BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 298

2011-08-29 11:53 AM
in reply to: #3434069

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed

HI everyone.  Thanks so much for all the wishes and support.  That was quite an experience.  The swim was the largest ever IM start!   That was beyond crazy.  For the first 10 minutes it was like being caught in a stampede.  There literally was no room to swim and you were in serious danger of being swam over by the 1000's of people behind you.  But overall I enjoyed the swim.  I beat my swim goal by 4 minutes so can't beat that.

The bike wasn't too hard.  All those weekends of training in the mountains really paid off. There wasn't anything out there I hadn't done before and not nearly as steep as my training rides.  Lots of people had difficulties with the heat.  Mid 90's.  I guess there was one benefit from spending the last 2 months training in 100degree / 80% humidity.  The unexpected part was all the yellow jackets from the fruit orchards.  Something got stuck under my race ID wrist band and stung the hell out of me!  Ouch.

Now the girl with the iron clad stomach actually had GI issues.  I was extremely nervous that morning and had a very sour gut off the back.  I always eat apples on the bike but the apples I bought up here were much more tart and the mixing with my stomach acids made a nasty combination.  I forced through my gel nutrition but had to follow each gel shot with a bite of beef jerky to keep it happy.  But when I started the run it was really rough going.  I tried one shot at the beginning and came way too close to pulling a Kyla.  So it was water, coke, pretzels, chicken soup and orange slices for 26.2 miles.  And what was up with the chicken soup - don't you people have Cambells up here?  It was some spicy herbal crap.  After the first four miles (and at least 10 lbs of ice down the sports bra)  I was able to start running.  But by mile 9 (just when Trevor passed me) I started walking.  However when I hit the turn around I really got my second wind and the fear of not making the cut off was too strong.  There is something very motivating about being on the was BACK vs the way out.  So I found my legs and ran it in.  I negative split the run by 20 minutes!!!!!  Running down that finishing shoot is the most amazing feeling ever.  I had such a huge smile on my face!  

I've just returned from spending WAY TOO MUCH money at the finishers tent!   But the coolest thing is I have a job waiting for me when I get home.   This has been a very epic journey that's for sure.  I'll write a more detailed report when I get home on Friday.

Love you all.

2011-08-29 12:16 PM
in reply to: #3664035

User image

Champion
marietta
tahrens - 2011-08-29 12:53 PM

HI everyone.  Thanks so much for all the wishes and support.  That was quite an experience.  The swim was the largest ever IM start!   That was beyond crazy.  For the first 10 minutes it was like being caught in a stampede.  There literally was no room to swim and you were in serious danger of being swam over by the 1000's of people behind you.  But overall I enjoyed the swim.  I beat my swim goal by 4 minutes so can't beat that.

The bike wasn't too hard.  All those weekends of training in the mountains really paid off. There wasn't anything out there I hadn't done before and not nearly as steep as my training rides.  Lots of people had difficulties with the heat.  Mid 90's.  I guess there was one benefit from spending the last 2 months training in 100degree / 80% humidity.  The unexpected part was all the yellow jackets from the fruit orchards.  Something got stuck under my race ID wrist band and stung the hell out of me!  Ouch.

Now the girl with the iron clad stomach actually had GI issues.  I was extremely nervous that morning and had a very sour gut off the back.  I always eat apples on the bike but the apples I bought up here were much more tart and the mixing with my stomach acids made a nasty combination.  I forced through my gel nutrition but had to follow each gel shot with a bite of beef jerky to keep it happy.  But when I started the run it was really rough going.  I tried one shot at the beginning and came way too close to pulling a Kyla.  So it was water, coke, pretzels, chicken soup and orange slices for 26.2 miles.  And what was up with the chicken soup - don't you people have Cambells up here?  It was some spicy herbal crap.  After the first four miles (and at least 10 lbs of ice down the sports bra)  I was able to start running.  But by mile 9 (just when Trevor passed me) I started walking.  However when I hit the turn around I really got my second wind and the fear of not making the cut off was too strong.  There is something very motivating about being on the was BACK vs the way out.  So I found my legs and ran it in.  I negative split the run by 20 minutes!!!!!  Running down that finishing shoot is the most amazing feeling ever.  I had such a huge smile on my face!  

I've just returned from spending WAY TOO MUCH money at the finishers tent!   But the coolest thing is I have a job waiting for me when I get home.   This has been a very epic journey that's for sure.  I'll write a more detailed report when I get home on Friday.

Love you all.

i'm so happy to read that. 

2011-08-29 12:37 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Hope the new job is here in NC. Congrats!
2011-08-29 12:53 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Congratulations Again, Tracy, on EVERYTHING! And pics of you in your new purchases would be awesome!
2011-08-29 1:24 PM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
tahrens - 2011-08-29 9:53 AM

Love you all.

Awesome, Tracy! So happy for you, on both the Ironman and the job!!! Thanks for checking in. I can't wait to read the RR!

2011-08-29 1:34 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
tahrens - 2011-08-29 11:53 AM

Love you all.

SO happy for you on so many levels.  It sounds like you trained smart, executed well through some rough patches and can spend more $$ on triathlon in '12 given that new job.  Can't beat that story.  Well done.

2011-08-29 2:34 PM

User image

Champion
marietta

canadian ironman.  2.4 mile swim. 112 mile bike. 26.2 mile run. 8 hour car ride home.

HA!

2011-08-29 3:40 PM
in reply to: #3664490

User image

Champion
fattyfatfat - 2011-08-29 2:34 PM

canadian ironman.  2.4 mile swim. 112 mile bike. 26.2 mile run. 8 hour car ride home.

HA!

Do they have planes in Canada?

2011-08-29 3:51 PM
in reply to: #3664644

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
SSMinnow - 2011-08-29 1:40 PM
fattyfatfat - 2011-08-29 2:34 PM

HA!

Do they have planes in Canada?

They don't know how to use them

2011-08-29 6:48 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
tahrens - 2011-08-29 2:53 PM

Love you all.

Huge congrats Tracy!!  But, apples and beef jerky??  Really?? I have never seen either of those come up in other forum threads.   

2011-08-29 7:37 PM
in reply to: #3663888

User image

Master
fattyfatfat - 2011-08-29 9:02 AM

so, you took up a part time modelling job now that k-man and shea are back in school?

Ha!! I'd fight anyone for a burrito that big! YUM!!!!!

And correction: Kiddos not back in school yet. September 6th. But who's counting??

2011-08-29 7:47 PM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
Ah yes Sept 6th - a golden day.  Looking forward to a routine again.  And speaking of kiddos.  My son and I are going to run the Hot Chocolate 5k in DC on Dec 5.  Over dinner I told him we needed to get a training together for him.  He told me he didn't want to finish last.  I said not to worry that we would be fine.  He said good because it didn't want all of the chocolate to be gone when we finished.  I laughed - he's definitely my son.
2011-08-29 8:42 PM

User image

Expert
Noosa

My swim this morning was a bit crap!

First thing: I normally go at 6am and just have a glass of water before swimming then a coffee and muffin straight after. Today I decided to see the kids first and had a cup of tea so started the swim at 7am and felt tired, out of rhythm and just not in the groove.

Second thing: my left knee is aching again since the swim, I think it was during the drills with fins but I'm a bit over it! I haven't run for 2 weeks and was hoping to re-start after work tonight.

Any thoughts???

2011-08-29 9:13 PM
in reply to: #3665018

User image

Champion
copa2251 - 2011-08-29 8:42 PM

First thing: I normally go at 6am and just have a glass of water before swimming then a coffee and muffin straight after. Today I decided to see the kids first and had a cup of tea so started the swim at 7am and felt tired, out of rhythm and just not in the groove.

Second thing: my left knee is aching again since the swim, I think it was during the drills with fins but I'm a bit over it! I haven't run for 2 weeks and was hoping to re-start after work tonight.

Any thoughts???

Is it possible that you were tired because you didn't eat anything and swam an hour later?  I always need food before any workout.....

Where exactly does the knee hurt? 

2011-08-29 9:21 PM

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
tahrens - 2011-08-29 12:53 PM

Love you all.

Awesome all around Tracy - especially the job!

2011-08-29 11:13 PM
in reply to: #3665040

User image

Expert
Noosa
SSMinnow - 2011-08-30 12:13 PM

Any thoughts???

Is it possible that you were tired because you didn't eat anything and swam an hour later?  I always need food before any workout.....

Yes, I wondered whether having thr cup of tea made my body expect some nutrition whereas normally I'm straight into the pool and eat after.

My knee aches below and slightly to the outside of my patella; that's where the pain came on during my HM. There's no swelling and it's not stopping me from doing anything but I wish it would go away!

2011-08-30 4:37 AM
in reply to: #3665040

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
SSMinnow - 2011-08-29 10:13 PM

Any thoughts???

Yeah that was what I was thinking.  From what I have read it can be good for weight loss to do easy workouts before eating, gets the metabolisim started up.  But it can be difficult to do if you do a harder workout.  Maybe your body got fired up and ready for more food.

2011-08-30 5:33 AM
in reply to: #3665125

User image

Champion
copa2251 - 2011-08-29 11:13 PM
SSMinnow - 2011-08-30 12:13 PM

Any thoughts???

Yes, I wondered whether having thr cup of tea made my body expect some nutrition whereas normally I'm straight into the pool and eat after.

My knee aches below and slightly to the outside of my patella; that's where the pain came on during my HM. There's no swelling and it's not stopping me from doing anything but I wish it would go away!

It sounds to me like it's an IT band issue at the lower attachment point.    Often times it starts at the TFL.  Have you done any trigger work in that area?  I usually use my TP massage ball on the TFL and then my Quad Roller on the whole IT band (avoiding the knee).  If you do this, you will know whether or not it is the problem.  It will hurt like crazy.  If you are on the TFL and get referral pain to that lower knee, so much the better.  I also suggest using the ball on your glutes.  Tight glutes are often the culprit to many lower body issues.  PM with any questions.

2011-08-30 7:36 AM

User image

Expert
Noosa
I'm foam rolling my IT band and yes, it hurt like he'll when I started but it's much better now.I didn't run today but I think I'll start doing little 20 min runs and keep foam rolling.My first tri of the season is in 9 weeks - an Oly...
2011-08-30 12:07 PM
in reply to: #3665279

User image

Champion

copa2251 - 2011-08-30 7:36 AM I'm foam rolling my IT band and yes, it hurt like he'll when I started but it's much better now.I didn't run today but I think I'll start doing little 20 min runs and keep foam rolling.My first tri of the season is in 9 weeks - an Oly...

If you're TFL is at all involved, the foam roller may not be enough.  Get a super ball or tennis ball and put it on that area while laying on the ground sideways to release it.

2011-08-30 12:47 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
I'm home but no computer. So quick ipad update.....Feeling thrilled,exhausted,sore,overwhelmed,underwhelmed,taped-out, ready for the next one, sad,happy to be at home hanging out with the girls,hungry, feeling better than i had expected. So many emetioms that i never thought i would feel. Little disappointed that i don't feel like i relished the day enough. But sunch good times. I'll be back later on but we need to do some grocery shopping asap.

2011-08-30 1:05 PM
in reply to: #3665883

User image

Elite
san francisco

TrevorC - 2011-08-30 10:47 AM I'm home but no computer. So quick ipad update.....Feeling thrilled,exhausted,sore,overwhelmed,underwhelmed,taped-out, ready for the next one, sad,happy to be at home hanging out with the girls,hungry, feeling better than i had expected. So many emetioms that i never thought i would feel. Little disappointed that i don't feel like i relished the day enough. But sunch good times. I'll be back later on but we need to do some grocery shopping asap.

So happy to hear from you, Champ!  Eat up, but maybe let Michelle choose what to put in the cart...or better yet, take a picture of said cart and post photo later so we can see what post Ironmen eat.  (and drink).  Congrats again, Trevor!  Can't wait to read your RR.

No airplanes or computers in Canada.  Sheesh!

2011-08-30 1:12 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco

Saw this post on Trevor's fave triathlete's blog:

http://linseycorbin.com/blog/view/hips-dont-lie

Great reminder to do that Trigger Point and/or foam rolling.  Used my TP ball on glutes and roller on quads last night...and it really loosed up that right quad of mine.  Also did my little clamshells for those hip flexors of mine. 

My bike is officially on it's way to Madison and I got a little flutter of emotion saying "so long, and see you in about a week" to my trusty little Guru.  Smile

2011-08-30 1:30 PM
in reply to: #3665909

User image

kt65 - 2011-08-30 2:05 PM

TrevorC - 2011-08-30 10:47 AM I'm home but no computer. So quick ipad update.....Feeling thrilled,exhausted,sore,overwhelmed,underwhelmed,taped-out, ready for the next one, sad,happy to be at home hanging out with the girls,hungry, feeling better than i had expected. So many emetioms that i never thought i would feel. Little disappointed that i don't feel like i relished the day enough. But sunch good times. I'll be back later on but we need to do some grocery shopping asap.

So happy to hear from you, Champ!  Eat up, but maybe let Michelle choose what to put in the cart...or better yet, take a picture of said cart and post photo later so we can see what post Ironmen eat.  (and drink).  Congrats again, Trevor!  Can't wait to read your RR.

At least they have grocery stores so he doesn't have to go out and bag a moose today!

Congratulations, Trevor! Rest up and don't worry about a thing. Ironman!!

2011-08-30 2:30 PM
in reply to: #3665960

User image

Champion
gotta run - 2011-08-30 1:30 PM
kt65 - 2011-08-30 2:05 PM

At least they have grocery stores so he doesn't have to go out and bag a moose today!

Congratulations, Trevor! Rest up and don't worry about a thing. Ironman!!

Now that's funny!Laughing

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  

of 298