BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mental Manatee Mentors Part 3--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 85

2013-03-15 5:30 PM
in reply to: #4660515

User image

Master
Gig Harbor
Subject: RE: Mental Manatee Mentors Part 3--CLOSED
jobaxas - 2013-03-14 8:47 PM

The crazy boys on their 40km shark infested swim - ETA was 1-2pm.  Now pushed out to 3-4pm as tide is against them.

Below a video (very short) - 13 hours after they started! 

http://twitter.yfrog.com/mbuj9huenunpbnaaxyzwpyqbz

That is sooooo bad AZZZZZZ!!!  Nothing but respect!

2013-03-15 5:33 PM
in reply to: #4660601

User image

Master
Gig Harbor
amd723 - 2013-03-15 2:52 AM
jobaxas - 2013-03-14 11:31 PM

I love Yanti - she sent me a message

"I'm wearing flip flops to my father's funeral"

Cool

I love it.  I have told my son / brother / sister etc. that I want my funeral to be a party.  I want a DJ, Kegs of beer, Disco Ball, people hooking up (how cool would it be for a couple to tell someone that they met while partying at my funeral?)  and nothing but fun.  

I know people say that...but I really mean it.  Party On Bro!  

2013-03-15 5:34 PM
in reply to: #4660942

User image

Master
Gig Harbor
rrrunner - 2013-03-15 7:51 AM

For the computer geeks among us... (Skrat, this could be your ticket back to Colorado, think of all the coaching you could do there)

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2013/03/news/a-triathletes-dream-job_72055

I am not edu ma cated enough to be a computer engineer, but if I still lived in Colorado (I lived 20 mins from Boulder) - I would totally apply to be their Janitor!  That is so cool.  

2013-03-15 5:35 PM
in reply to: #4661042

User image

Master
Gig Harbor
MadMathemagician - 2013-03-15 8:54 AM

I love all six of my nieces.   But Sarah holds a special place.   She the closest thing to a daughter I might ever have.

She is very talented...bright future ahead of her.  So awesome that she has an uncle like you...this story could have had a much different ending had you not been there when she needed you.

2013-03-15 5:36 PM
in reply to: #4661235

User image

Master
Gig Harbor
jmkizer - 2013-03-15 10:29 AM

Racing Manatees!

March 16-17

Jonathan TX - Athens Sprint Tri on Saturday
Marcus - Get Lucky Half Marathon on Saturday
Kate - Badger Cover 10k on Saturday
Chris - Sarasota Half Marathon on Sunday
Jonathan AK - St. Patrick's Day Run on Sunday.
Melanie - Frozen Foot Winter Series run on Sunday

Disabled list:
Kirsten - Achilles, recovering!
Yanti - cracked rib, sore arm, the scaphoid bone in the wrist, collarbone, etc. from IMNZ. 
Michael - GI issues
Darren - under the weather
Jo - under the weather (so much so that she broke her streak)

Good health vibes heading to all injured or sick Manatees!  Get off the list!

Streakers!
Salty

Condolences to Yanti on the loss of her father.  Please know that you are in our thougths and prayers.  {{hugs}}

Go Manatees - good luck this week with all the races.  Looking forward to the race reports.

2013-03-15 5:50 PM
in reply to: #4659615

User image

Master
jogo - 2013-03-14 9:28 AM

Ok, so I finally have a break in life.  Got a daughter married off last Friday, my youngest (and only one at home) moved to Virginia on Saturday, and my daughter and grandbabies went back to New Mexico on Tuesday.   I am officially an empty nester, if you don't count the husband and 2 dogs and 3 cats. 

This has always been a TMI thread so it is my turn.

My husband is like a new man (sort of).  We have never had alone time (2nd marriage for both of us and blended 5 kids 12 years ago).  He is like a teenager that wants candy. All the begging for window shopping is amusing.  Afterall, he is in his late 50's and although the mind is a teenager, the body is not 18 any longer.  I am enjoying some of the "lines" he his coming up with.  If he was picking me up at a bar, he would lose. He is getting better but I have to share with all the men that telling someone they always smell good, is not really the positive reinforcement we ladies are seeking if that is the best you can come up with.  I had asked him to tell me what he found attractive.   FAIL but oh so cute that he tried.  As I said, with a little coaching, he may be trainable.

So on that note, if all my own husband can find good about my body is my huge melons and that I smell good, I really think I need to start reforming this situation.  As I said, he is old and I need to stay marketable.   You never know when you may need that marketability.  

Ahhhh...Jo, this made me giggle for you. Men are so sweet, and cluelessly lost, sometimes. Can't help but love them...and lovingly train them Laughing

2013-03-15 6:10 PM
in reply to: #4651276

User image

Master
Orlando
For those who follow Greg McMillian ( or even just use his training pace calculator), he has a new book coming out. http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/youOnlyFaster?utm_source=YOU+%28Only...
2013-03-15 6:12 PM
in reply to: #4660581

User image

Master

jobaxas - 2013-03-15 12:48 AM Artemis has her birthday 16 march look what she got... She doesn't know yet....

YAYAYAYAYAYAY! That is one happy pup...and little girl...and family  Great story!

2013-03-15 6:14 PM

User image

Master
MadMathemagician - 2013-03-15 8:54 AM

I love all six of my nieces.   But Sarah holds a special place.   She the closest thing to a daughter I might ever have.

Beautiful and talented girl. She's very lucky to have you

2013-03-15 7:54 PM
in reply to: #4661792

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
4agoodlife - 2013-03-15 5:50 PM

Haven't been in here for a few days, so I'm sure I have much to catch up on...and I will. But need to share/vent a little.

Last couple of days have been a little rough. I had a call from my mom on Wednesday. They've taken the step to hospice with my grandma (who lives with my parents). No more doc appts, ER visits, blood tests, or long-term meds. Her heart doc says probably three months tops. Wow

My son is on his break next week, so I am taking the kids to see her. I had been planning a solo weekend trip, but think it's best to take them. Not likely my daughter will remember her, but pictures are important.  This will be my son's first "goodbye" with someone. We talk about death and he asks questions, but it's never been personal before. 

As for venting...I've been talking to my mom for weeks about coming to visit by myself.  With the new hospice info and having Spring Break, we thought it good to bring kids. I haven't been home since last July, so I was long past due for a visit anyway.

Well, looks like my brother and wife, three kids and dog have decided to visit at the same time. (They were just there for a month in Dec.) I was going to stay with my kids in the converted garage, but since there are more of them PLUS a dog, my mom offered to get me and kids a room in town. While she loves my brother dearly, he lives much closer and sees them quite often (lived 3 houses down from them until a year ago, in fact). They are quite conservative in all ways, and I find it difficult to work around their needs/wants with a cheerful heart. My mom and I are a little sad that we aren't getting our special time, and I'm trying to not be bitter.  I know there are lots of positives to us all being there together...but it's a 1200sqft house. I just hope the weather is nice during the day so we can get the kids out to play. :/

OK...I've gotten it off my chest. Now I can check on other pod news. Thanks for listening Embarassed

I'm so sorry.  That's a tough situation.  Honestly, a hotel might be good for the kids.  Hopefully it'll have a pool and you can retreat if things get a little too tense with the situation.  

::HUGS:: for you.

2013-03-15 8:53 PM
in reply to: #4661235

User image

Master
Central Kansas
Good luck racers! I'll run a few miles for you tomorrow.

2013-03-15 9:03 PM

User image

Master
4agoodlife - 2013-03-15 2:50 PM

Haven't been in here for a few days, so I'm sure I have much to catch up on...and I will. But need to share/vent a little.

Last couple of days have been a little rough. I had a call from my mom on Wednesday. They've taken the step to hospice with my grandma (who lives with my parents). No more doc appts, ER visits, blood tests, or long-term meds. Her heart doc says probably three months tops. Wow

My son is on his break next week, so I am taking the kids to see her. I had been planning a solo weekend trip, but think it's best to take them. Not likely my daughter will remember her, but pictures are important.  This will be my son's first "goodbye" with someone. We talk about death and he asks questions, but it's never been personal before. 

As for venting...I've been talking to my mom for weeks about coming to visit by myself.  With the new hospice info and having Spring Break, we thought it good to bring kids. I haven't been home since last July, so I was long past due for a visit anyway.

Well, looks like my brother and wife, three kids and dog have decided to visit at the same time. (They were just there for a month in Dec.) I was going to stay with my kids in the converted garage, but since there are more of them PLUS a dog, my mom offered to get me and kids a room in town. While she loves my brother dearly, he lives much closer and sees them quite often (lived 3 houses down from them until a year ago, in fact). They are quite conservative in all ways, and I find it difficult to work around their needs/wants with a cheerful heart. My mom and I are a little sad that we aren't getting our special time, and I'm trying to not be bitter.  I know there are lots of positives to us all being there together...but it's a 1200sqft house. I just hope the weather is nice during the day so we can get the kids out to play. :/

OK...I've gotten it off my chest. Now I can check on other pod news. Thanks for listening Embarassed

I'm sorry about your grandmother.  Sounds like a tough situation to boot.  Hang in there!

Edited by bcraht 2013-03-15 9:22 PM
2013-03-15 9:04 PM
in reply to: #4661820

User image

Melon Presser

jobaxas - 2013-03-16 7:23 AM Family stuff sucks sometimes! If I'd known the house pest didnt like dogs I'd have got one two months ago. Get the fork outta my house already!!

Snortlaugh. Didn't Stace already say the best way to get rid of unwanted guests is to have big slobbery dogs around? So glad the perfect pooch is with you.

2013-03-15 9:06 PM

User image

Master
Central Kansas
MadMathemagician - 2013-03-15 10:54 AM

Very nice.
2013-03-15 9:07 PM
in reply to: #4661964

User image

Master
Central Kansas
Artemis - 2013-03-15 7:54 PM

I'm so sorry.  That's a tough situation.  Honestly, a hotel might be good for the kids.  Hopefully it'll have a pool and you can retreat if things get a little too tense with the situation.  

::HUGS:: for you.

I agree about the hotel. I hope you and your mom can get some quiet time. I am sorry about your grandmother. I hope you have a nice time with her.
2013-03-15 9:10 PM
in reply to: #4661874

User image

Master
Central Kansas
4agoodlife - 2013-03-15 6:12 PM

jobaxas - 2013-03-15 12:48 AM Artemis has her birthday 16 march look what she got... She doesn't know yet....

YAYAYAYAYAYAY! That is one happy pup...and little girl...and family  Great story!

Yes. I love puppies. Happy birthday to Artemis.

2013-03-15 9:15 PM

User image

Melon Presser
4agoodlife - 2013-03-16 6:50 AM

It's really irritating when family logistics get in the way of a painful event--I think it's an inevitable part of it, though. At least that's what I've learnt and am learning. It's really Goody of you to be there for your Mom in any case.

On this end, Mutti is being a class act. She was very concerned this morning that we write all the names of people who are visiting and bringing or sending food, flowers and gifts so we can send out proper thank you's later.

And YES, I'm going to the doctor for my wrist! Need coffee infusion first. Coooofffeeeee ... also, I REALLY need a shower and I'm having a piglet bucket brigade bring water up from the pool so we can flush the toilets and take dipper baths.

2013-03-15 9:18 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother and I totally understand about your brother.  He's being tone deaf, if you know what I mean.  Hopefully the hotel situation will work out for the best.

2013-03-15 9:18 PM
in reply to: #4661836

User image

Melon Presser
Go Jonathan TX!
Go Marcus!

Go Kate!

Go Dub6!
Go Iceberg!
Go Melanie (and happy birthday again)!

And much love to all the sick, suffering, and especially streaking

2013-03-15 9:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

So I posted earlier this week about being down, and I am beginning to think that I had some sort of future-seeing-depression-thing happening (although I am still fighting that today..).

Today, I went in to work, nothing to out of the ordinary --all seemed to be going well, in fact. We then found that the male blue tree monitor (Cobalt--the pic a few pages back) had passed away overnight. I didn't see anything that would be a noticeable "cause", but I believe that he had just gotten to stressed in quarantine, and just wasn't able to recover. I am so sad and though my supervisors and curator were insistent that it was most likely nothing we could have done, and not my fault; I still feel that I should have done SOMETHING to get him in a better situation in quarantine. eesh. I am so heartbroken by this.

THEN....I went to my parent's place, I hadn't heard anything new regarding my dad's heart issue--well, it turns out that he had actually suffered a heart attack in early Feb. and didn't know it. They say that the urgency we were feeling regarding his heart health isn't as bad as originally thought, but that he REALLY does need to watch his diet and lose weight to get better and not have further heart problems. Of course, he is being his usual stubborn self, which is utterly resistant to actually changing his lifestyle (food-wise). He is absolutely addicted to processed food, as well as diet (i.e. "sugar free") sodas, and snack food....He insists that he always loses weight then gains it back immediately---usually 10 pounds down then gain back 15; and of course he insists that he CANNOT exercise...because it hurts. I want to just tell him to suck it up---eating right will make you feel icky as you give up the nastiness--just like any addiction; and exercise WILL hurt--at first, but soon it will feel right. I am so worried about him and so angry with him at the same time.

Truly, tomorrow's race I am not really planning on "racing"--I plan on running along and enjoying the scenery, hoping for more of a 'spiritual, relaxing' type run. I think I need that. (and the badger medal....Tongue out)

2013-03-15 10:25 PM
in reply to: #4662052

User image

Master
kgore - 2013-03-15 7:35 PM

So I posted earlier this week about being down, and I am beginning to think that I had some sort of future-seeing-depression-thing happening (although I am still fighting that today..).

Today, I went in to work, nothing to out of the ordinary --all seemed to be going well, in fact. We then found that the male blue tree monitor (Cobalt--the pic a few pages back) had passed away overnight. I didn't see anything that would be a noticeable "cause", but I believe that he had just gotten to stressed in quarantine, and just wasn't able to recover. I am so sad and though my supervisors and curator were insistent that it was most likely nothing we could have done, and not my fault; I still feel that I should have done SOMETHING to get him in a better situation in quarantine. eesh. I am so heartbroken by this.

THEN....I went to my parent's place, I hadn't heard anything new regarding my dad's heart issue--well, it turns out that he had actually suffered a heart attack in early Feb. and didn't know it. They say that the urgency we were feeling regarding his heart health isn't as bad as originally thought, but that he REALLY does need to watch his diet and lose weight to get better and not have further heart problems. Of course, he is being his usual stubborn self, which is utterly resistant to actually changing his lifestyle (food-wise). He is absolutely addicted to processed food, as well as diet (i.e. "sugar free") sodas, and snack food....He insists that he always loses weight then gains it back immediately---usually 10 pounds down then gain back 15; and of course he insists that he CANNOT exercise...because it hurts. I want to just tell him to suck it up---eating right will make you feel icky as you give up the nastiness--just like any addiction; and exercise WILL hurt--at first, but soon it will feel right. I am so worried about him and so angry with him at the same time.

Truly, tomorrow's race I am not really planning on "racing"--I plan on running along and enjoying the scenery, hoping for more of a 'spiritual, relaxing' type run. I think I need that. (and the badger medal....Tongue out)

Ok, first things first.  {hug}.

Sooooo sorry about Cobalt.  The hardest part about working with animals is that they will hide any illness so well, until it is really advances, and they can't tell us when they feel sick.  I know the feeling that you are dealing with; I always try to look at it like although I can't save/help them all, at least I have given them what I could--a clean 'house', good food and love.

I'm also really sorry about your father.  My stepfather was the same way.  Morbidly obese, would not do anything to help himself.  All I could do was encourage him to get healthy, and then let go.  I hope that your dad hears the love in your concern and will make the choice for himself.

Sounds like you have a great plan for your race tomorrow.  I will send you peaceful vibes!

2013-03-15 11:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
kgore - 2013-03-16 11:35 AM

oh Kate big hugs for you today. I am so sorry about Cobalt. I am also very sorry about your Dad.

Maybe a way to tackle your dad is to apply some shock tactics. Collect some brochures from local nursing homes and the funeral director and then sit down and say "ok so when you have your next heart attack and Mom can't look after you anymore which home do you want us to put you in? Or if it actually kills you which coffin do you want us to burry you in?"

You never know it might have the desired affect.

Edited by StaceyK 2013-03-15 11:52 PM
2013-03-16 2:43 AM

User image

Master
GOOOOO, Racy Podmates! I shall call you The Speedy Six this weekend. Enjoy your races and looking forward to RRs!
2013-03-16 4:47 AM

User image

Veteran
East Texas
kgore - 2013-03-15 9:35 PM

Sorry to hear about Cobalt. It sounds like this could be a positive thing about your dad. Sometimes it takes things like this to open someones eyes. Luckily I didn't make it that far but my health had gotten pretty bad before I finally got fit.

Good luck today and I think you've got a great plan

2013-03-16 7:18 AM
in reply to: #4661167

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
Artemis - 2013-03-15 12:56 PM
jogo - 2013-03-14 12:28 PM

Ok, so I finally have a break in life.  Got a daughter married off last Friday, my youngest (and only one at home) moved to Virginia on Saturday, and my daughter and grandbabies went back to New Mexico on Tuesday.   I am officially an empty nester, if you don't count the husband and 2 dogs and 3 cats. 

This has always been a TMI thread so it is my turn.

My husband is like a new man (sort of).  We have never had alone time (2nd marriage for both of us and blended 5 kids 12 years ago).  He is like a teenager that wants candy. All the begging for window shopping is amusing.  Afterall, he is in his late 50's and although the mind is a teenager, the body is not 18 any longer.  I am enjoying some of the "lines" he his coming up with.  If he was picking me up at a bar, he would lose. He is getting better but I have to share with all the men that telling someone they always smell good, is not really the positive reinforcement we ladies are seeking if that is the best you can come up with.  I had asked him to tell me what he found attractive.   FAIL but oh so cute that he tried.  As I said, with a little coaching, he may be trainable.

So on that note, if all my own husband can find good about my body is my huge melons and that I smell good, I really think I need to start reforming this situation.  As I said, he is old and I need to stay marketable.   You never know when you may need that marketability.  

Big Sur is a little over 6 weeks away.  I had a bit of an awakening at my 5k on Sunday.  I ran all the way through (which is the 1st time to run 3.1 miles without walking in a long, long time-about 10 months).  I went sub 12's/mile so that was okay.  11:20/mile has consistently been my happy pace, my zen pace, my comfort-no stress pace for years so I have definitely lost fitness because this 11:49/mile was a zone 4 effort.   I will still run something at Big Sur but I don't care if it is the 5k or the 9 mile.  I know it will not be the 26.2 or the 21 mile.   I am working with a trainer and tonight is a goal setting session for the next 6 weeks.  

I am going to really concentrate on diet and getting healthy.  My house is going to be purged of clutter (now that the clutter kid is gone).  This is the 1st time since I was 22 years old, that I get to be ME first and not mom.  

Now that I've caught you all up, what the hell is going on here.  When did we change our name to Mental (seems fitting)?  Did we open up to new people or just relocate? 

Yanti-how are your ribs healing?  Are you able to play with piglets yet or was that never impacted by the injury?  

Salty-how is Boston training going?

Fox-thanks for the camping tips in Dayton.  I look forward to meeting you at Hawk.

Any more stories from anyone on crazy family members, drunken women, or training mishaps?  

JoGo, where in VA?  I'm in Richmond if you need someone to check up on the kid. 

I tease my hubby about the same thing.  We've been married for almost 9 years and together 13.  No game anymore. 

She is in Manassas, VA.  I have no idea where it is.  Sounds like a suburb of D.C.  She is thrilled by how many stars she can see in the sky.  That is my kid.  She is 21, got into some bad stuff and got herself out, happily works at Build-a-Bear (her dream job when she was in middle school) and just goes about life with a quirkiness and living for only today. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mental Manatee Mentors Part 3--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 85