BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2014-06-03 11:36 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors: We Will Stalk You (Open)
Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Hallllooooooooooooooooooo Manatees!!!  Holy crap, so much going on in here... where to begin? 

Erin - looks like an awesome vacay with the kiddos... bears, kayaks and new (to you) cars, oh my!

Tom - Did I just read that you were top 10% at your race??  Freakin' AWESOME!!  

JJ - yeahhhhhh... I really have no words for whatever is going on with the riding an emu bareback thing...  

Salty - You just effing ROCK!  Seriously, woman - you are amazing!  

As for me... my crazy world is a tad crazier as I just happened to be on CraigsList Friday night where almost the exact job that I'm doing now is posted for Austin and on a whim I applied for it... Lo and behold I got a response from the recruiter less than an hour later setting up a Skype interview for Saturday morning.  I have the Skype interview and it goes really well, so she puts me forward for the position and I have a phone interview with them tomorrow at 1:30pm.  YIKES!  

This is gettin' REAL!  

Wheee! Good luck!

2014-06-04 7:59 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by melbo55

Jonathan?!

Actually had me laughing out loud (not just saying, "LOLz" as my kids do - without actually laughing out loud many times).  

Salty - welcome back!  Glad it was a speedy recovery, although what other kind would you have?    Don't push harder than you should push coming back (I know you know, but as a former doc, I have to say that!).  

Matt

2014-06-04 8:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Hallllooooooooooooooooooo Manatees!!!  Holy crap, so much going on in here... where to begin? 

Erin - looks like an awesome vacay with the kiddos... bears, kayaks and new (to you) cars, oh my!

Tom - Did I just read that you were top 10% at your race??  Freakin' AWESOME!!  

JJ - yeahhhhhh... I really have no words for whatever is going on with the riding an emu bareback thing...  

Salty - You just effing ROCK!  Seriously, woman - you are amazing!  

As for me... my crazy world is a tad crazier as I just happened to be on CraigsList Friday night where almost the exact job that I'm doing now is posted for Austin and on a whim I applied for it... Lo and behold I got a response from the recruiter less than an hour later setting up a Skype interview for Saturday morning.  I have the Skype interview and it goes really well, so she puts me forward for the position and I have a phone interview with them tomorrow at 1:30pm.  YIKES!  

This is gettin' REAL!  

You're going to crush it!  Just remember to get in a mini-taper before the call.    Would the timing work out for both of you, or is there staggering involved?

I'll find out if we're moving to Austin probably this Friday or Saturday.  Hopefully we'll be neighbors!  

Best of luck to you!!

Matt

2014-06-04 8:36 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Jonathan?!

Actually had me laughing out loud (not just saying, "LOLz" as my kids do - without actually laughing out loud many times).  

Salty - welcome back!  Glad it was a speedy recovery, although what other kind would you have?    Don't push harder than you should push coming back (I know you know, but as a former doc, I have to say that!).  

Matt

Hey! It's my Ironman Japan ostriches! (I *know* there were ostriches running around there. There WERE.)

2014-06-04 8:53 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Jonathan?!

Matt

Hey! It's my Ironman Japan ostriches! (I *know* there were ostriches running around there. There WERE.)

I'd take an ostrich over an angry monkey!
2014-06-04 8:55 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Jonathan?!

Matt

speaking of races, hows that RR coming?  some of us have a lot riding on its completion

2014-06-04 8:56 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

This is gettin' REAL!  

Oh my gosh, that is so exciting!!  I even got a little shiver of nervous excitement down my spine for you!  Good luck, girl, I know you will nail it!

2014-06-04 8:58 AM
in reply to: JJ-

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by JJ-

Back to the original question before I turned into a girl riding an ostrich,

I think I ride a Plus right now. I've ridden all of them. Being a local to Cobb Cycling has it's advantages sometimes.

Thanks for getting us back on track

Since I don't know of any ostrich farms local to me, I'm going to stick with the search for the perfect BICYCLE saddle :p

I'm excited to try them out this week! My legs are fried today so I really shouldn't go out tonight.....but I MIGHT!!! Last night was the free demo night at the site of the local weekly off road tri. I did 6/10 last year and loved it but it wrecked me for the next day so I said this year I'd only do a few as relay team. Well that went out the window and I signed up for 5. I'll still do the relay thing but this way I got a tech shirt too (all about the swag, right?). I'm such a sucker!

Oh and Salty - welcome back. You are a machine!!
2014-06-04 9:09 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

I went to a screening of Half the Road last night. Wow. I would highly recommend it if it is playing in your area. It was impressively put together, had some key folks both as narrators (Bob Roll, the one and only 'Bobke') and as athletes featured in the discussion (for lack of a better word) such as Kristin Armstrong, Chrissie Wellington, Katherine Switzer, just to name a few. Olympians and world champions as well as up-and-comers, racers past and present.

The information presented was both informative and infuriating, at times. It's a shame some men, and unfortunately those in high positions of influence for women's cycling (UCI), don't live in a 2014 mindset but rather one of 1920 when it comes to the athletic abilities of women. There were also high points and many males (sponsors, team managers) who do believe women have a place in competitive cycling, which is refreshing to see for the growth of the sport. There will also be one day of this year's Tour de France in which the women will get to race. I think I was one of the signers of the petition last summer to try to get women to be able to race in the TdF.

Edited by melbo55 2014-06-04 9:10 AM
2014-06-04 9:25 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by amd723

Jonathan?!

Matt

speaking of races, hows that RR coming?  some of us have a lot riding on its completion

I know I should let this go, but what exactly are you riding on?  (I was still laughing about this on my way in to work this morning, btw.)

2014-06-04 9:38 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by amd723

Jonathan?!

Matt

I know I should let this go, but what exactly are you riding on?  (I was still laughing about this on my way in to work this morning, btw.)

ha, ha - it's not an ostrich and I'm not riding on "it", but a beer is!  Chris and I have a little bet over which will come first from Yanti - her IM race report or her next IM race.

2014-06-04 9:56 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

A'right, A'right, step aside, emo mom coming through...

So I waited to tell y'all about this until I was relatively sure it's going to happen.  Now I'm relatively sure it's going to happen.

This Sunday DS2 leaves to go back to SoCal to "graduate" from UCLA. He's not walking or I'd be going too. Anyway... he'll be back in about a week. Then sometime in the very near future he will be leaving for *gulp* Navy bootcamp. He's been talking for some time about whether to go on to medical school or go in to the navy. As things fell in to place it looked more like Navy. I am proud as punch in one heartbeat and scared to death the next.

Because he has a college degree and because he basically aced all of the tests they threw at him he will be going in to either the intelligence program or the nuclear (or nucular) program. Soooooo it looks like DH and I will be making a trip to Great Lakes, Illinois in a few weeks for his first graduation. Then he'll be headed to more school for whichever program he ends up in.

Of course, part of me is also mourning the loss of my best race buddy. Hopefully he'll still be able to do RnR Denver, and hopefully we can still squeeze in a few more in and around his school schedule before they send him wherever they send those top secret braniac types.

*sigh*

2014-06-04 10:03 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by rrrunner

So I waited to tell y'all about this until I was relatively sure it's going to happen.  Now I'm relatively sure it's going to happen.

This Sunday DS2 leaves to go back to SoCal to "graduate" from UCLA. He's not walking or I'd be going too. Anyway... he'll be back in about a week. Then sometime in the very near future he will be leaving for *gulp* Navy bootcamp. He's been talking for some time about whether to go on to medical school or go in to the navy. As things fell in to place it looked more like Navy. I am proud as punch in one heartbeat and scared to death the next.

Because he has a college degree and because he basically aced all of the tests they threw at him he will be going in to either the intelligence program or the nuclear (or nucular) program. Soooooo it looks like DH and I will be making a trip to Great Lakes, Illinois in a few weeks for his first graduation. Then he'll be headed to more school for whichever program he ends up in.

Of course, part of me is also mourning the loss of my best race buddy. Hopefully he'll still be able to do RnR Denver, and hopefully we can still squeeze in a few more in and around his school schedule before they send him wherever they send those top secret braniac types.

*sigh*

Congratulations!  I know how proud you must be!

My parents met (and married) when my dad was stationed at Great Lakes. 

2014-06-04 10:06 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

*sigh*

Congratulations to DS2!!!  That is so  very exciting for him!  Your fluctuating emotions are certainly understandable.   

2014-06-04 10:22 AM

User image

Denver, CO

*sigh*

Proud as punch, scared to death, sad to lose your best racing buddy:  all very understandable emotions.  What a roller coaster!  Congrats to him and wishing him well, and (((hugs))) to you.

2014-06-04 10:36 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

*sigh*

Sounds like you raised a good one!!  Hopefully you can keep your racing connection going through his training.  Best of luck to him (and you, emo mom!)!

2014-06-04 11:00 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Coastal Carolina
TJ- That's awesome and if he ends up in the Nuke school he will be in Charleston SC for his training. Congratulations to you both!

Salty- Glad to see you back, although I'm a bit out of the know what did you do to yourself ?!?!

Mel- I'm a bit odd on the drainer I listen to audio books especially for non interval rides. Allows my head to float off while still keeping track of the numbers.

As far as saddles go I have a basic Bontrager on my road bike that I've never had an issue on and got an adamo for my tri bike. For whatever reason I could never get comfortable on the stock tri saddle.

OK so what I'm getting from y'all is to do something, anything, ye gods and little fishies get active! I can get to the point of the first few weeks of the lesson plan but I will have to build for that. Some of that decision was made for me today though I got a call from the Secret Service I have my written test with them the 25th and after that is the physical fitness test. It's not as harsh as the DEA exam was but I will need to put some concerted effort into it to ensure I pass. I only get one chance or I have to wait 6 months and another job announcement, last announcement they had was 2011 and it got cancelled due to budget issues. It is push ups, situps, Illionois agility test and 1.5 mile run. So not completely outside of S/B/R. So now I need to decide if I'll take the job if offered, has been a goal of mine since High School but I'm fairly well established here in Charleston and my folks are talking about retiring down here as well. It's a two year process from where I'm at right now to actual job offer so my wife and I will have time to think on it.

OK with that I'm off to get my grad school work finished and get ready for an Ohio trip for DW's brother's graduation this weekend. I am going for a ride today or tomorrow though!

On an unrelated note anyone has recommendations for a good insole for boots if you are on your feet 10 hours a day? Currently have the green fleet feet but my feet still kill me by the end of the week.
2014-06-04 11:13 AM
in reply to: Tripopo

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by Tripopo I can get to the point of the first few weeks of the lesson plan but I will have to build for that. Some of that decision was made for me today though I got a call from the Secret Service I have my written test with them the 25th and after that is the physical fitness test. It's not as harsh as the DEA exam was but I will need to put some concerted effort into it to ensure I pass. I only get one chance or I have to wait 6 months and another job announcement, last announcement they had was 2011 and it got cancelled due to budget issues. It is push ups, situps, Illionois agility test and 1.5 mile run. So not completely outside of S/B/R. So now I need to decide if I'll take the job if offered, has been a goal of mine since High School but I'm fairly well established here in Charleston and my folks are talking about retiring down here as well. It's a two year process from where I'm at right now to actual job offer so my wife and I will have time to think on it.

Very exciting!!  Good luck! Great way to get started on your training too.  When's the physical fitness test, or do you know yet?

All kinds of potential job changes - the Manatees are in high demand. And why not?  We're truly an exceptional group! 

2014-06-04 11:15 AM
in reply to: Tripopo

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Thanks to you all for your support! I don't want this to be about me but a momma's emotions are strong.

Kirk, I think he did mention SC! Maybe that'll be my excuse to come meet some more Manatees and visit my kid!

So yesterday I spent several hours sitting in a car with a co-worker who was a Marine. (Of course I took the opportunity to bend his ear about the whole DS2 thing.) He is Navajo and he and I have talked in the past about the Code-Talkers, his grandfather was one. When we were coming back from Phoenix last month Chester Nez, the last living Code-Talker, was on our plane and my co-worker stopped and gave him respect, in Navajo of course. Well Chester Nez died today and I feel honored to have witnessed that communication and still all the more emotional about those who serve our country.

2014-06-04 11:20 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Tripopo TJ- That's awesome and if he ends up in the Nuke school he will be in Charleston SC for his training. Congratulations to you both! Salty- Glad to see you back, although I'm a bit out of the know what did you do to yourself ?!?! Mel- I'm a bit odd on the drainer I listen to audio books especially for non interval rides. Allows my head to float off while still keeping track of the numbers. As far as saddles go I have a basic Bontrager on my road bike that I've never had an issue on and got an adamo for my tri bike. For whatever reason I could never get comfortable on the stock tri saddle. OK so what I'm getting from y'all is to do something, anything, ye gods and little fishies get active! I can get to the point of the first few weeks of the lesson plan but I will have to build for that. Some of that decision was made for me today though I got a call from the Secret Service I have my written test with them the 25th and after that is the physical fitness test. It's not as harsh as the DEA exam was but I will need to put some concerted effort into it to ensure I pass. I only get one chance or I have to wait 6 months and another job announcement, last announcement they had was 2011 and it got cancelled due to budget issues. It is push ups, situps, Illionois agility test and 1.5 mile run. So not completely outside of S/B/R. So now I need to decide if I'll take the job if offered, has been a goal of mine since High School but I'm fairly well established here in Charleston and my folks are talking about retiring down here as well. It's a two year process from where I'm at right now to actual job offer so my wife and I will have time to think on it. OK with that I'm off to get my grad school work finished and get ready for an Ohio trip for DW's brother's graduation this weekend. I am going for a ride today or tomorrow though! On an unrelated note anyone has recommendations for a good insole for boots if you are on your feet 10 hours a day? Currently have the green fleet feet but my feet still kill me by the end of the week.

You would likely be able to get back to Charleston even if not immediately. I think most of the Federal LEO agencies have some type of office of preference programs. We had to suffer through 6 years in Omaha before we made it to Santa Fe but if I really wanted to get back to Colorado I could do that by putting in for open laterals or *ugh* management.

And ya can't complain about retirement at 57!

Edited by rrrunner 2014-06-04 11:21 AM
2014-06-04 11:23 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Thanks to you all for your support! I don't want this to be about me but a momma's emotions are strong.

Kirk, I think he did mention SC! Maybe that'll be my excuse to come meet some more Manatees and visit my kid!

So yesterday I spent several hours sitting in a car with a co-worker who was a Marine. (Of course I took the opportunity to bend his ear about the whole DS2 thing.) He is Navajo and he and I have talked in the past about the Code-Talkers, his grandfather was one. When we were coming back from Phoenix last month Chester Nez, the last living Code-Talker, was on our plane and my co-worker stopped and gave him respect, in Navajo of course. Well Chester Nez died today and I feel honored to have witnessed that communication and still all the more emotional about those who serve our country.

What a powerful moment and so timely to your situation.  Definitely news to cause one to stop and think about the Code-Talkers' legacy, which is so often forgotten.  Thanks for sharing.  RIP, Chester Nez.

2014-06-04 12:20 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-06-04 12:43 PM

Simsbury, Connecticut

*sigh*

AWESOME!!!

Congrats to you and your family!

and "It's nucular, dummy, the S is silent!"
2014-06-04 12:50 PM

Veteran
Cleveland, Tennessee

*sigh*

It will be an incredible transition for him and you. Many of us servive Basic and everything that follows. Enjoy the journey and spend plenty of time together.

Tell him Congrats on the graduation and good luck in the Navy!
2014-06-04 12:50 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Question for the Manatees

I am thinking about doing a ride that requires that we have bike lights because it goes through a blind tunnel "that will absolutely require a front light as riders will not be able to see which way is up when in the tunnel."   Suggestions?

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.
date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.