BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 98

2016-05-02 2:27 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux
Dilemma of the month (and the month has just started... ehh...): SWIM COACH.
I would love to have a swim coach for gazzilion number of reasons. Somebody I really trust in the field of triathlon and long-distance swimming recommended me this woman a while ago and I am dreaming of getting the training with her. But...
The cost of one hour is $90. My understanding is I would need at least three meet-ups and probably at least 2-3 follow ups. So that's ~$450.
I am taking my kids to Poland for a vacation this summer and it will be pretty costly (you don't wanna know how much I had to pay for airfare... :/) My car is acting funky and if I need another repair - here comes another cost. I am on single income and already spent tons of money just for races' registrations. So no, I do not have another $300+ in my budget for something that I *might* need.

At the same time... I am trying to figure out if maybe I should suck it up and try somehow to have those lessons/training. Yes, I can do it next year, but I was thinking that since I am just learning freestyle, it would be great to learn proper technique from the very beginning.
My goal this year is 1,500 m of Oly distance. I currently swim at 2:30 min/100y. According to my research and "strategy plan" I will be able to make the distance, and worst case scenario: I will switch styles with breast and back, and finish swim in over 45 minutes. So it's not catastrophic. But then, if she helps me - then she would help me for life and that's priceless. Or am I being too romantic...?

Let me know what you think. Especially those of you who are coaches (Yanti!!!). If i should post a details of the trainer I am talking about, please let me know. Thanks, as always, for your feedback!

Edited by marysia83 2016-05-02 2:31 PM

2016-05-02 2:38 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by marysia83 Dilemma of the month (and the month has just started... ehh...): SWIM COACH. I would love to have a swim coach for gazzilion number of reasons. Somebody I really trust in the field of triathlon and long-distance swimming recommended me this woman a while ago and I am dreaming of getting the training with her. But... The cost of one hour is $90. My understanding is I would need at least three meet-ups and probably at least 2-3 follow ups. So that's ~$450. I am taking my kids to Poland for a vacation this summer and it will be pretty costly (you don't wanna know how much I had to pay for airfare... :/) My car is acting funky and if I need another repair - here comes another cost. I am on single income and already spent tons of money just for races' registrations. So no, I do not have another $300+ in my budget for something that I *might* need. At the same time... I am trying to figure out if maybe I should suck it up and try somehow to have those lessons/training. Yes, I can do it next year, but I was thinking that since I am just learning freestyle, it would be great to learn proper technique from the very beginning. My goal this year is 1,500 m of Oly distance. I currently swim at 2:30 min/100y. According to my research and "strategy plan" I will be able to make the distance, and worst case scenario: I will switch styles with breast and back, and finish swim in over 45 minutes. So it's not catastrophic. But then, if she helps me - then she would help me for life and that's priceless. Or am I being too romantic...? Let me know what you think. Especially those of you who are coaches (Yanti!!!). If i should post a details of the trainer I am talking about, please let me know. Thanks, as always, for your feedback!

Can you do a semi-private lesson?  I mean if you split it with someone else (if the coach allows), that would make it substantially less expensive.

2016-05-02 2:39 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by marysia83 Dilemma of the month (and the month has just started... ehh...): SWIM COACH. I would love to have a swim coach for gazzilion number of reasons. Somebody I really trust in the field of triathlon and long-distance swimming recommended me this woman a while ago and I am dreaming of getting the training with her. But... The cost of one hour is $90. My understanding is I would need at least three meet-ups and probably at least 2-3 follow ups. So that's ~$450. I am taking my kids to Poland for a vacation this summer and it will be pretty costly (you don't wanna know how much I had to pay for airfare... :/) My car is acting funky and if I need another repair - here comes another cost. I am on single income and already spent tons of money just for races' registrations. So no, I do not have another $300+ in my budget for something that I *might* need. At the same time... I am trying to figure out if maybe I should suck it up and try somehow to have those lessons/training. Yes, I can do it next year, but I was thinking that since I am just learning freestyle, it would be great to learn proper technique from the very beginning. My goal this year is 1,500 m of Oly distance. I currently swim at 2:30 min/100y. According to my research and "strategy plan" I will be able to make the distance, and worst case scenario: I will switch styles with breast and back, and finish swim in over 45 minutes. So it's not catastrophic. But then, if she helps me - then she would help me for life and that's priceless. Or am I being too romantic...? Let me know what you think. Especially those of you who are coaches (Yanti!!!). If i should post a details of the trainer I am talking about, please let me know. Thanks, as always, for your feedback!

Can you do a semi-private lesson?  I mean if you split it with someone else (if the coach allows), that would make it substantially less expensive.

I was thinking the same thing. 

2016-05-02 2:46 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by amd723

That would be perfect, but I do not have anyone interested right now :/
2016-05-02 2:47 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by marysia83

Maybe contact the coach and see if she has someone else looking to set up a semi-private?

2016-05-02 2:53 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Maybe contact the coach and see if she has someone else looking to set up a semi-private?

Good idea!

2016-05-02 3:46 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Do you have tri club or master's swim group near you? My old swimming group here would do a stroke improvement clinic over 6 sessions or so at a lesser cost several times in the year. The coach would video the swimmers and then go through how to improve. The local tri club does similar sort of clinics and sessions for groups. At a much lesser cost than private lessons. 

If you felt ready it might be worth trying to get to a master's or tri group swim once a week. The logistics can be tough but for my style of learning i feel like it's been really valuable to set aside the time. 

2016-05-02 9:24 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Just cause:

(Gerrie1.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Gerrie1.JPG (57KB - 3 downloads)
2016-05-03 2:13 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Originally posted by StaceyK

Just cause:

Love it!
2016-05-03 2:33 AM
in reply to: tomsimper

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by tomsimper
Originally posted by StaceyK Just cause:
Love it!

me too!!

2016-05-03 7:42 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by tomsimper
Originally posted by StaceyK Just cause:
Love it!

me too!!

Heh...

2016-05-03 8:36 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by emcmino Thanks for the Happy Birthday wishes everyone. It has been crazy at work lately, so I am behind on my race report from last week, and training this week has been non-existent. I do have a question for the pod though. I came across a triathlon that says the swim is 600 meters in the water parks lazy river (2 laps). Has anyone ever done anything like that? Do you even need to swim or would the current just pull you? Do they have water cannons on the side that spectators can shoot at you? I am not going to lie, to me it kind of sounds fun, but wondered if anyone has done it?

I've done B2B and, despite reports to the contrary, even with the current you do actually have to swim.

WTC has a course in Mexico that looks like a lazy river.That could be your goal race :-D

What's on everyone's race wish list. Fess up, now!  I can't be the only one who has a race wish list! 

We are actually starting to look at race-cations in the future. I have only raced locally, so that should open up some opportunities. I'm not sure I have a wish list, I just want to take advantage of whatever is out there.

I hear that Disney has some races...

Been there, done that, got the tech shirt. 

Although, I have a friend that did the Expedition Everest 10K there, which would be different. I have to see how things go this year. If a few things come together, than we'll see about races in other states.

I could possibly be persuaded to run in Disney, if other Manatees were to be there.

I was gonna say, we need a Manatee racecation or relay or C&O trail ride or something.  Zion half or Ragnar or Disney 2018 or a marathon relay or something.

This would be a ton of fun!  Is Zion half the one that goes through the old train tunnels?  That race, whatever it is, is one of my wish list items.  I could be persuaded to do Disney, although acclimation could be fun...what sort of temps are in FL in January?

2016-05-03 8:37 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Effin chafing in effin places I've never effin chafed before. Fudge.

Oh, that's not good!

2016-05-03 8:40 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

I like the idea that Janyne and others mentioned of trying to share the lesson with someone else.  Another option would be to talk to the lady and explain your financial limitations and see if she would be willing to be flexible with price or the follow-ups.  

2016-05-03 8:46 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by emcmino Thanks for the Happy Birthday wishes everyone. It has been crazy at work lately, so I am behind on my race report from last week, and training this week has been non-existent. I do have a question for the pod though. I came across a triathlon that says the swim is 600 meters in the water parks lazy river (2 laps). Has anyone ever done anything like that? Do you even need to swim or would the current just pull you? Do they have water cannons on the side that spectators can shoot at you? I am not going to lie, to me it kind of sounds fun, but wondered if anyone has done it?

I've done B2B and, despite reports to the contrary, even with the current you do actually have to swim.

WTC has a course in Mexico that looks like a lazy river.That could be your goal race :-D

What's on everyone's race wish list. Fess up, now!  I can't be the only one who has a race wish list! 

We are actually starting to look at race-cations in the future. I have only raced locally, so that should open up some opportunities. I'm not sure I have a wish list, I just want to take advantage of whatever is out there.

Although, I have a friend that did the Expedition Everest 10K there, which would be different. I have to see how things go this year. If a few things come together, than we'll see about races in other states.

I could possibly be persuaded to run in Disney, if other Manatees were to be there.

I was gonna say, we need a Manatee racecation or relay or C&O trail ride or something.  Zion half or Ragnar or Disney 2018 or a marathon relay or something.

This would be a ton of fun!  Is Zion half the one that goes through the old train tunnels?  That race, whatever it is, is one of my wish list items.  I could be persuaded to do Disney, although acclimation could be fun...what sort of temps are in FL in January?

Write me in as well!
2016-05-03 8:48 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado

I like the idea that Janyne and others mentioned of trying to share the lesson with someone else.  Another option would be to talk to the lady and explain your financial limitations and see if she would be willing to be flexible with price or the follow-ups.  

Thanks Melanie (and everyone else!)
I'll give it a week or two to think about it. I'm gonna have my mechanic check the car and see if it's just something silly that can be fixed for almost no money, or something super serious that would make me cry.

2016-05-03 9:00 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

When I did the Disney half, it was sleeting.  I believe that is not typical weather but I suspect 40s at race time would be normal.  Hands will let us know!

2016-05-03 9:12 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I mentioned C&O because I got this email about about a bike ride/excursion from Pittsburgh to DC.  I was getting more and more interested until the price tag  I said to myself, surely we could roll our own for a lot less! 

Also,  I wasn't sure that everyone would be up for 335 miles of togetherness ;-D 

it looks like the C&O section is about 184 miles from DC to Cumberland, MD.  The GAP (Great Allegheny Passage) section is from Cumberland, MD to Pittsburgh.  The C&O section seems to be closer to more Manatees.

2016-05-03 9:27 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

When I did the Disney half, it was sleeting.  I believe that is not typical weather but I suspect 40s at race time would be normal.  Hands will let us know!

The average low temperature for January is around 50*, high around 70*, but you never know!  The first year I did Disney is was on target, the next year it was  sleeting for the HM and in the 20*s but clear at the start of the full .  This year I think the temps for both the half and full were probably about 60 at the start and low 70s as a high.

2016-05-03 9:38 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Just caught up. Dog farts and chaffing are the worst!!

Good news, the offshore work slid to the right far enough to where there was no guarantee I'd be back in time for the race so looks like I don't have to go.
2016-05-03 9:43 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

I mentioned C&O because I got this email about about a bike ride/excursion from Pittsburgh to DC.  I was getting more and more interested until the price tag  I said to myself, surely we could roll our own for a lot less! 

Also,  I wasn't sure that everyone would be up for 335 miles of togetherness ;-D 

it looks like the C&O section is about 184 miles from DC to Cumberland, MD.  The GAP (Great Allegheny Passage) section is from Cumberland, MD to Pittsburgh.  The C&O section seems to be closer to more Manatees.

That looks amazing. No trafffic for over 300 miles !!!!!

2016-05-03 9:45 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ceilidh

That looks amazing. No trafffic for over 300 miles !!!!!

The trick would be coordinating gear transport.  Food would also be good to have.  It looks like the C&O section can be done in a long weekend.  I mean, I guess some of us could do it all in one go but...

2016-05-03 9:47 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Early January is a crap shoot. The year I did the half it was around 40 at the start.  I think I stripped off 2 layers of shirts. However, it was my first ever and boy, have I learned stuff since. This year it was around 70 or so from what I heard.  So, plan accordingly, ha!

2016-05-03 10:02 AM

User image

Anyone ever get lessons from a badass swimmer they happen to swim at the same pool with? There's a woman who trains at my pool who swam in college and is clearly an incredible swimmer. Not that I've been stalking but her bag, which happens to be beside where I keep my towel , has National competition tags all over it. I've made some small talk with her and gotten a few tips but I'm wondering if asking her if she teaches swim lessons would be strange/creepy. I also know some of the best athletes can be the worst teachers.
2016-05-03 5:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Things co-workers say when you return from running an ultra..."Physically I could do it, but I'd get bored". Another guy, after I told him the race was worth being sore for a couple days, said "you just keep trying to convince yourself of that". :/

Edited by rrrunner 2016-05-03 5:01 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  

of 98

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 21, 2014
author : Tre_bor
comments : 3
The running aspect of an Ironman triathlon is a marathon. Most people take on a marathon as a single event and the training for this uses up a lot of their time. Here are some tips for the run.

date : December 9, 2013
author : Tre_bor
comments : 7
So you want to become an Ironman?! Are you sure...? It's not a light undertaking. I will attempt to help you make it through without making too many rookie mistakes.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.