BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-08-12 8:20 AM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS!!!
I am racing a sprint saturday in Roxboro, NC : 750m OWS, 15 miles bike, 5K run. It was only $20 entry fee to race, so why not?

Edited by DougRob 2009-08-12 8:20 AM

2009-08-12 8:51 AM

User image

Regular
Seymour, IN
Tracy, thanks for thinking of me.  But I'm not concerned about competing.  I was just shocked that I could average 19 mph and still be that far back in my AG.  And the problem with Clydes is I am still 60 pounds over that threshold so the guy that ways 201 has a big advantage either way.  This is personal challenge.

Suzy, where are the swim pics?  I haven't seen any.  BTW, if the high elbow guy is anywhere near the front...no it's not me.

Trevor, be careful taunting Suzy.  She'll reach up and punch you in the knee!  Laughing

This weekend.  MAY do a sprint in Indy on Sunday. Tiller is supposed to have a try out for one of the better baseball teams in the midwest.  If that doesn't happen then we'll probably hit the race.
2009-08-12 9:24 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Good morning all you happy campers,

Rob and Stan - great photos guys.  Rob, your next photo posting will be from your HALF IRON MAN!!!  I am so excited for you!  Remember when you and I started??!?!!?!

Dannette - just my 2 cents, but if your company will pay for the course and it is only a week long, I would take it.  It is always nice to have options and expand your skills set - especially in this economy

Steve - I want a photo too!  I'll put you on my race wall between my finishers medals and my autographed jersery from George Hincapie!  Special place of honor!

No racing for me but I am scheduled to run 12 miles this weekend.  Ugh!  I haven't run that far since my HIM, but technically I didn't run that far even then so lets see if  I can actually make the distance this time

Question for the group:  and I can't believe I am asking this out loud.  I am suppose to swim with some people tonight for open water practice.   I really don't like being the slowest one in the group.  Not for ego reasons, but b/c they always wait for me at the end of each length  and I feel like I am holding the group back.  So I was thinking about sporting my swim fins for todays swim.  It is suppose to be very choppy today with our storms so the extra speed and assistance swimming would help out.  What do you guys think?  I can't make up my mind on this one?
2009-08-12 9:36 AM
in reply to: #2343191

User image

Expert
B'ham

SSMinnow - 2009-08-12 4:07 AM It's Wednesday and you know what that means.....Who's racing this weekend? where? how long? what are the goals?

Is it Wednesday already?  This vacation is going by much too quickly.  We're leaving our river property today to head back to civilization.  I had a nice ride yesterday with lots of climbing, felt like much more than indicated by my Garmin.  Cut my run short this morning, plan called for 7, but I only managed five - my legs were shot from yesterday. 

Hope everyone is having a good week and good luck to those racing this weekend!!

2009-08-12 9:38 AM
in reply to: #2343556

User image

Elite
Raleigh
tahrens - 2009-08-12 9:24 AM Good morning all you happy campers,

Rob and Stan - great photos guys.  Rob, your next photo posting will be from your HALF IRON MAN!!!  I am so excited for you!  Remember when you and I started??!?!!?!

Dannette - just my 2 cents, but if your company will pay for the course and it is only a week long, I would take it.  It is always nice to have options and expand your skills set - especially in this economy

Steve - I want a photo too!  I'll put you on my race wall between my finishers medals and my autographed jersery from George Hincapie!  Special place of honor!

No racing for me but I am scheduled to run 12 miles this weekend.  Ugh!  I haven't run that far since my HIM, but technically I didn't run that far even then so lets see if  I can actually make the distance this time

Question for the group:  and I can't believe I am asking this out loud.  I am suppose to swim with some people tonight for open water practice.   I really don't like being the slowest one in the group.  Not for ego reasons, but b/c they always wait for me at the end of each length  and I feel like I am holding the group back.  So I was thinking about sporting my swim fins for todays swim.  It is suppose to be very choppy today with our storms so the extra speed and assistance swimming would help out.  What do you guys think?  I can't make up my mind on this one?

Tracy:

If you are swimming with the JLOWS group, don't worry about it. I have done this a few times and they wait at the end of every 800 yds. regardless (except Mark who swims by himself). You will not be hoding the group up. I would skip the fins.

Doug
2009-08-12 10:03 AM
in reply to: #2343589

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia

Busy weekend but no races, playing Golf on Saturday with my son, brother and friend, going to see a minor league BB game and Sunday have a 16 miler.

2009-08-12 10:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Danett- just my 2 cents..  Why not pursue both?  I'm with Tracy, anytime you can increase your skill set, it's a huge plus.  Obviously your bosses think you can handle it so why not go for it?  Plus going to seminary and getting a counseling degree takes some time even after you get the reference.  So why not take a class that helps increase your pay to help pay for the classes you might need to pay for down the road?

Have you asked your pastor about ways you can handle your emotional issue?  ie steps you should take, people you should talk to.  If he's the one who's responsible for giving you the reference, involve him from the beginning.  This way he can see from the beginning the progress you're making and he knows the people that you're working with to improve your issues.  I'm pretty sure Redeemer has people you can talk to or they can point you in the right direction.

Thanks for asking about the apt..  It's a huge mess at this pt (it's a long long story) but in brief last week they agreed to give us the exclusive right to the apt if we finish our due diligence on the place and give a 10% deposit by last Friday.  So our lawyer and my wife and I worked non stop last week looking at old condo docs (docs were over a foot thick) and association docs, went over the place with our GC and architect finished negotiated the contract and sent the deposit by last Friday.  We found out yesterday that the wife and husband are going through a divorce and the husband countersigned the contract but the wife doesn't want to sign because she wants to be able to lease the apt for 9 months.  So now we're dealing with this and trying to figure out what schools to call and apply for our son.  In a few weeks it's d-day for calling for applications for pre-schools.  Most schools only give out a certain number of applications (or it's by lottery) so on the day they accept requests for applications it's a frenzy..  Many people have their friends and family help them call since the recommended number of schools you should apply to  is 8-10.  It's nuts (for preschool)..  I have friends that moved out of the city so they don't have to deal with this.  I just hope we don't have to apply to 16 schools, 8 in our current location and 8 in the potential future location.  I may have to hire some callers!
2009-08-12 10:08 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Tracy--- No fins.  Don't be that girl.  Give yourself credit!  You'll be fine!  I am working on the pictures... Trying to email them to people, put them on flickr, etc...  But the best picture is right here:

(Man.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Man.JPG (14KB - 23 downloads)
2009-08-12 10:11 AM

User image

Pro
My big plans for the weekend----

Saturday-Finding a way to waste 5 hours while my wife host a baby shower for her friend @ our house (Ryan I will be contacting you about a ride with me !)  By the way Ryan's b-day is on Saturday!

Sunday-Watch Ryan go Sub 5 @ Lake Steven's 70.3 and and and.... That's it!
2009-08-12 10:12 AM
in reply to: #2342941

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
TrevorC - 2009-08-11 9:40 PM Hey Suz....Were you in the triathlon this wekend where that lady drowned? I thought I read Oshkosh...

Yep, I was doing the Oly and she was doing the Sprint.  I saw an ambulance when I was on the bike, but didn't have any idea it was the lady who drowned.  This is the second Midwest Sports event this season that has had a drowning.  We have had a total of three since May.  The first two were heart related, but the autopsy on this lady came back with nothing.  They are waiting for the labs.

All I can say is IMO there were not enough boats on the water.  The Oly was an out and back and the only boats following this course were 650 yards away at the turnaround.  Not sure what the situation was for the sprint.  Not saying that was the issue, but I hope that RDs think about this a little more.  My HIM has the reputation for not having enough safety personnel and the Super Sprint to HIM are all on the course at the exact same time.  Not sure how that is going to work,but I am going to be extra careful even if it costs me minutes.  Rather come out to ride the bike than not.
2009-08-12 10:13 AM
in reply to: #2343692

User image

Champion
swbkrun - 2009-08-12 10:11 AM My big plans for the weekend----

Saturday-Finding a way to waste 5 hours while my wife host a baby shower for her friend @ our house (Ryan I will be contacting you about a ride with me !)  By the way Ryan's b-day is on Saturday!

AND WHAT????

Is he going to pop the question?  This is the first thing I think about when a guy gets cagey....

Uhm, I think I would rather see the socks....you are looking a little feminine (thus the pink font)...

Edited by SSMinnow 2009-08-12 10:14 AM

2009-08-12 10:15 AM
in reply to: #2343681

User image

Champion
trying1 - 2009-08-12 11:08 AM Danett- just my 2 cents..  Why not pursue both?  I'm with Tracy, anytime you can increase your skill set, it's a huge plus.  Obviously your bosses think you can handle it so why not go for it?  Plus going to seminary and getting a counseling degree takes some time even after you get the reference.  So why not take a class that helps increase your pay to help pay for the classes you might need to pay for down the road?

Have you asked your pastor about ways you can handle your emotional issue?  ie steps you should take, people you should talk to.  If he's the one who's responsible for giving you the reference, involve him from the beginning.  This way he can see from the beginning the progress you're making and he knows the people that you're working with to improve your issues.  I'm pretty sure Redeemer has people you can talk to or they can point you in the right direction.

Thanks for asking about the apt..  It's a huge mess at this pt (it's a long long story) but in brief last week they agreed to give us the exclusive right to the apt if we finish our due diligence on the place and give a 10% deposit by last Friday.  So our lawyer and my wife and I worked non stop last week looking at old condo docs (docs were over a foot thick) and association docs, went over the place with our GC and architect finished negotiated the contract and sent the deposit by last Friday.  We found out yesterday that the wife and husband are going through a divorce and the husband countersigned the contract but the wife doesn't want to sign because she wants to be able to lease the apt for 9 months.  So now we're dealing with this and trying to figure out what schools to call and apply for our son.  In a few weeks it's d-day for calling for applications for pre-schools.  Most schools only give out a certain number of applications (or it's by lottery) so on the day they accept requests for applications it's a frenzy..  Many people have their friends and family help them call since the recommended number of schools you should apply to  is 8-10.  It's nuts (for preschool)..  I have friends that moved out of the city so they don't have to deal with this.  I just hope we don't have to apply to 16 schools, 8 in our current location and 8 in the potential future location.  I may have to hire some callers!

Sounds like here, we went to an open house at a Montesorri(SP?) school that had 0 spots open but us and 99 other sets of parents paid 75 bucks to put our kids on the waiting list, I think we probably spent 1k on waiting lists.

When my son was born we looked into daycare and would have had to get him on the list before he was conceived to get him into one.

That is why I am so happy this year he is going from pre-school to free-school!  Woo hoo!
2009-08-12 10:22 AM

User image

Champion

I am the slowest OW swimmer in our class.  It bugs me sometimes, but I just remind myself that two years ago putting my face in the H20 was a challenge.  You are a good swimmer and you know it deep down.  If it were me, I would not use the fins.  You are out there to get practice for the real thing and fins won't be part of that set up.

You are the girl that loves running right?  So embrace that 12 miler like it is your favorite t-shirt (pink of course).  Think about it positively and it will go great.
2009-08-12 10:32 AM
in reply to: #2343701

User image

Pro
SSMinnow - 2009-08-12 8:13 AM
swbkrun - 2009-08-12 10:11 AM My big plans for the weekend----

AND WHAT????

Is he going to pop the question?  This is the first thing I think about when a guy gets cagey....

Uhm, I think I would rather see the socks....you are looking a little feminine (thus the pink font)...

No popping the question yet--- It's getting annoying!  TRUST ME.  I am sick of calling him my sister in-law's boyfriend!  It get's old.  But what a time to propose right?  On his birthday- She wouldn't expect that!! Or out on the race course??? She wouldn't expect that either!!! 

Say what you want about Capri's and men... They are comfy!  I will continue to wear them.  Maybe I should go Capri's and compression socks!  That would be a great picture!
2009-08-12 10:41 AM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia

I totally understand your feelings on the swim.  I am the last one in the pack and would not be very comfortable in the situation you described plus I feel bad making everyone wait for me.  I'd say do what feels safe.  After the log incident last swim maybe using the fins and working on other parts of your stroke would be just as good.
2009-08-12 10:59 AM
in reply to: #2343765

User image

Veteran
swbkrun - 2009-08-12 8:32 AM
No popping the question yet--- It's getting annoying!  TRUST ME.  I am sick of calling him my sister in-law's boyfriend!  It get's old.  But what a time to propose right?  On his birthday- She wouldn't expect that!! Or out on the race course??? She wouldn't expect that either!!!

Easy there, Fireball... no one said anything about popping any sort of question. It's not my fault you're struggling with the nomenclature...

Say what you want about Capri's and men...

Oh, I believe they have...

They are comfy!  I will continue to wear them.  Maybe I should go Capri's and compression socks!  That would be a great picture!

Um, yeah...not so much.

And just so this has some tri content: Good swim tips here... various thoughts on training, body rotation, breathing, etc.

EDITED to open a new window for the swim tips

Edited by ryanp100 2009-08-12 11:02 AM

2009-08-12 11:01 AM
in reply to: #2343765

User image

Expert
B'ham

swbkrun - 2009-08-12 8:32 AM No popping the question yet--- It's getting annoying!  TRUST ME.  I am sick of calling him my sister in-law's boyfriend!  It get's old.  But what a time to propose right?  On his birthday- She wouldn't expect that!! Or out on the race course??? She wouldn't expect that either!!!  Say what you want about Capri's and men... They are comfy!  I will continue to wear them.  Maybe I should go Capri's and compression socks!  That would be a great picture!
I proposed to my wife on my birthday - she never saw it coming. There's a good chance I' ll be down for Lake Stevens this weekend.

2009-08-12 11:21 AM
in reply to: #2343191

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
SSMinnow - 2009-08-12 4:07 AM It's Wednesday and you know what that means.....Who's racing this weekend? where? how long? what are the goals?

Doing a Sprint in Whitefish Montana. This was the very first race I ever did, and this will be my third year doing it. It's kind of an anniversary of becoming a triathlete It'll be a fun one. No real goals... other than to hopefully do better than last year. It's always fun to be able to gauge some improvement. I don't know though, since I have to train through it for Black Diamond and woodside. I have a 10 mile run the day before, and I'm still sore from last Saturday's trail run. OK... so I guess my excuses are all in place
2009-08-12 11:30 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Steve:

I see guys wearing pants like that all the time over in Germany. Just so you know it looks just as silly on you as it does on them... (which is really silly.)
2009-08-12 11:59 AM
in reply to: #2343847

User image

Champion
cadmus - 2009-08-12 12:01 PM

swbkrun - 2009-08-12 8:32 AM No popping the question yet--- It's getting annoying!  TRUST ME.  I am sick of calling him my sister in-law's boyfriend!  It get's old.  But what a time to propose right?  On his birthday- She wouldn't expect that!! Or out on the race course??? She wouldn't expect that either!!!  Say what you want about Capri's and men... They are comfy!  I will continue to wear them.  Maybe I should go Capri's and compression socks!  That would be a great picture!
I proposed to my wife on my birthday - she never saw it coming. There's a good chance I' ll be down for Lake Stevens this weekend.

My wife told me we were getting married and I said ok.Cool
2009-08-12 12:06 PM
in reply to: #2344039

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
dalessit - 2009-08-12 11:59 AM

I must have been drunk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2009-08-12 12:07 PM
in reply to: #2344039

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Yeah, pretty much when the girl decides that "you are THE one" you might as well just surrender to your fate   That's they way it happened for me as well...

2009-08-12 12:16 PM
in reply to: #2344061

User image

Champion
sdalessio - 2009-08-12 12:06 PM

I must have been drunk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice, This was my first laugh from the gut of the day.  Pretty funny.

Steve got my first eyebrow raise of the day.  Pretty sad.

2009-08-12 12:36 PM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

tahrens - 2009-08-12 10:24 AM Good morning all you happy campers,

QUOTE]

Sure do Sugar. we have come a loooong way. When I started this I was just looking to complete a triathlon.  I had thought it would be neat to complete an ironman but really thought of it more as a fantasy. I never really thought I would be coming this close in only my second year of competing. . And you, little miss wonder, have and are still doing fantastic.  

Oh and I actually did but a wetsuit from xterra (thank again) so I guess I will defiinitely be continuing with my traiathlon lifestyle.

2009-08-12 1:08 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Hey guys, check out what Road ID just sent me!  The language is corny but the coupon is real.  Feel free to use it.

SAMPLE EMAIL: Feel free to copy the following text and paste it into a new email to your friends.

**********BEGIN Sample Email**********

Hey Everyone,

I just ordered one of the best products ever. It's called a Road ID - perhaps you've heard of it. If you haven't, go to their website and check it out. Road ID is a great product that could save your life someday.

When I ordered, they gave me a coupon that I could pass along to my friends. Here's the coupon number:

Coupon Number: ThanksTracy528812

The coupon is good for $1 off any Road ID order placed by 09/12/2009. To order, simply go to RoadID.com or click the link below:

http://www.RoadID.com/?CID=ThanksTracy528812

If you prefer, you can call them at 800-345-6335.

You can thank me later,

Tracy Ahrens

Oh by the way, their website is awesome, the customer service is outstanding, and the owners are very smart and good looking.

**********END Sample Email**********

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383