BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 190

2013-06-05 1:44 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Subject: RE: SBR Utopia - OPEN
Legs still feel a bit sore but I was able to get in a ez/moderate ride yesterday and a really short run this morning. Will probably do another short run after work before going to masters class. Just trying to get back into the swing of things.

2013-06-05 3:54 PM
in reply to: tri808

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by tri808 Legs still feel a bit sore but I was able to get in a ez/moderate ride yesterday and a really short run this morning. Will probably do another short run after work before going to masters class. Just trying to get back into the swing of things.

Way to get right back on the horse Jason - Masters will be good. As much as I despise it I have found that lots of kicking sets actually do my post-race legs a lot of good.

2013-06-05 5:47 PM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

Hey guys...I am heading off to Scotland tomorrow. I rode the past few days, just spending some good quality time with my Madone before I leave her behind for 4 weeks. I have an old steel frame bike with down shifters waiting for me in Scotland. I looked at Strava to get some ideas for rides around my home town (I was a kid when I lived there) and it seems that most rides average 4-5% grade. All the popular Strava segments are 7-8% grade. Looks like I will be able to get a good workout in a short amount of time. I think the weather will be limiting factor but I plan on getting out as much as I can plus mixing in a good dose of hiking, running, swimming and touristy stuff, as well as a lot of relaxation. 

Not sure how much internet access we will have, but I will stop by when I can. Hope everyone continues to tear it up at races and in training!

2013-06-05 6:26 PM
in reply to: riorio

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Originally posted by riorio

Hey guys...I am heading off to Scotland tomorrow. I rode the past few days, just spending some good quality time with my Madone before I leave her behind for 4 weeks. I have an old steel frame bike with down shifters waiting for me in Scotland. I looked at Strava to get some ideas for rides around my home town (I was a kid when I lived there) and it seems that most rides average 4-5% grade. All the popular Strava segments are 7-8% grade. Looks like I will be able to get a good workout in a short amount of time. I think the weather will be limiting factor but I plan on getting out as much as I can plus mixing in a good dose of hiking, running, swimming and touristy stuff, as well as a lot of relaxation. 

Not sure how much internet access we will have, but I will stop by when I can. Hope everyone continues to tear it up at races and in training!

Have a great trip!!

2013-06-05 6:28 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Originally posted by TankBoy

Originally posted by tri808 Legs still feel a bit sore but I was able to get in a ez/moderate ride yesterday and a really short run this morning. Will probably do another short run after work before going to masters class. Just trying to get back into the swing of things.

Way to get right back on the horse Jason - Masters will be good. As much as I despise it I have found that lots of kicking sets actually do my post-race legs a lot of good.

Agree on the getting back on the horse bit.  Not so much on the kick set thing - that sounds like torture!  

2013-06-05 6:32 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Bit of a whirlwind couple of days for me.  Flew to Montreal Monday night, early morning run and then meetings/presentations all day followed by another run, late supper and then flew home this morning.  I was then on my bike for a 2 hour ride within an hour of landing.  

Sleep will be good tonight I think!

2013-06-05 6:57 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Master
Central Kansas
Originally posted by ChrisM

Jason and Melissa - Great reports, I love hearing about tough days.....

Thought I'd post a quick pic from the result of my RETUL fit.  The top pic is my original fit.  I have to say, I looked at that and said "that's not right."  But none of my buddies ever said anything....  I had ridden 5 hours that morning, and the fitter said "you deserve a medal for that."  He was actually very excited because he was going to get to make some real significant changes.

Bottom pic is on the RETUL bike, which my bike was adjusted to match.  Have not ridden it other than on the trainer and a few minutes outside, but he made substantial changes.  Saddle up 2 cm, cockpit down 2 cm, out 4 cm....   It's a very interesting process, basically like going to the eye doctor.  He starts out in a generic position, then makes a series of small changes, and asks how each feels.  he doesn't tell you, but he'll get to a point where he would never set the bike, and let me figure out the fit was not right.  It was not that hard to tell when something was off, or when the movement had gone too far.  He also has a powermeter and can read the power for each setting, to see if and where it goes up and down. 

Very interesting process.  This guy currently fits many of the pro tour teams for their TT, and has fit Rinny, Cave, Dibens,etc.  Crowie is coming in 2 weeks.  He is the sh&t

Hopefully the pic posts...

Have you taken it out on the road for a longish ride yet? How did it feel? I'm thinking of having a RETUL fit when we go to Austin in a couple weeks.

2013-06-05 7:24 PM

User image

Originally posted by axteraa

Agree on the getting back on the horse bit.  Not so much on the kick set thing - that sounds like torture!  

Yeah...I'm on a complete mental break right now and if feels good. I'm just trying to get the legs loose again for the TT on Sunday...then I'm going to figure out what I'm doing for the rest of the year.
2013-06-05 9:23 PM

Master
Northern IL
Nice ride on the trainer tonight. 1:40 of it was up in sweet spot. Have to be so patient with it. Have to be patient and not go too hard right away, letting the burn come later. And then also patient in maintaining it later in the sets as I want to just push harder to get it over with!
2013-06-06 12:24 AM
in reply to: KansasMom

User image

O

Have you taken it out on the road for a longish ride yet? How did it feel? I'm thinking of having a RETUL fit when we go to Austin in a couple weeks.

Not until Saturday, but rode 1:20 on the trainer today.  Usually in this type of workout it's too hard to stay in aero for the intervals I've been doing.  Today the intervals were a good 20w higher, and I was very comfortable doing them in aero.   Happy so far.

2013-06-06 7:23 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
O

Not until Saturday, but rode 1:20 on the trainer today.  Usually in this type of workout it's too hard to stay in aero for the intervals I've been doing.  Today the intervals were a good 20w higher, and I was very comfortable doing them in aero.   Happy so far.

Dang, I need to get that kind of fit....

2013-06-06 7:28 AM
in reply to: riorio

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by riorio

Have fun Sally - we will miss you. I hope you do find an Internet connection, if only so we can see the QOMs pile up - the Brits are not gonna know what hit them! Although in all fairness, the British friends I have are all fanatical about cycling as a sport and are all strong riders...

2013-06-06 7:41 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
O

Dang, I need to get that kind of fit....

I've already booked my flight.

2013-06-06 7:43 AM

User image

Champion
Graduation craziness starts today. I swam on Monday before I left but then Must have say on the plane funny (again) And my back was ANGRY yesterday. Today is a little bit better but still tight.
2013-06-06 7:46 AM

Master
Northern IL
Originally posted by axteraa

They feel like it while doing them, but amazingly enough it does seem help.

2013-06-06 8:38 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Elite
Ontario
Been MIA the past few days. Did my first Sprint race of the year on Sunday, and was disappointed to miss the podium by 24sec - missed by 14sec at the same race last year. I went faster this year, power was a little hgiher on the bike (though not the target watts), and the run was a hair faster, but I guess faster guys showed up in my AG. Really disappointed with the swim as it was slower than last year, but there was more chop this time around. It was less about the time and more about the AG placing. Last year 19/74, this year 14/48. After all the time in the pool, this one felt like a kick in the teeth. Get to race again in a week's time and we'll see how things go in that one.

2013-06-06 9:03 AM

User image

Master
Central Kansas
O

Great news!

2013-06-06 9:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Jason,

your TT race reports are REALLY helpful.

I have been struggling with pacing of TTs and FTP tests and your race reports show me that what I am seeing is not unique

If I interpret them properly, you did a 286w 30' TT in Feb and a 262w 60'TT in May ?

You seem to say that you even/negative splitting them was the key to good results this year. For example, you started off 350-286 last year and was at 253 at the end. This year you are very even and it's much better

I keep on blowing up on my tests because I go out WAY too hard. I am starting to see what you have already figured out.

The other thing that is very interesting is your power for 30' vs 60'. All these CP models, FTP estimates.....blablabla....show that I should be able to hold more than I actually can. You are one of the few people that actually does the 60' test and knows what your true FTP is.

Am I reading your reports wrong ?

What would you say your best 5min power would be ? I know these are such personal questions :-)

2013-06-06 9:17 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Payson, AZ

Originally posted by GoFaster Been MIA the past few days. Did my first Sprint race of the year on Sunday, and was disappointed to miss the podium by 24sec - missed by 14sec at the same race last year. I went faster this year, power was a little hgiher on the bike (though not the target watts), and the run was a hair faster, but I guess faster guys showed up in my AG. Really disappointed with the swim as it was slower than last year, but there was more chop this time around. It was less about the time and more about the AG placing. Last year 19/74, this year 14/48. After all the time in the pool, this one felt like a kick in the teeth. Get to race again in a week's time and we'll see how things go in that one.

Nice job.  Darn close to that podium.  The swim distance might have been slightly different as well.  Are you pool swims faster?  do you feel stronger? 

2013-06-06 10:23 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by GoFaster

Been MIA the past few days. Did my first Sprint race of the year on Sunday, and was disappointed to miss the podium by 24sec - missed by 14sec at the same race last year. I went faster this year, power was a little hgiher on the bike (though not the target watts), and the run was a hair faster, but I guess faster guys showed up in my AG. Really disappointed with the swim as it was slower than last year, but there was more chop this time around. It was less about the time and more about the AG placing. Last year 19/74, this year 14/48. After all the time in the pool, this one felt like a kick in the teeth. Get to race again in a week's time and we'll see how things go in that one.

Don't beat yourself up on the swim. Conditions vary too much, distance vary too much. Maybe had you pushed harder you would have run slower. Who knows.

A better bike/run split is the big thing to celebrate. congratulations !
2013-06-06 11:57 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Pro
NJ

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by GoFaster Been MIA the past few days. Did my first Sprint race of the year on Sunday, and was disappointed to miss the podium by 24sec - missed by 14sec at the same race last year. I went faster this year, power was a little hgiher on the bike (though not the target watts), and the run was a hair faster, but I guess faster guys showed up in my AG. Really disappointed with the swim as it was slower than last year, but there was more chop this time around. It was less about the time and more about the AG placing. Last year 19/74, this year 14/48. After all the time in the pool, this one felt like a kick in the teeth. Get to race again in a week's time and we'll see how things go in that one.
Don't beat yourself up on the swim. Conditions vary too much, distance vary too much. Maybe had you pushed harder you would have run slower. Who knows. A better bike/run split is the big thing to celebrate. congratulations !

X2 Nice job! 

2013-06-06 12:08 PM
in reply to: kcarroll

User image

Pro
NJ
Question for the group on bike maintenance. One of my goals next winter will be to take a maintenance class at the LBS. I have no illusions that I will be doing a great deal of my own work, but I've always felt like I should be self-sufficient on the basics. I can change out wheels/tires/tubes etc. I also had a linker put on my chain so I can clean things up better on my own. I have no idea how to adjust derailleur or much else. The question is...how often should I clean my bike and what should this entail other than wiping it down after I ride (which I do...most of the time, always if it's raining)? I know this is dependent on how much you ride and under what conditions but would appreciate any thoughts or insight as to what you do for basic upkeep. 
2013-06-06 12:42 PM

User image

Payson, AZ

Originally posted by kcarroll Question for the group on bike maintenance. One of my goals next winter will be to take a maintenance class at the LBS. I have no illusions that I will be doing a great deal of my own work, but I've always felt like I should be self-sufficient on the basics. I can change out wheels/tires/tubes etc. I also had a linker put on my chain so I can clean things up better on my own. I have no idea how to adjust derailleur or much else. The question is...how often should I clean my bike and what should this entail other than wiping it down after I ride (which I do...most of the time, always if it's raining)? I know this is dependent on how much you ride and under what conditions but would appreciate any thoughts or insight as to what you do for basic upkeep. 

I find if I don't ride it I can go a really long time without cleaning it.  Honestly, even when I rode a lot I didn't clean it that often, but it doesn't get that dirty in the desert.  I grease the chain about once a week and wipe it down before riding it (as in grease after a ride, before your next ride wipe it down, after the grease has settled into the links).  Other then that I just wipe it down as I see it needs it, and since my bike is white I really do see it...

2013-06-06 12:57 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Originally posted by marcag

Jason,

your TT race reports are REALLY helpful.

I have been struggling with pacing of TTs and FTP tests and your race reports show me that what I am seeing is not unique

If I interpret them properly, you did a 286w 30' TT in Feb and a 262w 60'TT in May ?

You seem to say that you even/negative splitting them was the key to good results this year. For example, you started off 350-286 last year and was at 253 at the end. This year you are very even and it's much better

I keep on blowing up on my tests because I go out WAY too hard. I am starting to see what you have already figured out.

The other thing that is very interesting is your power for 30' vs 60'. All these CP models, FTP estimates.....blablabla....show that I should be able to hold more than I actually can. You are one of the few people that actually does the 60' test and knows what your true FTP is.

Am I reading your reports wrong ?

What would you say your best 5min power would be ? I know these are such personal questions :-)

Thanks Marc,

This Sunday I hope to get an even better measure of my FTP. Hopefully I'll be fully recovered from Honu by then, but maybe not. The last 40k TT I did I paced it very conservatively knowing I had not tapered at all for it and ran 14 miles the day before. Honu was still the priority at that point.

While I held 262 last month, I have a feeling I could have gone about 5 watts higher fully rested. But my goal is not going to be to start out at 267-270 and just hold it there. I have a huge problem of jumping out of the gates too hard and then get ideas of grandeur that I can hold my wattage higher than originally thought. You know how it goes...you jump out at 340+ watts then slowly let it slip down to 280...then think maybe you can hold 280 because you're feeling good early on even though you know it's above your goal.

So my strategy is after the initial acceleration, to take the next 3-4 minutes below overall goal wattage so that my AP is below goal wattage by a couple of watts. Then work it up from there slowly. I think mentally it's a better way to approach it for me.

My 5 minute peak on my tri bike this season is somewhere around 330 if I recall correctly...but that was at the end of a 5x5 set. If I went out and purposely tried to set a new 5' personal best on the tri bike, I think it would be closer to 335-340. Last year my peak 5' on the road bike was aroudn 366...but that was after an entire summer of riding a lot.
2013-06-06 1:46 PM

User image

Originally posted by kcarroll Question for the group on bike maintenance. One of my goals next winter will be to take a maintenance class at the LBS. I have no illusions that I will be doing a great deal of my own work, but I've always felt like I should be self-sufficient on the basics. I can change out wheels/tires/tubes etc. I also had a linker put on my chain so I can clean things up better on my own. I have no idea how to adjust derailleur or much else. The question is...how often should I clean my bike and what should this entail other than wiping it down after I ride (which I do...most of the time, always if it's raining)? I know this is dependent on how much you ride and under what conditions but would appreciate any thoughts or insight as to what you do for basic upkeep. 

Hmmm, I grease the chain now and then, wipe it down when it gets dirty....  Wish I had better wrenchnig skills (which is just a matter of learning them), but even Der. adjustments I have to take it in as I always seem to make it worse....

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 190