BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 190

2013-05-30 12:34 PM
in reply to: mndymond

User image

Payson, AZ
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia - OPEN

Originally posted by mndymond Driving up to the race expo to check in and stuff this afternoon. Staying overnight in the Mauna Lani resort where the race finish is tomorrow. I'm bib 1889.

Good luck.  Pat Jason on the butt as you go past him.  lol

2013-05-30 12:40 PM
in reply to: bzgl40

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Jason and Melissa -- hope you both have great races!  I'll be internet stalking you all day long....and can't wait to read the RR's after!

2013-05-30 1:39 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Good luck Jason and Melissa!
2013-05-30 2:27 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Elite
Ontario
Have a great race guys.

Come on 4:58!!!!
2013-05-30 3:20 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Interesting way to promote your sports medicine workshop....tack it on to Ironman weekend...lol

http://www.casm-acms.org/pg_EventList.php

Edited by mndymond 2013-05-30 3:21 PM
2013-05-30 4:32 PM
in reply to: mndymond

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

Good luck racers!

I am heading off for a 3 day camping trip and a small part in an Xterra relay on Sunday (the swim). I decided not to race the Oly as it is $170 for late entry (and I never really got around to training for it) so I shall take my road bike and ride out onto the course to cheer friends on.

I'll only be home for a few days then we are off to Scotland & England for 4 weeks. Yipeee!

2013-05-30 5:40 PM
in reply to: riorio

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Originally posted by riorio

Good luck racers!

I am heading off for a 3 day camping trip and a small part in an Xterra relay on Sunday (the swim). I decided not to race the Oly as it is $170 for late entry (and I never really got around to training for it) so I shall take my road bike and ride out onto the course to cheer friends on.

I'll only be home for a few days then we are off to Scotland & England for 4 weeks. Yipeee!

Wow!  Are you taking your bike so you can crush some international QOMs as well?  

2013-05-30 6:58 PM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Originally posted by axteraa
Originally posted by riorio

Good luck racers!

Wow!  Are you taking your bike so you can crush some international QOMs as well?  

Arend...alas, the Madone must stay home but I will be borrowing my uncle's old steel bike (with downshifter) like last time. I looked and saw lots of Strava segments around the small town where I grew up...but it might be kind of difficult on that bike! Strava is very useful in helping find routes to ride. The biggest challenge (in addition to the hills) will be the weather! At least I know that riding the Madone will feel great when I return!

2013-05-30 8:53 PM
in reply to: tri808

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Heck, I am doing worse than Jason keeping up,and while I too officially blame it on the BT upgrade and its lack of smartphone friendliness, it is really that I have been on the road a good bit. I really hate not at least being able to follow along he goings-on of the group via email....Ryan, I would love to be able to run a sub-40 10k, but these days it seems like I am running everything at a 6:45 pace: 5k, 10k, 15k, you name it - I just have no top gear anymore. I would like to think it is all the stupid IM training, but I am beginning to worry that it might actually just be age. At any rate I expect you to share a significant portion of your winnings with me for sharing the secret to success.

I found Marc's question about flat riding to be interesting, as that is the kind of riding that I have historically been very good at, but terrible on a rolling course. A huge part of it is mental of course, but from a physiological standpoint if rom what I can tell it also stemmed from having a relatively well developed aerobic engine but at the same time being somewhat under-powered (that is the way I am spec'd out anyway). Typically folks that are better on the rolling stuff than the incessant flats have a power profile that is out of whack (comparatively) with their aerobic fitness. The good thing is that while these things are each natural strengths that are somewhat opposed to each other, each one can be trained. That is why I have been spending so much time in the mountains the last few years - because I suck at climbing so much. I have learned to apply my natural strengths to climbing and love long sustained ascents, but the short, sharp, surgy attacks can still destroy me. I have gotten much better at riding a fairly good Vi both up and down, and that has paid off in spades over long hauls.

Jason and Melissa - very excited to follow you both along on Saturday. We are riding around Lake Tahoe (and then some) on Sunday so I will be laying low just a bit on Saturday and I expect you two to keep me wildly entertained. Please don't let me down.. We came out with some friends to ride just for the fun of it and I really didn't pay too much attention to what we were actually doing, but I thought it would be a climbier ride than it actually seems to be. I finally took a little time today to look at the course profile, and it looks like it only has about 4000 feet of climbing over 100 or so miles. That pretty much qualifies as flat around the parts we normally ride, but seeing as the base elevation is about 3000 feet above the tops of our biggest climbs I am betting it might be a little more difficult for us low-landers than it initially appears. From the looks of it there are two little cat 4 climbs and a bunch of little 5s, but it mostly hugs the lake shore. Should be spectacular. And with the temps pushing the mid-90s at home this week I am loving 35 degree mornings and 65 degree days. Although I am sure my skin will probably start cracking off by tomorrow since there is absolutely no humidity to speak of.

2013-05-30 11:06 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Champion
Checked in at the expo!!!! Wooooooo. Bought a sweet bike kit and an iron towel. Lol. Spreading out my purchases...waiting for the bank of mom to be in France for the special stuff at IM. Haha.
2013-05-31 7:19 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Payson, AZ
Ah yes Rusty, the no humidity is fun eh?  Sounds like a nice area to ride in though

2013-05-31 8:34 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by ChrisM

Originally posted by mndymond Driving up to the race expo to check in and stuff this afternoon. Staying overnight in the Mauna Lani resort where the race finish is tomorrow. I'm bib 1889.

Good luck Melissa and Jason!

x2!!

Can't wait for the RR.  

I think you both beat the heck out of me for venue this weekend, unless you want to switch with me and run the Holliston Lions' Triathlon and I'll head out West?!?!  Laughing

Hope you both CRUSH the course!

Matt

2013-05-31 10:59 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Good luck Melissa and Jason!

x2!!

Can't wait for the RR.  

I think you both beat the heck out of me for venue this weekend, unless you want to switch with me and run the Holliston Lions' Triathlon and I'll head out West?!?!  Laughing

Hope you both CRUSH the course!

Matt

x3

Best of luck. Have fun !
2013-05-31 12:20 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

5' FTP test this a.m.    Ugh.  It's just five minutes, how hard could it be?

Numbers are what they are, but I would have thought that I improved my FTP in the last 6 months more than the measly 3w coach gave me.......

2013-05-31 5:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Numbers are what they are, but I would have thought that I improved my FTP in the last 6 months more than the measly 3w coach gave me.......

The problem with the 5'/20' model is that if test execution is off on one of the tests, the numbers can get skewed quite a bit

How much did your 5' test improve and how much did your 20' improve ?
2013-05-31 5:53 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I love test week!

Are you using the CT for your tests now or the PT?

2013-05-31 5:59 PM

User image

Originally posted by marcag

The problem with the 5'/20' model is that if test execution is off on one of the tests, the numbers can get skewed quite a bit How much did your 5' test improve and how much did your 20' improve ?

I know at the end of the day it's just a reference number, and a highly variable and uncertain one at that.  But we're still data geeks after all, no??   

20' went up 15, 5' went up 8.

I had a yoga instructor once say "don't rush to perfect a pose, because I am just going to give you a more difficult one."    I don't want it over estimated (as I know the 20' test can do) and then not be accurate for long course races.

ETA - when i put the numbers and my wieght into Jorge's online calculator it gives me a number about 14w higher than what Shane did.  But with the weight loss I am closer to 3.5 w/kg (altho probably overestimated). I know there was a discussion about getting to 4.0.  I cannot even fathom that number

Edited by ChrisM 2013-05-31 6:04 PM
2013-05-31 6:02 PM

User image

I love test week!

Still the CT, although I am using it in 3D mode, which works like the PT (i.e., the watts show what you are pedalling, rather than setting the watts ahead of time).  I found a way to mount the PT on the bars tho, and one day I am going to run them side by side.  I may also start doing more intervals in 3D mode prepping for IM

2013-05-31 6:08 PM

User image

In other news, have a 5 hour ride tomorrow, first real long ride in prep for IM C.  Then 1:45 run and 1:15 swim Sunday....   Gonna be tired.

Tomorrow I am also going to Ero Sports for a new bike fit tomorrow.  Guy that just had Leanda Cave in for a fit last week, Julie Dibens before that and a bunch of other pros.  Position is pretty comfortable now, some toe numbness after long rides.  Interesting to see what he suggests.

2013-05-31 6:25 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

That should definitely estimate an FTP increase of more than 3w.  From what I remember, the flatter the slope (meaning a bigger increase in 20' vs 5') then the more the FTP estimate goes up.  

Based on what you posted in your log, Golden Cheetah says your FTP is 294w.

2013-05-31 6:38 PM

User image

Payson, AZ

I love test week!

Really?  Your a strange pup indeed

2013-05-31 6:53 PM
in reply to: bzgl40

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Originally posted by bzgl40

I love test week!

Really?  Your a strange pup indeed

I was trying to talk myself into it.

2013-05-31 10:37 PM

Master
Northern IL

That should definitely estimate an FTP increase of more than 3w.  From what I remember, the flatter the slope (meaning a bigger increase in 20' vs 5') then the more the FTP estimate goes up.  

Based on what you posted in your log, Golden Cheetah says your FTP is 294w.

Yeah, I would have thought it'd be more too. Any typos in the info to/from the coach?

2013-06-01 7:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I know at the end of the day it's just a reference number, and a highly variable and uncertain one at that.  But we're still data geeks after all, no??   

I had a yoga instructor once say "don't rush to perfect a pose, because I am just going to give you a more difficult one."    I don't want it over estimated (as I know the 20' test can do) and then not be accurate for long course races.

ETA - when i put the numbers and my wieght into Jorge's online calculator it gives me a number about 14w higher than what Shane did.  But with the weight loss I am closer to 3.5 w/kg (altho probably overestimated). I know there was a discussion about getting to 4.0.  I cannot even fathom that number

Did you ask him why ?

There are a couple of ways of looking at this. You can use the CP calculator value to measure your progress which BTW is pretty exceptional. 20w at those levels is a lot

But maybe your coach sees something in your powerfiles that he wants to set your training levels differently.
This is probably not the case for you, but say a coach is seeing that you are falling off at the end of your intervals, he may set your zones a little lower. If he doesn't believe you can do a HIM at 80% of FTP, he may set them lower.

I would ask him,

I think setting zones and race paces is more an interpretation of testing/training data than use of a fixed formula.

Edited by marcag 2013-06-01 7:40 AM
2013-06-01 8:30 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Went to the pre race meeting yesterday and our local weather man is the emcee again. We have been having perfect calm winds the past few days but he tells us the NWS forecast is for 10-15 gusting to 30 in the morning picking up to 15-30 gsting to 45 in the late morning.

Well I'm always an early riser on race morning and I can tell you that forecast is legit. 330 am and I'd say it closer to 15-20 gusting to 35 where I am standing. But its possible the wind is funneling around the hotel. Honu just wouldn't be the same without the wind. Bring it on.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 190