BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-07-03 8:40 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!

Dragging some serious right now - week 3 of this HIM build with an incredibly tough weekend ahead.

Had to bail on my track workout after 1.5 of 6 planned reps Wednesday because I had absolutely nothing to give but bounced back ok with the ride yesterday.  Every workout seems to be a decision whether to do it or take a nap!

2014-07-03 9:00 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by TankBoyA few weeks back Fred solicited interest in a group meetup/smack-down race next year. I can't find the responses - was there any consensus on that? I am thinking of doing something a little different and being more bike focused next year - Would anybody else be interested in Leadman in September? 3 distances on the same day: 85k/125k/250k - could be fun?
Hey Rusty, I proposed doing a meet up at Quassy. More so due to its a half iron distance and more people are on East/North East coast. Does not mean to exclude West coasters or Jason Planing these sort of things need to be well in advanced imo. Maybe 2016 West coast event? I think Fred was fishing to do a different Ironman and see who was interested. Trust me I had more funds to race I would be visiting allot of SBR'ers. May even make a trip to Indonesia and get Mellon Pressed. Not sure Stacy would like that thou.
2014-07-03 9:05 AM
in reply to: rymac

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by rymac

Dragging some serious right now - week 3 of this HIM build with an incredibly tough weekend ahead.

Had to bail on my track workout after 1.5 of 6 planned reps Wednesday because I had absolutely nothing to give but bounced back ok with the ride yesterday.  Every workout seems to be a decision whether to do it or take a nap!

I here you and feel your pain. I feel like I am still recovering from Syracuse 70.3. Then yet trying to get ready for Musselman half next week. Fred is going to kick my a$$......btw did you read the article WTC put out on taper? If I get a chance I'll post that link.
2014-07-03 10:21 AM

User image

Little Harbour
I haven't done my first Try yet..it is coming up July 27th..I have worked out before but during my swim you can't exactly grab a protein bar or some fruit when your in the pool working out. There is tonnes of stuff on what to eat prior to a race..but nothing on prior to pool workout.
2014-07-03 12:07 PM
in reply to: Divemedic

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Divemedic I haven't done my first Try yet..it is coming up July 27th..I have worked out before but during my swim you can't exactly grab a protein bar or some fruit when your in the pool working out. There is tonnes of stuff on what to eat prior to a race..but nothing on prior to pool workout.

I'm thinking more along the lines of your eating in general. Can't remember hunger developing during the swim. I've been hungry early on, but that goes away once I get into the workout. Are you eating enough in general? Have your swims been first thing in the morning workouts? 

2014-07-03 3:02 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by Divemedic I haven't done my first Try yet..it is coming up July 27th..I have worked out before but during my swim you can't exactly grab a protein bar or some fruit when your in the pool working out. There is tonnes of stuff on what to eat prior to a race..but nothing on prior to pool workout.

You're possibly over thinking this a little bit.  Unless you're really doing a long long session in the pool, you don't really need much for first thing in the morning.  Typically I'll only have something very light, but higher on the glycemic index - i.e. some white bread with jam, or breakfst pita, etc.  If it's a longer swim then I'll bring gatorade with me rather than water.

As for racing, I can never eat much due to race nerves.  At best I manage a partial bagel or banana, and then have a gel before the race starts.  Unless you're racing much longer distances your glycogen stores should carry you through most of the race without too much extra nutrition - sports drinks + 1-3 gels should be plenty for up to 3 hours.

2014-07-03 3:20 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Expert
Broadlands

I'll join!

Name: Dean

Story: started doing triathlons in 2007, I actually can't remember why.  Maybe I was looking for a new "thing".  Started off in the cold north west of England and now live in the Northern Virginia area a few minutes from DC.  A very small triathlon community in England to a hotbed of triathletes in NOVA!  Have been into endurance events for a long time, started doing marathons and further races in my military days from 1995 onward and have been doing them ever since.

This Year: Completed the Jurassic Coast Challenge in the UK in March, third time I've completed it, fourth time running it. It's three trail marathons in 3 days.  Each day is over 95% trail, the rest being cliffs :-)  and each day was over 28 miles!!  Raced in Syracuse a couple of weeks back and loved it!  Was my first HIM, I think I've found my distance!

I run, I ride and I drag my legs through water (some of you refer to it as swimming, but you'd stop that if you saw me

Struggle to maintain consistency, especially after big races, there's always a lull I have to break.  

An insight to my way of thinking: The answer to "should I buy a Tri bike?" is always yes IMO  (they just look awesome!)

2014-07-03 3:30 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by Divemedic I haven't done my first Try yet..it is coming up July 27th..

Hooooooooo - that just gave me goosebumps! I have done so many races I cannot distinguish one of them from the other in my memory. But my FIRST one - just wow. I remember every second of it like it was yesterday. Very, very excited for you - you are going to LOVE it!

2014-07-03 3:34 PM
in reply to: rymac

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by rymac

Hey Ryan - at least you were smart enough to bail out. About 2.5 weeks ago I had a race-effort workout that I COMPLETELY bombed - I dragged it forward a couple of days in the schedule and just wasn't recovered enough to hit my targets. It would have been completely demoralizing if I hadn't had the experience o remind myself that it was just one workout. With a little extra recovery I bounced right back the following week and killed the next one. Don't worry about it - it is all good.

2014-07-03 3:38 PM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by BrotherTri
Originally posted by TankBoyA few weeks back Fred solicited interest in a group meetup/smack-down race next year. I can't find the responses - was there any consensus on that? I am thinking of doing something a little different and being more bike focused next year - Would anybody else be interested in Leadman in September? 3 distances on the same day: 85k/125k/250k - could be fun?
Hey Rusty, I proposed doing a meet up at Quassy. More so due to its a half iron distance and more people are on East/North East coast. Does not mean to exclude West coasters or Jason Planing these sort of things need to be well in advanced imo. Maybe 2016 West coast event? I think Fred was fishing to do a different Ironman and see who was interested. Trust me I had more funds to race I would be visiting allot of SBR'ers. May even make a trip to Indonesia and get Mellon Pressed. Not sure Stacy would like that thou.

Ah, yeah - that is right. I am having a tough time getting worked up to do a HIM for some reason, probably because I find then to be so freaking hard. That distance leaves me utterly shattered if I race it well, and worse if I don't. I never can figure out how you all race multiples in the same year, and often close together. I would do better racing multiple IMs than I would be multiple HIMs - I am convinced of it!

2014-07-03 3:44 PM
in reply to: dewybuck

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Hey Dean - welcome to the group. Don't worry, we are rotten with swim talent, but are a little short on the ultra running side of things at the moment, so you will fill the gap nicely. Long-time member of the Cervelo Club myself, but this season I too joined the Felt Mafia, and not really regretting it! (although admittedly I do still love my S2; probably my favorite bike, actually). 

2014-07-03 3:47 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by TankBoy

Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by TankBoy A few weeks back Fred solicited interest in a group meetup/smack-down race next year. I can't find the responses - was there any consensus on that? I am thinking of doing something a little different and being more bike focused next year - Would anybody else be interested in Leadman in September? 3 distances on the same day: 85k/125k/250k - could be fun?

I don't think there was any real consensus but I'd be interested depending on the timing - I will do some reading on Leadman.  Why don't we all chase Jason up Haleakala?  

Edit: I quickly looked at Leadman.  Longer swim, longer bike, shorter run - how can I resist???

Well, assuming you're interested in the 250k, Haleakala would probably fit nicely into a bike base build leading into Leadman.  Just sayin...

Well, that is sort of what I was actually thinking when I asked you about 70.3 or "something else." Would be tough to pass up the 70.3 experience in Hawaii, but you know I DO like me some climbing.... Will you be doing either or both next year, or too soon to say? That would of course be part of the decision as well. 'Cause we all know it is a lot more fun beating people we know versus random strangers....

Too early for me to say.  But if I did Leadman, I most likely would do Haleakala the same year.  It really does fit nicely.

Well, you certainly have me leaning in that direction....

2014-07-03 4:10 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by GoFaster

Back from vacation - had a great and relaxing time, although training was far from ideal.  That said I was living on top of a hill and running up and down damn near killed me (so I must be stronger now...).  Anyway, looking forward to catching back on with the group.

Also, the idea of Quassy next year intrigues me.  I thought about pulling the trigger on that one in the past

Rusty - I've seen this comment before, but why no fiber, just because it can mess with your system?

For a 7:30 start I would get up around 4:15 and eat a banana, a little protein, and something high GI carbs: white bread, scone, etc - nothing with fiber. 

Hey Neil welcome back!  - Low/No fiber on race day mostly because it takes a lot more energy to digest it, and requires more fluids in the system to move it along - both things that are better utilized elsewhere on race day. 

2014-07-04 6:44 AM

User image

Little Harbour
Maybe I am over thinking it..most of my swim workouts are either mid morning or mid afternoon as that is when there is childcare available at the local YMCA where I swim
I am getting more and more excited for my first Tri..I have wanted to do this since I can remember and the one I'm doing is at the beach I live by.
My goal in a few years is to do this one www.epicdartmouth.com
2014-07-04 6:58 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Divemedic Maybe I am over thinking it..most of my swim workouts are either mid morning or mid afternoon as that is when there is childcare available at the local YMCA where I swim I am getting more and more excited for my first Tri..I have wanted to do this since I can remember and the one I'm doing is at the beach I live by. My goal in a few years is to do this one www.epicdartmouth.com

For a mid morning or mid afternoon swim, I think I would just make sure I had a good breakfast/lunch (whatever you normally eat most likely) and just leave it at that.  If you were doing something long like a 90+ minute swim you could think about having a water bottle with some sports drink in it to sip on during the workout but for a typical swim, I wouldn't worry about it.

Epic Dartmouth is a great race and goal - just hope it's not as hot as it was this year!  

2014-07-04 4:53 PM
in reply to: axteraa

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2014-07-04 5:15 PM

Master
...at home in The ATL

Sorry to hear that, Fred - hopefully it is just one of things. I had a recovery day on the schedule today so got out for a nice chatty 2:45 ride with JT. It was great as we hardly ever get the chance to ride that long together. The only bummer is that we were experiencing near-record lows here this morning - when we rolled out it was in the low 60s! crazy. Cookout and walk downtown to watch fireworks tonight. Happy and safe 4th to all that are celebrating.

2014-07-04 5:20 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by TankBoy

Sorry to hear that, Fred - hopefully it is just one of things. I had a recovery day on the schedule today so got out for a nice chatty 2:45 ride with JT. It was great as we hardly ever get the chance to ride that long together. The only bummer is that we were experiencing near-record lows here this morning - when we rolled out it was in the low 60s! crazy. Cookout and walk downtown to watch fireworks tonight. Happy and safe 4th to all that are celebrating.

Fred, hope it's nothing serious!

We are having the opposite weather Rusty - 7 straight days of 30C/85F or higher.  That *never* happens here.  We might have that many hot days in an entire summer (maybe) but never all in a row.

The remnants of Hurricane Arthur is rolling through here tomorrow and early Sunday.

2014-07-04 6:31 PM
in reply to: axteraa

Happy 4th all. I am up in mammoth lakes california whin has turned into quite the training Mecca for runners. 8k feet altitude training. Jumped into a 1 mile pre parade race after my morning 5 miler with hill repeats. It's only a mile I told myself, how hard could it be? (Answer- really hard). Almost broke 7 for the first time ever. Know that's slow for many but is fast for me. 7:01. Couldn't breathe!
2014-07-04 8:18 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

Master
Northern IL

Couple mile lake swim this morning with some people I hadn't been with in awhile. Definitely seeing the training improvement. Used to get dropped by the one by quite a bit in the second half of the swim, but even though I was tired coming in was leading much of the way.

Also did 60 some miles riding on the MUP out to Lake Michigan. Definitely see the difference in the bikes as this took just over 4 hrs to do!

2014-07-05 10:16 AM

Master
...at home in The ATL

And here is a quick little tidbit that may (or may not) be interesting to the group.
So, you may be familiar with Segal's Law which states: "A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
Well I think what might be true for watches might also be true for power meters.

A few weeks ago I went on a group ride and took the opportunity to take the vectors off my tri bike and put them on my road bike, which also has a Quarq/SRAM crankset. I new there was a bit of a delta between the two, turns out it looks like the offset between the two is about 20 watts when at an "endurance" effort.

Link to the data from the Quark Elsa

Link to the data from the Garmin Vectors

So what (if anything) would you do with this information. How would it effect your training efforts from one to the other? Anything else funny you see other than the fact that I obviously have my FTP set too low in Training Peaks, no matter which PM is "correct? This obviously wrecks the use of IF, TSS, etc for analysis, but I don't really use that much anyway, other than to say "oh, isn't that interesting?"

I guess it might be interesting to do this experiment again next time I ride the kickr; because the only thing that I can think of that would be more screwy than having data from two power meters would be having data from three.....

2014-07-05 11:22 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-07-05 12:01 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Rusty, do you have an issue with calibration drift maybe?  Look at it this way, broken down in 15 mile chunks with the AP of the Quarq and the Vectors

first 15 miles - 159, 157
2nd 15 miles - 156, 149
3rd 15 miles - 177, 158
4th 15 miles - 197, 164

The Vectors have you riding pretty steadily throughout the entire ride while the Quarq has you building up, especially after the first 30 miles.  So from an RPE point of view, which was it?

2014-07-05 12:26 PM
in reply to: 0

I think Arend might be onto something.  I'd check the offset value before and after your next ride with the Quarq.  Given the VI of the ride, it would be pretty beastly for you to average 190+ watts during the last 15 miles...with probably a NP in the 250+ range.  Also, not sure if your FTP is set correctly in TP, but a 300 TSS for a 3 hour ride should be a red flag.

I would certainly straighten out the issue first rather than trying to account for the difference.  Power is all about accuracy...that's why you spent big bucks on it.  If you were willing to do estimations and approximations you could just stick with RPE or HR for much cheaper.  The good thing for you is that your potential issues are with 2 of the best companies as far as customer service and warranty returns.

ETA:  Do you remember if you did the back pedal offset technique during the ride and/or if there was weather change?  I know one ride I did started in normal weather, then it started to rain hard.  By the end of the ride, my Quarq was reading about 15% high...I was pushing 360 watts for 3+ minutes without feeling like I was going to throw up.  Once I did the back pedal thing, my numbers came back to normal and all of my other rides since have been fine.

Funny thing was that I actually managed to back pedal 3-4 times during Haleakala on some false flats.  I was so worried about the power numbers drifting as I gained elevation (barometric pressure), but it seemed to work well.

Edited by Jason N 2014-07-05 12:31 PM
2014-07-05 1:35 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Elite
PEI, Canada

Crazy windy here today with the hurricane leftovers coming through.  65km/hr gusting to 90 but it's sunny so I figured I might as well go for a run.    It was almost funny in places as I could barely move forward into the wind when the gusts came through.  There is a hill (600 meters at 3%) that I went up with the wind at my back at a 4:20/km pace and on the way back down into the wind, it was more like 5:30/km.  Pretty sure I've never had that happen before.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38743 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 74223 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.