2013-06-02 7:43 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia - OPEN
Originally posted by cdban66
Originally posted by KansasMom

Originally posted by kcarroll Congrats Melissa and Jason! From all reports it was a really tough day out there. Great job and kudos to you both. Look forward to hearing all the gory, bad-azz details when you've recovered enough to share.

I agree. You all trained and prepared well. We can't control the conditions. We can only do the best we can with what we get, and you both hung in there and fought back under miserable conditions. Great job!

Wow, that one looked tough, great job to both of you on a brutal day.

Craig Alexander tweeted that it was the worst wind he had ever raced in.  The heat did not sound fun either.  Congrats to both of you on getting to the finish of a tough day.

2013-06-02 8:27 PM
in reply to: bzgl40

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Originally posted by bzgl40

They are both in.  Good job guys.

Sally picked a good weekend to head to the mountains.  Its 109 in Phoenix today.  Getting some of that heat up here in Payson but we are typically 20F cooler.

Yes I did! It was perfect up north!

Congrats racers!!! Looking forward to the RR on BT :-)

We had an awesome weekend of camping, fishing and hanging with good friends. I rode out on the bike course on Saturday to cheer folks. Ironically I flatted at exactly the same spot that I flatted during that race 2 years ago! Didn't bother me so much this time, LOL.

We did the Xterra relay today...came in 1st place by over 20 mins. I was the swimmer (you have no idea how strange that is) and had to start in the male swim wave...I got pretty beat up, men definitely hit harder! I came out the water in top 10 though and hubby held onto that on the bike, and our runner was a rockstar! Such a fun weekend.

And Kim, it was so painful to watch the car thermometer keep going up on the way back to Phx. At least I head for Scotland on Thursday...guaranteed cold weather!  

2013-06-03 12:24 AM
in reply to: riorio

User image

RR is up.

It's long, and it may sound whiney...but it was a tough day. Overall though, I had a great time racing with friends and spending quality time with them. From the expo, dinners, race, and post race get together...I had a lot of fun. Everyone in our group finished from the guy who has KQ'd, to the first timer at the HIM, to the guys who decided to do this race after not doing tris for over 5 years.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
2013-06-03 7:26 AM
in reply to: tri808

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

Originally posted by tri808 RR is up. It's long, and it may sound whiney...but it was a tough day. Overall though, I had a great time racing with friends and spending quality time with them. From the expo, dinners, race, and post race get together...I had a lot of fun. Everyone in our group finished from the guy who has KQ'd, to the first timer at the HIM, to the guys who decided to do this race after not doing tris for over 5 years. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Not whiney at all...a great read Jason and thanks for sharing your experiences. I still say congrats on a very impressive finish! 

2013-06-03 7:31 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by tri808

RR is up.

It's long, and it may sound whiney...but it was a tough day. Overall though, I had a great time racing with friends and spending quality time with them. From the expo, dinners, race, and post race get together...I had a lot of fun. Everyone in our group finished from the guy who has KQ'd, to the first timer at the HIM, to the guys who decided to do this race after not doing tris for over 5 years.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Great RR and way to persevere through tough conditions. It does not sounds "whiney" at all, it's excellent

Rusty told you the Quarq calibration trick.

Can you share your final NP ?

May I add I feel you are a gutsy racer the way you openly share, predict.....
You lay it all out and execute. Sometimes succeeding, sometimes learning the hard way
I think a lot of people are learning from you. Kudos

Edited by marcag 2013-06-03 7:42 AM
2013-06-03 10:35 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by tri808 RR is up. It's long, and it may sound whiney...but it was a tough day. Overall though, I had a great time racing with friends and spending quality time with them. From the expo, dinners, race, and post race get together...I had a lot of fun. Everyone in our group finished from the guy who has KQ'd, to the first timer at the HIM, to the guys who decided to do this race after not doing tris for over 5 years. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

I saw it as you bringing in the feeling of what it was like being out there. It's darn frustrating dealing with conditions like that and that's how it came across. It's an important part of the race (especially that one) that should help a lot of others in knowing it happens and to be prepared in dealing with it. Nice job sticking with it!

2013-06-03 11:41 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Thanks guys. I truely hope others can learn from this. Being almost 48 hours detatched from it, I'm actually pretty happy with the entire experience. I got down to goal weight, my swim improved relative to the field by almost 10% and my overall finishing placing was pretty similar to last year despite going into survival mode.

Next race is the 40k TT this coming Sunday. A race much more suited to my strengths.
2013-06-03 12:13 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by tri808 Thanks guys. I truely hope others can learn from this. Being almost 48 hours detatched from it, I'm actually pretty happy with the entire experience. I got down to goal weight, my swim improved relative to the field by almost 10% and my overall finishing placing was pretty similar to last year despite going into survival mode. Next race is the 40k TT this coming Sunday. A race much more suited to my strengths.

So this was all a subtle way of showing how worthless swimming is? Wink

2013-06-03 12:15 PM

User image

Champion
I leave back to Edmonton tonight I'm "home" for less than a week because I have to move my stuff to Prince George with my dad on Sun-Mon and we leave for France on Tues! 3day grad extravaganza starts on Thursday....I'm going to have to get up super early to get some of the final training sessions coach Mike has before true taper taper starts for France.

Anyone swam in Paris before? I'm currently trying to figure out where to swim and spin...

Thanks for all the RR comments guys. Like Jason I feel much better about things 2 days out than I did right after.
2013-06-03 12:17 PM

User image

Jason and Melissa - Great reports, I love hearing about tough days.....

Thought I'd post a quick pic from the result of my RETUL fit.  The top pic is my original fit.  I have to say, I looked at that and said "that's not right."  But none of my buddies ever said anything....  I had ridden 5 hours that morning, and the fitter said "you deserve a medal for that."  He was actually very excited because he was going to get to make some real significant changes.

Bottom pic is on the RETUL bike, which my bike was adjusted to match.  Have not ridden it other than on the trainer and a few minutes outside, but he made substantial changes.  Saddle up 2 cm, cockpit down 2 cm, out 4 cm....   It's a very interesting process, basically like going to the eye doctor.  He starts out in a generic position, then makes a series of small changes, and asks how each feels.  he doesn't tell you, but he'll get to a point where he would never set the bike, and let me figure out the fit was not right.  It was not that hard to tell when something was off, or when the movement had gone too far.  He also has a powermeter and can read the power for each setting, to see if and where it goes up and down. 

Very interesting process.  This guy currently fits many of the pro tour teams for their TT, and has fit Rinny, Cave, Dibens,etc.  Crowie is coming in 2 weeks.  He is the sh&t

Hopefully the pic posts...

Edited by ChrisM 2013-06-03 12:38 PM

(FIT.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
FIT.jpg (79KB - 31 downloads)
2013-06-03 12:40 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Originally posted by ChrisM

Very interesting process.  This guy currently fits many of the pro tour teams for their TT, and has fit Rinny, Cave, Dibens,etc.  Crowie is coming in 2 weeks.  He is the sh&t

Hopefully the pic posts...

Mat Steinmetz????

The second pic does look a lot more comfortable!  So your seat was too low?  I didn't think that was possible...  

2013-06-03 12:41 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by tri808 Thanks guys. I truely hope others can learn from this. Being almost 48 hours detatched from it, I'm actually pretty happy with the entire experience. I got down to goal weight, my swim improved relative to the field by almost 10% and my overall finishing placing was pretty similar to last year despite going into survival mode. Next race is the 40k TT this coming Sunday. A race much more suited to my strengths.

The pain....    it stabs deep into my heart....   

2013-06-03 12:42 PM

User image

Jim Manton at Ero Sports.

Speaking of Mat, Jim has a lot of interesting stories about the pros.  Including that of Mat yelling at Dibens not to start the run at Kona 2012, which she did anyway.  Plan was for her to crush the bike course record and then not start the run, but she was :20 ahead, so she went for it, and we know how that turned out. 

Her foot healed, but she overcompensated and had to have knee surgery, which apparently did not go well.  He's not sure she can come back.  Good lesson in sticking to your plan

Edited by ChrisM 2013-06-03 1:11 PM
2013-06-03 2:03 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by brigby1

The pain....    it stabs deep into my heart....   

What stabs deep into the heart is that 6 minute lead you will have coming out of the water at Tremblant
2013-06-03 2:12 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Chris...your hip angle looks a lot better in the second picture.

I brought my running and swimming gear with me today but we'll see what I actually get done this afternoon. I may just spin on the exercise bike and show up to Masters...but swim in a slower lane.
2013-06-03 3:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Thanks guys. I truely hope others can learn from this. Being almost 48 hours detatched from it, I'm actually pretty happy with the entire experience. I got down to goal weight, my swim improved relative to the field by almost 10% and my overall finishing placing was pretty similar to last year despite going into survival mode.

Next race is the 40k TT this coming Sunday. A race much more suited to my strengths.

Will you do it again next year ?
If so, what will you do differently in your preparation ?

2013-06-03 3:59 PM

User image

Originally posted by marcag

Will you do it again next year ?
If so, what will you do differently in your preparation ?

I don't know if I'll do it in 2014, but definately again.

My training won't be much different. Of course I'll focus on my weakness in swimming and try to improve my run as well, but I feel that I was well prepared. Race execution and my mindset is definately what I want to dial in. Knowing when to back off on the bike and racing within myself. Treating it like one race instead of 3 separate timed races that add up to one.

2013-06-03 6:51 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Will you do it again next year ? If so, what will you do differently in your preparation ?
I don't know if I'll do it in 2014, but definately again. My training won't be much different. Of course I'll focus on my weakness in swimming and try to improve my run as well, but I feel that I was well prepared. Race execution and my mindset is definately what I want to dial in. Knowing when to back off on the bike and racing within myself. Treating it like one race instead of 3 separate timed races that add up to one.

That one sentence says a whole lot. Thanks.

2013-06-03 8:50 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Payson, AZ

Originally posted by GoFaster When Bree Wee runs a 1:48, you know it was tough!! Crowie only ran a 1:23. Great job Jason, on what was surely a hard day out there.

turns out Bree Wee ran 15 miles.  She allowed herself to be misdirected and had to retrace her steps 

2013-06-03 10:28 PM

Master
Northern IL
Kim, awhile back you asked how much power might fluctuate for some of us. This is from a recent workout on the trainer to Sufferfest's The Long Scream, the flat effort half hour time trial one. This is how much mine can bounce still bounce around with several things going for it towards keeping it flat. I did pick it up the last few minutes because, well, that just happens when the last song comes on. Otherwise I was only trying to do a few watts more the second half of this vs the first. Cancellara's section vs Martin's. The spike at ~1:10 is probably from standing up.

(2013-06-03_2218.png)

Attachments
----------------
2013-06-03_2218.png (66KB - 35 downloads)
2013-06-04 6:29 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Payson, AZ

Originally posted by brigby1 Kim, awhile back you asked how much power might fluctuate for some of us. This is from a recent workout on the trainer to Sufferfest's The Long Scream, the flat effort half hour time trial one. This is how much mine can bounce still bounce around with several things going for it towards keeping it flat. I did pick it up the last few minutes because, well, that just happens when the last song comes on. Otherwise I was only trying to do a few watts more the second half of this vs the first. Cancellara's section vs Martin's. The spike at ~1:10 is probably from standing up.

Thanks, that makes me feel better about mine wavy line. 

2013-06-04 7:31 AM

User image

Champion
So cool story...

Crowie was on my plane back to the mainland. I couldn't muster the courage to ask him to sign my Honu poster...and then when I finally did he was getting his 3 kids ready to board...and that felt inappropriate. Lol. People were congratulating him (I'd say 80% of the plane had done the race...so many bikes loaded on) and he's a super humble, chill guy.

Next time...next time....don't be a chicken. That's twice now...once with Andy Potts and now once with Crowie...
2013-06-04 11:04 AM
in reply to: mndymond

User image

Pro
NJ

Originally posted by mndymond So cool story... Crowie was on my plane back to the mainland. I couldn't muster the courage to ask him to sign my Honu poster...and then when I finally did he was getting his 3 kids ready to board...and that felt inappropriate. Lol. People were congratulating him (I'd say 80% of the plane had done the race...so many bikes loaded on) and he's a super humble, chill guy. Next time...next time....don't be a chicken. That's twice now...once with Andy Potts and now once with Crowie...

Courage mon ami. Repetez apres moi:  vous s'il vous plait signe ma cuisse?

That's about all I got with my US pigeon french. I'm sure some of your Canadian brethren can offer better assistance before you head to France. 

2013-06-04 11:40 AM
in reply to: kcarroll

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by kcarroll

That's about all I got with my US pigeon french. I'm sure some of your Canadian brethren can offer better assistance before you head to France. 

I am sure the frenchies would love to sign your cuisse.
2013-06-05 7:45 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by kcarroll

I am sure the frenchies would love to sign your cuisse.

*blushing*

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 190