05-23 7:17 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by cdban66 I've been reading some of the Strava stuff that was in here awhile back and I finally pulled the app down and started playing with it a bit. I have never been a gadget fan while training, but this may start to push me over the edge. If you get a follower request from Chris Banting, well, you've been warned

Welcome to the addiction...    

2013-05-23 7:27 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by ChrisM Posted this in TT but I know some of you don't go there... IM Canada has VIP passes for $XXX. Benefits are: •VIP Goody Bag •VIP/Sponsor Party (Friday August 23rd)- Hosted at Whistler Sliding Center, Home of the 2010 Winter Olympic and Paralympic Bobsled, Luge, Skeleton Track •Access to VIP area at Welcome Ceremony •Access to VIP Viewing Area at Swim Start in Rainbow Park •Exclusive Shuttle Service to/from Swim Start in Rainbow Park •VIP food/beverage area at Swim Start and Finish Area- available race day August 25th •Premium Viewing at Finish Line This would be for my wife. Don't care much about the goody bag, or the pre-party. More for her comfort on a veeerrrryyyy long day. She spectated at IMAZ and was almost as tired as I was. The venue is Whistler, and it is a point to point. So there may be an upside with the viewing and shuttling, but maybe a downside as there's probably tons of places to hang out in the village. Anyone ever bought one of these for their SO, and have any thoughts? Took the cost out as it's not a concern, she's put up with so much with my training that it's a drop in the proverbial bucket (not to mention all the other costs we incur).

How far is everything from where you are staying?  Far enough that it wouldn't be convenient to go back and forth to watch you?  That's what my wife did for IMMT but everything is pretty close there - the swim start was about 1km away but everything else was within a few hundred meters really.  If it would be difficult to do then it sounds like a good idea.  I guess it also depends on how much she would have to stick to their schedule.  If they are going to only run a shuttle at one time and that doesn't jive with you, it might not make much sense but if it gives lots of flexibility, it could be perfect.

2013-05-23 7:41 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I had a heck of a day today.  

Went to a funeral this morning for a co-worker and a good friend that was killed in an accident on Monday, then had a tough I-pace run this afternoon then a good hard group ride tonight.  First group ride I've done in a couple of years.

Got home and my wife had ice cream, waffle cones and a bottle of wine!

All in all, a pretty rough start to the day but is ending on a better note.

2013-05-23 7:55 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Went to a funeral this morning for a co-worker and a good friend that was killed in an accident on Monday, then had a tough I-pace run this afternoon then a good hard group ride tonight.  First group ride I've done in a couple of years.

My condolences. Glad it got better.

2013-05-23 9:03 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Payson, AZ
Chris, Bryan has always got Jamie VIP paces for IMAZ.  maybe check with him (course in his case I think they were free.  lol )
2013-05-24 11:41 AM
in reply to: bzgl40

User image

I did check with Bryan, he thought they were worth it

Finish line is about .7 miles from the hotel, so walkable, but not sure she's gonna want to walk back and forth, and it's across the bike/run course, so no idea how accessible, etc. Also just assumimng there's places in the village to hang, but never been there so don't really know what that would be like.

Thanks for the input
2013-05-24 12:29 PM

User image

How far is everything from where you are staying?  Far enough that it wouldn't be convenient to go back and forth to watch you?  That's what my wife did for IMMT but everything is pretty close there - the swim start was about 1km away but everything else was within a few hundred meters really.  If it would be difficult to do then it sounds like a good idea.  I guess it also depends on how much she would have to stick to their schedule.  If they are going to only run a shuttle at one time and that doesn't jive with you, it might not make much sense but if it gives lots of flexibility, it could be perfect.

This was my thought. If I was spectating, my goal would be to find a strip mall type area about half a mile from the finish line and camp out there. The goal being having somewhere to go grab food, use a clean bathroom, and maybe sit down in some air condition in between the hours of spectating. Of course a hotel room nearby would be even better. In absence of that available, I would think a VIP area would be extremely helpful to keep someone spectating comfortable.
2013-05-24 12:40 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
If I am not mistaken the finish line is in Blackcomb village ?

If so, there is a ton to do there. Shops, restaurants.....

It's really really nice !

Edited by marcag 2013-05-24 12:42 PM

2013-05-24 12:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Man, that's a rough one.  Sorry to hear about your friend - that's always tough...

Glad you were able to have an ice cream and some wine with the better half - helps to put it ALL in perspective.

Matt

2013-05-24 1:30 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Originally posted by marcag

Yes, in the Village.
2013-05-24 1:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ChrisM

Yes, in the Village.

I would hide her credit card. If you are out there too long it could get expensive :-)
2013-05-24 2:17 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Originally posted by ChrisM

Yes, in the Village.

I would hide her credit card. If you are out there too long it could get expensive :-)

LOL, she's not like that, but I suppose I couldn't complain on that one day if she was

They've started posting tentative schedules, bike drop off options, shuttle details, etc. and I am starting to freak out.... just a little... yeah, what the hell did I get myself into????????
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 190