BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-01-23 9:36 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED
Oh no...Yes, I think it must count as a core workout, possibly cardio if they are long bouts. I have actually, twice, pulled a core muscle from coughing like that (and once with flu in China, cracked a rib). Guess I am really, really good at coughing. Also a teacher (currently between jobs) so I got plenty of those lovely viruses from the kiddos as well. Take care! There is this great Chinese herbal medicine for that kind of cough, one of the few things that actually worked for me, but I have never been able to find it in the US. Something like "Red Flower"? Ginger/honey/lemon tea isn't bad, though.

2019-01-24 4:42 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by fortissimo

Does coughing non-stop count as a core workout?

Whatever you guys do, do not catch the virus that has attacked our school. Trust me on this.

Yuck, I think that same virus has hit our workplace. I missed several days last week and just now thinking about MAYBE doing a workout. We had several people who ended up with ear infections and pneumonia from the crud. Spring can't get here soon enough
2019-01-24 6:40 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by fortissimo Does coughing non-stop count as a core workout? Whatever you guys do, do not catch the virus that has attacked our school. Trust me on this.

Oh no! Take care!

2019-01-24 8:48 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by kbhanson3

Originally posted by kbhanson3 JoGo challenge report - I am happy to report that the local food & beer scenes in Raleigh & Durham are thriving and diet busting bingeworthy. I practiced maximum enthusiasm during my visits to the local establishments and enjoyed the long weekend visit immensely. Alas, this is but a temporary set back. Since returning home, I have redirected my enthusiasm towards eating right, alcohol abstinence and training. Just made the challenge a little more challenging is all.

Umm. You forgot to INVITE ME!

Busted! Next time beers on me at Fullsteam or any other establishment of your choosing! Might be up there again in the fall.

I'm in!

ETA: With enough warning, Robin may be willing to join us as well ;-) Or else we'll have to have a second meetup in the Asheville or Brevard area?

I am in!
2019-01-24 8:48 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by kbhanson3 JoGo challenge report - I am happy to report that the local food & beer scenes in Raleigh & Durham are thriving and diet busting bingeworthy. I practiced maximum enthusiasm during my visits to the local establishments and enjoyed the long weekend visit immensely. Alas, this is but a temporary set back. Since returning home, I have redirected my enthusiasm towards eating right, alcohol abstinence and training. Just made the challenge a little more challenging is all.

Busted! Next time beers on me at Fullsteam or any other establishment of your choosing! Might be up there again in the fall.

I'm in!

ETA: With enough warning, Robin may be willing to join us as well ;-) Or else we'll have to have a second meetup in the Asheville or Brevard area?

I am in!
2019-01-24 8:51 AM
in reply to: kbhanson3

User image

Champion
Bronze member

I'm in!

I'm still thinking Lake Logan so how about post-race beers there? The more Manatees the merrier!
i have signed up for the olympic at Lake Logan. Ill buy the first round.

2019-01-24 9:25 AM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by awm007

Originally posted by cdban66

Jogo challenge went well on week one, as is often the case for me. Stayed in motion, stuck to my food intake, and last weight, so I was 3 for 3. After talking it over with TW this weekend, I have dropped my goal weight a couple of pounds, making it a bit more challenging. 207 is the lowest I have been in QUITE some time. 210 is a good/comfortable place. So, I am shooting for 208, which then puts me in better riding and running shape. This also makes the challenge a bit more challenging, so we'll see how it goes. I did some reading this week on resolutions, and how last week is the week that it all falls apart for many people. Another item that a podcast focused on is goals for 2019, not resolutions for the year. Along with the goal based discussion that Janyne started last week, it is pushing me to re-assess my objectives for the coming year.

I hope everyone is doing well here at the beginning of the week and rolling forward through this week. Have a great one!

You did better than I did. My weight actually went up a bit, though I used a different scale this week, so there is a confound. I've found this happens sometimes when I up my training. My appetite seems to go up quite a bit as well. Hopefully in a couple of weeks, things will reverse course.

So my field of study, organizational psychology, actually has quite a bit to say about goal setting. If you are familiar with the acronym SMART goals, I can tell you that there are dozens if not hundreds of studies that empirically support that approach. Research is very clear that SMART goals are always better than "do your best" or vague goals in that you are much more likely to attain them. The psychological mechanism by which this works is to increase your motivation. Vague "do better" goals tend to be a lot less motivating than SMART goals. This is why I like racing. It really strikes the fear of suffering into me if I'm not in shape for a long race which is very motivating to me.

Specific = e.g., "run 6 miles this week" is much better than "run more"
Measurable = can you actually put a number on your goal? If you can't measure it, the goal is less motivating
Attainable = You want a challenging but not impossible goal. People tend quit immediately when the goal is out of reach. Keep it realistic.
Relevant = Relevant to your main goal (e.g., my main goal is to complete an HIM, so a relevant sub-goal might be to ride my bike 3 hours this weekend).
Time-bound = Put an end date on your goals. You will do the goal by x date. A never ending goal is much less motivating than one that is impending. This is why I race. Without the impending sense of doom, I'm unlikely to get in shape.

One of the things I like a lot about the challenge worksheet is it can be a road map of sorts to a broader goal. So, for instance, my goal was to complete IM VA 70.3 in 6 hours. That meets the SMART criteria. Specific, not vague. Can be measured by my finish time. Hopefully is attainable. Is relevant to triathlon. Has a stop date. HOWEVER, it doesn't provide a road map to get there. There is just one big goal sitting out there. To achieve it, I need multiple sub-goals which is what training plans are for. We don't really think about it, but training plans are really a series of SMART goals to work towards a bigger goal. For instance, I know i need to do a 2 hour bike ride on Friday or Saturday this week. This is specific, measurable, attainable, relevant, and time-bound. The spreadsheet also provides a road map for ancillary goals such as weight, diet, and other things that go into a bigger goal. Additionally, publicly stated goals are often more motivating than private goals, so I like that about the spreadsheet too.

Anyway, I'm sure this is probably old news to you all, but I wanted to chime in to say that there is a LOT of very good empirical research out there on this topic and making your goals SMART is known to increase your motivation and thus make them much more likely to be completed.

I absolutely love you brought the science behind goal setting. This is very helpful. I used to be case manager in social services, and had to attend tons of meetings and seminars on goal settings, as it was always part of the proposals, reports, and running the projects. I remember one of the things always repeated was that the goal has to be measurable and realistic. Which makes perfect sense. And once you have that measure that you are reaching for, plus an end date, and you track your progress as you go along - that's the great motivation.

Congrats to everyone who completed their first week challenge, keep doing the great work!
2019-01-24 9:34 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by fortissimo Does coughing non-stop count as a core workout? Whatever you guys do, do not catch the virus that has attacked our school. Trust me on this.
Oh, man, sorry to hear you have the crud.  My husband is just recovering from it now. He's been sick since Jan. 1 and required prednisone and cough med with codeine to get over it although he's still not 100%, maybe 75%?  Please take care of yourself and head to the doctor if it persists.

2019-01-24 9:36 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by ceilidh

I'm in!

I'm still thinking Lake Logan so how about post-race beers there? The more Manatees the merrier!
I really, really hope my hockey tournament isn't the same weekend as Lake Logan, I'd love to join you guys sometime!!  Unfortunately they seem to hit on the same weekend. 

Edited to add: dang it!  I just looked.  They are on the same weekend again this year.  I thought one or the other was the next week but sadly I was wrong.

Edited by melbo55 2019-01-24 9:39 AM
2019-01-24 9:38 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by fortissimo

Does coughing non-stop count as a core workout?

Whatever you guys do, do not catch the virus that has attacked our school. Trust me on this.

Oh no, I am so sorry!!! I hope it goes away and you feel better in no time!
2019-01-24 10:25 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by melbo55

I'm in!

I really, really hope my hockey tournament isn't the same weekend as Lake Logan, I'd love to join you guys sometime!!  Unfortunately they seem to hit on the same weekend. 

Edited to add: dang it!  I just looked.  They are on the same weekend again this year.  I thought one or the other was the next week but sadly I was wrong.

Oh no! That weekend is such a popular weekend! I will be in western NC for sure, but have not settled on whether i'm doing a bike event or part of the bike event and lake logan (probably the oly, but who knows!).   

2019-01-24 10:58 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Jacksonville, Florida

I'm in!

Just signed up for the Oly aquabike. Second round's on me! Although there's a possibility that might be my 3rd round, as I might have my first while I'm cheering the rest of you on during the run.
2019-01-24 10:59 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Jacksonville, Florida
Originally posted by amd723

I'm in!

Oh no! That weekend is such a popular weekend! I will be in western NC for sure, but have not settled on whether i'm doing a bike event or part of the bike event and lake logan (probably the oly, but who knows!).   

Come on, all the cool kids will be at Lake Logan! And I'll be there too.
2019-01-24 12:29 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I'm in!

Why is everyone signing up for the Oly?!

Oh...

2019-01-24 12:43 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

I'm in!

Oh...

Ha! The HIM bike course is no joke!! I don't think i've never seen people pushing their bikes up a hill (in a race)before last LL , but i can sure understand why they did!  

2019-01-24 1:32 PM

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina

Oh...

Ha! The HIM bike course is no joke!! I don't think i've never seen people pushing their bikes up a hill (in a race)before last LL , but i can sure understand why they did!  

From the SetUp Events race description website for the half: " For those who raced here or have heard the stories, Logan means breathtaking beauty, a wet-suit legal swim in the heat of the summer, a rolling bike course that is flatter than people imagine in the mountains and a shaded run course along a scenic river."

Based on what you all have said, who are they asking to imagine the bike course?!?

2019-01-24 1:39 PM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by awm007

Oh...

From the SetUp Events race description website for the half: " For those who raced here or have heard the stories, Logan means breathtaking beauty, a wet-suit legal swim in the heat of the summer, a rolling bike course that is flatter than people imagine in the mountains and a shaded run course along a scenic river." Based on what you all have said, who are they asking to imagine the bike course?!?

For a long time it was a sprint and Olympic. They added the HIM in 2014 or so. I'm pretty sure that they never updated the course description when they added it. Adam, the Oly is flatter (or at least not any worse) than something like Beaverdam. As you can see from the map above, you have the hill to get to/from the lake and that's about it. I'd say that they are addressing the Olympic distance racers with that description.

2019-01-24 2:09 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Janyne, How far the does Kevin walk? or does he do a step number?

2019-01-24 6:09 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I asked him and he says 45 minutes/3 miles

2019-01-24 6:45 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I asked him and he says 45 minutes/3 miles

For those that are wondering, every member of the Kizer family is very nice.

Enjoy the rest of your day everyone.

2019-01-24 7:34 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Oh, man, sorry to hear you have the crud.  My husband is just recovering from it now. He's been sick since Jan. 1 and required prednisone and cough med with codeine to get over it although he's still not 100%, maybe 75%?  Please take care of yourself and head to the doctor if it persists.

I was given a steroid shot and anti-inflammatory shot last week. I hate prednisone and the shot was just as bad. I also had no idea they could give an anti-inflammatory shot. I commented to my doctor on how it was us teachers who never get sick all have this. He said this virus is hitting that group first and he's seeing many of us for the first time in a few years. I then go a lecture on how we should all get check-ups once a year. I asked if this virus was a plot to get us in to we could hear that lecture haha.

I actually feel fine now except the never ending cough.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone!

2019-01-24 8:59 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Ginger, lemon tea is my go to when I feel my sinuses all messed up
2019-01-24 9:25 PM

Sorry I disappeared. Trying to nail time management...trying anyway. Any advice on logging workouts? Already have a "plan", i just don't see how spending $50 for the year is worth putting my work outs up. I would hope to spend that on a coach ( if she contacts me back :/ ) Any advice on getting my workouts logged in without $$?
2019-01-25 6:33 AM
in reply to: BIGGODlilme

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by BIGGODlilme Sorry I disappeared. Trying to nail time management...trying anyway. Any advice on logging workouts? Already have a "plan", i just don't see how spending $50 for the year is worth putting my work outs up. I would hope to spend that on a coach ( if she contacts me back :/ ) Any advice on getting my workouts logged in without $$?

Erin, it's good to see you, I hope all is well.  Time management can be tougher than the workouts themselves at times.

The first year I did tri's was done on the cheap. I used an old Timex for everything, along with a $20 Cateye speedometer for the bike. All logging was done manually, which eats up time. That year was only logged here on BT. One of the bigger challenges you may find is that most tri coaches will want you to use a different logging system, something like Training Peaks, since they can do analysis in there as a coach. There are some other inexpensive options that are a bit more costly, yet will save you a bunch of time and effort. I still use a Garmin 310xt, which you can find a refurb model on Ebay for $85 ish. With that, you can upload through your computer to Garmin Connect, which you can link to Strava, BT, Training Peaks, etc. It doesn't link straight to the cloud or connect through your phone, but it is a lower cost option that you can work with. And it can be used for running, biking and even swimming, with some finagling(put it in your swim cap, not on your arm).  I'm not too serious with my workouts at this point, but even when I was, it was a workable (albeit not the best) solution. And there is always the Smart Phone App solution. It can be used for running and biking to a degree, swimming might be a bit tougher on the phone. I am not versed in phone app solutions, but I'm sure there are options.

2019-01-25 6:37 AM
in reply to: BIGGODlilme

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by BIGGODlilme Sorry I disappeared. Trying to nail time management...trying anyway. Any advice on logging workouts? Already have a "plan", i just don't see how spending $50 for the year is worth putting my work outs up. I would hope to spend that on a coach ( if she contacts me back :/ ) Any advice on getting my workouts logged in without $$?

Do you have a watch that you use for training? What kind? If you have a Garmin watch, you can set up BT to automatically upload your files here.

Settings (From the gear in the upper right) > Training Log Settings (from the menu on the left) > Device Upload

From there you can connect the two accounts.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107