BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2014-02-01 3:37 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Subject: RE: Challenge Update

Originally posted by lutzman
Originally posted by tkatzhyman I did the 1hr Master's postal yesterday with another fellow, 2950 meters, was able to keep a sub 2:00/100m pace until the last 10 minutes or so. I'm competing in a SCY Masters next weekend including the 1650yd free as well as some shorter distances in free and breast.
You sir, are a swimming machine!

x2

2014-02-01 3:43 PM
in reply to: hoffsquared

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED

Well I went on the group ride this morning.  22 miles.  2,000 feet of climbing.  Very hilly.  I am still pretty whooped.  Doing this route regularly will help prepare me for a race in May.  But boy did it take a lot out of me today.  My whole body is tired.  

(Arlington Hill Route Elevation Chart.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Arlington Hill Route Elevation Chart.jpg (16KB - 5 downloads)
2014-02-01 7:22 PM
in reply to: tkatzhyman

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Originally posted by tkatzhyman

I did the 1hr Master's postal yesterday with another fellow, 2950 meters, was able to keep a sub 2:00/100m pace until the last 10 minutes or so. I'm competing in a SCY Masters next weekend including the 1650yd free as well as some shorter distances in free and breast.

That is awesome Tsvi, great job, you are another one of my heroes on this thread.. Hoping to make big implrovements on my swimming this year so I can just hang with you guys. GREAT JOB!!!
2014-02-01 7:23 PM
in reply to: mitch4

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED

Originally posted by mitch4

Well Steve, if a spot opens up I'm your girl. Been running for ages and the beating is getting harder and harder to recover from. Started triathlon last year completed a sprint, an oly and a half iron (on my 50th birthday). Not bad placing 2nd, 4th and 6th respectively, but I lack direction. Helping to raise my grandson keeps me especially busy, so my neighbors will often see me at odd hours of the day or night doing some sort of activity. Good luck to all of you! -Victoria

Hi Victoria,

Wow, your the first person I have come across that is in the same state.  Not only the same state, but we are pretty much running distance apart - I live in Menifee and my office is in Temecula.

Welcome to the group!

2014-02-01 8:21 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Folks in the group are putting in some good numbers. Nice swim, Tsvi! You're already ready for Chris Greene. Melanie - lots of ups and downs today, eh? But wasn't it great to be out there - FINALLY! (I'm not as crazy with you with the icy rides - that was impressive). And welcome Victoria. Gotta say to you Californians that this is one of the few years where I've been kind of wishing I was out there instead... though it sounds like the drought is really bad. Hope some rain comes your way on a rest day.

I did get in a short bike ride today (outside!!). Amazing how mid-40s feels balmy these days. Most of the day was spent moving and splitting wood though, and I'm still not halfway done with the job. Wish that could count toward my strength training, but I'm afraid it only counts toward aches and pains :-)

Have a great Sunday everyone!

Stu
2014-02-02 7:03 AM
in reply to: juneapple

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Challenge Update CLOSED

Big week for me!

Wt loss  3 pounds=30 points

no gain=                  5 points

workouts =684 min=22.8 points

---------------------------------------

57.8 points

2014-02-02 7:04 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by juneapple

Gotta say to you Californians that this is one of the few years where I've been kind of wishing I was out there instead...

Stu

I don't know Stu - it only got up to 61 yesterday, and it was 42 when I ran in the morning.  Almost had to put on a jacket!

2014-02-02 7:09 AM
in reply to: JREDFLY

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Originally posted by JREDFLY
Originally posted by lutzman Man, good luck with figuring out a solution. I don't know what I would do if I could no longer wear my contacts. My eyes are around 20/400, so I'm a blind man walking without glasses. I've joked with friends that if I don't have my contacts in I can't see the black line on the bottom of the pool. Not true, but also not far off. Steve
Hi Steve - Have you ever lost a contact swimming? I can't wear contacts right now because I have something going on where the film on my eye is getting scratchedd. My doctor said it is like having a ton of sand from the beach in your eye, A little painful but the new eyedrops they gave me seem to help. The thing that stinks and it's kind of funny but the pool seems very long and even on my sprints the turnaround markers seem a mile away. I feel like Mister Magoo does a triathlons. Now this is Gray Guy and Gal thread some of you should remember him and for those who don't he was blind as a bat.

Bummer!  Sounds like a corneal abrasion and yes, they are quite painful!You have to let it heal up.

I wear daily disposables to swim and once I am showered I change into  my regular contacts.  Blind as a bat without them and can definitely relate to the Mr Magoo comment!.  My eye doctor really didn't want me to swim in contacts at all, but the quality of prescription goggles is lacking--and I would need something for race day anyway so this was the acceptable solution.  Key is clean lenses.  You really can't trust the pools to be all that clean. Truthfully, you can be better off swimming open water than in some public pools.

2014-02-02 7:18 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

I went to the Endurance Symposium yesterday, overall very good.  Michelllie Jones is fabulous, would love to just hang and hear her stories!  Chris Carmichael and Frankie Andreau were great as well, energetic, knew the content they wanted to present....The rest of the day various doctors spoke.  One of them is a local guy I have seen in the office and don't like.  He was as much of a jerk presenting his topic as he was in the office.  One of his associates also spoke--and he was good---referrred to the first doc as the comedy warm up which was appropriate cause Dr #1 was trying to crack jokes and be funny--all unnecessary.

Several other Dr's throughout the day.  The 2 that have the overuse injuries/ runners clinic at UVA were awesome.  Knowledgable and built well on the associate who was good above.....Another Dr spoke late in the day and he blew through stuff on VO2 max/ FTP and all that like we were all subject matter experts so I really didn't get much from him.  

It's going to be an annual event--hopefully next year there will be nutrition lectures and such.  People with coaching certifications got CEU's  but the many health professionals in the room didn't (lots of PT's , a recognized a cardiologist from the hospital who runs and my kids old orthodontist)

Found out that the one Master Swim in the area that I really want to take part in is a whole lot closer to me than I initially thought so I may be switching over there.  Not making progress with the Master's program at my gym as the instructors post workouts then offer little feedback so I don't even swim in with them anymore.

Edited by QueenZipp 2014-02-02 7:20 AM
2014-02-02 7:25 AM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Workout - 733.5 minutes - 24.4 points

No change in weight - 5 points

Total - 29.4 points

2014-02-02 8:23 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: Scott Tinley Article
Came across this old musing of Scott Tinley's from 2011 that I imagine folks in here would appreciate.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...

Stu

2014-02-02 8:24 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by k9car363

Gotta say to you Californians that this is one of the few years where I've been kind of wishing I was out there instead...

Stu

I don't know Stu - it only got up to 61 yesterday, and it was 42 when I ran in the morning.  Almost had to put on a jacket!

Good thing you didn't or I'd be calling you a weenie ;-)
2014-02-02 8:28 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by QueenZipp

Several other Dr's throughout the day.  The 2 that have the overuse injuries/ runners clinic at UVA were awesome.  Knowledgable and built well on the associate who was good above.....Another Dr spoke late in the day and he blew through stuff on VO2 max/ FTP and all that like we were all subject matter experts so I really didn't get much from him.  

Judi - do you remember the names of the UVa docs?

And 57 points for the week... seriously? You realize that taking off your lead jacket doesn't count, right? (Nicely done!! Congrats!!)

Stu
2014-02-02 9:30 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Originally posted by QueenZipp

Judi - do you remember the names of the UVa docs? And 57 points for the week... seriously? You realize that taking off your lead jacket doesn't count, right? (Nicely done!! Congrats!!) Stu

One of the UVA docs was Dr Robert Wilder, I think the other one was Dr Miller.  They do a run clinic symposium in early March.

2014-02-02 9:50 AM

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Wow, impressive training numbers here. I can see that I picked the wrong week to stall out.

Training time 290 minutes \30= 9.6 pts
.9 weight increase = -9 pts.

So no points for me this week.

On a positive note, we had a break in the cold yesterday (33 degrees at 8am, yeehaww!) . I got outside and did my first 10 mile run yesterday. Felt pretty good to run without wearing gloves.

Next order of business is to get my calorie intake under control.

Hope everyone has a great week.

2014-02-02 10:04 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay

Judi you are crushing us in this challenge!!

1 pound gain for the week= -10 points

Workout 342 minutes= 11.4 points

Total for the week: 1 point

I have been trying to get my weight in the 120s for 2 or 3 years!  Every time I get there it is gained back the next week.  So frustrating.  It is amazing how strongly a body will defend it's set point!  There is always next week.

Enjoy the "warm" weather all!

Edited by KOM 2014-02-02 10:13 AM

2014-02-02 10:52 AM
in reply to: KOM

User image

Ate bad and skipped a day of exercise and it shows- gained 2 pounds -20pts and 5.5 hr exercise +11= -9pts
2014-02-02 12:25 PM
in reply to: Kris67

User image

Expert
Missouri

A change in training plans plus a missed workout this week. 

no weight change - 5
200 mins workout - 4
total of 9 points for the week

Janet

2014-02-02 1:32 PM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Expert
Falls Church

1 lb lost = 10 points

No weight gain = 5 points

467 minutes = 15 points

Total = 30 points.

2014-02-02 2:21 PM
in reply to: hoffsquared

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: Weight/Nutrition/Cheating Question

It's Super Bowl Sunday - and in my house that means a Super Bowl party and FOOD!  Chips, dips, chicken wings, hot dogs, nachos, all the easy to eat game day food.  LOTS of food, and NONE of it is healthy!

It brings up an interesting question.  Especially for those of us struggling with weight and nutrition.  I for one walk a daily tightrope, balancing between taking in enough calories to fuel my workouts without over doing it, and balancing macro-nutrients so I have the correct fuel.  Take in too many calories and it goes straight to my belly.  Don't take in enough carbs and the body says, "Oh look, there is some lean muscle over here I can convert into fuel" - and suddenly I am losing lean muscle mass that I have worked so hard to build.  It is especially frustrating when I have a big workout week, step on the scale only to see little or no weight loss, and lose muscle mass because I took in the wrong stuff.

So my question for the group - How do YOU handle all things nutrition and weight?  Do you count every calorie and know the exact macro-nutrient ratios you take in?  Do you follow a strict diet or not so much?  Do you allow yourself a cheat day or meal?  Last Tuesday, my wife and I sat down to watch 'Biggest Loser' and put a SERIOUS dent into a box of Ding-Dongs.  We felt pretty naughty doing it, and it was humorous at the time - right up to the moment I stepped on the scale.  Do you allow yourself that kind of indiscretion?  Where, or how, do you draw the line in the sand that you won't cross?

I do well for a couple weeks and then I somehow sabotage myself and step back a couple weeks.  Just wondering how everyone else deals with the day to day nutrition/weight struggle.

2014-02-02 2:26 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: Super Bowl XLVIII

Alright, so this has NOTHING to do with Triathlon!

Anyone care that the Super Bowl is this afternoon?  If so, who are you rooting for?

Most of the season I have said, "I don't see anyone beating Seattle."  Then the 49'ers almost beat Seattle.  So now I am thinking it can be done.

Sorry Steve, I am pulling for Denver.

2014-02-02 2:49 PM

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Subject: RE: Super Bowl XLVIII

Anyone care that the Super Bowl is this afternoon?  If so, who are you rooting for?

Most of the season I have said, "I don't see anyone beating Seattle."  Then the 49'ers almost beat Seattle.  So now I am thinking it can be done.

You and everyone else, Scott.
2014-02-02 3:18 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by lutzman

You and everyone else, Scott.

Not QUITE everyone

2014-02-02 3:56 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Scott,

You pose some good questions about snacking and Super Bowl and life in general.  I do not count every morsel of food that I put into my mouth.  But after many years of weight issues I know abut how many servings of what food need to be cut back and when.  I try to make the majority of my intake come from things that my body has to work at to digest: whole grains in reasonable servings, lots of veggies and fruit.  Limit the meats (I am leaning toward vegetarian but my family isn't there), monitor the amount of recovery food.....

It's hard work either way, but the weighing and measuring just makes me a bit insane so I really work on watching portion sizes with healthy foods.

2014-02-02 6:46 PM
in reply to: soccermom15

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by triguy1043
Views: 18747 Posts: 190

2014-04-02 11:34 AM lsousa
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 24, 2012
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 3
I didn’t used to like to run slow. You begin to recalibrate your needs and wants and if-only you could jog an easy two miles, three times per week. Running is a gift.

date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete
date : December 4, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
She's back. We were able to interview Deanna Babcock, a triathlete who galvanized the forums over several months with her story of a tragic accident and subsequent recovery.

date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.
date : February 8, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 25
No one likes to look like a fool, but it’s hard not to when you don’t know what you’re doing as a beginner, so if it helps, go ahead and pretend.

date : May 30, 2005
author : pjsuperhawk
Maintaining a positive attitude and a sense of priority will be my keys to success. Before summer fades into fall, I will be a Triathlete and eager to race again.
date : October 3, 2004
author : scuba-punk
He looked at us and flat out told us that he wouldn't accept any of us as his students at a technical diving level with the poor level of physical fitness we had.

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.