General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mouthpiece Article? I don't believe it Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2009-12-18 6:20 AM
in reply to: #2565091

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Mouthpiece Article? I don't believe it
This is actually interesting. I read an article years ago about super start athletes that relax their jaw, which helps them perform. They talked about Michael Jordan (tongue out) and A-Rod.
I actually clinch my jaw when I am in stressful situations and after I learned to relax it I felt much better (performed better). So if a mouthguard helps to relax the jaw then I can see some benefits to it. Or as someone mentioned if you want to protect your teeth from grinding then there is also a benefit. Not sure if I think it will help you as much as they claim it will though. May be worth a shot if it's cheap enough, but there's no way I'd pay hundreds or thousands on it. Crazy!

2009-12-18 8:35 AM

User image

Fishers, IN
Getting more air and its oxygen into the lungs is not the problem, it is oxygen transport - getting oxygen to diffuse into the blood stream and into the working muscles that is the issue.  The stress aspect likely negligible, placebo effect more likely.  BS
2009-12-18 8:59 AM

Extreme Veteran
West Windsor, NJ
Yeah, I dont think its rocket science that the more relaxed you are, the less needless energy you are using to tense up, and therefore, the more efficient you are going to be swimming/biking/running.

BUT, I would think I can just focus on that aspect myself and work on form, etc. to better that. Its just another aspect of form. How many coaches have told me to "run relaxed"...I learned to do that with lots of practice. I dont think a $1,000 mouthpiece is going to do a ton for me in that regard (and remember..those prices dont include the dentist charge...which can't be cheap OR covered by insurance).

In fact, I might be more tense after shelling out that kind of coin on something stupid

2009-12-18 9:00 AM

New user
Not to support the mouthpieces too much, but taking about the 10 min mile to 8 min mile quote as the amount of gain they are supposed to provide is a little disingenuous by the article's author. The manufacturer is not suggesting that kind of gain. The studies done by Rutgers and the Citadel suggest a much more modest gain of 3%.

Also the mouthpiece isn't to help you breath easier, it (at least the underarmour one) supposedly prevents you from clenching your teeth an act that they say can cause your body to produce cortisol (which they say causes a performance decrease).

Still it's probably bs.
2009-12-18 9:08 AM

User image

Regular
Lafayette, LA
Not sure about all the research, but the New Orleans Saints have switched to these mouthpieces this season. Hard not to agree with the results. GO SAINTS!!!!
2009-12-18 9:10 AM

User image

Expert
Leicester
buy it if you are cash heavy and 

Edited by alex jb 2009-12-18 9:11 AM

(naive.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
naive.jpg (37KB - 17 downloads)

2009-12-18 9:11 AM

User image

I am curious though. I seem to remember in movies, when they have to remove a bullet, the guy will bite down on a stick or piece of cloth or something. That seems to imply by biting down on something you can take more pain.
2009-12-18 9:12 AM

User image

Master
"Depending on how you look at it, there is some truth to the claims"
Nice. Depending on how you look at it, the federal government has not right to tax citizens. That's been working well too.

I think the takeaway is the issue of form. We all know that form is important. This may help improve it. Go figure.

BTW, I think I will get new wheels before I get a mouthgard.

Edited by eliwashere 2009-12-18 9:12 AM
2009-12-18 9:20 AM

User image

Champion
This cortisol claim is ridiculous.  The stress of doing a triathlon, playing football, etc. is far more than clenching your jaw and will produce cortisol as a response no matter what your jaw does.  My guess is that they're pulling the cortisol theory from when it's been shown to happen in nonexercising people and trying to apply it to a new population.

It's like taking sedentary obese rat studies and applying them to exercising humans. 
2009-12-18 12:00 PM

User image

Master
South of SLC
For additional oxygen transport, try EPO...

Mike
2009-12-18 12:45 PM
in reply to: #2566535

New user
I think theirs are getting worn out, as lately they've been looking almost human.

2009-12-18 12:48 PM
in reply to: #2566543

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
a_prl - 2009-12-18 10:11 AM I am curious though. I seem to remember in movies, when they have to remove a bullet, the guy will bite down on a stick or piece of cloth or something. That seems to imply by biting down on something you can take more pain.

That's done to prevent people who are in tremendous pain from breaking their teeth as they clench down.

2009-12-18 3:41 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California

Well, it's not BS...if you're clenching your jaw during competition (or training).

If you are, then you need to understand that there aren't too many simpler, cheaper, ways to improve than relaxation.  You don't need to spend a ridiculous amount of money on a stupid mouthguard to accomplish relaxation of the neck and shoulders, of course.  But there are a ton of runners I see out there struggling because they are tensed up through the neck.  This sort of tension does nothing good for mechanics or breathing and this is something that people studying biomechanics have commented on for over a century (Google "Alexander technique" for instance).  The effect the UnderArmour brochure demonstrates is real enough...just not something a mouthguard is really going to "cure", IMO.  But there are a number of fairly time-tested alignment therapies and training regimens out there that address the issue more broadly and a lot more people might benefit from them than are aware of it.

2009-12-18 5:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kingwood, TX
I am a med rep who sales dental implants and work with a few doctors who offer the UA mouth guard. A couple of days ago I was in one of the doctors offices and we were looking at the UA brochure and he was explaining the science behind the mouth guards to me. Now this guy is one of the top docs in the area and he has a number of patients on the PGA tour, Houston Rockets and Houston Texans who he claims swear by the product. Now maybe at that level of competition even the slightest of gains can be quite beneficial but I still find it hard to believe it would be worth the hundreds of dollars for the average AGer like myself. Just my .02.
2009-12-18 5:51 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

So THAT'S how I can do better without training.

2009-12-18 8:23 PM
in reply to: #2567883

define "top doc(s)" please...........

craig

2009-12-18 8:24 PM
in reply to: #2568061

User image

Champion
craig002 - 2009-12-18 8:23 PM define "top doc(s)" please...........

craig

<-----------------

2009-12-18 8:26 PM
in reply to: #2568063

not quite bro!!!.....as a matter of fact.......not even close.....but nice try..
2009-12-18 8:33 PM
in reply to: #2568067

Effects of mouthpiece use on auditory and visual reaction time in college males and females.

Garner DP, Miskimin J.

Department of Health, Exercise and Sport Science, The Citadel, Charleston, South Carolina, USA.

Studies in exercise science have suggested that the use of a mouthpiece can improve performance, and these improvements may be linked to an enhancement in temporomandibular joint (TMJ) positioning. Studies have suggested that by improving TMJ positioning, there is improved blood flow in the area of the TMJ. Changes in TMJ positioning may be improved with an oral device. The purpose of this study was to determine if there were improvements in auditory and visual reaction time with the use of a boil and bite mouthpiece. Using a BIOPAC system, study participants (N = 34) were asked to respond to an auditory signal during 40 trials. In the visual reaction time test, participants (N = 13) were assessed on how quickly they responded to a computer cue for a total of 30 trials. Auditory results showed a significant improvement with the use of a mouthpiece (241.44 ms) vs without a mouthpiece (249.94 ms). Visual results showed that participants performed slightly better with the mouthpiece (285.55 ms) vs without the mouthpiece (287.55 ms). These findings suggest that the use of mouthpiece positively affects visual and auditory reaction time, which is a vital aspect to optimal sport and exercise performance. Future studies should continue to shed light on possible reasons for the improvements in auditory and visual reaction time with the use of a mouthpeice. In addition, future studies should further illuminate what, if any, connection these improvements have with enhanced TMJ positioning.

Effects of mouthpiece use on airway openings and lactate levels in healthy college males.

Garner DP, McDivitt E.

Department of Health, Exercise and Sport Science, The Citadel, Charleston, South Carolina, USA.

Research has described the use of mouthpieces not only in preventing oral-facial injuries, but linking use to improvements in muscular strength and endurance. However, the mechanisms by which these improvements occur have not been elucidated. The purpose of this study was to understand possible physiological explanations for improvements in exercise performance with the use of a mouthpiece. Specifically, this study focused on differences in lactate levels after 30 minutes of endurance exercise with and without a mouthpiece. In addition, computed tomography (CT) scans were taken of the cross-sectional area of the oropharynx in each participant (N = 10) with and without a mouthpiece. CT scans showed a significant difference in mean width (28.27 mm with the mouthpiece vs 25.93 mm without the mouthpiece, P = .029) and an increase in mean diameter with a mouthpiece (12.17 mm vs 11.21 mm, P = .096). Lactate levels were lowered with the mouthpiece at 1.86 mmol/L vs 2.72 mmol/L without mouthpiece. This research suggests that there is an improvement in endurance performance that may be linked to improved airway openings resulting from the use of a mouthpiece. Future studies should continue to clarify the possible mechanisms for these exercise outcomes as well as to understand the optimal mandibular advancement to elicit these exercise

Influence of custom-made mouth guards on strength, speed and anaerobic performance of taekwondo athletes.

Cetin C, Keçeci AD, Erdogan A, Baydar ML.

Department of Sports Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Suleyman Demirel University, Isparta, Turkey. [email protected]

The purpose of this study was to test the influence of custom-made mouth guards on strength and anaerobic performance of taekwondo athletes. The study included 21 (11 male and 10 female) trained subjects participating in taekwondo. Anaerobic power and anaerobic capacity, isokinetic quadriceps and hamstring strength, handgrip strength, isometric lower extremity and back strength, 20 m sprint time, squat and counter movement jumping height were measured in two randomized conditions: with or without custom-made (CM) mouth guards. No significant differences were observed between the two conditions (with or without CM mouth guards) in 20 m sprint time, jumping tests, handgrip strength, isometric leg or back strength. On the other hand, peak power and average power in Wingate Anaerobic Test and Hamstring Isokinetic Peak Torque significantly increased as a result of wearing mouth guard (P < 0.05). In conclusion, we can suggest that taekwondo athletes can use CM mouth guards without any negative effects on their strength and anaerobic performance

enjoy.....the list goes on

2009-12-18 8:53 PM
in reply to: #2568067

User image

Champion
craig002 - 2009-12-18 8:26 PM not quite bro!!!.....as a matter of fact.......not even close.....but nice try..

LOL.  I'm glad you're so well versed in my professional credentials.

Now where is there a study that shows a demonstrable difference in performance of a sport vs. control? 
2009-12-18 9:57 PM
in reply to: #2568070

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA

Got any that actually show anything meaningful??

Study #1 - small number of participants, no reference to the strength of any statistical relationship between mouthpiece use and improved auditory and visual processing (i.e., no "p-factor" value provided). Not sure how an imvprovement of < 9 milli-second improvement in auditory processing, or 2 second milli-second improvement in visual processing is going to help me in triathlons......

Study #2 - N=10??? REALLY??? p-factor for increased width is okay - p-factor for increased diameter -- not so good (statistical significance is not terribly strong).... no p-factor provided for improved lactate levels. hmmmm - I wonder why not?? (hint - they probably weren't statistically significant!)

Study #3 - Again, small # of study participants, but more importantly, the areas they found improvements in were areas that are GREAT if you're doing Tae Kwon Do, but don't have much bearing on endurance sports.

Bottom line is - I do not clench my jaw when I am running, biking or swimming. Not sure how I could and actually breathe at the same time. I could see where using a mouthguard of some sort might be beneficial for SOME kinds of athletic pursuits, but not so much for triathlon......

2009-12-19 5:40 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
craig002 - 2009-12-18 9:33 PM

... In conclusion, we can suggest that taekwondo athletes can use CM mouth guards without any negative effects on their strength and anaerobic performance

It's interesting how when a company is trying to market a product, they will take a statement like the one from the study you're citing, which basically says it won't hurt you if you use the product, and they twist it into "this product provides benefits."  This seems to be really common in the supplement industry.
2009-12-19 8:46 AM
in reply to: #2568166

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

It must be true, 'cause it's on the internet!

Really, these studies show little if anything.  People from exercise science departments getting their stuff published in dentistry continuing ed mags.  I wonder why...
2009-12-19 8:51 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
From your abstracts (do you have the full articles btw - that would be great ):

Effects of mouthpiece use on auditory and visual reaction time in college males and females.

The conclusion may indicate benefits in anaerobic sport (especially team sport) where response to auditory and visual cues is critical for success.  I would like to see further study to see if there is any statistical signifigance to these findings.

Effects of mouthpiece use on airway openings and lactate levels in healthy college males.

From an endurance standpoint, airway opening is not a performance limiter in heathly athletes so increasing the airway opening is not likley to have benefit.  As far as the lactate level, I would like to see the testing protocol and also what the P value is (the fact that it is not mentioned makes me wonder if the result is actually significant).

Influence of custom-made mouth guards on strength, speed and anaerobic performance of taekwondo athletes.

While this shows a benefit for an anaerobic activity, it again does not suggest a cross over to endurance performance.

You mention that the list goes on; if you have other abstracts (or better yet full articles) I would love to see them to see if there is anything to them.

Shane
2009-12-21 11:47 AM

User image

Expert
SF Bay Area
These kits are great. You already have one. You just have to use it.

http://www.michaelshermer.com/2009/06/baloney-detection-kit/

Not saying the UA thing doesn't work, but at this point, it does not pass the stink test. I don't care if pros are using it or like it. I also don't care if some dentists sell them. They are both logical fallacies (appeal to authority and are therefore irrelevant) and do nothing to prove that these devices are more than placebos.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mouthpiece Article? I don't believe it Rss Feed  

of 3