General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Full Vineman Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2013-06-22 10:23 PM
in reply to: akrenik

User image

Expert
Salem
Subject: RE: Full Vineman Triathlon : Official Thread
Looks like everyone was doing long rides today. Way to get it done everyone. Me too. 4 hrs and 20 min on the road and 1 hr and 10 min on the trainer to finish it off. 85 miles total. Hit some big hills in the middle of my ride. Slowed my ave. down sign. Was shooting for 16 and came in at 15.5. I stopped a number of times to get water and mix my Perpetumn. No run this evening. I have a 2:30 to do tomorrow. My left heel on the inside is acting up. Has been sore in the morning but usually goes away as the day goes on. Man my butt was sore. I need to get some riding partners these last two rides.

I am going to freeze my special needs bottle of Perpetumn. I heard people freezing the bottle and also wetting a wash rag and wrapping the bottle so it freezes to the bottle as well. I purchased some Pearl Izumi sun sleeve to use for the bike and run. I hope to buy a sleeved Tri top to wear on the run as well as compression shorts or tri shorts. I do not want to burn.

I should be pulling into Windsor on Thursday afternoon. I'd go for Thursday evening or even Friday morning for breakfast.

I haven't heard back from BT on the Tattos if he is going to send them for free or if I have to buy them. I'll let you know.

2013-06-23 8:57 PM
in reply to: TriGuyBri

User image

Expert
Salem
Hard long run this afternoon. Took a hilly route. Had to walk half way through. My knee began to act up due to all the downhill running. I was able to walk it out and continue on. A car buzzed me pretty close. Scared the double toothpicks out of me. Won't go that way again. No kindness out on the road on that route.
2013-06-23 9:46 PM

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
I GOT 90 MILE ON BIKE DONE TODAY! I'm so excited!!! That is the farthest I have ever ridden. I was a head case about halfway through and ready to throw in the towel for this whole vineman madness but I pulled through! Yay! Now I'm saying f-it if I don't make the time cutoff. I'm going to finish this damn race no matter what! There may not be a medal there for me at the end but I will carry the accomplishment with me more than a dumb piece of metal. Woo hoo!
2013-06-23 9:52 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Bri I think we are on the same plan, haha! I think we had almost the exact same weekend, outdoor/indoor ride and all.
akrenik YESSS! I love it!

As for me, I FINALLY FINALLY FINALLYYYYYYY had a great long run. 14.20 miles at just over an 11 min/mile pace - minimal walking. 94 degrees at the start (88 when I finished), wore my Cool Wings and tried to keep them wet. Drank ~100 oz of water. Everything felt great, this was exactly what I needed. 

Two more big weeks, guys! We got this!

2013-06-24 11:53 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Expert
Littleton, Colorado

My weekend was a bit different, as I raced an Olympic aquabike on Saturday (set new PRs on the swim and bike for that course!), and then had a 3 hour hilly ride yesterday.  The bike is coming around!

I still don't know if I will be able to run the marathon.  My hip isn't painful anymore, now it is just tight, but it affects my form, and I'm afraid if I push it, it will revert to pain.  I'll get through it, but probably not in the time I had originally hoped. 

More dry needling tomorrow, and an attempt to run on Wednesday.  Fingers crossed for continued improvement!

2013-06-24 1:56 PM
in reply to: swgtri

User image

Expert
Salem
I suspect that walking will be a part of my run especially towards the end. I have been practicing my pacing for longer walking just in case. I haven't ever gone beyond 16 miles running.

2013-06-24 4:43 PM

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
Originally posted by TriGuyBri

I suspect that walking will be a part of my run especially towards the end. I have been practicing my pacing for longer walking just in case. I haven't ever gone beyond 16 miles running.

I am expecting the same. Worst case scenario I am going to adopt my mom's 1 min run 1 min walk. It got her through her first marathon this year.

Can you believe we only have 5 weeks left?! I am most excited to have only one 6+ hour bike ride and one 3+ hour run. Woo hoo!
2013-06-24 11:44 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
How long did it take her to finish her marathon using the 1/1?

I spent the evening putting on my shimano 105 Groupset. Already had the crank and brakes on. Needed to get my shifters on and front and rear derailleurs on. Also have a couple of new 10 Spd cassettes to get changed over. Have one done. Need to get this completed so I can practice using the new shifters. Quite a bit different than my Sora Groupset. The interesting part will be dialing in the derailleurs.

2013-06-26 9:24 AM

User image

Expert
Salem
I have the opportunity to beat my previous months swim, bike and run total mileage if all goes as planned. Run is already passed. Two more long rides. Time to get nutrition and apparel nailed down.

My wife has been after me to order more bulk than buying individual packets of Perpetumn. This stuff is getting to be expensive and We haven't even got to the Expo. : )

Swam last night and had to cut it short. Kind of got the shakes. Felt weak. I ran on the treadmill before for an hour. Had a Gel afterwards. Probably my great nutrition I had during the day. Not much for substance.

Keep at it folks. We are getting near Go Day!
2013-06-26 9:27 PM

User image

Good job Bri! I want to keep track of my mileage but I've been taking too much time off recently >< I haven't tried Perpetumn before and think it may be too late now. I've been perfect line with gels except for my run Sunday since I ended up throwing away my last packet on the run, which was almost full, since I couldn't stomach it for some reason. How do you like it? This is not the time for my body to all of a sudden tell me it can't handle Gus anymore.

Training log so far: Saturday's bike sucked due to heat and wind. Sunday I ran 18 miles and wanted to walk at mile 4. I haven't had that feeling in a long time. It was a good experience though since I did walk a little bit and wanted to quit but I kept at it, which is exactly how I need to think during the race. My shoes were soaked and making a squishy sound as I ran. Not the best feeling. Swam last night (slow as ever), and tried to do run intervals and I had to run one short interval short since I couldn't keep it up. Doh... Got on bike tonight but quit 15 minutes into it since my knees felt like I was about in injure them. I'm definitely feeling the tiredness/soreness this week. Before, I'd get my 4-5 hours of sleep and I'd feel fine and ready to start anew. Now my legs are telling me "no more!". Keep telling myself just 2 more weeks and then my sweet savory taper will be here at last! Oh how I want that taper! Are you guys going to "cheat" during the 4th holiday? I think my gym's closed, so no swimming for me for 1-2 days (need to double check) but at least I should have ample time to do my other workouts.
2013-06-26 9:37 PM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Oh quick for people who've done this:

Are there showers near the finish line or in the school we can use? I'm sort of hoping no friends or family members show up since I want to rest, eat, shower, and then cheer people on until the very end (making sure I can get on a shuttle of course though). Taking a shower would liven me up a little bit instead of sitting there in nasty cloths.

2013-06-26 11:27 PM

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
Brian-doing 1 min walk 1 min run took her 7 hrs 14 min. But she stopped at a couple aid stations too.

Blastman- I hear you about longing for taper! I have 18 hours of training this week and it is a wonderful rest week next week of only 10 hours. Yay! That's so cool that you want to stay and cheer to the end! If am strong enough to finish before 11 I totally want to stay and cheer for the final people crossing the line! As for the 4th I will be running in a local 5k and then we spend the rest of the day cruising on our beach cruisers. Kind of a cross training day.

2013-06-26 11:40 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
Originally posted by Blastman

Good job Bri! I want to keep track of my mileage but I've been taking too much time off recently >< I haven't tried Perpetumn before and think it may be too late now. I've been perfect line with gels except for my run Sunday since I ended up throwing away my last packet on the run, which was almost full, since I couldn't stomach it for some reason. How do you like it? This is not the time for my body to all of a sudden tell me it can't handle Gus anymore.

I like the strawberry Perpetumn the best, but it is hard to find here; places are always out. I plan to order a 16 serving canister this weekend as well ordering Endurolytes and a jar of tropical gel. The perp. Is better when it is real cold, but I can stomach it either way.

Blastman I'll be seeing you at the end because I am shooting for just under 15 hrs. But will accept just finishing.
2013-06-26 11:43 PM
in reply to: swgtri

User image

Expert
Salem
Originally posted by swgtri

My weekend was a bit different, as I raced an Olympic aquabike on Saturday (set new PRs on the swim and bike for that course!), and then had a 3 hour hilly ride yesterday.  The bike is coming around!

I still don't know if I will be able to run the marathon.  My hip isn't painful anymore, now it is just tight, but it affects my form, and I'm afraid if I push it, it will revert to pain.  I'll get through it, but probably not in the time I had originally hoped. 

More dry needling tomorrow, and an attempt to run on Wednesday.  Fingers crossed for continued improvement!

Walking gets you to the same place as everyone else, across the finish line. It just might take a little longer. Hope you get to feeling better.
2013-06-27 8:30 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Blastman Oh quick for people who've done this: Are there showers near the finish line or in the school we can use? I'm sort of hoping no friends or family members show up since I want to rest, eat, shower, and then cheer people on until the very end (making sure I can get on a shuttle of course though). Taking a shower would liven me up a little bit instead of sitting there in nasty cloths.

I don't remember there being showers at the high school.

When you finish you are directed to an athletes only area with food.  Then you can meet up with your family, etc.  They have bleachers by the finish line.  My family actually watched from the street near the high school.  We went to Wal-Mart and got cheap camp chairs.  When I started on my third lap, they had a change of venue and went to the bleachers.

Note that the run is pretty hilly.  The part from the high school to mile one is flat, then there are four miles of hills, a mile of flat, turn around, a mile of flat, four miles of hills, etc.  Do not neglect your hill runs.  Also, the cola on the run course was fizzy (not flat).

2013-06-27 10:45 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Blastman I'll be seeing you at the end because I am shooting for just under 15 hrs. But will accept just finishing.

This is where I expect to be as well, maybe we can run it in together

I'll be wearing a Tour de Cure sleeveless jersey for the bike but need to figure out my run top.

2013-06-27 11:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Bronze member

Add me to the list of people who might be walking at the end.  I've had some nagging issues with my left hamstring, and was able to run 10 this morning, but who knows what it'll be like after two more big weeks. I'm just glad we're in the homestretch now!

Anyone know offhand what the total elevation gain is on the bike?  How about on the run? (Apologies if this has already been asked/answered earlier in the thread.)  I'm afraid I haven't been doing much hill running - got some in today, but I wonder how undertrained I'll be...

2013-06-27 2:22 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
Originally posted by lisac957

I'll be wearing a Tour de Cure sleeveless jersey for the bike but need to figure out my run top.

I heard back from Ron at BT and he is mailing me Tattos for Vineman. He asked if I could take some pics of us with them on to put on the website. If we meet up maybe we can do it then. Sat. morning will be pretty hectic to do it at that time. If anything we should be able to identify BT people by the tattoos on their calves or arms.

I am going Pearl Izumi bike jersey top (Greenish/Lime) for the bike. Hopefully Pearl Izumi Sleeved Tri Top either white/black/red or white/ tomato red, but definitely sleeved with white arm sun sleeves.
2013-06-27 6:11 PM
in reply to: LindaKC

User image

Veteran
RE: elevation - my garmin from 2011's race has around 3500 on the bike and 1400 on the run....
2013-06-28 12:26 AM
in reply to: booth22

User image

Expert
Salem
No workout tonight. Had to drive my wife and mother in law to a bridal shower. It was also our 26 th wedding anniversary. Took my father in law and son out to dinner while the girls had there shower. Day off from work tomorrow to get some things done also hope to get both my swim and run in. No excuses.

Have a great weekend training everyone. Be safe and heal up if you need to.

Brian
2013-06-28 2:06 AM

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
I actually just started using perpetum and I love it! The first time I drank it I thought it was odd like a warm melted fifty fifty bar. Now I don't even chase each drink with water. I bought the giant tub of it at the local bike shop for $47. However I just noticed Booth's signature line above has a promo code for ordering online. Might be worth looking into.

3200 elevation on the bike and 1400 on the run? Crud! Most of my training is flat. I find some hills but not much because then I have to travel to get to them. Definitely going to do lots of hills on my bike Sunday.

Great news about the tattoos I'm not going to be up there until Friday afternoon.

2013-06-28 10:12 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Originally posted by lisac957

I heard back from Ron at BT and he is mailing me Tattos for Vineman. He asked if I could take some pics of us with them on to put on the website. If we meet up maybe we can do it then. Sat. morning will be pretty hectic to do it at that time. If anything we should be able to identify BT people by the tattoos on their calves or arms. I am going Pearl Izumi bike jersey top (Greenish/Lime) for the bike. Hopefully Pearl Izumi Sleeved Tri Top either white/black/red or white/ tomato red, but definitely sleeved with white arm sun sleeves.

Awesome! I will rock a BT tattoo!!

What about meeting up Friday morning for coffee? With coffee we don't have to commit to a meal or too much time - just 15 or 20 min (or longer if you like) to meet and greet. Looks like the expo/check-in/etc doesn't start till 11:30 a.m. and I'm sure we'll all have different schedules once that is open...

I will poke around on Yelp but for those who have done this before is there a local coffee shop in an area that would make sense for us to meet? 

2013-06-28 6:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Henderson,NV
So whats everybody's weekend like?
I'm supposed to have a 110 mile ride with a 4 mile run after, but it's going to be up over 115 degrees here, so my plan is to start at 5 am get in as much as I can by 10 and finish the rest on the trainer.

Less than 30 days away , the butterflies in my stomach are messin with me already!
2013-06-28 6:47 PM
in reply to: kenb

User image

Veteran
Just signed up after finally finding somebody to split the discount.... 4 weeks or so to get a few long rides in and i should be set..... i hope. Now if it would quit being over 110 here I could actually get some training in.
2013-06-29 12:19 AM
in reply to: booth22

User image

Expert
Salem
I have a long ride tomorrow of about 5.5 hrs. I am going to start on the trainer for two hrs. And then meet my wife and son at our in laws for a B-BQUE. I'll run an hr. after on their treadmill. It is suppose to hit 90. I went running tonight and it was 90 plus. I was about 1 min. Slower per mile pace than usual. I kind of changed my perception of walking. Rather than wait until I was tired and needed to walk I looked at it as I will walk then when I am ready I'll run. Felt much better about it and just consider it part of the deal so might was well get used to it. I thought I was going to be much slower. Heat just zaps your energy. Better get used to it.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Full Vineman Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 29