BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2015-01-06 1:28 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Chatham Ontario
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)
Originally posted by jmkizer

I saw that Spanky requested to join the Super Secret Order of the Manatee on Strava.  Then I noticed our, umm, saying.  "Fachmie, it's Whopper time!"  Perhaps we should explain?

Chris B, don't we have a document about that?

Yanti, since you aren't sleeping anyway, would you care to tackle that one?

ruh roh what have I gotten myself into? I hope it has nothing to do with eating whoppers. That is like the ex-lax of the fast food industry.

I was just reading all this jack daniels running thing. And here I had hoped it was "Complete a run, do a shot of burbon." But I guess I am wrong on that.

2015-01-06 1:30 PM
in reply to: Techdiver

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by Techdiver

I saw that Spanky requested to join the Super Secret Order of the Manatee on Strava.  Then I noticed our, umm, saying.  "Fachmie, it's Whopper time!"  Perhaps we should explain?

ruh roh what have I gotten myself into? I hope it has nothing to do with eating whoppers. That is like the ex-lax of the fast food industry. I was just reading all this jack daniels running thing. And here I had hoped it was "Complete a run, do a shot of burbon." But I guess I am wrong on that.

Wait, what? That's not how it works????

2015-01-06 1:32 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

ruh roh what have I gotten myself into? I hope it has nothing to do with eating whoppers. That is like the ex-lax of the fast food industry. I was just reading all this jack daniels running thing. And here I had hoped it was "Complete a run, do a shot of burbon." But I guess I am wrong on that.

Beer Mile

Milk Mile

Bourbon Mile

Why not?

2015-01-06 1:33 PM

User image

Seattle

Wait, no one said you were wrong...

2015-01-06 1:53 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Denver, CO

Beer Mile

Milk Mile

Bourbon Mile

Why not?

We have an eggnog challenge race here.  Chug some eggnog, run, chug some more.  Not sure if it's alcoholic or not but either way, definitely a challenge.  Darren, you wouldn't know what I'm talking about.

Edited by laffinrock 2015-01-06 1:54 PM
2015-01-06 1:56 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by laffinrock

Beer Mile

Milk Mile

Bourbon Mile

Why not?

We have an eggnog challenge race here.  Chug some eggnog, run, chug some more.  Not sure if it's alcoholic or not but either way, definitely a challenge.  Darren, you wouldn't know what I'm talking about.

Well and quite honestly if there were alcohol in it, there wouldn't be an increase in challenge of the the run/chug part, it would be the getting home part. 

2015-01-06 2:03 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

For me, it's complete a run, down a few pints of beer. I've got a kegerator and frosty mugs at home as my carrot.

On JD, it all boils down to running with a purpose.  To understand the physiological adaptations you gain from each type of workout has been very transformational to my training.

2015-01-06 2:09 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Wait, no one said you were wrong...

Maybe that's why I couldn't hang in the JD plan... not enough bourbon!!!!!!!!

2015-01-06 2:10 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Beer Mile

Milk Mile

Bourbon Mile

Why not?

What?!?!!?!? WHEN?!?!?!?!?!?! How did "we" miss that one?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

2015-01-06 2:24 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by ponderingfox

Any thoughts on following a swimming training plan vs. swimming with a masters group?  My masters group meets for 1.5 hour sessions.  I usually do a couple a week.

Wish I knew, as I'm thinking about trying a masters group but never have.  I'd **imagine** that it depends both on what motivates you (can you hit workout targets on your own, or do you do better with the competition/encouragement of others in the pool with you) and the types of workouts that masters group does.

If their workouts are close to what you need, I could see it being very helpful (swimming with swimmers, running with runners, riding with cyclists - all tend to up one's game).  However, if you have a few things that you need to work on (and know what they are and how to do that - or have a coach, etc.), then it's time not spent on those things.

All in, I'm going to give it a go and see what happens, I think.  For me, I've found that I need to get some long intervals in weekly (I know that this goes against the received wisdom for how to swim, but it has helped me racing), so I'll probably mix some masters with some longer, solo OWS.

How was that for not particularly helpful?!? 

Would love to hear others' thoughts.

Matt

\

I do like swimming with other people.  Triathlon can be such a solo sport.  A year ago when I was very consistent with the group, I was moving up the lanes with the group, and we have some very fast swimmer swimmers.  I made the mistake of not swimming with the group this summer and didn't end up swimming at all. That was quite detrimental to my swim fitness, as you would imagine.

I think what you're saying makes sense.  I know I would like to toss in some 1000y or 1500y sets on a Sunday to make sure that I'm doing the long interval stuff.  Though I will say that in the summer our group does 30 min sets in a 50m pool.  Those are awesome.

Swimming with the group is good, I just always question my need to do other strokes.  I know it helps all around fitness, but I have NO desire to swim fly at all. Whatsoever.  But I do go further and faster than if I were by myself.

Maybe I just miss being in the gym pool and being the fastest person there.  Swimming with swimmers is humbling.

2015-01-06 2:31 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by rrrunner

Beer Mile

Milk Mile

Bourbon Mile

Why not?

Of course I can't find it now.  I think it was on a day I couldn't do it or had another race or something.  While looking for it, I did find this:

http://www.utahrunning.com/index.php/events/race/ref/Eggnog-Mile

2015-01-06 2:37 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

shorten

shorten

Beer Mile

Milk Mile

Bourbon Mile

Why not?

Of course I can't find it now.  I think it was on a day I couldn't do it or had another race or something.  While looking for it, I did find this:

Looks like a good 2015 Manatee Meetup!

2015-01-06 2:40 PM
in reply to: popsracer

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by popsracer

Do your easy runs gets faster over time or do you try to stick with a certain pace over long periods of time?  I know a lot of fast runners run most of their miles at what would seem really slow compared to what they race or do quality workouts at.  As the fast get faster do easy runs stay the same and just get easier with more emphasis on improving quality workout paces or do all types of workouts get progressively faster?  I hope that question makes sense.

I ask because my easy runs have progressively gotten faster over the last three years or so.  I'm beginning to wonder if I am running them too fast compared to my race times.  I try to follow Jack Daniels pace charts but my VDOT varies widely (42-47) depending on the race distance I use to calculate my paces and I feel I need to back off.  What is your rule of thumb for easy pace runs?

For me, not really. But it depends a lot on what I am doing. Volume seems sets my 'easy' pacing vs the progression of my performance/speed.

I would caution you not to run much faster than the VDOT prescribed easy paces, though. Running faster easy runs isn't really doing much for you, physiologically, its just putting more stress on your body and making your races and quality workouts suffer. 

That's exactly right and why I feel this constant struggle to reel myself back in.  As I get fitter, my easy pace seems to get faster.  Like you say, there is a point where you cross a line to where you are actually compromising the rest of your program.  I am trying to find that line.  I tell myself I'm going to run a certain pace but my body wants to go a bit faster.  Most of my pure runner friends seem to push beyond this whole concept and turn every run into a race.  I quit running with them when I realized this was not in my best interest.  I see the benefit of pushing the swim and to some extent the bike but not with running. 

Maybe that's part of the problem.  The training mentality is so different between the three parts and it takes a lot of discipline to change mental gears.  What a crazy sport. 

Are you able to hit the paces for your quality workouts? How about races?

My problem is that my VDOT varies so much.  For a 5k, I'm about 47 and HM about 42.  I've always been faster the shorter the race relative to my age group.  This makes it hard to really establish what my training paces should be, especially my easy pace.  I tend to set my training paces at the higher VDOT especially for quality workouts since my tendency is better performance the shorter the distance.   I think it is partially why my easy pace tends to also gravitiate that way and why I am concerned.   

I do hit my VDOT paces for quality workouts though the only quality I've done in a few months is a weekly 3 mile tempo run that also has to be altered for the fact I do it in the dark on sidewalks and curbs, traffic, etc.  When I was doing weekly track sessions of R pace stuff I was pretty comfortable with my 5k VDOT.  For races, I do hit my VDOT if I alter it to the distance.

What best represents your current fitness? You mentioned some races. What I see listed there is a 5k a month ago, a marathon 7 months ago and a half marathon 10 months ago. The 5k is the best bet to represent where you are now.

Do know that the range for "easy" is fairly loose. Maybe only slightly faster (and this isn't necessarily "better"), but it can go quite a bit slower. Someone at 47 would still be fine if their easy runs were closer to the 9:30 or so of 42-43 or so, the lower end of the VDOT estimates. If you're not running any faster work, I'd look more at that first (any particular reason you're not?). Then see how to adjust the easy pacing to be able to hit those runs well. With easy running, try to think more along the "lots" as opposed to pushing fast enough. It's hard to run so slow it isn't really doing any good.

2015-01-06 2:40 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Melon Presser

Any thoughts on following a swimming training plan vs. swimming with a masters group?  My masters group meets for 1.5 hour sessions.  I usually do a couple a week.

Wish I knew, as I'm thinking about trying a masters group but never have.  I'd **imagine** that it depends both on what motivates you (can you hit workout targets on your own, or do you do better with the competition/encouragement of others in the pool with you) and the types of workouts that masters group does.

If their workouts are close to what you need, I could see it being very helpful (swimming with swimmers, running with runners, riding with cyclists - all tend to up one's game).  However, if you have a few things that you need to work on (and know what they are and how to do that - or have a coach, etc.), then it's time not spent on those things.

All in, I'm going to give it a go and see what happens, I think.  For me, I've found that I need to get some long intervals in weekly (I know that this goes against the received wisdom for how to swim, but it has helped me racing), so I'll probably mix some masters with some longer, solo OWS.

Matt

\

I do like swimming with other people.  Triathlon can be such a solo sport.  A year ago when I was very consistent with the group, I was moving up the lanes with the group, and we have some very fast swimmer swimmers.  I made the mistake of not swimming with the group this summer and didn't end up swimming at all. That was quite detrimental to my swim fitness, as you would imagine.

I think what you're saying makes sense.  I know I would like to toss in some 1000y or 1500y sets on a Sunday to make sure that I'm doing the long interval stuff.  Though I will say that in the summer our group does 30 min sets in a 50m pool.  Those are awesome.

Swimming with the group is good, I just always question my need to do other strokes.  I know it helps all around fitness, but I have NO desire to swim fly at all. Whatsoever.  But I do go further and faster than if I were by myself.

Maybe I just miss being in the gym pool and being the fastest person there.  Swimming with swimmers is humbling.

I was going to ask about what the swimmers and coaching are like in that particular group.

I think you answered your own question

You would be hard pressed to find a good coach who DOESN'T think medley (strokes) is good for open water swimmers. Fly sucks. I hear you. Even flyers think fly sucks. But you will build more swim-specific strength that relates directly to freestyle even doing a really crappy fly than you will endless laps of free.

This post goes into more detail:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=474259&page=1

Just IMO--long interval stuff every week isn't necessary. Maybe every month. And with as many Olys as you plan to race

And if I haven't already flogged this horse enough (and been flogged, come to think of it), Sheila's new book:

http://www.velopress.com/books/swim-speed-strokes-for-swimmers-and-triathletes/

The underwater arm position and how it propels you is essentially the same in all four competitive strokes.

2015-01-06 2:46 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Matt

\

I was going to ask about what the swimmers and coaching are like in that particular group.

You would be hard pressed to find a good coach who DOESN'T think medley (strokes) is good for open water swimmers. Fly sucks. I hear you. Even flyers think fly sucks. But you will build more swim-specific strength that relates directly to freestyle even doing a really crappy fly than you will endless laps of free.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=474259&page=1

Just IMO--long interval stuff every week isn't necessary. Maybe every month. And with as many Olys as you plan to race

And if I haven't already flogged this horse enough (and been flogged, come to think of it), Sheila's new book:

The underwater arm position and how it propels you is essentially the same in all four competitive strokes.

This is all good stuff.  I'm glad to say that I haven't been in a pool in months.  Maybe one day I'll miss it.

2015-01-06 2:52 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake

shorten

shorten

Beer Mile

Milk Mile

Bourbon Mile

Why not?

I did this race last year, It was a lot of fun. http://www.pubshuffle.duluthrunning.com/ Im in photo 37 just to the right of the pace "beer" setter.

Edited by tcarlson78 2015-01-06 2:57 PM

2015-01-06 3:39 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Denver, CO

shorten

shorten

Beer Mile

Milk Mile

Bourbon Mile

Why not?

Maybe we could do it as a relay.  Otherwise, I'll spectate, thank you.

2015-01-06 3:43 PM
in reply to: tcarlson78

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by tcarlson78

shorten

shorten

Beer Mile

Milk Mile

Bourbon Mile

Why not?

I did this race last year, It was a lot of fun. http://www.pubshuffle.duluthrunning.com/Im in photo 37 just to the right of the pace "beer" setter.

I wondered which lake you were near.  I used to live in Southern MN and my ex's parents lived in Hibbing.  Looks like a blast and remarkably good weather for Duluth too!

2015-01-06 4:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Matt

\

Honestly, backstroke is my best stroke.  Too bad I can't see where I'm going, otherwise I'd do it for a tri.

2015-01-06 5:20 PM

User image

I like the sound of the Bourbon Mile...

2015-01-06 5:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Matt

\

If I recall correctly from my long ago time in the pool in high school

FLY = abs and Lats of steel.

A couple of us girls who used to 'specialise' in fly had better abs than most of the boys. Unfortunately after 20+ years of not swimming my abs up and moved somewhere and I am having trouble locating them! maybe it's time for some fly.

2015-01-06 5:49 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by StaceyK If I recall correctly from my long ago time in the pool in high school FLY = abs and Lats of steel. A couple of us girls who used to 'specialise' in fly had better abs than most of the boys. Unfortunately after 20+ years of not swimming my abs up and moved somewhere and I am having trouble locating them! maybe it's time for some fly.

Perhaps they took flight?  In any case, they seem to be abs-ent.  (Sorry, end of the work day and I'm feeling a little punchy.)

2015-01-06 7:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by StaceyK If I recall correctly from my long ago time in the pool in high school FLY = abs and Lats of steel. A couple of us girls who used to 'specialise' in fly had better abs than most of the boys. Unfortunately after 20+ years of not swimming my abs up and moved somewhere and I am having trouble locating them! maybe it's time for some fly.

Perhaps they took flight?  In any case, they seem to be abs-ent.  (Sorry, end of the work day and I'm feeling a little punchy.)

Welllllllllllllllllllll...

Since we're in the mood...

Do you know what breed of dog is the worst at hide and seek?

Dalmatians. They're always spotted.

2015-01-06 9:25 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake
Originally posted by msteiner

Matt

\

This is all good stuff.  I'm glad to say that I haven't been in a pool in months.  Maybe one day I'll miss it.

I am sad to say that I can only do a free, and less than half buttocks breast stroke. Backstroke = survival and Fly = a lifeguard response. Although I can side stroke forever, it must be an oxygen thing with me. I would love to work on all of the strokes to be a better swimmer. I know I have a coach, but need to find time with him and a pool to work in.
2015-01-06 10:38 PM
in reply to: tcarlson78

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA
Hi all....just wanted to break in totally off topic...So I went on my 4th run since Friday--an itty-bitty run... And the same distance as my Friday run--yet I went about a minute/mile faster tonight....but what gets me is that I felt slower than EVER....like running on molasses slow. I just don't get it.Anyway, that is all, carry on.
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 55392 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.