General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Full Vineman Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2013-06-17 10:02 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
Subject: RE: Full Vineman Triathlon : Official Thread
Made it through my 14 mile run on Saturday. It wasn't too bad until the last few miles. Then my knee was hurting something awful. I know it is all related to my tight hip/hamstring. I think I better make an appointment to get back in to see my massage therapist and get this worked out because it was hurting still yesterday and today. I skipped my 5 hour bike ride yesterday. I cannot afford to skip those long workouts. Two more gruelling weeks of build and then time to start tapering! The nice thing is the biggest week of training is next week and I am off work for the summer starting next week. That will make it easier to hit all my workouts and rest.

I agree we need to do a pre race meet up! I am staying at Best Western in Santa Rosa. I leave S. California on Friday morning so I should be there Friday around 3pm. I am hoping that all the non-smoking rooms aren't taken by then.

Ann-Marie

2013-06-17 11:49 AM
in reply to: akrenik

User image

Expert
Littleton, Colorado

It was a taper weekend for me, as I'm supposed to be doing an Oly this weekend.  I spent 2:30 in the pool on Saturday, split evenly between aquajogging & swimming, and then a 3 hour aerobic ride yesterday.  My hip has been giving me trouble for a few weeks now, and its been 2 weeks since I was able to run.  I'm giving dry needling a try this afternoon--getting a little desperate!  Depending on how this treatment and my chiro/pt goes this week, I may be doing an aquabike this weekend.

We will be staying in Guerneville, at a house that is walking distance and across the pedestrian bridge from the start.  Would love to meet up ahead of time.  We will be arriving on Thursday, early afternoonish (hopefully). 

2013-06-17 11:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I am dealing with a foot and calf injury. :-( Resting lots.

I will be going to Sherpa for Ironman Coeur d'Alene this week and weekend which will keep me from training. The following week I am moving to a different area of town. It doesn't look like I will get in much training this week or next week. Guess it is good timing with my injury. Hoping to still have another week or two of big training before Vineman. I am still deciding if I will taper any for this race. I am using this race as a long training day in prep for the double. I don't feel I will PR with the type of training I have been doing - long and steady with no speed work. Looking forward to a fun day and weekend.

I am staying with my good friend Abbie. We are going to have so much FUN!!

2013-06-17 4:38 PM
in reply to: amymengel

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Bronze member
Hi everyone – I’m Linda from Kansas City and I’m in for this race as well. This will be my third Iron-distance race (IMWI in 2010 and IMKY in 2011). I’m doing the race with my super BT friends and Iron-buddies lisac957 and InnerAthlete. I haven’t been in this thread yet, so I just went and read the last few pages to get kind of caught up. (Well, I guess I am in the thread already from Lisa’s picture yesterday!) Anyway, I just wanted to stop in and say hello to everybody, and wish everyone well in training. I can’t believe there are only six more weeks left.

This is a recovery week for me, and it couldn’t come soon enough. I’ve had a nagging pain in my left hamstring for a few weeks, and started having pain on the top of my right foot after this week’s 16 mile run. Thankfully, I have only two more really long runs left. I’m alternating easy/hard weeks for the next four, and then have taper. I think the race is going to be great, but I’m more looking forward to relaxing by the pool and visiting some wineries afterwards!

Happy training, everybody!
2013-06-17 9:18 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I'm also up for a meet up, maybe a group dinner or something. I don't know the area at all. I'm in Fairfield Inn in Sebastopol (I guess right next to Santa Rosa). I was just about to call them tonight to make sure I got a non-smoking room and then I saw on their site they are smoke-free. Excited for that since that was one sucky night's sleep before the Kansas HIM with that stale smokey air coming from the AC!

Also welcome to the thread Don't know how people do multiple ironmans. I haven't even hit my peak yet and I'm already getting exhausted and wishing I had free time...any time!

Edited by Blastman 2013-06-17 9:22 PM
2013-06-17 10:23 PM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Expert
Salem
Makes sense to do something on Thursday evening since Friday will be pretty busy. I heard somewhere not sure if it was on here, but to wear a BT Temporary Tat on your calf so on the bike and run people will recognize you. That is such a cool idea.

2013-06-17 10:25 PM
in reply to: TriGuyBri

User image

Expert
Salem
Did my 2:15 hr long run this evening. Probably won't be running tomorrow night, but I will swim. That will feel good. Here comes the rain for about 4 days.
2013-06-18 12:42 AM

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
One race I did all the BT people had the body markers write BT on their calf. It was a great way to pick each other out of the crowd and cheer as we go by each other.

Just noticed that the final time cut off is 11pm. Bummer. I thought that it would be midnight. Shoot. I might have needed until midnight. The run is going to be my big question mark. I just shared that with my husband and he said he will follow behind me with an air horn to keep me moving. I don't care how tired I am...I will punch him. Haha!
2013-06-18 10:26 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by akrenik

Just noticed that the final time cut off is 11pm. Bummer. I thought that it would be midnight. Shoot. I might have needed until midnight. The run is going to be my big question mark. I just shared that with my husband and he said he will follow behind me with an air horn to keep me moving. I don't care how tired I am...I will punch him. Haha!

Hmm I'm just seeing that too. More motivation to not walk for me, but still makes me nervous.

2013-06-19 2:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Still looking to register for the race (I know, I know... it's already mid June) if anybody knows anybody else looking to sign up (or maybe a friend you want to see suffer, etc.) PM me. Hoping to take advantage of the buy one, get one 1/2 off deal...
2013-06-19 3:13 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by akrenik

Hmm I'm just seeing that too. More motivation to not walk for me, but still makes me nervous.

I am planning to walk run the first half (6 min. run and 1 min. walk). I get about a half mile each 6 min. interval). Maybe more walking than running the second half. I have been running a route the last two long runs that is quite hilly. Over 2000 ft. of climbing over 11 miles. Even at 3 hrs., which is my longest long run, I may still only get to maybe 15 miles if I am lucky; probably more like 14.

2013-06-19 10:52 PM

User image

Does anyone know how the swim works? I looked at the maps today and saw that we have to do 2 loops. I heard of races where you have to get out of the water and run back to the start for the second loop. That the case here? The start and finish look llike ~500ft away from each other (http://www.vineman.com/Assets/Maps/Ironman+70.3+Vineman+and+Full+Vineman+Swim+Course+Map.jpeg) Not horrible distance twice but my feet get raw running on gravel.
2013-06-19 10:56 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
Originally posted by Blastman

Does anyone know how the swim works? I looked at the maps today and saw that we have to do 2 loops. I heard of races where you have to get out of the water and run back to the start for the second loop. That the case here? The start and finish look llike ~500ft away from each other (http://www.vineman.com/Assets/Maps/Ironman+70.3+Vineman+and+Full+Vineman+Swim+Course+Map.jpeg) Not horrible distance twice but my feet get raw running on gravel.

My understanding is that you do not come out of the water. You swim around a buoy and head back up stream.
2013-06-20 9:27 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

QUESTION! Any of you bringing kiddos in your cheering section? What activities do they have planed for before or after race day?

I ask because my sister and her family are coming out and are looking for something TOTALLY COOL to do with a 9-year-old and a 12-year-old-turning-13-that-week - both boys. They found a zip lining place but you have to be 10 years old no exceptions. Cry

Any ideas along those lines?

2013-06-20 11:32 AM

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach

QUESTION! Any of you bringing kiddos in your cheering section? What activities do they have planed for before or after race day?

I ask because my sister and her family are coming out and are looking for something TOTALLY COOL to do with a 9-year-old and a 12-year-old-turning-13-that-week - both boys. They found a zip lining place but you have to be 10 years old no exceptions. Cry

I am bringing my 16 and 17 year old. They plan on going back to the hotel pool while I am out riding. I did see that there are a few places along the river that you can rent kayaks. That should be fun for kids for about an hour.
2013-06-20 12:14 PM
in reply to: booth22

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by booth22 Still looking to register for the race (I know, I know... it's already mid June) if anybody knows anybody else looking to sign up (or maybe a friend you want to see suffer, etc.) PM me. Hoping to take advantage of the buy one, get one 1/2 off deal...

Someone on ST is looking... 

2013-06-20 12:28 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Charles Schulz Museum in Santa Rosa

Redwoods in Armstrong Woods near Guernesville (easy hiking)

Kayaking

Wildlife park in Santa Rosa

2013-06-20 3:13 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Expert
Salem
Hey Group,

I sent an email to Ron of BT to inquire about BT Temp. Tattos for the race. I asked him for 15. Not sure if there is a cost is but no matter. If you want one I'll have them if we can get together. If you can't make it I'll send you one.
2013-06-20 3:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by TriGuyBri

My understanding is that you do not come out of the water. You swim around a buoy and head back up stream.

That is correct, you just turn left to start loop two instead of exiting the water. Enjoy the free push of current downstream on the way back each loop- the more swimmers, the more of a whirlpool effect you get.

Here's our race report from 2011- http://www.raceeverystep.com/2011/08/full-vineman-2011-race-report....

(we were there in 2012 as well) hopefully there is some useful info about the course and race in general that helps. Any other Q's, fire away...
2013-06-21 11:38 PM
in reply to: booth22

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
Originally posted by booth22

That is correct, you just turn left to start loop two instead of exiting the water. Enjoy the free push of current downstream on the way back each loop- the more swimmers, the more of a whirlpool effect you get.

Here's our race report from 2011- http://www.raceeverystep.com/2011/08/full-vineman-2011-race-report....

(we were there in 2012 as well) hopefully there is some useful info about the course and race in general that helps. Any other Q's, fire away...

Great report! Thanks for sharing!
2013-06-22 6:54 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Hey Group,

I sent an email to Ron of BT to inquire about BT Temp. Tattos for the race. I asked him for 15. Not sure if there is a cost is but no matter. If you want one I'll have them if we can get together. If you can't make it I'll send you one.

Any dates? I vote for Thursday night dinner or depending on if people are staying the next day (haha! You won't catch me getting up early the next day to pack or disassemble my bike! ) we could do that too.

New topic/rant:

Well I did my first ever 100 mile bike ride today. It sucked. It really sucked. I did 96 miles in 5 hours last week (moving time not total time since my bike computer stops after 5-10 seconds of no input and I refill water bottles every 1.5-2 hours at car) and today I managed to just barley get 100.# in 5:30! Plus I had to stop two or three times just to cool down in the shade. It got up to 95 and I was not feeling good. I noticed my arms were no longer sweating near the end. I counted my drinks and I downed 160oz of gatoraid and 32 oz of water! That's 12 pounds of liquid. I was quite astonished. I was supposed to run an hour afterwards and I forgot my running shirt. I tried to run in my bike shirt before and lets just I'll never do that again. I don't want my pic taken and be one of "those" people. Those shirts are like sand paper. But anyway, probably a good thing I forgot my shirt since I would have been stupid enough to run...well maybe walk. I saw on the race page that temps range from 80-95 and I'm really hoping for the lower end of the average on race day!

Edited by Blastman 2013-06-22 6:54 PM

2013-06-22 7:05 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Nice job Blastman! The heat is no joke.

I got my 6 hours in the saddle, but half was on the trainer. Yes. The trainer.
I drove out to some wicked hills for the first 3 hours but the wind was at 25mph sustained and it absolutely killed me. All of that plus climbing heat made me bag it at one loop instead of two. I was rolling solo and have bonked on that loop alone before - scary and I didn't want to put myself at that big of a risk today. Proud that I got the rest in on the trainer but hoping for at least ONE more long ride with winds under 20mph  

2013-06-22 8:47 PM

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
Blastman- even a sucky ride for you blows me away! That is nuts though about how much liquid you took in!

Lisa- way to get it done! I will think of you when I'm on my long ride tomorrow and I am tempted to throw in the towel
2013-06-22 9:01 PM

User image

Lisa way to get on the trainer! I shortened 2 workouts this week because I can't stand the trainer anymore! I'm going nuts on that thing and all my weekday workouts are on it since those are my interval days. I can see where you're coming from though and playing it safe. I was constantly thirsty and got a slight headache while I was out there. At that point I started downing my water bottles whether I could stomach it or not. I got a great run in yesterday, which was also in the 90's, but it didn't carry over well since I rode in the noon sun today vs running in the evening sun yesterday.

Ann - I wasn't so much complaining about the miles (well I would always like to get a little more ) I was more saying the ride sucked due to the heat and the duration of the ride in the heat. I was hoping for a flash rain storm but it never happened.
2013-06-22 9:55 PM

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
Yeah the heat is going to be a huge factor. I talked two two people today who raced it last year and said they put ice in their shorts at just about every aid station
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Full Vineman Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 29