BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-07-02 9:42 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!
Originally posted by ligersandtions

Buffalo Spring 70.3 Race Report -- as per usual, it's wordy

Cliffs notes version: swim was okay, but I was in a bit of a mental funk....bike started well, but my power slipped throughout the ride to 8-10 watts less than I'd originally planned for....run started great (had a solid negative split), but hit a wall at mile 11 that I'm still trying to wrap my brain around.

So if anyone has the mental fortitude to read through the whole thing and provide any feedback about why I haven't managed to hold my planned power or what might have caused me to hit the wall on the run, I'd appreciate it (here or on the RR).

Hey Nicole, just got the chance to read through your race report again. FWIW I don't consider that a long race report at all! ;^)

Your experience on the run sounds fairly normal to me, even though it came a tad later in the game than what most sports psychology research might indicate. It is fairly well documented that even when we are having a great race (and you clearly did by all indications) most of us will experience a little of that "darkness," most typically in the 3rd quarter of any race (or hard effort for that matter) no matter the distance. The trick is that through experience to expect it, and knowing that it a psychological phenomena (which makes it no less real) allows you to deal with it as such. In the end it is just part of the game when you find yourself competing to the best of your ability. Rather than worrying about it, I would instead consider it a breakthrough moment in which you have crossed over to the next level of performance. You didn't crack, and you finished with a negative split! Having that experience this past weekend will leave you much better prepared to deal with the next time, and the next time, and the next time.

I don't know if it mirrors other's experience, but I used to think performing well would get easier as time went on and I got more experience. Instead it seems that it gets harder and more painful, I think because at first you are up against physical limitations, but eventually our limiters become mental.

As to the power drop, that would not be atypical for me either, although I am trying to get better at it, but have a long way to go. I am incredibly impressed by others in the group (Jason, anyone?) that can seem to hit and hold their targets like a machine. While I use power for targets to aim for in training, I am beginning to learn that for me power in races is completely different, and actually used better as a limiter or rather a sort of "do not exceed" number in particular situations (long climbs, etc), especially in long races. In short races I don't pay attention to it at all, except maybe if there are really long climbs like we had this weekend in Chattanooga. Then I would again use it as a limiter, not a target.

I am also trying to get better at building toward a target in training vs fading back to it. When doing intervals I tend to ride them rather defensively: I start a little high and fade back. I know it is better to start a little low and build, and I am getting better, but still need to work on it - it just takes more confidence. Which again goes back to that mental thing that we all need to keep working on!

2014-07-02 10:19 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by Jason N

Q. What limited your ability to perform faster? A. Fatness.

Ha-ha Jason, I just had to quote that again for posterity - way too funny!

great job on the race. I was surprised by two things 1) limited to no warmup, and 2) coming out of the gate fairly hard with the group. Those two things would have been a recipe for disaster for me. I think your plan for next time to lay back on the start and make the time lost up on the climb is actually a very good one, though it would take some confidence. You are such a strong, smart, rock steady TT rider I just have to think the time you could make up on the climb after a good warm up would be far greater than what you lost by over-cooking the run-in to the climb. Could be the ticket to sneaking in under the 3:30 barrier.

your various reports on this race have definitely put it on my list of must-dos. One of my sisters and her family are relocate from Florida to O'ahu for work next week. They will be there for about 1.5 ~2 years, so I am starting to plan a trip scheduled around a race on one of the islands next year. Was of course thinking 70.3, but are there others that you would recommend before WTC, or would that be the one to target form your experience, as far as bang-for-buck goes?

Edited by TankBoy 2014-07-02 10:20 AM

2014-07-02 10:28 AM
in reply to: Fred D

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
A few weeks back Fred solicited interest in a group meetup/smack-down race next year. I can't find the responses - was there any consensus on that? I am thinking of doing something a little different and being more bike focused next year - Would anybody else be interested in Leadman in September? 3 distances on the same day: 85k/125k/250k - could be fun?
2014-07-02 10:59 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Little Harbour
I was just wondering as a rookie tot he sport or as my wife calls me (Triathlonner) what should I be eating prior to a pool workout?
2014-07-02 11:31 AM
in reply to: Divemedic

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Divemedic I was just wondering as a rookie tot he sport or as my wife calls me (Triathlonner) what should I be eating prior to a pool workout?

Hi Jeremy,

I don't think there is anything specific you need to be eating.  My general rule is simply to not eat anything immediately before (maybe within the 30 mins before) but that's somewhat of a rule for any workout for myself.  I tend to run into some gastro issues if I do anything intense immediately after eating.

If you are interested in joining our group, post a bio and tell us a bit about yourself!  I see you are from Nova Scotia, I'm next door in PEI.

2014-07-02 11:33 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by TankBoy A few weeks back Fred solicited interest in a group meetup/smack-down race next year. I can't find the responses - was there any consensus on that? I am thinking of doing something a little different and being more bike focused next year - Would anybody else be interested in Leadman in September? 3 distances on the same day: 85k/125k/250k - could be fun?

I don't think there was any real consensus but I'd be interested depending on the timing - I will do some reading on Leadman.  Why don't we all chase Jason up Haleakala?  

Edit: I quickly looked at Leadman.  Longer swim, longer bike, shorter run - how can I resist???

Edited by axteraa 2014-07-02 11:35 AM

2014-07-02 11:47 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by TankBoy A few weeks back Fred solicited interest in a group meetup/smack-down race next year. I can't find the responses - was there any consensus on that? I am thinking of doing something a little different and being more bike focused next year - Would anybody else be interested in Leadman in September? 3 distances on the same day: 85k/125k/250k - could be fun?

I don't think there was any real consensus but I'd be interested depending on the timing - I will do some reading on Leadman.  Why don't we all chase Jason up Haleakala?  

Edit: I quickly looked at Leadman.  Longer swim, longer bike, shorter run - how can I resist???

Well, assuming you're interested in the 250k, Haleakala would probably fit nicely into a bike base build leading into Leadman.  Just sayin...

2014-07-02 11:48 AM

User image

Originally posted by Divemedic I was just wondering as a rookie tot he sport or as my wife calls me (Triathlonner) what should I be eating prior to a pool workout?

Hi Jeremy,

I don't think there is anything specific you need to be eating.  My general rule is simply to not eat anything immediately before (maybe within the 30 mins before) but that's somewhat of a rule for any workout for myself.  I tend to run into some gastro issues if I do anything intense immediately after eating.

If you are interested in joining our group, post a bio and tell us a bit about yourself!  I see you are from Nova Scotia, I'm next door in PEI.

Yeah, I don't eat anything special before a swim (when I used to swim...LOL).  Because I likely need to drive to the pool or the open water, I might eat something small before getting into the car, but certainly not a meal, and usually nothing once I'm at the location I'm going to swim at.

2014-07-02 11:49 AM

User image

Little Harbour
I did join but haven't posted much..I am a ferry ride away from you. I am preparing for my first Tri at the end of the month
2014-07-02 11:52 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Good stuff, which one?

2014-07-02 1:41 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Well, assuming you're interested in the 250k, Haleakala would probably fit nicely into a bike base build leading into Leadman.  Just sayin...

I'd be down for it except that given this year's race date, in 2015 I will probably be diving in Kona that day.....

2014-07-02 2:02 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Hi Jeremy,

Hi Jeremy - welcome aboard! I swim masters in the morning at 5:45, so I don't eat anything either. I do lie a little caffeine in me though. For some reason AFTER swimming I really like grapes. I have no idea why, but I cannot get enough of them.

2014-07-02 2:10 PM

User image

Originally posted by TankBoy

great job on the race. I was surprised by two things 1) limited to no warmup, and 2) coming out of the gate fairly hard with the group. Those two things would have been a recipe for disaster for me. I think your plan for next time to lay back on the start and make the time lost up on the climb is actually a very good one, though it would take some confidence. You are such a strong, smart, rock steady TT rider I just have to think the time you could make up on the climb after a good warm up would be far greater than what you lost by over-cooking the run-in to the climb. Could be the ticket to sneaking in under the 3:30 barrier.

your various reports on this race have definitely put it on my list of must-dos. One of my sisters and her family are relocate from Florida to O'ahu for work next week. They will be there for about 1.5 ~2 years, so I am starting to plan a trip scheduled around a race on one of the islands next year. Was of course thinking 70.3, but are there others that you would recommend before WTC, or would that be the one to target form your experience, as far as bang-for-buck goes?

Thanks Rusty.

Normally the lead group doesn't go out that hard...or the top 5-7 guys sprint off the line and the rest what is left is more of a 2nd tier group that again...doesn't go that hard in the first 7 miles.  That's why I tried to hang on for a little while...hoping the pace would ease up and I could sit in the small draft until the grades start to get over 3%.  But I pulled the plug early knowing that the leaders were driving the pace and I have no business being anywhere near them if they have the foot on the gas.  I would have warmed up more, but the problem is that you have to line up like 30 minutes before the race starts if you want to get a decent spot on the start line.  Had I known the group was going to go out that hard though, I wouldn't have cared and just TT'd the whole race rather than chase groups.

As for Hawaii races, Cycle to the Sun is by far my favorite.  I may be biased though.  You can do marathons, 70.3's, swim races, etc around the world, but Haleakala is the longest sustained climb on a paved road in the world.  If I were suggesting a 2 week vacation in Hawaii though, I would suggest going in October.  1 week on Maui, hook up with Maui Cyclery to do a supported ride up, do a couple more rides on West and East Maui, enjoy the beaches, etc.  Then fly over to Kona, ride, run, and swim around there and experience Ironman week.

2014-07-02 2:11 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Well, that is sort of what I was actually thinking when I asked you about 70.3 or "something else." Would be tough to pass up the 70.3 experience in Hawaii, but you know I DO like me some climbing.... Will you be doing either or both next year, or too soon to say? That would of course be part of the decision as well. 'Cause we all know it is a lot more fun beating people we know versus random strangers....

2014-07-02 2:14 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Yeah, Arend - I thought you might like that one. Same reason it is of interest to me, quite honestly.

2014-07-02 2:19 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Thanks Rusty.

Normally the lead group doesn't go out that hard...or the top 5-7 guys sprint off the line and the rest what is left is more of a 2nd tier group that again...doesn't go that hard in the first 7 miles.  That's why I tried to hang on for a little while...hoping the pace would ease up and I could sit in the small draft until the grades start to get over 3%.  But I pulled the plug early knowing that the leaders were driving the pace and I have no business being anywhere near them if they have the foot on the gas.  I would have warmed up more, but the problem is that you have to line up like 30 minutes before the race starts if you want to get a decent spot on the start line.  Had I known the group was going to go out that hard though, I wouldn't have cared and just TT'd the whole race rather than chase groups.

As for Hawaii races, Cycle to the Sun is by far my favorite.  I may be biased though.  You can do marathons, 70.3's, swim races, etc around the world, but Haleakala is the longest sustained climb on a paved road in the world.  If I were suggesting a 2 week vacation in Hawaii though, I would suggest going in October.  1 week on Maui, hook up with Maui Cyclery to do a supported ride up, do a couple more rides on West and East Maui, enjoy the beaches, etc.  Then fly over to Kona, ride, run, and swim around there and experience Ironman week.

Great Advice, Jason - would love to get over for Ironman week. That will have to wait until I retire in a few year though - no way I can take two weeks off work in October :^(

I like your thinking re: you can do a 70.3 anywhere, but there is only one place in the world where you can do the Haleakala climb. with a bike-focused year next season, that may make some sense. At least as much as any of this does.

2014-07-02 4:14 PM

User image

Well, that is sort of what I was actually thinking when I asked you about 70.3 or "something else." Would be tough to pass up the 70.3 experience in Hawaii, but you know I DO like me some climbing.... Will you be doing either or both next year, or too soon to say? That would of course be part of the decision as well. 'Cause we all know it is a lot more fun beating people we know versus random strangers....

Too early for me to say.  But if I did Leadman, I most likely would do Haleakala the same year.  It really does fit nicely.

2014-07-02 6:42 PM

User image

Little Harbour
I am doing the Melmerby Triathlon -Olympic Distance
I was just wondering because I find at about the 800m mark I'm starting to get hungry...
2014-07-02 6:56 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by DivemedicI am doing the Melmerby Triathlon -Olympic DistanceI was just wondering because I find at about the 800m mark I'm starting to get hungry...

Ah, if you are asking what we eat before the swim portion of a race, then that is different. For a 7:30 start I would get up around 4:15 and eat a banana, a little protein, and something high GI carbs: white bread, scone, etc - nothing with fiber. I actually like a couple of scrambled eggs if I can get them. About 10 minutes before the swim starts I will eat a gel and down about 20oz of water, and make sure I get my pee on before I am do e with the swim. Yet another skill that you need to develop in masters practice.

2014-07-02 6:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Yeah, Arend - I thought you might like that one. Same reason it is of interest to me, quite honestly.

I'd be interested in that race as well....just not sure next year is going to fit in with my plans.  I'm gunning for an Austria slot

2014-07-02 8:35 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

I'd be interested in that race as well....just not sure next year is going to fit in with my plans.  I'm gunning for an Austria slot

A couple that sometimes trains with us loves the full IM Austria course.  I think they've done it 3 or 4 times now including this past weekend.  Other than weather being a little bit of a crap shoot (sometimes super hot), they've got nothing but good things to say.  

2014-07-02 9:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

A couple that sometimes trains with us loves the full IM Austria course.  I think they've done it 3 or 4 times now including this past weekend.  Other than weather being a little bit of a crap shoot (sometimes super hot), they've got nothing but good things to say.  

Hah, I'm not going for IM Austria....70.3 WC is in Austria in 2015 -- that's my goal!  Still haven't gotten the 140.6 itch in even the slightest way.  But base on pictures, course description, having visited the area, and IM Austria reports, it's very high up on my list of races.....plus, the qualifying aspect is always a motivator.  

2014-07-02 10:39 PM

Master
Northern IL

I don't recall a consensus either, and it was for several IM's. James also floated the idea of doing this at Quassy. The leadman format interests me, but not sure I can pull of a trip all the way to the northwest. Will have to see. 

2014-07-03 7:29 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by brigby1

I don't recall a consensus either, and it was for several IM's. James also floated the idea of doing this at Quassy. The leadman format interests me, but not sure I can pull of a trip all the way to the northwest. Will have to see. 

How about a nice centrally located HIM… like Austin.  Oh, right, it's in the middle, but more in the middle of nowhere.  

Interesting ideas...

2014-07-03 7:37 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Back from vacation - had a great and relaxing time, although training was far from ideal.  That said I was living on top of a hill and running up and down damn near killed me (so I must be stronger now...).  Anyway, looking forward to catching back on with the group.

Also, the idea of Quassy next year intrigues me.  I thought about pulling the trigger on that one in the past

Rusty - I've seen this comment before, but why no fiber, just because it can mess with your system?

For a 7:30 start I would get up around 4:15 and eat a banana, a little protein, and something high GI carbs: white bread, scone, etc - nothing with fiber. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38743 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 74223 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.