BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun Mentor Group- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 328

2010-04-12 8:49 PM
in reply to: #2786715

User image

Champion
marietta
Subject: RE: swbkrun Mentor Group- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!!
Reno8 - 2010-04-12 7:32 PM You guys (and gals ) are the best....that is why I wanted to stay in this group even though I was not going to be racing this year.  Ya'll are the best.

I will be around and Inspiring and PM'ing you that are racing and training and living my 2010 season through your success'.

Thanks again

STeve

sorry to hear it man.  glad you're sticking with us!

2010-04-12 8:53 PM
in reply to: #2786605

User image

Champion
marietta
Jeepguy2358 - 2010-04-12 6:37 PM I got some really fantastic news and have to share.  For the past three weeks, I have been unable to run.  I had a pain in my left knee that was so painful, at times I couldn't even walk.  I went to the doc for some xrays.  They showed nothing.  His initial thought was a tear in the lateral meniscus.  He wanted me to wait on an MRI to see if it would heal on it's own.  It has gotten better, but has not fully healed, so I went for the MRI today and it shows I have some soft tissue swelling around my IT Band insertion point, but no tears.  He actually said everything looks great!  Now, the plan is to make sure I ice and take NSAID's as needed.  I had gotten to the point of looking past IMLOO for another race later in the year, which I didn't want to do. 

As I was leaving, another doc in the group who did IMFL this year, suggested I get my bike fit checked.  It turns out, the guy he recommended is amazing.  He works directly with a PT when doing the fitting.  Together, they do a full physical analysis and find the best possible position for my body type.  My fitting is next Tuesday.  I can't wait!!!

you pro golfers amaze me.  all you do is walk around all day swinging a club and berating your caddie.  beside crashing cars into trees, why is it so hard to avoid injury?

good to here loo is still on the table!  but you still need to bring beer to augusta!!!
2010-04-12 9:15 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Reno8 - 2010-04-12 6:32 PM You guys (and gals ) are the best....that is why I wanted to stay in this group even though I was not going to be racing this year.  Ya'll are the best.

I will be around and Inspiring and PM'ing you that are racing and training and living my 2010 season through your success'.

Thanks again

STeve

Relax and enjoy the healing process for this summer Steve.
 After all these shoulder surgeries, you'll be swimming the Six-Million-dollar Man in the fall!!
2010-04-12 9:34 PM
in reply to: #2786961

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Did AF_Sarge make it to this group?  I am at an AF base in TN today so wasn't sure if that was where he was stationed or not.

Also ate dinner at the restaurant where the Rev3 race starts from next month.  LOL, the guys I was with had about 40 bucks together to see if they could get me to jump off the dock and swim across and back. 

As far as the fit stuff goes, Retul is a pretty sweet tool.  My coach/fitter has it and used it for my fit.  Nice way to track fits from session to session.  Now only if I could get my back/hips to agree with the way I want to be fit, I would be even faster : )

Here is the pdf it spits out.

Tony Fit

Edited by dalessit 2010-04-12 9:36 PM
2010-04-12 9:50 PM
in reply to: #2786823

User image

Champion
GoFaster - 2010-04-12 9:19 PM
ryanp100 - 2010-04-12 5:30 PM
GoFaster - 2010-04-12 1:26 PM Agreed - but if I'm in my smallest gear pushing 300+, what am I supposed to do at that point?  Just pedal slower?
As a couple of others have alluded to, it's the wattage that's important here, and making sure that you're not blowing your legs for the rest of the ride or run. The tendency for most people is to go too hard uphill and then not be able to keep the watts up on the downhill. 300w is some pretty hefty power. Can I ask what your FTP is? What's your gearing? I'm assuming a 39 small ring in the front, and maybe a 23 or 25 for the largest cog on your cassette?

Not sure what my FTP is yet, I'm planning on testing it this week.  I took a look at the numbers from that ride and I can see that for the 1/2km climb, my avg watts were 293 (guess I exagerrated on the 300+) and speed 16.9kmph - so I'm not moving very fast.  I did most of the climb 39/23 and shifted down to 39/25 near the end when it got steepest.  Hopefully I can ride a proper hill this weekend and see what the power looks like over a longer stretch.

But to my original question - what should I do about riding at a more conservative level when the gears run out?  Is it really a case of pedaling slower, cause that just makes me think I have to work harder to turn the crank over.

This is something I have on tap to talk with my coach about this week after I get back.

Obviously you can't ride at a  tempo type zone.  When I hit hills and want to go up them quickly I am usually in the 800+ wattage range.  I can ride them in the low 300's or high 200's but takes longer to get up.

Which is the right way to do them?  This is my first year of really riding by watts strictly.  Very different from road racing where hills are the opportunity to separate yourself from the pack.

LOL, when I get a good answer from him I'll share it.

Also TBH since you are new at riding with power, now is the time to just collect data.  Figure out what it feels like to ride at 200 watts for 30 minutes, spike at 800+ watts, watts you put out in flats, vs. hills, etc.  It will really help once you figure out those power zones.

2010-04-12 9:56 PM
in reply to: #2786823

User image

Veteran
GoFaster - 2010-04-12 6:19 PM
Not sure what my FTP is yet, I'm planning on testing it this week.  I took a look at the numbers from that ride and I can see that for the 1/2km climb, my avg watts were 293 (guess I exagerrated on the 300+) and speed 16.9kmph - so I'm not moving very fast.  I did most of the climb 39/23 and shifted down to 39/25 near the end when it got steepest.  Hopefully I can ride a proper hill this weekend and see what the power looks like over a longer stretch.

But to my original question - what should I do about riding at a more conservative level when the gears run out?  Is it really a case of pedaling slower, cause that just makes me think I have to work harder to turn the crank over.

It's a little difficult to answer your original question without some other knowledge about your threshold power and weight, but I'll give it a shot. Other power-minded people should be sure to jump in as necessary! I generally don't like to mess with my cadence very much: I'd rather stay around 85 rpm and shift accordingly. Power = torque x cadence. So by keeping cadence (relatively) constant, I can vary my power output by changing the force applied to the pedals. Without getting into Type I/II muscle fiber recruitment blah blah blah, I think it's better to err on the side of spinning rather than mashing, especially for long course racing. In other words, I'd rather drop the torque and keep the cadence rather than keep the torque and drop the cadence.

SOOOOO... how does that relate to your original question? Pedaling slower is most likely not the answer, IMHO. Unless you're at 90+ RPM and you have a little wiggle room to drop that to high 70ish to reduce your power output, I'd think about possible switching out your cassette to a 12/27 or maybe looking at compact cranks. That will allow you to keep your cadence and drop the torque by shifting gears. Of course, you can always drop your speed as well. I have no idea how much you weigh, but at 75kg, 17 km/hr, and 300w, that implies about an 8% grade on the hill, which is definitely no easy slope.

With that being said, there's nothing wrong with going north of 300w. You mentioned that you averaged around 185w on your ride. I did a two hour ride today where I averaged 173w, with a NP of 196w. It was a very hilly course, so I purposefully pushed harder on the hills than I would in a race; in fact, my peak 1 minute power was 378w, which is way above my threshold of 240. Would I race that way? Nope. But in training? You bet.

I think most people's eyes glazed over two paragraphs ago (except Tony... I know he's following along!), but I'd be more than willing to try to answer some more questions if you shoot me an email: ryan at fpasset dot com.

2010-04-12 10:04 PM
in reply to: #2787053

User image

Veteran
dalessit - 2010-04-12 7:50 PM
This is something I have on tap to talk with my coach about this week after I get back.

Obviously you can't ride at a  tempo type zone.  When I hit hills and want to go up them quickly I am usually in the 800+ wattage range.  I can ride them in the low 300's or high 200's but takes longer to get up.

Which is the right way to do them?  This is my first year of really riding by watts strictly.  Very different from road racing where hills are the opportunity to separate yourself from the pack.

Also TBH since you are new at riding with power, now is the time to just collect data.  Figure out what it feels like to ride at 200 watts for 30 minutes, spike at 800+ watts, watts you put out in flats, vs. hills, etc.  It will really help once you figure out those power zones.

HA! I knew you'd be all over this. 800+w?
2010-04-12 10:05 PM
in reply to: #2787066

User image

Champion
ryanp100 - 2010-04-12 10:56 PM
GoFaster - 2010-04-12 6:19 PM Not sure what my FTP is yet, I'm planning on testing it this week.  I took a look at the numbers from that ride and I can see that for the 1/2km climb, my avg watts were 293 (guess I exagerrated on the 300+) and speed 16.9kmph - so I'm not moving very fast.  I did most of the climb 39/23 and shifted down to 39/25 near the end when it got steepest.  Hopefully I can ride a proper hill this weekend and see what the power looks like over a longer stretch.

It's a little difficult to answer your original question without some other knowledge about your threshold power and weight, but I'll give it a shot. Other power-minded people should be sure to jump in as necessary! I generally don't like to mess with my cadence very much: I'd rather stay around 85 rpm and shift accordingly. Power = torque x cadence. So by keeping cadence (relatively) constant, I can vary my power output by changing the force applied to the pedals. Without getting into Type I/II muscle fiber recruitment blah blah blah, I think it's better to err on the side of spinning rather than mashing, especially for long course racing. In other words, I'd rather drop the torque and keep the cadence rather than keep the torque and drop the cadence. SOOOOO... how does that relate to your original question? Pedaling slower is most likely not the answer, IMHO. Unless you're at 90+ RPM and you have a little wiggle room to drop that to high 70ish to reduce your power output, I'd think about possible switching out your cassette to a 12/27 or maybe looking at compact cranks. That will allow you to keep your cadence and drop the torque by shifting gears. Of course, you can always drop your speed as well. I have no idea how much you weigh, but at 75kg, 17 km/hr, and 300w, that implies about an 8% grade on the hill, which is definitely no easy slope. With that being said, there's nothing wrong with going north of 300w. You mentioned that you averaged around 185w on your ride. I did a two hour ride today where I averaged 173w, with a NP of 196w. It was a very hilly course, so I purposefully pushed harder on the hills than I would in a race; in fact, my peak 1 minute power was 378w, which is way above my threshold of 240. Would I race that way? Nope. But in training? You bet. I think most people's eyes glazed over two paragraphs ago (except Tony... I know he's following along!), but I'd be more than willing to try to answer some more questions if you shoot me an email: ryan at fpasset dot com.

hehe I have had 2 32 oz beers tonight so I read over it about 2-3 times : )

I am trying to figure that out for myself now.  At the olympic distance, burning quite a few matches isn't such a big deal because the race isn't so long. i.e. no harm in pushing out big numbers on a few climbs because it's only 26 or so miles.  But when you get to 56 and higher, pushing extra watts on multiple hills is going to add up and leave you with less energy to finish the bike and then run.

That's one of the fun parts of this sport is figuring out what you limits are and to figure out how best to work within them.

2010-04-12 10:07 PM
in reply to: #2787085

User image

Champion
ryanp100 - 2010-04-12 11:04 PM
dalessit - 2010-04-12 7:50 PM This is something I have on tap to talk with my coach about this week after I get back.

HA! I knew you'd be all over this. 800+w?

hehe remember you weigh what like 90 lbs?  Those of us that carry around more junk in the trunk can push out some bigger numbers ; )  And that is a max wattage, nothing carried for very long.

Also, did you see Cancellara topped out at 1450 at Tour of Flanders last week on the last big climb.  Those guys generate some serious HP.

Edited by dalessit 2010-04-12 10:12 PM
2010-04-12 10:44 PM

User image

Master
Reno8 - 2010-04-12 7:32 PM You guys (and gals ) are the best....that is why I wanted to stay in this group even though I was not going to be racing this year.  Ya'll are the best.

Thanks again

STeve

So sorry about the surgery, Steve. When you're not out training, will you post yummy recipes for us???!! Hang in there and I'm glad you won't be a stranger! 
2010-04-12 10:46 PM

User image

Master
Jeepguy2358 - 2010-04-12 6:37 PM I got some really fantastic news and have to share.  For the past three weeks, I have been unable to run.  I had a pain in my left knee that was so painful, at times I couldn't even walk.  I went to the doc for some xrays.  They showed nothing.  His initial thought was a tear in the lateral meniscus.  He wanted me to wait on an MRI to see if it would heal on it's own.  It has gotten better, but has not fully healed, so I went for the MRI today and it shows I have some soft tissue swelling around my IT Band insertion point, but no tears.  He actually said everything looks great!  Now, the plan is to make sure I ice and take NSAID's as needed.  I had gotten to the point of looking past IMLOO for another race later in the year, which I didn't want to do. 

As I was leaving, another doc in the group who did IMFL this year, suggested I get my bike fit checked.  It turns out, the guy he recommended is amazing.  He works directly with a PT when doing the fitting.  Together, they do a full physical analysis and find the best possible position for my body type.  My fitting is next Tuesday.  I can't wait!!!

That is awesome to read!! Let us know how the fit goes, and here you go IMLOO!!!!!!!!!! 

2010-04-13 12:01 AM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Jeepguy2358 - 2010-04-12 4:37 PM I got some really fantastic news and have to share.  For the past three weeks, I have been unable to run.  I had a pain in my left knee that was so painful, at times I couldn't even walk.  I went to the doc for some xrays.  They showed nothing.  His initial thought was a tear in the lateral meniscus.  He wanted me to wait on an MRI to see if it would heal on it's own.  It has gotten better, but has not fully healed, so I went for the MRI today and it shows I have some soft tissue swelling around my IT Band insertion point, but no tears.  He actually said everything looks great!  Now, the plan is to make sure I ice and take NSAID's as needed.  I had gotten to the point of looking past IMLOO for another race later in the year, which I didn't want to do. 

So glad to hear it! Awesome News!!!
2010-04-13 12:08 AM
in reply to: #2786650

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Reno8 - 2010-04-12 5:03 PM

I was not so fortunate at the Doctors today. 

Found out I am going to have my 3rd shoulder surgery since March 8th.  This time to remove the 2 plates and 4 screws that came loose and to wire everything together.....6 more weeks in a sling and 4 weeks of rehab and I will be as good as new any 57 y.o can be. 

No races for the entire year....well maybe a late fall marathon or something like that but no tri races in 2010.

I am not as concerned about having another surgery as I cam keeping my job....I only worked about a week in a new job back in late Feb. when this started and they have held the job this long....I am afraid they may have to move on and I really can't blame them.

We shall see.

So sorry to hear you have to go in for more surgery, Steve.  I hope everything works out ok with the job. Sending lots of healing and positive thoughts your way! {{{{{Steve}}}}}}
2010-04-13 12:16 AM
in reply to: #2786750

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
swbkrun - 2010-04-12 5:44 PM
RoniS - 2010-04-12 5:13 PM
Tobey91 - 2010-04-12 3:37 PM
Great pic. 

But what is with the construction zone - including some discarded lumber - behind you?  Have you started you pirating cable TV again with that orange wire? 

Hey, what can I say... I live in a trailer park!

I love the bike, but I have to ask (seriously) is your seat pointing downward too much?  Your bike is Beautiful.  I love the white bar tape!!!

yea I've been playing around with the position, trying to make it work because I really like the way it LOOKS. I think I'm going to have to switch it out with my Terry saddle though. Just haven't quite given up yet.
2010-04-13 7:18 AM
in reply to: #2786550

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

fattyfatfat - 2010-04-12 7:11 PM suzy.  galveston and racine both have four hand-ups.  use what you have and learn how to fill it on the fly.  c'mon if i can do it ANYONE can.  not sure about IM.  edit.. not sure about it cause i've never done one, and  obviously.  not becasue i'm to lazy to look at the course map. 

steve.  since those wheels are sitting around collecting dust go ahead and throw them in the mail to texas.  i'll make sure they still work in a few weeks.

Fixed that for ya. No need to thank me.

2010-04-13 7:39 AM
in reply to: #2771574

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Suzy: I am in agreement with Steve. You should have enough on your bike with what you have. I doubled up my concentration on one of the behind the seat bottles for my IM and it worked very well. I could have just added water to my main water tank which was the Profle on the front like yours. I am reasonably efficient at doing things on the fly. I am still riding an older (historical) road bike with the gear levers on the stem so have to reach down just to change gears. I've gotten pretty good at staying in the areo postion with only one arm. Filling the Profile bottle is no problem after practising. 

TJ congrats on the placing.

Roni. Beautiful bike. Is the seat tilting just a hair to far forward. I always thought the seat should be flat.

Chris. good to hear no tears. Good luck with the fitting. Sounds like you found a good guy to help you out there.

Reno: Steve bad luck about the shoulder. Eventually it will heal. Hoepfully that will happen before you get too old and have to race with a walker. Hope they will continue to hold the job for you.

Doug re: Steve I look forward to meeting you in Augusta! Hopefully the surgery will not affect your drinking arm. I'm pretty sure that Steve probably has experience drinking with either arm. If it was Fatty no worries he probably doesn't even need hands or arms for tipping his beers.

Toni. Soooooooooo did you improve your finances by $40.00

Edited by Redknight 2010-04-13 7:43 AM

2010-04-13 8:01 AM
in reply to: #2787086

User image

Elite
Ontario
dalessit - 2010-04-12 11:05 PM
ryanp100 - 2010-04-12 10:56 PM
GoFaster - 2010-04-12 6:19 PM Not sure what my FTP is yet, I'm planning on testing it this week.  I took a look at the numbers from that ride and I can see that for the 1/2km climb, my avg watts were 293 (guess I exagerrated on the 300+) and speed 16.9kmph - so I'm not moving very fast.  I did most of the climb 39/23 and shifted down to 39/25 near the end when it got steepest.  Hopefully I can ride a proper hill this weekend and see what the power looks like over a longer stretch.

It's a little difficult to answer your original question without some other knowledge about your threshold power and weight, but I'll give it a shot. Other power-minded people should be sure to jump in as necessary! I generally don't like to mess with my cadence very much: I'd rather stay around 85 rpm and shift accordingly. Power = torque x cadence. So by keeping cadence (relatively) constant, I can vary my power output by changing the force applied to the pedals. Without getting into Type I/II muscle fiber recruitment blah blah blah, I think it's better to err on the side of spinning rather than mashing, especially for long course racing. In other words, I'd rather drop the torque and keep the cadence rather than keep the torque and drop the cadence. SOOOOO... how does that relate to your original question? Pedaling slower is most likely not the answer, IMHO. Unless you're at 90+ RPM and you have a little wiggle room to drop that to high 70ish to reduce your power output, I'd think about possible switching out your cassette to a 12/27 or maybe looking at compact cranks. That will allow you to keep your cadence and drop the torque by shifting gears. Of course, you can always drop your speed as well. I have no idea how much you weigh, but at 75kg, 17 km/hr, and 300w, that implies about an 8% grade on the hill, which is definitely no easy slope. With that being said, there's nothing wrong with going north of 300w. You mentioned that you averaged around 185w on your ride. I did a two hour ride today where I averaged 173w, with a NP of 196w. It was a very hilly course, so I purposefully pushed harder on the hills than I would in a race; in fact, my peak 1 minute power was 378w, which is way above my threshold of 240. Would I race that way? Nope. But in training? You bet. I think most people's eyes glazed over two paragraphs ago (except Tony... I know he's following along!), but I'd be more than willing to try to answer some more questions if you shoot me an email: ryan at fpasset dot com.

hehe I have had 2 32 oz beers tonight so I read over it about 2-3 times : )

I am trying to figure that out for myself now.  At the olympic distance, burning quite a few matches isn't such a big deal because the race isn't so long. i.e. no harm in pushing out big numbers on a few climbs because it's only 26 or so miles.  But when you get to 56 and higher, pushing extra watts on multiple hills is going to add up and leave you with less energy to finish the bike and then run.

That's one of the fun parts of this sport is figuring out what you limits are and to figure out how best to work within them.

Thanks for the feedback Ryan - you're guess about the hill and slope was pretty accurate, since I'm weighing in around 72kg at the moment (I know, super light weight).

Dale - 800+ watts.  I don't see myself hitting that anytime soon, that seems like a crazy high power number.

If it's okay with both of you I'd like to continue posting power questions as I have them on here, or I can switch to email.  Whichever works.

I asked this in the Tri Talk forum, but has anyone tried to marry up PT data with Forerunner 305 data?
2010-04-13 8:20 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
someone got a new toy!!!  c'mon now. post some pics. 

and roni i dig the new set up. 

Edited by fattyfatfat 2010-04-13 8:20 AM
2010-04-13 8:27 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
John:

Any luck with the CT?

Doug
2010-04-13 8:31 AM
in reply to: #2787650

User image

Champion
marietta
DougRob - 2010-04-13 8:27 AM John:

Any luck with the CT?

Doug

not yet.  jarretts on the fence.    what do you think of the price?

2010-04-13 8:31 AM

User image

Expert
San Antonio, TX

Morning all...

Just checking in.  Hope everyone is getting their training in.  I've been off for a couple days after getting in a car accident this weekend.  Everyone is ok thank goodness.  Trying to get back into my routine in between car shopping.  Ugh.

Steve...Sooo sorry to hear about the surgery.  Hope they get it right this time.  If you'd quite hanging from the chandeliers maybe your arm would heal.

Roni-  Nice bike porn.  Looks great.

Suzy-  I have a PQ and love it.  However I use it for one side for energy drink concentrate (Infinite)and the other half water ( I only fill half way due to weight).  I still used hand ups to refill the water.  I did not put any other bottles on the bike beyond this.  Practice at Lone Star.  5-6 min could put you on the podium.  This is FREE TIME.

Have a good one and hug your loved ones. 

2010-04-13 8:33 AM
in reply to: #2787674

User image

Expert
San Antonio, TX

fattyfatfat - 2010-04-13 8:31 AM
DougRob - 2010-04-13 8:27 AM John:

Any luck with the CT?

Doug

not yet.  jarretts on the fence.    what do you think of the price?

Has she seen one? Used one?  Take her to a store that has them set up and have her race against the little silver guy.  She will be sold!

2010-04-13 8:38 AM
in reply to: #2787675

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
tri-chic - 2010-04-13 9:31 AM

Morning all...

Just checking in.  Hope everyone is getting their training in.  I've been off for a couple days after getting in a car accident this weekend.  Everyone is ok thank goodness.  Trying to get back into my routine in between car shopping.  Ugh.

Sorry to hear about that...glad everyone is OK!
2010-04-13 8:41 AM
in reply to: #2787674

User image

Elite
Raleigh
It is a little high for a used one, but the extras that are included are nice and I have not seen those included before. I might offer $900.

Edited by DougRob 2010-04-13 8:42 AM
2010-04-13 8:42 AM
in reply to: #2787699

User image

Champion
marietta
gdale - 2010-04-13 8:38 AM
tri-chic - 2010-04-13 9:31 AM

Morning all...

Sorry to hear about that...glad everyone is OK!

x2!!! 

i saw this sticker on a truck the other day and thought of you.
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun Mentor Group- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!! Rss Feed  

of 328