BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN- Miles and Miles ahead!!!! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 230

2010-03-22 9:24 AM
in reply to: #2739694

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN- Miles and Miles ahead!!!! CLOSED

tahrens - 2010-03-22 9:36 AM I need a little MG love this morning.  This was an EXTREMELY hard weekend on me. My youngest went to a slumber party Friday night and they didn't fall asleep until 1am.  Therefore she was a complete wreck the rest of the weekend.  (oh, and she had another B-day party Sunday afternoon - just to add to her exhaustion level).  I was her pressure valve release the entire time.  2 screaming and kicking matches later, being glued to my side, arguing over every little thing possible and of course the in-laws were here as well; all made for a vey high stressed weekend for me.  My Doug had a long brick  and with the in-laws and kids put together I haven't logged a workout since last Tuesday!!!!

I need someone to tell me something I do RIGHT, for all I heard this weekend was things that were wrong with other people and how I was the cause of it.  Cry

And what the Sh*t H*ll happened to my b-ball teams!?!?!?!?!?!

OK Sugar. For starters you are my hero. Having completed the HIM yourself and then taking on an Ironman with a bum leg. Add on top of that all the excellent advice you provide to the group and  of course the bantering which is also enjoyable. It certainly pays to have a quick wit in this SUPPORT group. Hmmm. Then there is the fact that you always have an encouraging word for whomever needs it. 

Feeling better???  Is it time for a group hug? 

Edited by Redknight 2010-03-22 9:25 AM

2010-03-22 9:46 AM
in reply to: #2739822

User image

Master
Redknight - 2010-03-22 9:24 AM

tahrens - 2010-03-22 9:36 AM I need a little MG love this morning.  This was an EXTREMELY hard weekend on me. My youngest went to a slumber party Friday night and they didn't fall asleep until 1am.  Therefore she was a complete wreck the rest of the weekend.  (oh, and she had another B-day party Sunday afternoon - just to add to her exhaustion level).  I was her pressure valve release the entire time.  2 screaming and kicking matches later, being glued to my side, arguing over every little thing possible and of course the in-laws were here as well; all made for a vey high stressed weekend for me.  My Doug had a long brick  and with the in-laws and kids put together I haven't logged a workout since last Tuesday!!!!

I need someone to tell me something I do RIGHT, for all I heard this weekend was things that were wrong with other people and how I was the cause of it.  Cry

OK Sugar. For starters you are my hero. Having completed the HIM yourself and then taking on an Ironman with a bum leg. Add on top of that all the excellent advice you provide to the group and  of course the bantering which is also enjoyable. It certainly pays to have a quick wit in this SUPPORT group. Hmmm. Then there is the fact that you always have an encouraging word for whomever needs it. 

It's totally time!!!!!!!!! There were tons of things that were my fault this weekend too... It is so draining. A good night's sleep and a strong cuppa coffee often help me re-set. But Tracey, it's clear you need to get out and get your heart rate up. Hang in there. Sometimes our lives feel so thankless. But it's usually a temporary thing and sooner or later someone's head will get screwed on properly enough to give you a hug or a thanks or to remind you how you've made their life better. We can do that for you. Thank you for helping me not feel like a dork when I wear two watches!! Tongue out 
2010-03-22 9:57 AM
in reply to: #2739872

User image

Master
Results posted, so I threw up my race report. Happy Monday to all. I heart coffee.
2010-03-22 10:02 AM
in reply to: #2739872

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
kkcbelle - 2010-03-22 10:46 AM
Redknight - 2010-03-22 9:24 AM

It's totally time!!!!!!!!! There were tons of things that were my fault this weekend too... It is so draining. A good night's sleep and a strong cuppa coffee often help me re-set. But Tracey, it's clear you need to get out and get your heart rate up. Hang in there. Sometimes our lives feel so thankless. But it's usually a temporary thing and sooner or later someone's head will get screwed on properly enough to give you a hug or a thanks or to remind you how you've made their life better. We can do that for you. Thank you for helping me not feel like a dork when I wear two watches!! Tongue out 

Hey and let's not forget that promotion you got a few weeks ago...someone thinks you are doing something right!!!!

With 3 kids, I feel your pain too.  I found out this weekend that sending them away for the weekend with the grandparents is a great thing!  My wife and I got some quality time together and when the kids come home tonight we will all be happy together (for a few hours anyway!).'

Brighter skies are coming your way!
2010-03-22 10:28 AM
in reply to: #2739665

User image

Expert
dalessit - 2010-03-22 8:25 AM Anyone using the Bontrager Aero Race Pack water bottle?

Seems like a better design than the profile.

Yep,  I like it a lot.  Plus the mount is quite handy.
2010-03-22 10:48 AM
in reply to: #2739694

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City
tahrens - 2010-03-21 9:36 AM I need a little MG love this morning.  This was an EXTREMELY hard weekend on me. My youngest went to a slumber party Friday night and they didn't fall asleep until 1am.  Therefore she was a complete wreck the rest of the weekend.  (oh, and she had another B-day party Sunday afternoon - just to add to her exhaustion level).  I was her pressure valve release the entire time.  2 screaming and kicking matches later, being glued to my side, arguing over every little thing possible and of course the in-laws were here as well; all made for a vey high stressed weekend for me.  My Doug had a long brick  and with the in-laws and kids put together I haven't logged a workout since last Tuesday!!!!

Tracy -

Ahhh...parenting. A thankless job, definitely. The example you and your husband are setting for your children by choosing healthy lifestyles is the first thing you are doing right. That's a biggie! Lots of people sit around vegging out in front of the TV eating junk food and their children follow their lead, and all eventually have major health issues. Giving your children the gift of health is priceless. As for the other things - just par for the course in parenting. I only have one child and there were/are times when I feel like I'm going to pull my hair out, it's so frustrating. But then I take a deep breath, reframe the situation, and count my lucky stars that I have such an awesome son.

You're doing great! Hang in there! 

2010-03-22 12:18 PM
in reply to: #2738611

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
kkcbelle - 2010-03-21 12:26 PM Home from my run!! I did not do what I was supposed to AT ALL, LOL!! Had a great run with a friend of mine, Heidi. I was a Garmin-Tard and had all sorts of issues with that, but according to Heidi I was about a 1:51:30, and we negative-split the course after going out faster than I was supposed to. Last time I raced the course I was a 2:03, so that's awesome for me, and only about 1:00 off my PR, which is from a much easier course.

All of the fun was really dampened at the end, though, when walking to our shuttle, we saw a guy go down about 20 yards from the finish. Eyes rolled up in his head, foamed at the mouth... a friend with us is an ICU nurse and she hopped the fence to help, but then backed off as more people came around to help. It felt like a LONG time for the medics to get there. "Ken" did not have a pulse, they were doing CPR and had to pull out the de-fib -- it was really freaking me out. We hung around until the ambulance got there, and they had a pulse when we left, but man, it put it all into perspective very quickly. He was young (30's?), not overweight, and so close to the finish. Of course we knew nothing of his overall health (diabetic? heart condition? not enough fluids? too many fluids? who knows...). So sad. It REALLY freaked me out. *sigh* Hug your families, folks. 

Did you see 3 dumb guys biking out the course with you?? (All 3 of us had Cervelo's)  That was us!  It was hard to find anyone w/ the number of people they had out there!  Great job on your race... That is not a course for PR'S!!! You did great!  Weather held up nicely for you!
2010-03-22 12:48 PM
in reply to: #2555972

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
BTW - Southwest changed their policy and bikes fly free if they fall under certain weight (50 lbs) and dimension requirements (can't remember).  They made the annoucement a week or so ago.  Basically, they can count as one of your 2 free bags.
2010-03-22 12:51 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Thanks for all the support guys.  I knew I could count on you.  I needed that.  I know everyone with kids goes through these days,  guess I've been getting off too easy and got them all strung together. 

On a happier note, I made a few observations at the marathon this weekend.

HOW TO SPOT A TRIATHLETE AT A MARATHON:

1. shaved legs - obvious
2. compression gear - anyone with compression calf sleeves had shaved legs - nothing on the hairy guys.  Heck, they barely had any clothes on at all
3.  Garmins
4. race belts - runners pin the number to their shorts
5. fuel belts (sometimes in combination with race belts)
6. YANKS
7.  previous race gear (ex. IM hats, shirts) - lots of "runners" were sporting cotton t's or bare chested.  It was 45 degrees for goddness sakes
8.  Said "I need more cowbell" to me
9.  thanked the police officers and volunteers (I don't mean that runners didn't but everyone that I knew who was a triathlete said thank you - that made me proud)
10. were not the top 10 gazelles winning the race
2010-03-22 1:09 PM
in reply to: #2740438

User image

Champion
marietta
sdalessio - 2010-03-22 12:48 PM BTW - Southwest changed their policy and bikes fly free if they fall under certain weight (50 lbs) and dimension requirements (can't remember).  They made the annoucement a week or so ago.  Basically, they can count as one of your 2 free bags.

i'm not a bike box expert.   but since this is the third time this has been brought up here recently i figure i'd throw this put.  from what i understand most bike boxes do not meet SWA dimension requirements.  i know the boxes my tri club has don't meet the requirements.   

i guess what i'm saying is double check before you get to the counter.  that's a lot of beer money!

Edited by fattyfatfat 2010-03-22 1:10 PM
2010-03-22 1:23 PM
in reply to: #2740450

User image

Champion
marietta
tahrens - 2010-03-22 12:51 PM Thanks for all the support guys.  I knew I could count on you.  I needed that.  I know everyone with kids goes through these days,  guess I've been getting off too easy and got them all strung together. 

1. shaved legs - obvious
2. compression gear - anyone with compression calf sleeves had shaved legs - nothing on the hairy guys.  Heck, they barely had any clothes on at all
3.  Garmins
6. YANKS
7.  previous race gear (ex. IM hats, shirts) - lots of "runners" were sporting cotton t's or bare chested.  It was 45 degrees for goddness sakes
9.  thanked the police officers and volunteers (I don't mean that runners didn't but everyone that I knew who was a triathlete said thank you - that made me proud)

crap.  i'm not a triathlete.  well, you already knew that.  then only two that apply to me are 9 & 10. 

2010-03-22 1:30 PM
in reply to: #2740552

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
fattyfatfat - 2010-03-22 2:23 PM
tahrens - 2010-03-22 12:51 PM Thanks for all the support guys.  I knew I could count on you.  I needed that.  I know everyone with kids goes through these days,  guess I've been getting off too easy and got them all strung together. 

1. shaved legs - obvious
3.  Garmins
6. YANKS

crap.  i'm not a triathlete.  well, you already knew that.  then only two that apply to me are 9 & 10. 

Eeew, you don't shave your legs!?!??!   Steve -get on him for that please.

I'm guilty of #1,3,4,5,7,9,10

Edited by tahrens 2010-03-22 1:30 PM
2010-03-22 2:57 PM
in reply to: #2740589

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
tahrens - 2010-03-22 12:30 PM

1. shaved legs - obvious
3.  Garmins
6. YANKS

Good thread Tracy...I'm #2,#3,#4,#5,#9,#10..really heavily weighted #10!!
2010-03-22 3:02 PM
in reply to: #2740506

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
fattyfatfat - 2010-03-22 2:09 PM
sdalessio - 2010-03-22 12:48 PM BTW - Southwest changed their policy and bikes fly free if they fall under certain weight (50 lbs) and dimension requirements (can't remember).  They made the annoucement a week or so ago.  Basically, they can count as one of your 2 free bags.

i'm not a bike box expert.   but since this is the third time this has been brought up here recently i figure i'd throw this put.  from what i understand most bike boxes do not meet SWA dimension requirements.  i know the boxes my tri club has don't meet the requirements.   

i guess what i'm saying is double check before you get to the counter.  that's a lot of beer money!

Yeah if you read more into it. SWA was just reiterating that bikes would fly for free if they fit in the 60 L+W+H dimension.  Whch no real bike would.  Still cheaper than most though.
2010-03-22 3:03 PM
in reply to: #2740905

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
TrevorC - 2010-03-22 3:57 PM
tahrens - 2010-03-22 12:30 PM

1. shaved legs - obvious
3.  Garmins
6. YANKS

Good thread Tracy...I'm #2,#3,#4,#5,#9,#10..really heavily weighted #10!!

#1, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #9, #10
2010-03-22 4:40 PM
in reply to: #2740340

User image

Master
swbkrun - 2010-03-22 12:18 PM
kkcbelle - 2010-03-21 12:26 PM Home from my run!! I did not do what I was supposed to AT ALL, LOL!! Had a great run with a friend of mine, Heidi. I was a Garmin-Tard and had all sorts of issues with that, but according to Heidi I was about a 1:51:30, and we negative-split the course after going out faster than I was supposed to. Last time I raced the course I was a 2:03, so that's awesome for me, and only about 1:00 off my PR, which is from a much easier course.

All of the fun was really dampened at the end, though, when walking to our shuttle, we saw a guy go down about 20 yards from the finish. Eyes rolled up in his head, foamed at the mouth... a friend with us is an ICU nurse and she hopped the fence to help, but then backed off as more people came around to help. It felt like a LONG time for the medics to get there. "Ken" did not have a pulse, they were doing CPR and had to pull out the de-fib -- it was really freaking me out. We hung around until the ambulance got there, and they had a pulse when we left, but man, it put it all into perspective very quickly. He was young (30's?), not overweight, and so close to the finish. Of course we knew nothing of his overall health (diabetic? heart condition? not enough fluids? too many fluids? who knows...). So sad. It REALLY freaked me out. *sigh* Hug your families, folks. 

Did you see 3 dumb guys biking out the course with you?? (All 3 of us had Cervelo's)  That was us!  It was hard to find anyone w/ the number of people they had out there!  Great job on your race... That is not a course for PR'S!!! You did great!  Weather held up nicely for you!

I did see those dumb guys!! Saw them almost get taken out once as a car approached, LOL!! I noticed one guy on a Cervelo at least, with a couple of others but didn't catch all of the bikes. I was busy. But yeah, saw 'em a few times. I was the hot chick in the pink striped Nike tank top (took off the long sleeves around mile 3?), running with the other hot chick in a VO2Mutlisport tank. We were both wearing capris and kicking arse left and right. Did you see us??!!

And a friend just posted this to my FB page, so this is a huge relief. Does anyone know anything about induced comas and why they do it? I don't think the nurse they are referencing here is my friend -- she was in and out pretty quickly as more and more people came to his aid -- but I will ask her if she started mouth-to-mouth:

Emergency medical attention was required when a male runner collapsed within feet of the Rotary Half-Marathon finish line on Sunday. According to Sam Sullivan, director of the Mercer Island Rotary Run, as of March 22, the man was still hospitalized in an induced coma but breathing on his own. Doctors are optimistic for a good recovery.

"The fact that an ER nurse was right there [at the finish line] and started CPR immediately was very fortuitous," Sullivan said. "There was also a spectator, a woman, who jumped the barricade and administered mouth to mouth."

In all of the emergency chaos, Sullivan said that nobody identified the ER nurse, a race participant, who resuscitated the man. His family is asking anyone who might know the nurse's name to report it, so they can thank him personally.

Edited by kkcbelle 2010-03-22 4:42 PM

2010-03-22 5:10 PM
in reply to: #2740552

User image

Elite
Raleigh

1. shaved legs - obvious
3.  Garmins
6. YANKS

I especailly relate to item 10! I meet 3,4 9 and 10. I chose to leave the compression socks and fuel belt in the truck.

And BTW Tracy, you and Doug gave me a good smile at the marathon, so you did that right!

Doug
2010-03-22 5:29 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
I missed quite a few things today!!!

Tracy--you do a lot of things right.  Remember when you talked about how proud you were of your daughter and showed us a pic of her on the horse? what about them running happily? what about the support you give Doug in his races?  All of that was because you cared for them!

Kyla--I only know one instance of a triathlete being put into an induced coma and it was for brain swelling. This person was found unconsious in the water while on a long swim during IM training.  For her it was not a good sign and the doctors said basically the same thing Ken's did.  I hope this is not similar.

To the males with no leg or chest hair--how do you do it? and does it look like you don't have hair there or do you see stubble?  I look the no hair look a lot Wink.  If you solve this issue for me, I don't need to ask Steve next week when he is here! 
2010-03-22 5:34 PM
in reply to: #2741258

User image

Champion
marietta
kkcbelle - 2010-03-22 4:40 PM

I was the hot chick in the pink striped Nike tank top...

no
2010-03-22 5:49 PM
in reply to: #2741258

User image

Pro
kkcbelle - 2010-03-22 2:40 PM
swbkrun - 2010-03-22 12:18 PM

I did see those dumb guys!! Saw them almost get taken out once as a car approached, LOL!! I noticed one guy on a Cervelo at least, with a couple of others but didn't catch all of the bikes. I was busy. But yeah, saw 'em a few times. I was the hot chick in the pink striped Nike tank top (took off the long sleeves around mile 3?), running with the other hot chick in a VO2Mutlisport tank. We were both wearing capris and kicking arse left and right. Did you see us??!!

And a friend just posted this to my FB page, so this is a huge relief. Does anyone know anything about induced comas and why they do it? I don't think the nurse they are referencing here is my friend -- she was in and out pretty quickly as more and more people came to his aid -- but I will ask her if she started mouth-to-mouth:

Emergency medical attention was required when a male runner collapsed within feet of the Rotary Half-Marathon finish line on Sunday. According to Sam Sullivan, director of the Mercer Island Rotary Run, as of March 22, the man was still hospitalized in an induced coma but breathing on his own. Doctors are optimistic for a good recovery.

"The fact that an ER nurse was right there [at the finish line] and started CPR immediately was very fortuitous," Sullivan said. "There was also a spectator, a woman, who jumped the barricade and administered mouth to mouth."

In all of the emergency chaos, Sullivan said that nobody identified the ER nurse, a race participant, who resuscitated the man. His family is asking anyone who might know the nurse's name to report it, so they can thank him personally.

That person almost getting taken out was Ryan.... He is still working on his biking skills (the handling part that is).  What is funny is the only time we really saw people we knew is when they spotted us.  It was crazy busy!  Stupid on our part, but still a little fun!

That is somewhat of good news about the runner!  Hope he comes out of this ok!

John---- Until you know the feeling of rubbing you legs together like a cricket w/ fresh clean sheets on the bed...... Oh boy you don't know what you are missing!!

Edited by swbkrun 2010-03-22 6:33 PM
2010-03-22 6:47 PM
in reply to: #2741343

User image

Pro
SSMinnow - 2010-03-22 3:29 PM I missed quite a few things today!!!

To the males with no leg or chest hair--how do you do it? and does it look like you don't have hair there or do you see stubble?  I look the no hair look a lot Wink.  If you solve this issue for me, I don't need to ask Steve next week when he is here! 

No secret here... I steal Kim's Razor and that fruity smelling shaving cream and get after it....  We often compare legs to see who's are smoother.  NO STUBBLE!!! NOT COOL (although I slip a little in the winter)!

2010-03-22 7:22 PM
in reply to: #2740450

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

tahrens - 2010-03-22 1:51 PM Thanks for all the support guys.  I knew I could count on you.  I needed that.  I know everyone with kids goes through these days,  guess I've been getting off too easy and got them all strung together. 

1. shaved legs - obvious
3.  Garmins
6. YANKS

Let's see 4, 5 ,6 7, 9 and 10.  NO leg shaving for me. If I'm not shaving my back, arms, chest and head then I am definitely not shaving my legs. Maybe a bikini wax but that is as far as I go

2010-03-22 8:04 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
hmmmm.  not sure where to comment first.   rubbing legs like crickets or stealing kim's razor.

how about i just go with shaved legs ain't gonna move my fat a$$ any faster and leave it be.  for now. 

2010-03-22 8:48 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
File:Fried crickets in Cambodia.jpg

mmm throw these babies in the bedsheets. Kims razors? really? you don't even have your own?
2010-03-22 8:53 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
that's lone star pre-race meal.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN- Miles and Miles ahead!!!! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 230