BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 73

2014-01-10 11:20 PM
in reply to: littlewj

Subject: RE: Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed.
OK, 20' test is done and I paced it a lot better than the 5'. Heart rate topped out about the same for the 5' and 20' tests. Is this an indication that I pushed just as hard on each test? I might have had a few more watts in me but still working on the mental toughness and did not want to blow up.

5' was 271
20' was 234
CP = 227

I updated the info in the Athlete Profile so I will be ready for workout 3 which will probably be done Sunday. I also attached the TCX file for your viewing pleasure.

Have a great night.

Ron

Attachments
----------------
ron-2014-01-10-sufferfest-rubber-glove-613225.tcx (1719KB - 5 downloads)

2014-01-11 6:48 AM
in reply to: littlewj

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by littlewj

Just finished my 20' test. I officially hate this mentor group now That was really tough. I thought I was gonna throw-up about halfway through. Seriously. I realized I need to learn how to mentally suffer on the bike. Anyway I averaged 195 watts giving me a CP of 188. I averaged 215 watts on the 5' test.

Let the training commence!!

Jim

Glad to hear we were part of your Friday nigh R&R
The beauty of power is that it allows to "quantify" suffering :-)
As relative newbies to cycling I think we underestimate what we really can do. Sometimes we over-estimate as well.
Power, once you get used to it, rarely lies.

2014-01-11 6:56 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by GoFaster

Anyone know where I can find instructions on how to play a video in GC?  Does it have to be a sufferfest video or can you use any video?

Can anyone help with this?  I just can't seem to find instructions on what you need to do to play a video in GC.  I found a video player that opens in a screen below the training file screen, so I'm not sure if that's right, or if video overlays the training screen - or how you even get a video to play...

All help is appreciated.

2014-01-11 6:57 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by WaterRat

OK, 20' test is done and I paced it a lot better than the 5'. Heart rate topped out about the same for the 5' and 20' tests. Is this an indication that I pushed just as hard on each test? I might have had a few more watts in me but still working on the mental toughness and did not want to blow up.

5' was 271
20' was 234
CP = 227

I updated the info in the Athlete Profile so I will be ready for workout 3 which will probably be done Sunday. I also attached the TCX file for your viewing pleasure.

Have a great night.

Ron

I went back and looked at my first power test ever and those numbers are pretty close. I saw a huge jump 3 months later .
My bike split improved 1.6 mph on the exact same course.
I am hopeful a lot of people in the group will see that first big jump

Trust me, subsequent years get harder :-)

Edited by marcag 2014-01-11 6:58 AM
2014-01-11 7:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
you need to add the video on the left hand side, below where you would add a workout
you select the trainer, the workout, the video, press "go" and it plays

you do have to add the "video chart" as you have already done. A "chart" is their word for widget, gizmo....there is a streetview chart, workout chart, video chart....

Edited by marcag 2014-01-11 7:06 AM
2014-01-11 7:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I compiled all the results I could find.
I have Nicole, Rich, Ron, Elaine, Scott, Chris, Jaime, Jim, Randy, Jason (jayCT)
For some reason I can't find Mitch's (trisuppo). Can you PM them to me ?
Tom, Don and Reece still have the 20' test...I think. I know Reece is still under the weather ?

Sarah will get up and running.
Pete will test soon. Just got back from cruise
The broken bone brigade is healing up.
Neil will be testing soon, under the weather.
Not sure if JB is still following
I PM'd a few people that have gone quiet. No pressure
Jason is gonna KOM Haleakala as part of his 20' test (move over Ryder).
Pierre is getting set up.

I am sure I forgot someone...speak up :-)

If any lurkers are following along, testing....let me know. I am curious. There are a lot of reads on this thread.

We will post next week's workouts by tomorrow at the latest, so people can get started. They have been QA (quality assured) in TR :-)
We will post in this thread but off my training log there will be a link to it so you can easily find it after a few pages have scrolled by

Very good results all around. Your competition should be very scared :-)

Edited by marcag 2014-01-11 7:23 AM

2014-01-11 7:39 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Extreme Veteran
One last thing before I go walk the dog, who is not happy about this group getting in the way of his walk

Are you guys keeping your workouts in GC ? The tests are important
We will start looking at them soon

May I suggest you add comments to them in the details tab. Things like 20' CP test, how you felt after the workout....you will eventually come back to these workouts and the notes really help.

Make sure you update your CP in GC after you have done the tests.
If you can't find it, let us know.

2014-01-11 8:06 AM

User image

Master
Originally posted by marcag

I compiled all the results I could find.
I have Nicole, Rich, Ron, Elaine, Scott, Chris, Jaime, Jim, Randy, Jason (jayCT)
For some reason I can't find Mitch's (trisuppo). Can you PM them to me ?
Tom, Don and Reece still have the 20' test...I think. I know Reece is still under the weather ?

Sarah will get up and running.
Pete will test soon. Just got back from cruise
The broken bone brigade is healing up.
Neil will be testing soon, under the weather.
Not sure if JB is still following
I PM'd a few people that have gone quiet. No pressure
Jason is gonna KOM Haleakala as part of his 20' test (move over Ryder).
Pierre is getting set up.

I am sure I forgot someone...speak up :-)

If any lurkers are following along, testing....let me know. I am curious. There are a lot of reads on this thread.

We will post next week's workouts by tomorrow at the latest, so people can get started. They have been QA (quality assured) in TR :-)
We will post in this thread but off my training log there will be a link to it so you can easily find it after a few pages have scrolled by

I finished my 20' test yesterday. I woke with a cold (or something) yesterday and waited until midday to do the test. Felt completely spent the rest of the day. I scored a lower than expected 202. That with my 5 minute test of 279 results in a CP of 177.

Question...I was beginning my training a few weeks ago with an old CP of 230 (virtually based on the Kurt Kinetic). I know that was a bit high but 177 seems like it will be too low. I feel if I hadn't been sick I would have been a bit higher on the 20' test. I was thinking with going with a 199 CP for now and see how the workouts feel. Based this off of assuming a 215 20' result. Thoughts?

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/427664166
2014-01-11 8:12 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by marcag If any lurkers are following along, testing....let me know. I am curious.  

Well, I'm lurking and testing but will be doing different workouts.  

Edit:  well probably not all *that* different I'm guessing

back to lurk mode....

Edited by axteraa 2014-01-11 8:14 AM
2014-01-11 8:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by trisuppo
I finished my 20' test yesterday. I woke with a cold (or something) yesterday and waited until midday to do the test. Felt completely spent the rest of the day. I scored a lower than expected 202. That with my 5 minute test of 279 results in a CP of 177.

Question...I was beginning my training a few weeks ago with an old CP of 230 (virtually based on the Kurt Kinetic). I know that was a bit high but 177 seems like it will be too low. I feel if I hadn't been sick I would have been a bit higher on the 20' test. I was thinking with going with a 199 CP for now and see how the workouts feel. Based this off of assuming a 215 20' result. Thoughts?

Ya, I really doubt that 20' is accurate. Based on what others are doing, a 20' at about 230 with a 217cp sounds more in line.
Let's keep an eye on this and see how the first few workouts feel.
Shane may have some suggestions. I am basing it on what I am seeing from others.

Edited by marcag 2014-01-11 8:36 AM
2014-01-11 8:35 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by marcag If any lurkers are following along, testing....let me know. I am curious.  

back to lurk mode....

Hey Arend !

Arend and I were teammates in a BT Canada vs US challenge last year at Mt-Tremblant. Two per team, lowest sum of HIM times won.
What was funny, and relevant to this group was team USA was teasing us about our "fancy power meters" and training methods
They compared us to Rocky vs the Russians in Rocky IV. Remember that Arend ?

Needless to say, the power weenies won!
Arend is coached by Shane, a fishie extraordinaire with lots of CP and quickly improving run.

2014-01-11 10:00 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Still a tad under the weather but on the upswing, I might give test 2 a whirl later today.
2014-01-11 10:25 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by marcag Pierre is getting set up. I am sure I forgot someone...speak up  

I'll put some focus on Pierre - he needs the "encouragement".    I loaned him my garmin usb while he waits for his to arrive with strict instructions to get the 5min of fun completed today. 

2014-01-11 10:55 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by marcag you need to add the video on the left hand side, below where you would add a workout you select the trainer, the workout, the video, press "go" and it plays you do have to add the "video chart" as you have already done. A "chart" is their word for widget, gizmo....there is a streetview chart, workout chart, video chart....

Ok, I think my issue was that I hadn"t found the extra video panel until yesterday.  Of course now I can't test since Pierre has my garmin stick...one last question, do the video files need to reside in the same folder as the workout files on your PC or can they be in a different folder all together?

I lied, I really have another question.  What's the play button with the little clock?  I've clicked it a couple of times but nothing seems to happen.

Edited by GoFaster 2014-01-11 10:56 AM
2014-01-11 11:01 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Morning of fustration. I was suppose to do the 20' power test but my son's old notebook PC, that I recently thought I rehabbed back to health, was FUBAR this morning.  Turned it on and it wouldn't complete the bootup and wouldn't stop loading the CPU as the fan was on high.  Tried several times to boot in safe mode but still nothing.  I need a plan B notebook pc, possibly my work pc to test tomorrow.

Maybe it was a blessing in disguise as the weather for a run with the dog was almost unberable this morning with the warmth & very high humidity, garage workout for 20' test would not have been ideal.

I now have to go on a biz trip T-F next week so I need to get the testing done and catch back up with the workouts when I get back.

2014-01-11 11:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Originally posted by axteraa

back to lurk mode....

Hey Arend !Arend and I were teammates in a BT Canada vs US challenge last year at Mt-Tremblant. Two per team, lowest sum of HIM times won.What was funny, and relevant to this group was team USA was teasing us about our "fancy power meters" and training methodsThey compared us to Rocky vs the Russians in Rocky IV. Remember that Arend ?Needless to say, the power weenies won!Arend is coached by Shane, a fishie extraordinaire with lots of CP and quickly improving run.
Ironically enough, one of the Team US guys is training with power and being coached by Shane now I did ride #3 this morning. I noticed a couple things (which I kind of already knew about myself): 1) 15 minute intervals on the trainer (even at a relatively easy power) are mentally difficult for me, while 10 minute intervals are completely manageable, and 2) recovering at 70% of FTP sort of doesn't feel like recovery...at least not the way 50% does. And on an unrelated note, I didn't have Internet at home for a few days, so in that time, I couldn't upload to Garmin Connect and the power files seem to be lost, though they're still on my 910. I was able to transfer today's workout, but it seems that the two from earlier this week are MIA. Any idea how to get them? I was able to export the file from TrainerRoad, but I don't think it has all the info that Garmin has.

2014-01-11 11:47 AM

User image

Lincoln, Nebraska

Total lurker here. If you have an opening, let me know!
2014-01-11 12:16 PM

Brampton, Ontario
Thank you Neil.. the 5 minutes of fun will be taking place this afternoon... I will post when completed.
P
2014-01-11 1:29 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ligersandtions
Ironically enough, one of the Team US guys is training with power and being coached by Shane now I did ride #3 this morning. I noticed a couple things (which I kind of already knew about myself): 1) 15 minute intervals on the trainer (even at a relatively easy power) are mentally difficult for me, while 10 minute intervals are completely manageable, and 2) recovering at 70% of FTP sort of doesn't feel like recovery...at least not the way 50% does. And on an unrelated note, I didn't have Internet at home for a few days, so in that time, I couldn't upload to Garmin Connect and the power files seem to be lost, though they're still on my 910. I was able to transfer today's workout, but it seems that the two from earlier this week are MIA. Any idea how to get them? I was able to export the file from TrainerRoad, but I don't think it has all the info that Garmin has.

Yes, Fred moved to training with power and sought the help of a Canadian. He saw the light :-)

I also did ride #3. I was expecting something easy. I forgot that a new/higher CP is usually trouble....not as easy as I thought
I agree on the recovery at 70%
Those 80% efforts, for those who didn't know, are close to HIM effort, maybe a little over. I had trouble imagining doing that for 2.5hrs.
The 90% effort for 10minutes is more Oly effort.
During the first half of the 15min/80% effort I realized this was going to be a long workout.

My instinct is my CP is a tad high, we'll see.

For your Garmin files, are you on Windows or Mac. On Windows they are in /users/yourname/AppData/Roaming/Garmin/DeviceID/History
Appdata is a hidden directory so you may need to type it in.
2014-01-11 1:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by GoFaster
  • .one last question, do the video files need to reside in the same folder as the workout files on your PC or can they be in a different folder all together?

I lied, I really have another question.  What's the play button with the little clock?  I've clicked it a couple of times but nothing seems to happen.

• Not sure on either. I can't figure out the little clock.
    I don't think the video needs to be in the directory, but not on a PC that is connected to a powermeter so can't execute a workout.
    2014-01-11 1:44 PM

User image

Elite
    PEI, Canada

Originally posted by marcag For your Garmin files, are you on Windows or Mac. On Windows they are in /users/yourname/AppData/Roaming/Garmin/DeviceID/History Appdata is a hidden directory so you may need to type it in.

In Windows (Windows 7 at least, probably others as well), you can type in %appdata% in an explorer address bar and it will take you to your AppData\Roaming folder automatically.

2014-01-11 1:48 PM

Brampton, Ontario
    Hello Friends,

Well I did the 5 minutes test it was pretty painful not looking forward to the 20 minute one,, here my results..
    Not sure if there's a better way to post them..

265 watts.. I started way to hard over 300w and slowly was going down.. ave speed 31.6km 169BPM

Any comments or advice are welcome
    Pierre
    2014-01-11 2:06 PM
    in reply to: Habs1969

User image

Elite
    Ontario

Originally posted by Habs1969 Hello Friends, Well I did the 5 minutes test it was pretty painful not looking forward to the 20 minute one,, here my results.. Not sure if there's a better way to post them.. 265 watts.. I started way to hard over 300w and slowly was going down.. ave speed 31.6km 169BPM Any comments or advice are welcome Pierre

Comments - don't start out like Superman next time.

I would be aiming for about 215-225 on the 20min test based on the 5min test.  Have fun...

2014-01-11 2:07 PM

User image

Elite
    Ontario

Originally posted by GoFaster ..one last question, do the video files need to reside in the same folder as the workout files on your PC or can they be in a different folder all together?

Not sure on either. I can't figure out the little clock. I don't think the video needs to be in the directory, but not on a PC that is connected to a powermeter so can't execute a workout.

Sorry Marc - you kind of lost me on the bolded part.

2014-01-11 2:18 PM
    in reply to: Habs1969

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Originally posted by Habs1969

Hello Friends,

Well I did the 5 minutes test it was pretty painful not looking forward to the 20 minute one,, here my results..
    Not sure if there's a better way to post them..

265 watts.. I started way to hard over 300w and slowly was going down.. ave speed 31.6km 169BPM

Any comments or advice are welcome
    Pierre

Well done!
    Neil's recommendation sound right. Many of the guys are about 1.2x less on the 20min than the 5
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Rss Feed  

of 73

RELATED POSTS

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
    Views: 16209 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
    Views: 29730 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75

Started by slornow
    Views: 60932 Posts: 1862

2014-05-16 5:48 PM GoldenSprocket

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
    Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
    Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : January 29, 2013
    author : Scott Tinley
    comments : 0
    There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 15, 2010
    author : EndurancePlanet
    This month we talk with gsmacleod, aka Coach Shane MacLeod on his coaching philosophy, his approach to gadgets, training plans, missed workouts and strength training.
    date : April 23, 2009
    author : Team BT
    comments : 1
    The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : March 4, 2009
    author : jasongootman
    In this third part, we discuss bike workout types and how they relate to power training. Power analysis of workouts included. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.
    date : December 3, 2008
    author : jasongootman
    What is power training? In this first part, learn the terms and definitions associated with power training. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : October 21, 2008
    author : Coach AJ
    Training with a power meter will make sure that you are spending every minute on the bike effectively. Racing with a power meter will keep you humble and in your proper zones on race day.
    date : April 1, 2008
    author : sportfactory
    How will a power meter help my cycling training and racing? A few questions and answers will help determine if a power meter will be good for you.

date : February 19, 2007
    author : Terese Luikens
    Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.