BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-08-14 11:37 PM
in reply to: #2349996

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS!!!
dalessit - 2009-08-14 7:17 PM
kt65 - 2009-08-14 9:01 PM
dalessit - 2009-08-14 5:58 PM
DougRob - 2009-08-14 11:14 AM Suzy:

OK now I have read that George IS riding with the Shack next season. It is from the same interview with Outside Magazine. Odd.

Doug

Lots to comment on.

LOL, long day at Kings Dominion with the kids (Amusement Park), almost 9:00PM, off to get my 5 miles in for the day.

Wow, that is some serious dedication.  Nice job, Tony. 

that was painful... Cruddy lunch at the park + my quickly thrown together rice/pork/garlic/onion/egg/carrot dinner = stomach pains while running.

upside is I did get to use my head light, all those people going to parties and bars that I ran by must have thought I was pretty cool...Cool

Tony- Maybe I missed it, but what headlamp did you end up getting?  Did you like it?  Kind of fun running w/ a headlamp! 

2009-08-15 11:08 AM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Elite
Raleigh
I'm back from the Mayo Lake triathlon. despite initial low registration the $20 entry fee attracted a lot of people and there were at least 320.  That was a tough run course!! 95% of road, through trees and woods with lots of hills and tree ROOTS! Fought not to turn an ankle on a tree root on a steep decent. The weather was HUMID. The water felt like 85 degrees. The swim went great and I swam 200 yds or so to warm up. Nice and smooth and caught the back end of wave in front of mine which left 3 minutes ahead. The bike was fun, really enjoyed it. It fell apart on the run. About 200 yds. into it I had the start of a cramp in my right calf. I had to walk run the entire course to keep it from cramping. Needless to say got passed a lot during the run. But I kept thinking that it was just a glorified training brick. Helped me a lot mentally.  The posted results had me at 85th and at best 9th in my age group. I will post a RR when the official times are up.

Hope the other racers had a good time. I am off the shower.

Doug
2009-08-15 12:56 PM
in reply to: #2350380

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
DougRob - 2009-08-15 11:08 AM I'm back from the Mayo Lake triathlon. despite initial low registration the $20 entry fee attracted a lot of people and there were at least 320.  That was a tough run course!! 95% of road, through trees and woods with lots of hills and tree ROOTS! Fought not to turn an ankle on a tree root on a steep decent. The weather was HUMID. The water felt like 85 degrees. The swim went great and I swam 200 yds or so to warm up. Nice and smooth and caught the back end of wave in front of mine which left 3 minutes ahead. The bike was fun, really enjoyed it. It fell apart on the run. About 200 yds. into it I had the start of a cramp in my right calf. I had to walk run the entire course to keep it from cramping. Needless to say got passed a lot during the run. But I kept thinking that it was just a glorified training brick. Helped me a lot mentally.  The posted results had me at 85th and at best 9th in my age group. I will post a RR when the official times are up.

Hope the other racers had a good time. I am off the shower.

Doug

Hey Doug--Nice job and smart racing.  No reason to turn an ankle for any race!   Can't wait to read all the details.

Well, I survived my 2.65m swim in Devils Lake today.  Swam from the North Shore to the South Shore and back.  Some chop on the way out which I managed reasonable well.  The way back was a ton easier.  Makes me pretty happy heading into my practice swim in Lake Geneva next Tuesday.   Like Doug, I am off to shower!!

PS. I found out this morning that the lake I swam in Thursday and yesterday was closed due to high bacteria levels.  Eeeeewwww.  No wonder I had a stomach ache the last two days.
2009-08-15 1:03 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
After cleaning up I discover my right little toe is bruised. I remember it aching during the run and now I know why.

Great swim Suzy!!! I don't think I ever swam that far at one time. And this from someone who had water issues.
2009-08-15 2:27 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
The  RR is up. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=175104

I ended up 76th. and 10th in my AG out of 20. Turns out 3 of the men 45-49 were Clysdales.Embarassed

Edited by DougRob 2009-08-15 2:31 PM
2009-08-15 2:30 PM
in reply to: #2350107

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
swbkrun - 2009-08-15 12:37 AM
dalessit - 2009-08-14 7:17 PM
kt65 - 2009-08-14 9:01 PM
dalessit - 2009-08-14 5:58 PM
DougRob - 2009-08-14 11:14 AM Suzy:

OK now I have read that George IS riding with the Shack next season. It is from the same interview with Outside Magazine. Odd.

Doug

Lots to comment on.

LOL, long day at Kings Dominion with the kids (Amusement Park), almost 9:00PM, off to get my 5 miles in for the day.

Wow, that is some serious dedication.  Nice job, Tony. 

that was painful... Cruddy lunch at the park + my quickly thrown together rice/pork/garlic/onion/egg/carrot dinner = stomach pains while running.

upside is I did get to use my head light, all those people going to parties and bars that I ran by must have thought I was pretty cool...Cool

Tony- Maybe I missed it, but what headlamp did you end up getting?  Did you like it?  Kind of fun running w/ a headlamp! 

Picked up the Petzl Tikka Plus.  Not as nice as the one you recommended but figured I should try something mid range first to see if I even liked running with it. 

Works well so far,  found out that most stuff around here is pretty well lit at all times so haven't had to use the bright setting on it much.

2009-08-16 10:32 AM
in reply to: #2350585

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Quite weekend.  Doug if you read this lol still trying to get a babysitter coordinated.  If that falls through, next option is we go ride around Haines point, Sam can ride for a bit then I can ride, kids can play on the playground there.

Nice 3.4mi pancake flat look.  Great for TT practice.

Speaking of TT, Sam and I are doing the Church Creek TT next weekend, 40k, flat, mostly same course as eagleman.

Then getting up next day and doing a nice 60 miler to 4-5 wineries, should be interesting.  At some point I need to throw in an easy 10 miler, maybe show off to all the folks at the TT and just run my 10 miler after I jump off the bike.
2009-08-16 2:58 PM
in reply to: #2351374

User image

Champion
WOW, I cannot believe how quiet it is in the forum today....

I have a question for those who use the profile design drink bottle.  I bought the bracket/halter thinking it would do a better job than the rubber bands, but it seems kind of lame.  Does a bunch of velcro really hold it in place?  It's bad enough I have to tape the top to avoid sloshing.....

First day, I skipped a workout.  The thought of going to the pool was so unappealling, I am paying bills and cleaning instead.   I mistakenly joined the new Gold's and hate the atmosphere and the narrow lanes in the pool.  Going back to my old gym once it reopens.  The good news is I have NO pool workouts this week at all.  Everything is in the OW!!

How did our racers do?
2009-08-16 2:59 PM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC

Hey everyone~  I had an awesome sprint today!  I'll work on my RR and post it.  Hope everyone else had a good weekend.

2009-08-16 3:09 PM
in reply to: #2351638

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
SSMinnow - 2009-08-16 3:58 PM WOW, I cannot believe how quiet it is in the forum today....

I have a question for those who use the profile design drink bottle.  I bought the bracket/halter thinking it would do a better job than the rubber bands, but it seems kind of lame.  Does a bunch of velcro really hold it in place?  It's bad enough I have to tape the top to avoid sloshing.....

First day, I skipped a workout.  The thought of going to the pool was so unappealling, I am paying bills and cleaning instead.   I mistakenly joined the new Gold's and hate the atmosphere and the narrow lanes in the pool.  Going back to my old gym once it reopens.  The good news is I have NO pool workouts this week at all.  Everything is in the OW!!

How did our racers do?

Suzy, about the aerobottle - The velcro actually does work.  I have not had any trouble with it.  Also, regarding taping the top - I never had to do that.  I use both the yellow sponge and the little black thing and have never had any issues.  When I first got it, I tried using them both individually and neither work, but using them together works great.
2009-08-16 3:13 PM
in reply to: #2351656

User image

Champion
Jeepguy2358 - 2009-08-16 3:09 PM
SSMinnow - 2009-08-16 3:58 PM WOW, I cannot believe how quiet it is in the forum today....

How did our racers do?

Suzy, about the aerobottle - The velcro actually does work.  I have not had any trouble with it.  Also, regarding taping the top - I never had to do that.  I use both the yellow sponge and the little black thing and have never had any issues.  When I first got it, I tried using them both individually and neither work, but using them together works great.

Thanks Chris.  Glad to hear the race went well.  How about a one second preview?

2009-08-16 4:20 PM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
2009-08-16 5:24 PM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Hi MG! It's been a busy weekend and I haven't had time to read any posts. So, I hope everyone's races went well and I'll try to catch up ASAP. My sprint was fun today. I finished in 1:37:00... a new PR by 1:57! I had a great swim... 15:49 for 880 yds. The bike was OK, but I still have a lot of work to do on those hills... 48:24 including transitions. And, the run was pretty crappy... 32:47. The BBQ, beer, and seeing all my Montana tri friends was a blast! Oh, did I mention it was only 50 degrees and overcast. At least it waited until the BBQ to start raining. Undecided It was quite an adjustment from the 100 degree temps we've been having in South Central Washington.

About my run today... I have yet to have a good run off the bike. Anyone have any suggestions for getting better at this? Should I just do more bricks? Any other training suggestions? I know hammering and pushing too hard on the bike can cause problems on the run, but I don't think this is the issue for me. I just don't seem to run well off the bike, no matter how easy I go on the bike, even in training.
2009-08-16 6:20 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
Great job Roni!!!   I got nothing for ya on the run.  Seems I'm having similar issues.

2009-08-16 6:21 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
You Lance fans see this.  

Andy, better sign up for Buffalo Springs and/or Longhorn pretty quick. 
2009-08-16 6:30 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
I had great weekend.  First training day with my coach Saturday went awesome.  Lots of time in the water this weekend, both pool and lake.  My arms are sore where they haven't been before. 

I didn't think about the cumulative sit-ups from the week until I was crying about doing them on Friday.  328 for the week.  wtf is that!  ha.. that's more than I've ever done.  I know its not much for most of you but it is for me.

I'm anxiously waiting on my schedule for this week.  Any of you guys use Training Peaks?

2009-08-16 6:42 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
hehe.  as if we don't spend enough time on here.  now Ron has this BT game.

1:21

Edited by fattyfatfat 2009-08-16 6:55 PM
2009-08-16 7:26 PM
in reply to: #2351912

User image

Champion
fattyfatfat - 2009-08-16 6:30 PM I had great weekend.  First training day with my coach Saturday went awesome.  Lots of time in the water this weekend, both pool and lake.  My arms are sore where they haven't been before. 

I didn't think about the cumulative sit-ups from the week until I was crying about doing them on Friday.  328 for the week.  wtf is that!  ha.. that's more than I've ever done.  I know its not much for most of you but it is for me.

I'm anxiously waiting on my schedule for this week.  Any of you guys use Training Peaks?

Hey, did I know you were getting a coach? tell us about him or her?  I use TP and like it alot.  It is a great way to communicate back and forth with your coach.  I upload my workouts, look at all the data and then save them. Steve gets a copy and usually sends me some little tibit afterwards.  Only downside is it gets a little cumbersome to manage both TP and BT.
2009-08-16 7:38 PM
in reply to: #2351818

User image

Champion
roni_runnw - 2009-08-16 5:24 PM Hi MG! It's been a busy weekend and I haven't had time to read any posts. So, I hope everyone's races went well and I'll try to catch up ASAP. My sprint was fun today. I finished in 1:37:00... a new PR by 1:57! I had a great swim... 15:49 for 880 yds. The bike was OK, but I still have a lot of work to do on those hills... 48:24 including transitions. And, the run was pretty crappy... 32:47. The BBQ, beer, and seeing all my Montana tri friends was a blast! Oh, did I mention it was only 50 degrees and overcast. At least it waited until the BBQ to start raining. Undecided It was quite an adjustment from the 100 degree temps we've been having in South Central Washington.

About my run today... I have yet to have a good run off the bike. Anyone have any suggestions for getting better at this? Should I just do more bricks? Any other training suggestions? I know hammering and pushing too hard on the bike can cause problems on the run, but I don't think this is the issue for me. I just don't seem to run well off the bike, no matter how easy I go on the bike, even in training.

Hey, a PR is a PR missy!  Be happy with it.  One thing I am learning is the best way to run well off the bike is not to kill the bike.  You may think you are taking it ez, but are you really?  how do you measure ez? are you bonking or it is a leg issue?    Last week, the whole goal was to keep that bike under control and fuel every 10 minutes to make my run stronger.  The bike did feel ez and my HR said the same thing.  Although it was hotter than heck, I got off the bike and my legs felt good and so did I (sorta--again the heat).   Gordo has some good stuff on Endurance Corner about running off the bike.  I asked him a few questions and he gave me great advice.....here are a couple of snipits:

++

Couple things here -- appropriate training effort vs appropriate race effort

How you feel in the three days after the workout will let you know how draining the training effort was.  If you find that you are/were whipped for more than 48 hours then probably too punchy for a training effort.

My advice for the race is to ride a little easier than you think you "should" or "can" -- then you will have your run data to review and see how close to your fresh paces you were able to come.  Nearly everyone swims/bikes too intensely so this strategy gives you the best shot at optimal pacing (which you check based on run performance).

For training, I think that segments of goal race effort mixed with Steady effort tend to work best -- it greatly reduces the stress of the total session to back off a bit and that will speed recovery.

Lose watts and HR falls -- you are putting out less power, doing less work so your HR falls -- that is normal.

What matters... for training -- the ability to repeat your week, and do key sessions that move you towards your goals.

What matters... for racing -- the ability to run well after the swim/bike.

Your consistency will be your best guide towards training zones.  In the race, take your off-the-bike performance back to run training performance and see how it stacks up.  

For HIM, if you end up running Z3 training pace with Z4 training HR then you are doing better than most.

When I get my HIM pacing correct can run low Z4 pace with high Z4 effort.  I benefit from deep endurance as well as a shorter event (4hrs) -- in certain ways my HIM is (physiologically) closer to an Oly race for the readers of this thread.

Swim -- you won't need to change much as the water will keep you cool.

Bike -- you need to be thinking more about managing yourself than blasting the pace.  So you'll need to slow a bit to absorb fluids a drink a little more more than usual.

Run -- same thing, you need to run to the reality of the weather -- as a smaller lady less of an issue for you than the big men but... you still want to avoid overheating.

With your comments on effort -- in that case take it down "two notches".  The athletes that don't do so will have a very slow run.  It's more about process management than speed in high heat/humidity.

Great to hear that you are sticking with the OW -- can't say that I am fond of white caps but the three-stroke breathing has helped me.  Also my swing recovery, works quite well in chop.

2009-08-16 8:14 PM

User image

Master
Small Town
Lance going back to Kona = Pretty Shweeet!

Roni, great race - PR's are awesome.

My weekend consisted of work, not workouts.  Today was an easy day.  I finished up my photo shoot stuff, so I hope to sort through them and get the pics edited tonight or tomorrow.  I'll post a few here when they are done.  Nothing spectacular tonight, just needed a head shot and full body casual dress.  From here I need to finish my comp card - I'll need your help guys!  Brutal honesty will count because that's what I'll get from agencies. 

Tomorrow I'll be doing an OWS with a guy from my tri team and the infamous trixie plans to swim too.  So I'll be getting some much needed coaching tips from my teams 'fish'  Then we'll hope to go for a 20-30 mile ride... weather dependent as it is supposed be stormy.

Hope everyone had a great weekend too!
2009-08-16 8:19 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Report from Lake Steven's 70.3.... Ryan comes in--- 4:58!!
40.04 swim
2.36.34 bike (3rd in Ag out of 111)- Hard bike course!
1:38:13 run

For a 7th overall finish in AG!!  He is such a stud!!!

Edited by swbkrun 2009-08-16 10:37 PM

2009-08-16 8:49 PM
in reply to: #2352090

User image

Master
Small Town
swbkrun - 2009-08-16 9:19 PM Report from Lake Steven's 70.3.... Ryan comes in--- 4:58!!
40.04 swim
2.36.34 bike (2nd in Ag out of 111)- Hard bike course!
1:38:13

Sub 5 HIM - crazy!  Way to be!
2009-08-17 5:55 AM
in reply to: #2352136

User image

Champion
JHagerman - 2009-08-16 8:49 PM
swbkrun - 2009-08-16 9:19 PM Report from Lake Steven's 70.3.... Ryan comes in--- 4:58!!
40.04 swim
2.36.34 bike (2nd in Ag out of 111)- Hard bike course!
1:38:13

Sub 5 HIM - crazy!  Way to be!

WOW, Ryan you are a stud.  That run time is really great coming off the bike. Dare to dream.....
2009-08-17 6:56 AM
in reply to: #2348217

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
tahrens - 2009-08-14 8:57 AM My next race is the SAVAGEMAN Olympic in September. The race organizers just sent out an email with a detailed breakdown of the race course.  Doesn't this sound just peachy?  Major uuggghhhh!!!Cry

Average water temperatures:  66 degrees
Average air temperatures in the am: below 50 degrees
Average cyclists should have a 27 tooth cog, and weaker cyclists should have a triple front chainring or compact cranks.

NameLocation"Savage" CategoryLengthAvg GradeMax Grade
Toothpick0.5 mi4th Savagery0.25 mi9%16%
Frank Brenneman Rd8.6 mi1st Savagery0.7 mi10%23%

Kick a$s Tracy.  There are hills around there that almost made me cry when Tony and I did a training ride back in May.
2009-08-17 7:01 AM
in reply to: #2348997

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
swbkrun - 2009-08-14 1:07 PM
tahrens - 2009-08-14 10:43 AM

Oh, and I must brag.  I got a pedicure last night and the black callus I have on my toe from running is still there!  I am so proud that I've developed a callus so tough a pedicure couldn't remove it.  I guess I'm a runner now!!!

Yeah, but how many toenails are bruised Tracy?  Toe count for me.... 3 bruised nailed and 1 currently growing back!  Gosh I love running trails! !

I don't get the toenail thing.  I like mine and work really hard to keep um.  I didn't lose, bruise or discolor a single one last year when getting ready for Baltimore.  Same w/ this year although I'm just getting into my marathon plan.  So seriously, am I not running enough miles?  I hear about this problem all of the time.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383