BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2014-06-02 1:31 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors: We Will Stalk You (Open)

Originally posted by ponderingfox

I had a great race, guys! Top 10% overall.  I finished first in my club, and had a really great time.  I'll try to get the RR out soon.

Nice job!!!!!!!!!

2014-06-02 1:39 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by Tripopo Very cool stuff Yanti! Trying to figure the best way to get back to where I was a couple of years ago so I have a question. After getting gassed by my injured brother on a two mile run I'm acutely aware of exactly where I am in regards to fitness, square 1. My plan is to start a 16 week Oly plan in July so I have about 6 weeks to get ready for that. Obviously to get better at S/B/R I need to do S/B/R but in terms of getting back fitness would it be more beneficial to aim at strength training for the next few weeks in addition to S/B/R? My goal is to do something at least 5 days a week and I'm trying to figure out what that will be, I know it will be bike heavy because that's I'm currently pool-less and I find more enjoyment in the bike then the run. Any thoughts on where to start when starting over?

I started training in March after 2.5 years of basically doing nothing, and I mean *nothing* other than some swimming with a pull buoy, not even walking.  I started by doing core exercises 6 days a week for a month, progressed to S, B, or R 3 day a week for another month, then bumped it up to 6 days a week.  I'm currently doing 2 swim, 2 bike, 2 run every week and am going to start doing 2 things on some days, especially one weekend day.  That being said, I'm doing my first tri, a sprint in mid-August, so I'm probably taking it a lot slower than you will be and have lower expectations for my performance.

Good luck!

ETA:  When I started "running," I actually did run/walk intervals starting with 1 min run/4 min walk, then increasing the running and decreasing the walking.

Edited by laffinrock 2014-06-02 1:51 PM
2014-06-02 1:41 PM

User image

Denver, CO

I had a great race, guys! Top 10% overall.  I finished first in my club, and had a really great time.  I'll try to get the RR out soon.

WOOOOO  HOOOOO!!!  Way to go!!!

2014-06-02 1:46 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by Tripopo Very cool stuff Yanti! Trying to figure the best way to get back to where I was a couple of years ago so I have a question. After getting gassed by my injured brother on a two mile run I'm acutely aware of exactly where I am in regards to fitness, square 1. My plan is to start a 16 week Oly plan in July so I have about 6 weeks to get ready for that. Obviously to get better at S/B/R I need to do S/B/R but in terms of getting back fitness would it be more beneficial to aim at strength training for the next few weeks in addition to S/B/R? My goal is to do something at least 5 days a week and I'm trying to figure out what that will be, I know it will be bike heavy because that's I'm currently pool-less and I find more enjoyment in the bike then the run. Any thoughts on where to start when starting over?

First up would be to look at the expectations of fitness level when starting the plan. They should have some description to help with this. Are you there or can you get there? I think the first couple weeks should be fairly easy to accomplish as well.

If memory serves, you are pretty much starting from scratch, correct? With a 6 week cushion, I would start about 2 weeks of acclimation. Run/Bike for fun, stretching out the bike time for a bit longer each ride. Runs would be EZ, short and often if possible. Al this just to establish where I am. Bike would also include a couple of intervals, road sign sprint kind of things. I wouldn't really have a "focus" or plan other than to get comfortable and begin the process. The next 4 weeks or so would be a bit more focused on where I need to be, like Ben mentioned, trying to get to the start of the plan. I don't strength train at all, so I won't speak to that, but I would keep a rubber ball/stick/foam roller handy, as I imagine the tightness and soreness will start up as you get back into it.

All this is rather jello like, meaning that if after week 1 you are in a good place, than maybe start a little more "build" in week 2, rather than wait.

2014-06-02 3:09 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Congratulations Yanti and Tom!  Great job both of you!

2014-06-02 3:15 PM
in reply to: Tripopo

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Two word for you:  base and core

Chris made a good point about acclimating yourself to riding and running.  Focus on building a habit and having fun.  Remember that you need to go slow to go fast, think frequency instead of distance, and spend the first two weeks locating a pool that you can use.

I would definitely add core work to that along with push ups and pull ups.

2014-06-02 3:36 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Woooo hooooo, way to go, Foxy!!

2014-06-02 3:40 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Pennsylvania

Bike intervals on the road: who does 'em, what metric to you use to measure 'em (time or distance or both), and who has a few suggestions for me of some bike interval workouts?

2014-06-02 7:12 PM

User image

Master

Home again! Here's a few trip highlights (yes, you have to see pics) before I jump into playing catch-up.

-Taylor had his 7th bday and lost his first tooth...same day.

-Build-A-Bear + Carousel ride = kid memories

-He got a youth kayak as a present from us.

-Brought home my '04 Land Cruiser.

(20140529_120943.jpg)

(20140529_121002.jpg)

(20140531_181658.jpg)

(20140602_160403.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
20140529_120943.jpg (66KB - 4 downloads)
20140529_121002.jpg (50KB - 5 downloads)
20140531_181658.jpg (61KB - 5 downloads)
20140602_160403.jpg (77KB - 3 downloads)
2014-06-02 7:54 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by jmkizer

Two word for you:  base and core

Chris made a good point about acclimating yourself to riding and running.  Focus on building a habit and having fun.  Remember that you need to go slow to go fast, think frequency instead of distance, and spend the first two weeks locating a pool that you can use.

I would definitely add core work to that along with push ups and pull ups.

Yeah, to add a bit, just go do some things. It's easier to change things around or add a little more when you're used to already being fairly active. Not even hard workouts or long workouts necessarily, but just doing something.

I'm not as big on jumping right into strength training things immediately, since that was mentioned before. When everything is fairly low it's not that likely something will be out of balance. If that does turn out to be the case, then it might be more appropriate to think of it as rehab or therapy. And do take care of it! That's not to say never do it otherwise, but to develop some good s/b/r habits first and then see what's not being addressed as well by those.

2014-06-02 8:00 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by melbo55

Bike intervals on the road: who does 'em, what metric to you use to measure 'em (time or distance or both), and who has a few suggestions for me of some bike interval workouts?

Mostly I'm on the trainer for them, but sometimes on the road. Time is the dominant one in there. Always. That said, I'm still mindful of the distance I'll need to keep going for that amount of time. So in town between lights & signs is terrible, for example. If you have hills to use, this is a way they can be fantastic by finding hills of an appropriate distance for the time you want at the effort you'll be doing. And it's another way to use the flexibility of intervals if you can follow the guidelines for executing the different types.

2014-06-02 8:01 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master

Originally posted by melbo55

My town in on a grid. Main roads are at 1mi intersections. Since I can't get long rides in more than once a week (in good weeks), I have a 6mi loop and know where I'm going to push for up to a mile. That's the best I can do in my situation.

Edited by 4agoodlife 2014-06-02 8:09 PM
2014-06-02 8:19 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master

Yanti- Ooooooh-eeeee! Sounds, and looks, like you were busy

Tom- that's awesome!  Should I look for RR yet?

Monica- you udderly cowed that ride. And you have pics to prove it.

Matt- how was your race?

Jonathan- that rain ride...I hear Texans just grin and beer it

2014-06-03 2:52 AM

User image

Master
Orlando
Sounds (and looks) like a successful trip! But, you forgot to add that you learned to love running in humidity
2014-06-03 2:54 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by rrrunner

Nice job!!!!!!!!!

Yes, nice job!
2014-06-03 8:28 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
URGH I hate falling behind on posts! Been nonstop since Sunday. Things should calm down.......Saturday maybe? LOL

Lots of riding - mostly the road bike.

I picked up 3 more saddles to try on the tri bike:
adamo breakaway
adamo Prologue
Cobb max

first impressions say I might like the Cobb but saturday will be the big test. Thinking about going out for a long ride with a backpack and a wrench

Hope everyone's weeks are going well - in recent history looks like FOX had a great race so good job - I'll look forward to a race report.

Carry on!

2014-06-03 9:25 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Yanti- Ooooooh-eeeee! Sounds, and looks, like you were busy

Tom- that's awesome!  Should I look for RR yet?

Monica- you udderly cowed that ride. And you have pics to prove it.

Matt- how was your race?

Jonathan- that rain ride...I hear Texans just grin and beer it

She obviously steered quite well and milked it for all it was worth.

2014-06-03 9:58 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk URGH I hate falling behind on posts! Been nonstop since Sunday. Things should calm down.......Saturday maybe? LOL Lots of riding - mostly the road bike. I picked up 3 more saddles to try on the tri bike: adamo breakaway adamo Prologue Cobb max first impressions say I might like the Cobb but saturday will be the big test. Thinking about going out for a long ride with a backpack and a wrench Hope everyone's weeks are going well - in recent history looks like FOX had a great race so good job - I'll look forward to a race report. Carry on!

I have the prologue on my tri bike and really like it.  I have the Cobb on my road bike and like it too.  In fact, I probably would like it on the tri bike if for some reason I had to make the switch.  Aren't I helpful 

2014-06-03 9:59 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Home again! Here's a few trip highlights (yes, you have to see pics) before I jump into playing catch-up.

-Taylor had his 7th bday and lost his first tooth...same day.

-Build-A-Bear + Carousel ride = kid memories

-He got a youth kayak as a present from us.

-Brought home my '04 Land Cruiser.

What a fun, memorable trip for all!  Love the pics of the kiddos on the merry-go-round with their Build-a-Bear animals.

2014-06-03 11:05 AM

User image

Seattle

Hey Manatees, just dropping in to update yall. 

I am back running!!!!!!!!!! I am so incredibly happy (and lucky.) As most of you know, the estimated recovery was 6 weeks but I got there in 13 days. I still have a HUGE hole in my back that is not stitched up but, other than being a little sore here and there it doesn't bother me much.  

I went from to 

I'm just so happy. Don't take your good health for granted. Ever. Get out and enjoy the gift you have! 

2014-06-03 11:18 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Denver, CO

Salty, so great to hear from you!!  I've been wondering how your recovery was going and it seems like you've made it through the worst of it in record time.  Of course - you're a speed demon so why wouldn't you?   Hope it continues to go so spectacularly!

Erin, looks like you had a blast with the kids, with lots of milestones and fun.  You must be completely exhausted, though!  Welcome home and welcome back to low humidity. 

2014-06-03 11:47 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Asalzwed

I am back running!!!!!!!!!! I am so incredibly happy (and lucky.) As most of you know, the estimated recovery was 6 weeks but I got there in 13 days. I still have a HUGE hole in my back that is not stitched up but, other than being a little sore here and there it doesn't bother me much.  

I went from to 

I'm just so happy. Don't take your good health for granted. Ever. Get out and enjoy the gift you have! 

So glad you are back in action!!  Bolded and enlarged because it bears repeating.

2014-06-03 12:05 PM

User image

Master

I went from to 

Seriously FANTASTIC! Wow! :D
2014-06-03 12:16 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Veteran
East Texas
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

URGH I hate falling behind on posts! Been nonstop since Sunday. Things should calm down.......Saturday maybe? LOL

Lots of riding - mostly the road bike.

I picked up 3 more saddles to try on the tri bike:
adamo breakaway
adamo Prologue
Cobb max

first impressions say I might like the Cobb but saturday will be the big test. Thinking about going out for a long ride with a backpack and a wrench

Hope everyone's weeks are going well - in recent history looks like FOX had a great race so good job - I'll look forward to a race report.

Carry on!

Many of my female friends like the Cobb Max. It's a good saddle. I used to ride it
2014-06-03 12:20 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I went from to 

Woo hoo!  So glad that you are back on your feet and running again!

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.
date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.