Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2010-03-09 2:57 PM
in reply to: #2715754

User image

Extreme Veteran
Smyrnasty
Subject: RE: run/walk vs. steady pace

this idea of run/walk is killing me. i'll probably be hung for saying this. but if i have to run/walk in a race especially if i'm planning to run/walk then i don't feel that i was ready for that race distance in the first place. why race a 5k if you can't even complete a 5k in practice. yes your legs gradually get tired but a 30 second walk isn't going to give them some kind of re-charge, IMO. the tiimes that i have walked my legs were still tired when i started back up, they never felt better. that's the reason for a base. you can go longer time wise and farther distance wise without struggle, or the need to walk. now when i do my first HIM and IM will i walk? survey says yes haha. but in my training i will never plan to walk, it just goes against my nature.

and i still can't wrap my head around being faster by stopping. if train A and train B leave the station at 90 MPH and train B makes three stops while Train A continues at 90 mph there is no way Train B will beat train A to the next station.

2010-03-09 3:26 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Run/walk is a fantastic way to build up distance. I used it to start running.  But then the OP talks about pace and frankly when i was starting out and for the first couple of years of running I cared little about pace and focused on building fitness and distance.  Over time I phased it out and now care about pacing.  But especially for beginners and those looking to go to a new distance where pace is not very important it is a really effective tool.

Lots of people use it - i know of 3:30 marathoners who do it.  It does impact pacing when that matters to you but some folks like it and it works for them. Maybe it helps them make a more even effort and not flame out at the end, maybe it just helps mentally get through a distance.   
2010-03-09 3:32 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Guys, if run/walk yielded optimum speed at any distance, the elites would be run/walking.

They aren't...because it doesn't.  (Other than, perhaps, in the exceptional cases covered by the link from Adventure Bear that KathyG provided.)

I used run/walking for months when I got off the couch to regain fitness.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with it.  And it does provide advantages in certain contexts (which have been covered in this thread).  I still walk for active recovery the day after long races or training sessions.

But the meme that there's some sort of inherent physiological speed advantage to run/walking a distance vs. running it is bogus.  Run/walking provides optimum speed at a distance for those who are adapted to run/walking that distance.  For those who have adapted to running that same distance, the point of diminishing returns from extended walk breaks is hit pretty quickly.

Despite what someone implied earlier in the thread, pace doesn't automatically fall off significantly over distance if you are running at a pace you are adapted to for that duration:  My slowest mile in my last marathon was only 5% slower than my fastest (not counting the start and the finish) and was within 4% of my average for the race.  From others I've talked to, that's not unusual...some people negative split their marathons.  Pretty much the same story for the 20+ mile training run I did on Sunday:  Pace was almost constant (sub-4 mary) for 17 miles, falling off less than a minute/mile for two miles, then recovering to my original pace for the remainder.

There's nothing particularly exceptional about me...I was a fat guy on the couch a bit over five years ago...other than that I didn't set out to train to run distance X for race Y by date Z...I just set out to lose weight and gain fitness and that turned from 45-60 min. walks with run breaks into just one mile, then three mile, then five mile, etc., runs...and that eventually led to a marathon.

Some of what keeps people in an endless run/walk routine is that they start out by setting a timeline to cover a certain distance by a certain date that doesn't allow for building adequate run fitness, but does allow for adequate run/walk fitness.  At some point, to transition from run/walk to running only implies stepping down duration and building anew...it seems like there's a reluctance in some cases to "pulling back" in that way.

2010-03-09 4:09 PM
in reply to: #2717039

User image

Regular
CRunner10 - 2010-03-09 2:57 PM

this idea of run/walk is killing me. i'll probably be hung for saying this. but if i have to run/walk in a race especially if i'm planning to run/walk then i don't feel that i was ready for that race distance in the first place. why race a 5k if you can't even complete a 5k in practice. yes your legs gradually get tired but a 30 second walk isn't going to give them some kind of re-charge, IMO. the tiimes that i have walked my legs were still tired when i started back up, they never felt better. that's the reason for a base. you can go longer time wise and farther distance wise without struggle, or the need to walk. now when i do my first HIM and IM will i walk? survey says yes haha. but in my training i will never plan to walk, it just goes against my nature.

and i still can't wrap my head around being faster by stopping. if train A and train B leave the station at 90 MPH and train B makes three stops while Train A continues at 90 mph there is no way Train B will beat train A to the next station.

Humans are not Trains and over a long distance a Human will slow down wearas a train will not.

The big point that Galloway preaches that makes this work is you have to take the walk breaks from the begining.  You can't wait till your 10 miles into the run and get tired then start taking walk breaks.  If the ratio for your Time goal and fitness level is Run/walk 4:1 then you have to take your first 1 minute walk break at that first 4 minits into the run and every 4 minuits after that.  Galloway does say that if at mile 18 to 20 if you feel great then run without breaks from that point on. 
2010-03-09 4:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Oakland, CA
CRunner10 - 2010-03-09 3:57 PM

It seems like the point is that train B would actually be going FASTER to account for the stops (say 93mph) and would get to the finish faster. 

A minimal increase in running pace + some short walk stops = Faster finish time. It's not that hard to step up the pace a little bit, if you know there's a break coming up, right?

At least, that's what I'm reading here. To be honest, I haven't tried this, but I do remember that after the water break in my last tri (where I walked to get my drink) I felt strong and fast for the short bit afterwards. Maybe there is something to this theory...but it's clearly not an excuse to not train.
2010-03-09 4:20 PM
in reply to: #2717221

User image

Extreme Veteran
Smyrnasty
SAWFISH50 - 2010-03-09 4:09 PM
CRunner10 - 2010-03-09 2:57 PM

Humans are not Trains and over a long distance a Human will slow down wearas a train will not.

The big point that Galloway preaches that makes this work is you have to take the walk breaks from the begining.  You can't wait till your 10 miles into the run and get tired then start taking walk breaks.  If the ratio for your Time goal and fitness level is Run/walk 4:1 then you have to take your first 1 minute walk break at that first 4 minits into the run and every 4 minuits after that.  Galloway does say that if at mile 18 to 20 if you feel great then run without breaks from that point on. 

right i know we aren't trains... my point was just that since both humans are going to get tired over the course of the 1/2 Mary for instance. then i think it would be impossible for the run/walker to catch the runner. you would have to make up the time you walked which would mean you would have to run some serious negative splits...but hey at the end of the day we are all in this together. and if the guy next to me chooses to run/walk or chooses to run the whole time, i'm still going to encourage him/her if they are slower than me and hope that they will encourage me if i'm slower than them. the goal is the finish line and if you get there by running, run/walking, doing cartwheels or walking on your hands then by all means do your thing. i race against myself and don't judge anyone else for their preferred method.

happy training!!

2010-03-09 4:30 PM
in reply to: #2717123

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
tcovert - 2010-03-09 2:32 PM

Guys, if run/walk yielded optimum speed at any distance, the elites would be run/walking.

They aren't...because it doesn't.  (Other than, perhaps, in the exceptional cases covered by the link from Adventure Bear that KathyG provided.)

I used run/walking for months when I got off the couch to regain fitness.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with it.  And it does provide advantages in certain contexts (which have been covered in this thread).  I still walk for active recovery the day after long races or training sessions.

But the meme that there's some sort of inherent physiological speed advantage to run/walking a distance vs. running it is bogus.  Run/walking provides optimum speed at a distance for those who are adapted to run/walking that distance.  For those who have adapted to running that same distance, the point of diminishing returns from extended walk breaks is hit pretty quickly.

Despite what someone implied earlier in the thread, pace doesn't automatically fall off significantly over distance if you are running at a pace you are adapted to for that duration:  My slowest mile in my last marathon was only 5% slower than my fastest (not counting the start and the finish) and was within 4% of my average for the race.  From others I've talked to, that's not unusual...some people negative split their marathons.  Pretty much the same story for the 20+ mile training run I did on Sunday:  Pace was almost constant (sub-4 mary) for 17 miles, falling off less than a minute/mile for two miles, then recovering to my original pace for the remainder.

There's nothing particularly exceptional about me...I was a fat guy on the couch a bit over five years ago...other than that I didn't set out to train to run distance X for race Y by date Z...I just set out to lose weight and gain fitness and that turned from 45-60 min. walks with run breaks into just one mile, then three mile, then five mile, etc., runs...and that eventually led to a marathon.

Some of what keeps people in an endless run/walk routine is that they start out by setting a timeline to cover a certain distance by a certain date that doesn't allow for building adequate run fitness, but does allow for adequate run/walk fitness.  At some point, to transition from run/walk to running only implies stepping down duration and building anew...it seems like there's a reluctance in some cases to "pulling back" in that way.

Well said.
I agree that a training protocol that allows someone to build mileage without injury is a real benefit, and if run/walk is the way someone chooses to do it, that's great. I also agree that the idea that it's in general faster isn't true. I also think that many who build mileage using this protocol often could very well adapt to be able to run their full race distance but might not give it a try, which in and of itself is limiting.
And a lot of people run an entire marathon and/or IM run.
2010-03-09 5:10 PM

User image

Veteran

I think there's a similar effect in cycling.  I can go farther and faster riding with my group than solo.  Ok, ok, I know, I'm drafting and it's 20% to 30% easier when I'm "on a wheel", yes, we all get that. 

I don't have a powermeter to prove this, but when I do time trial practice, riding solo, on a flat, loop (half headwind, half tailwind), I can generate X watts over Y minutes.  Or in my imprecise RPE measure, I can pedal hard for an hour, to hour and a half, while using my standard nutrition plan, before I'm "very tired".  Yet, week after week I can go with my group ride for 3 hours (yes, drafting 50% to 70% of the time) riding at a higher average pace, and at the end I'm equally "very tired".  Yes, there are several possible factors why this is not apples to apples -- nutrition, morale (riding with friends is fun), less concern about traffic, etc. 

But the point is, on the group ride I work just a little harder when the group surges, then I "sit in" and recover for a few minutes, then the paceline rotates and I take my turn on the front and work harder for a minute or so, then I rotate to the back and recover for a few minutes.  In these "surge and recover" cycles I believe I'm able to generate more total watts than if I tried to maintain an exact steady pace for the same total time.

I think this is due to the same muscle work/recovery phenomena which the run/walk taps into.

Or maybe it's part muscle and part mental.  We're not good at remembering pain.  And a small pain is forgotten quickly once it's relieved.  We are good at remembering our ambitions and our optimism seems to be self re-newing.  Yet, we loose these thoughts after some period of being in pain.  The mental part may be something like:  as we get tired we begin to notice the pain, which causes us to forget the ambition and clouds our motivation, then we have a walk break, the small pain is relieved, just enough to let the clouds part, and the sunshine of optimism, motivation, enthusiasm to return, then we run again. 

Sorry if this is starting to sound like a zen riddle, I'm thinking it through as I write.  There are many cycles like this in nature, and the older I get the more I "get it".  With respect, CRunner10, I'm guessing you are a strong young man.  I used to be full of ambition too.  I don't claim to have the answers, but with age I'm learning to "go with the flow" anytime it's in my direction.  Surf the waves, ride in the draft, long strides downhills, short strides uphill.

Good Luck!

2010-03-09 5:54 PM

User image

Veteran
CRunner10 - a 30 second walk isn't going to give them some kind of re-charge, IMO. the tiimes that i have walked my legs were still tired when i started back up, they never felt better

That may because your legs were already exhausted.  Deliberate walk breaks from the start of a run are a very different experience.

And while I can't speak first hand about 30 second breaks, I can tell you that one minute walk breaks, when taken from the start of a run, give your body a recharge.

Walk breaks when taken from the beginning do recharge you, So, here's the new analogy.

90 MPH is the fastest speed the train our can keep up consistently.  But with short breaks to cool down at 50MPH, the same train can easily keep up 100MPH when it's really going.

So it comes down to comparing during 90MPH vs. 100MPH with breaks of only going 50MPH.  And I ran the math.  

If the train goes 100MPH for 4 minutes, and slow for 1 minute, it's reaches the destination in the same time as 90MPH continuously.

If the train goes 100MPH for 5 minutes, and slow for 1 minute, then the 4 hour our trip will be reduced by almost 5 minutes.

Does that make sense yet?

in my training i will never plan to walk, it just goes against my nature.

Well, that's your personal issue.  

But if lots of people start being you in your races through taking deliberate walk breaks, you might just want to reconsider.  

2010-03-09 6:18 PM

User image

Master
Westlake Village , Ca.
I can give another example of how it helps...

I'm a slow runner as well...last two 5K's I did, I ended up running along side someone for the majority of the race. Both times the person slowed and walked about 1/2 mile before the finish. Both times the person came sprinting by and beat me by about 20-30 seconds. I did not stop and walk and was unable to bring up the pace to a sprint pace.

That's an extreme example of how someone can stop and walk and finish in a faster time than someone that runs the entire race.
2010-03-09 6:54 PM

Veteran

One thing I am not sure that has been talked about(apologize if it has) is the training effect of a longer long run thru run/walking and the volume built up thru a run/walk program. If someone for instance is able to do a much longer long run each week and definitely more mileage, able to do it with much less chance of injury, over a period of time why would he not be faster? I believe most people can agree with endurance sports the real benefits take time, as in years. Real benefits come with long consistent training and one of the detriments of reaching ones potential is having to take time off due to injury and illness. One thing I have always wondered: Why is it that we take constant breaks for swimming so we can build mileage(especially a sport so easy on the body) not hesitate to stop on long bike rides for breaks(especially when in groups) but it is so "horrible" to walk(not stop) occasionally during a run?

Just for the record: When Paula Newby Fraser set the Hawaii Ironman record 8:55(before Crissie broke it last year), she WALKED ALL  the water stops along the course. :-)

2010-03-09 7:01 PM

User image

Master
Central Indiana
It seems no one is arguing the run/walk benefit for the relatively unfit (e.g. me), however the converse that elites must ALWAYS be faster running does not logically follow.  Just because many top ironman finishers run their marathon portions below a given time does NOT automatically mean they could not improve that time if they changed their strategy (or that some might not already be doing strategic run:walk).  Top European pro cyclists commonly shift body positions (e.g. for-aft on seat) & briefly stop pedaling- even during solo break-aways or time trials on long stretches on flat, straight road.  This might distribute the pedaling power recruitment from slightly different muscle groups as well as provide brief "microrests" for the muscles allowing for better overall performance.  Could the same work for running????  It MIGHT be possible that alternating run/walks MIGHT allow a given athlete to improve long distance run performance IF the run episodes were slightly faster than their 'continuous run' pace and the walk periods were not too much slower (e.g. at elite race-walker pace). Don't know of any research on this, just saying there could be some logic to an elite using a run:walk strategy. 

2010-03-09 7:02 PM

User image

Champion
MA
I can't believe some of you are saying fast folks don't run/walk. How do you know? Just because you think they don't doesn't make it so. 

I see the same type of thinking as bike gearing in this argument..I'm a stud so I ride a standard 11-23 even when maybe a different cassette might help keep your watts more level climbing a hill..here it is I run/walk so I'm a failure as I didn't run the run. Isn't the goal to cross the finish line within the rules as fast as possible?

Did you listen to podcast or read the link?  Lots of fast folks run/walk IM run.

I'm not fast I know that but run/walk allows me to be faster than just straight out running.

My coach from last year had 5-6 KQ guys/gals he coached and all ran/walk to their KQ last  year.
2010-03-09 8:07 PM
in reply to: #2717461

User image

Master
Saratoga Springs, Utah
KathyG - 2010-03-09 6:02 PM I can't believe some of you are saying fast folks don't run/walk. How do you know? Just because you think they don't doesn't make it so. 

I see the same type of thinking as bike gearing in this argument..I'm a stud so I ride a standard 11-23 even when maybe a different cassette might help keep your watts more level climbing a hill..here it is I run/walk so I'm a failure as I didn't run the run. Isn't the goal to cross the finish line within the rules as fast as possible?

Did you listen to podcast or read the link?  Lots of fast folks run/walk IM run.

I'm not fast I know that but run/walk allows me to be faster than just straight out running.

My coach from last year had 5-6 KQ guys/gals he coached and all ran/walk to their KQ last  year.

This all depends on what you think is fast.
2010-03-09 8:25 PM

I for one am glad you guys are having this discussion. I've always been one to feel like I've failed in a distance if I stop to walk, but realize that's just some self-imposed deal I've made up in my head. Others don't help the situation either. Someone asks how far did you run today, I say, "Seven miles." Many times, the next question is, "Did you run the whole way, or stop and walk?" I shouldn't let that make a difference.
And thanks for sharing the articles/research. Certainly something to think about as I work my running distance upward gradually. Don't stop now. Let's hear some more good points from both "sides."
2010-03-09 8:32 PM
in reply to: #2717313

User image

AtlantaBill - 2010-03-09 1:10 PM

I think there's a similar effect in cycling.  I can go farther and faster riding with my group than solo.  Ok, ok, I know, I'm drafting and it's 20% to 30% easier when I'm "on a wheel", yes, we all get that. 

I don't have a powermeter to prove this, but when I do time trial practice, riding solo, on a flat, loop (half headwind, half tailwind), I can generate X watts over Y minutes.  Or in my imprecise RPE measure, I can pedal hard for an hour, to hour and a half, while using my standard nutrition plan, before I'm "very tired".  Yet, week after week I can go with my group ride for 3 hours (yes, drafting 50% to 70% of the time) riding at a higher average pace, and at the end I'm equally "very tired".  Yes, there are several possible factors why this is not apples to apples -- nutrition, morale (riding with friends is fun), less concern about traffic, etc. 

But the point is, on the group ride I work just a little harder when the group surges, then I "sit in" and recover for a few minutes, then the paceline rotates and I take my turn on the front and work harder for a minute or so, then I rotate to the back and recover for a few minutes.  In these "surge and recover" cycles I believe I'm able to generate more total watts than if I tried to maintain an exact steady pace for the same total time.

I think this is due to the same muscle work/recovery phenomena which the run/walk taps into.

Or maybe it's part muscle and part mental.  We're not good at remembering pain.  And a small pain is forgotten quickly once it's relieved.  We are good at remembering our ambitions and our optimism seems to be self re-newing.  Yet, we loose these thoughts after some period of being in pain.  The mental part may be something like:  as we get tired we begin to notice the pain, which causes us to forget the ambition and clouds our motivation, then we have a walk break, the small pain is relieved, just enough to let the clouds part, and the sunshine of optimism, motivation, enthusiasm to return, then we run again. 

Sorry if this is starting to sound like a zen riddle, I'm thinking it through as I write.  There are many cycles like this in nature, and the older I get the more I "get it".  With respect, CRunner10, I'm guessing you are a strong young man.  I used to be full of ambition too.  I don't claim to have the answers, but with age I'm learning to "go with the flow" anytime it's in my direction.  Surf the waves, ride in the draft, long strides downhills, short strides uphill.

Good Luck!

oops...replied to the wrong message

Edited by tri808 2010-03-09 8:36 PM

2010-03-09 8:37 PM
in reply to: #2717251

User image

bryancd - 2010-03-09 12:30 PM
tcovert - 2010-03-09 2:32 PM Guys, if run/walk yielded optimum speed at any distance, the elites would be run/walking.

Well said. I agree that a training protocol that allows someone to build mileage without injury is a real benefit, and if run/walk is the way someone chooses to do it, that's great. I also agree that the idea that it's in general faster isn't true. I also think that many who build mileage using this protocol often could very well adapt to be able to run their full race distance but might not give it a try, which in and of itself is limiting. And a lot of people run an entire marathon and/or IM run.

x3

I think it all has to do with training.  Many people who attempt marathons or HIMs or IMs do not have adequete time to train to allow themselves to run the entire distance.  Thus a run/walk plan is going to yield them better times than if they tried to run at the whole distance at a slower pace.  Each individual is different.  Some people may need to run/walk a 5k to yield a better time because they are out of shape...more power to them.  But I'm not going to PR a 5k with walk break...it's just not possible.  But if and when I do attempt an IM, it may be beneficial to me to run/walk the marathon portion.  For athletes better trained than me, it may be more beneficial for them to run the entire distance.

The fact that the elites don't use walk breaks as a part of their race strategy tells me that running is the ideal way to get to the finish line faster.  But I'm realistic enough to know that my TRAINING is nowhere near their levels...so at a certain point, I cannot follow their race strategy...I have to follow a strategy that is fastest for me.
2010-03-09 8:53 PM
in reply to: #2717313

User image

Master
AtlantaBill - 2010-03-09 6:10 PM

Good Luck!

I know is a tangent.. but I am not sure what you are talking about with "total watts" .. in power there are many measurements but no total watts.. there is Work which is in kilojoules. There is average power and normalized power which are both measured in watts but it is an average over the duration of the effort.

What is interesting is that power and harder efforts goes counter to the run/walk method as an analogy. If you take average power which is just the straight average of power for the entire ride, and then there is normalized power which is an algorithm that quantifies the physiological impact of the training/racing session. As it turns out the function to quantify blood lactate levels to power levels is power to the 4th power. anyway .. to put this into real numbers if you ride 60 minutes at 200 watts the entire time or average power and normalized power will both be 200 watts. Now if you do that same ride at 100watts for 10 minutes then 300watts for 10 minutes then 100, 300 .. for the 60 minutes your average power is 200 watts but your normalized power is 253 watts.  So in this case the effort is much harder on the body, not easier.  
2010-03-09 8:57 PM

User image

Master
my post above leads to the question why do coaches/running professionals such as galloway propose/encourage run/walk, but on the bike for endurance events they state that you want to keep your effort as even as possible with a VI of 1 being ideal (This means your normalized power and average power are equal) aka no surging, even effort. You will never hear a coach tell you "for your bike leg i want you to go harder for 9 minutes easy for 1 minute"

Edited by FeltonR.Nubbinsworth 2010-03-09 9:00 PM
2010-03-09 9:21 PM
in reply to: #2717642

User image

Master
St. Louis
FeltonR.Nubbinsworth - 2010-03-09 8:53 PM
What is interesting is that power and harder efforts goes counter to the run/walk method as an analogy. If you take average power which is just the straight average of power for the entire ride, and then there is normalized power which is an algorithm that quantifies the physiological impact of the training/racing session. As it turns out the function to quantify blood lactate levels to power levels is power to the 4th power. anyway .. to put this into real numbers if you ride 60 minutes at 200 watts the entire time or average power and normalized power will both be 200 watts. Now if you do that same ride at 100watts for 10 minutes then 300watts for 10 minutes then 100, 300 .. for the 60 minutes your average power is 200 watts but your normalized power is 253 watts.  So in this case the effort is much harder on the body, not easier.  

Being in the utility industry, a common measure of power, besides total for the month, is peak demand.  They measure the amount of energy used over every 15 minute interval and save the peak amount used over a month for billing certain accounts.  This encourages consumers to keep their energy usage constant and not have big spikes.  Big spikes put a strain on the power system, whether it is the grid or the body.
2010-03-09 10:39 PM
in reply to: #2717572

User image

Champion
MA
gerald12 - 2010-03-09 9:07 PM
KathyG - 2010-03-09 6:02 PM I can't believe some of you are saying fast folks don't run/walk. How do you know? Just because you think they don't doesn't make it so. 

I think the folks my coach helped KQ are fast and they run walked...most are under 10 hour guys or little slower for women. I think most of us here would agree if you KQ in normal AG you are fast. 

2010-03-09 10:53 PM
in reply to: #2717647

User image

Veteran
FeltonR.Nubbinsworth - my post above leads to the question why do coaches/running professionals such as galloway propose/encourage run/walk, but on the bike for endurance events they state that you want to keep your effort as even as possible with a VI of 1 being ideal (This means your normalized power and average power are equal) aka no surging, even effort. You will never hear a coach tell you "for your bike leg i want you to go harder for 9 minutes easy for 1 minute"

A very interesting question.  I don't have an answer for you.

But generally speaking an athlete's maximum achievable HR is about 15 beats higher when running vs. cycling.  So, pretty clearly there are fundamental differences between how our bodies handle the two sports.

"There is an apparent difference between cycling and running heart rates," Monty writes. "Do you notice when you go out for and hour run at 85% of your max it is just a good hard run, but when you try to ride at 85% you can last for about 10 minutes? Back in the old days we all just figured that that was the way it was, so what are you going to do?"

http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/coachcorn/cyclingrate.html

He goes on to argue that with _enough_ strength training, it might be possible to reach an equal HR cycling to what you do while running, but clearly that's not typical.
2010-03-09 10:54 PM
in reply to: #2717642

User image

Master
Central Indiana

I've never been convinced of this single notion of "normalized power".   Studies finding better performance at same (or lower) lactate levels with active vs passive (zero watts) recovery between efforts of the same maximal intensity would argue against the unified normalized power concept (e.g. Connolly DAJ, et al. J Sports Sci Medicine 2:47-51,2003.). And according to most recent scientific publications in the field there is no direct relation (4th power or not) between lactate levels and muscle performance in humans, particularly for varying intensities of muscle work.  In fact, many now feel it is not lactate but exercise-induced muscle acidosis  which is mainly responsible for muscle fatigue & performance decrement. 

http://advan.physiology.org/cgi/reprint/33/4/302  (Is lactate production related to muscle fatigue?)
http://ajpregu.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/287/3/R502 

Edited by Oldteen 2010-03-09 10:57 PM
2010-03-09 11:22 PM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
It seems to me that Jeff Galloway's study of a large number of runners would bear quite a weight on this subject. It is my understanding that his method of walking/running is primerily recommended for long distance beginners who would substantially slow down towards the end of the race to the point of walking. Trying for PR on 5k or 10k distance is not what he's talking about.
He includes a ratio table and if you can run at 7m/mile - it's basically not for you! 
I have applied his method myself and can only confirm the conclusions.
However, try to do that walking/running from the beginningof the race when you're among 40 000 other runners! You would be trampled over and then (if you survived) you'd be running into other people's backs. Another drawback is that, if you're running a marathon say in 5hrs - it's 5hrs of constantly looking at your watch and that can take most of the  fun out of the race.
But I'm still a follower.
2010-03-09 11:29 PM
in reply to: #2717773

User image

Master
Saratoga Springs, Utah
KathyG - 2010-03-09 9:39 PM
gerald12 - 2010-03-09 9:07 PM

I think the folks my coach helped KQ are fast and they run walked...most are under 10 hour guys or little slower for women. I think most of us here would agree if you KQ in normal AG you are fast. 

I don't think sub 10 hour people do a lot of walking. Thats part of the reason they went under 10. They may walk the aid stations for a short period but that is about it for most.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » run/walk vs. steady pace Rss Feed  

of 6