General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What do you think about beer as an "after"? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2013-06-13 9:06 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Ohio
Subject: RE: What do you think about beer as an "after"?
My coach sent me an article about a study done by the American Athletic Institute regarding alcohol and drugs. They found that hormones are diminished for up to 96 hours after drinking, which affects many things such as muscle growth and repair, mental toughness, pain tolerance, fatigue perception, training effect and recovery.
They also conducted a muscle biopsy, recording levels of 12 different enzymes, and found that after 2 weeks of quality training 10 of the 12 enzymes had risen in level as expected. They did the same study on the same person afterward but had the individual drink once each week and found that 9 of the 12 had actually decreased in level and some went back to where they originally were before the training (showing that drinking had basically negated 2 weeks of training).
There was also another study showing that drinking almost doubles the rate of injury.
All these tests were performed on Olympic-caliber athletes, so their effects could be even worse on the average person.

Just a few reasons I'm avoiding it (as much as possible) for my IM training.

2013-06-13 9:51 AM
in reply to: Riblet21

User image

I read a study last year that found that Dark beers, in moderation, can aid in muscle recovery after a workout. Nothing of great significance in recovery, but that's enough for me to give it a try.
2013-06-13 10:14 AM
in reply to: Goosedog

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by Goosedog The answer is IPA. Founders, Stone, Lagunitas, Bells, Dogfish, Avery and/or Birdsong (local, awesome!).

The answer is indeed IPA!

So far my "after race" tradition has been Racer 5 IPA.

2013-06-13 10:15 AM
in reply to: Goosedog

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Originally posted by Goosedog

The answer is IPA. Founders, Stone, Lagunitas, Bells, Dogfish, Avery and/or Birdsong (local, awesome!).

I live 15 minutes from Founders. I've been known to enjoy more than one All Day IPA or Centennial IPA. I've also had quite a few Dirty Bastards after a ride or run. Powerful stuff. The only problem is that if I use it as a recovery (mentally, at least), I will generally need to physically recover the next day! haha
2013-06-13 10:18 AM
in reply to: Swimbikeron

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Originally posted by Swimbikeron

Everything in moderation...
After a race, I like a:

1. New Glarus Spotted Cow
2. Blue Moon
3. Whatever is free or cold
Those Spotted Cows will tear up your system if you have more than a couple. Come on, pasteurize!
2013-06-13 10:23 AM
in reply to: erik.norgaard

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by erik.norgaard
Originally posted by VGT
Originally posted by erik.norgaard I must admit that I'm a bit offended when races have breweries sponsoring the event, I think that alcohol shouldn't be linked with sports.
Why not? I find that to be a little absurd. We're adults, and we train extremely hard and balance life in the process. To suggest that we cannot also responsibly consume alcohol is a bit short-sighted.
OK, I'm European, we have different view of nudging over here. But: It's not just about you having a beer after a race, there's a difference between having it for you to buy in the bar and sponsoring a sports event. It's about associating sports, exercise, active and healthy lifestyle with alcohol. It sends a signal to the next generation that drinking is part of a healthy lifestyle. It is not. IMHO, breweries should let their alcohol free beers sponsor these events to promote these alternatives.

Super interesting perspective.

All though I disagree with the bolded. Responsible drinking can very much be part of a healthy lifestyle. 

Do you also disagree with companies like Taco Bell sponsoring events? They were the main sponsor for the half marathon I ran last month. While I found it slightly amusing to see the Taco Bell logo on the mile markers (at a race called Prairie Fire Marathon, oh the irony!), I also realize it's not mandatory that I consume it. Just like beer sponsorship - it's not like they're forcing you to drink it and it being the only hydration available. Personaly choices/responsibility, risk vs. reward, etc. etc. etc. 

2013-06-13 10:24 AM
in reply to: jeetkevdo

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy is a nice refresher.
2013-06-13 10:30 AM

User image

Indian Hills, CO
It sends a signal to the next generation that drinking is part of a healthy lifestyle. It is not.

I disagree with this 100%
2013-06-13 10:41 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

While I don't drink beer (I know, I know, I'm a bad Canadian) - I really like a nice g&t in the summer, or a glass of wine in the winter after training. 

2013-06-13 10:41 AM
in reply to: cnsegura

Originally posted by cnsegura

Add me to the Yes demographic. I'm just now starting to get into home brewing so I imagine there will be a fair amount of experimenting with what beer is best for recovery and as a pre-race boost (I have a feeling that last one will take some time)

Homebrewing for 4 years now and be careful the hobby is just as addicting as tri !! They are both rewarding in their own way.
2013-06-13 10:42 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Beer is good...

It's not like its a regular practice, but I do enjoy a nice cold one after a strenuous workout while floating around in the backyard pool for my cool off period!

Best post race party I've ever been a part of is the Boilermaker 15k in Utica NY.  The finish and after race concert with food and beer is at Matts Brewery.

2013-06-13 10:48 AM
in reply to: indianhillsted

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
I like the beer after a race, or on the weekend. I have found that with my increase in training I can't hold my liquor at all any more. I usually don't drink during the week, but will have a brew or two on Friday or Saturday night (or both!).

The key is moderation as with most things in life, I don't get smashed anymore like I did in college, although I have been known to enjoy a few extra pints on special occasions .

I find it great motivation if I know there is a cold, delicious beer waiting for me at the finish line.
2013-06-13 10:49 AM
in reply to: indianhillsted

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I'll have a couple of glasses of red wine with dinner during the week. 

If I drink beer it's on Friday evenings when we normally go out to end the work week.  I'll have two or three Michelob Ultras, depending on what I'm having for dinner.

I don't look at alcohol as a "recovery drink" per se (that's what low-fat chocolate milk is for...Smile), but more as a reward or way to make life a bit more enjoyable.

Mark

2013-06-13 10:51 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Riley, Kansas
Not much of a beer fan, but I love hard cider! A hard cider after a race or long training day is my favorite reward
2013-06-13 10:57 AM
in reply to: jeetkevdo

I luv a good thread recovery drink beer.
2013-06-13 11:23 AM

User image

Canyon, Texas

Originally posted by VGT

I must admit that I'm a bit offended when races have breweries sponsoring the event, I think that alcohol shouldn't be linked with sports.

Why not? I find that to be a little absurd. We're adults, and we train extremely hard and balance life in the process. To suggest that we cannot also responsibly consume alcohol is a bit short-sighted.

OK, I'm European, we have different view of nudging over here.

But: It's not just about you having a beer after a race, there's a difference between having it for you to buy in the bar and sponsoring a sports event. It's about associating sports, exercise, active and healthy lifestyle with alcohol. It sends a signal to the next generation that drinking is part of a healthy lifestyle. It is not.

IMHO, breweries should let their alcohol free beers sponsor these events to promote these alternatives.

Does Jager count? Just kidding. Alcohol still dehydrates the body right? Personally, with the exception of an occasional Bloody Mary with dinner I do not drink at all because of the negative health and lifestyle consequences.

I don't see many alcoholics succeeding in life, much less athletics, so yes I agree with Erik, I think it sends a bad message. Alcohol ruins many lives, folks. I think the difference between beer sponsors and Taco Bell is that a Nachos Bell Grande does not carry endless legislation regulating its distribution and consumption, nor the criminal liabilities and negative social sanctions involved in irresponsible product usage.

2013-06-13 11:26 AM
in reply to: tlancer23

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by tlancer23
Originally posted by VGT
Originally posted by erik.norgaard I must admit that I'm a bit offended when races have breweries sponsoring the event, I think that alcohol shouldn't be linked with sports.
OK, I'm European, we have different view of nudging over here. But: It's not just about you having a beer after a race, there's a difference between having it for you to buy in the bar and sponsoring a sports event. It's about associating sports, exercise, active and healthy lifestyle with alcohol. It sends a signal to the next generation that drinking is part of a healthy lifestyle. It is not. IMHO, breweries should let their alcohol free beers sponsor these events to promote these alternatives.
Does Jager count? Just kidding. Alcohol still dehydrates the body right? Personally, with the exception of an occasional Bloody Mary with dinner I do not drink at all because of the negative health and lifestyle consequences. I don't see many alcoholics succeeding in life, much less athletics, so yes I agree with Erik, I think it sends a bad message. Alcohol ruins many lives, folks. I think the difference between beer sponsors and Taco Bell is that a Nachos Bell Grande does not carry endless legislation regulating its distribution and consumption, nor the criminal liabilities and negative social sanctions involved in irresponsible product usage.

uhhhh....there are lots of people that have a beer after a run that aren't alcoholics.  what a broad brush we have.

2013-06-13 11:33 AM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Originally posted by VGT

I must admit that I'm a bit offended when races have breweries sponsoring the event, I think that alcohol shouldn't be linked with sports.

OK, I'm European, we have different view of nudging over here.

But: It's not just about you having a beer after a race, there's a difference between having it for you to buy in the bar and sponsoring a sports event. It's about associating sports, exercise, active and healthy lifestyle with alcohol. It sends a signal to the next generation that drinking is part of a healthy lifestyle. It is not.

IMHO, breweries should let their alcohol free beers sponsor these events to promote these alternatives.

I think the difference between beer sponsors and Taco Bell is that a Nachos Bell Grande does not carry endless legislation regulating its distribution and consumption, nor the criminal liabilities and negative social sanctions involved in irresponsible product usage.

True but perhaps it should be, at least judging by what I see walking in and out of Taco Bell That's half sarcastic, three quarters serious.
2013-06-13 11:33 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Canyon, Texas
Originally posted by mehaner

Originally posted by VGT
Does Jager count? Just kidding. Alcohol still dehydrates the body right? Personally, with the exception of an occasional Bloody Mary with dinner I do not drink at all because of the negative health and lifestyle consequences. I don't see many alcoholics succeeding in life, much less athletics, so yes I agree with Erik, I think it sends a bad message. Alcohol ruins many lives, folks. I think the difference between beer sponsors and Taco Bell is that a Nachos Bell Grande does not carry endless legislation regulating its distribution and consumption, nor the criminal liabilities and negative social sanctions involved in irresponsible product usage.

uhhhh....there are lots of people that have a beer after a run that aren't alcoholics.  what a broad brush we have.

You are the one making the assumption that a beer equates to an alcoholic, not me. No need to feel defensive... unless you consider yourself an alcoholic.
2013-06-13 11:34 AM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Originally posted by VGT

You are the one making the assumption that a beer equates to an alcoholic, not me. No need to feel defensive... unless you consider yourself an alcoholic.

That's the way a newb makes friends...bravo!
2013-06-13 11:37 AM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

Originally posted by VGT

Owwwwch.  That seems a bit harsh.

2013-06-13 11:39 AM
in reply to: Riblet21

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by Riblet21 My coach sent me an article about a study done by the American Athletic Institute regarding alcohol and drugs. They found that hormones are diminished for up to 96 hours after drinking, which affects many things such as muscle growth and repair, mental toughness, pain tolerance, fatigue perception, training effect and recovery. They also conducted a muscle biopsy, recording levels of 12 different enzymes, and found that after 2 weeks of quality training 10 of the 12 enzymes had risen in level as expected. They did the same study on the same person afterward but had the individual drink once each week and found that 9 of the 12 had actually decreased in level and some went back to where they originally were before the training (showing that drinking had basically negated 2 weeks of training). There was also another study showing that drinking almost doubles the rate of injury. All these tests were performed on Olympic-caliber athletes, so their effects could be even worse on the average person. Just a few reasons I'm avoiding it (as much as possible) for my IM training. ;)

Do you have a link to the original article?

2013-06-13 11:39 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by VGT

Sorry but your quote (bolded) jumped from having one drink to alcoholism. The way I read it, you were the one who made that connection.

2013-06-13 11:41 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

New user
South Central PA
There was a 2007 spanish study that showed that beer was "slightly better" at hydrating you than water after strenuous exercise.

Here's Steve Edward's thoughts on that--> http://steve-edwards.blogspot.com/2011/08/is-beer-really-better-tha...

I used to work right next to the Troeg's brewery before they moved. Luckily they didn't move too far.
2013-06-13 11:44 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by VGT

Sorry but your quote (bolded) jumped from having one drink to alcoholism. The way I read it, you were the one who made that connection.

thanks - i knew i wasn't crazy.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What do you think about beer as an "after"? Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

thinking of doing my half need advice

Started by kan7829
Views: 756 Posts: 5

2011-05-11 9:18 AM pharmacist25

Anyone doing/done the Santa Rosa Island Tri or Destin Crab Trap Tri

Started by pilotzs
Views: 1672 Posts: 5

2013-05-28 5:00 PM tacetman

Thinking of doing an Exterra Sprint Tri in Vegas

Started by kmodzel
Views: 1363 Posts: 5

2009-04-06 5:07 AM kmodzel

Thinking about doing my first TRI - thoughts/help?

Started by muzzo
Views: 1218 Posts: 12

2008-03-19 9:47 PM browntown

Thinking of doing 1 or 2 5k runs in July

Started by EABonney
Views: 1312 Posts: 7

2007-05-21 10:06 AM EABonney
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.
date : December 24, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on indoor cycling drills such as one legged drills and power intervals. Also we discuss how many half Ironman races should be done before your first full Ironman.

date : October 7, 2008
author : Coach AJ
I'm going to let you in on how to get faster by doing nothing. Well, not exactly nothing, but you won't have to raise your heart rate, put out 300 watts, or really even break a sweat.
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"